Music: Official Pop-Punk/Post-Hardcore/Emo/etc. Thread

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Seeing Glassjaw in September, literally know nothing about them. Any suggestions (minus the ones posted here)?

Their entire Worship and Tribute album is great.

A few slower, more mellow tracks from the album:
- Must Have Run All Day
- Trailer Park Jesus
- Ape Dos Mil

A few harder songs:
- Stuck Pig
- Pink Roses
- Mu Empire

And someone already posted Tip Your Bartender, which very well might be my favorite song by them. But like I said, that entire album is awesome. I'd highly recommend it.

Then a couple tracks from their earlier album:
- Pretty Lush
- Siberian Kiss

I haven't listened to anything from them after Worship and Tribute, so that's as far as I can go.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
All I know about Glassjaw is that younger kids were into them. I just avoided that stuff like the plague.

sticking with the early 2000s vibe...

That was actually '99. Still a great album and they apparently might be releasing some new material again.

I've been disappointed by a lot of records this year. But the new Joyce Manor is at least better than the previous record:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I remember going go Hellfest back int he day in Jersey. One of the bands (I forget which band) threw fireworks and smoke bombs and **** into the mosh pit along with trash cans and baseball bats. It was nuts and the fireworks were legitimately injuring people. That set was just pure insanity. I watched the chaos from a distance.

I think another year when I was there some guy jumped off the balcony into the pit. This may have been during Underoath or something? **** if I know. Was some ****** band. But the dude broke his neck, IIRC. I think this was on the indoor soccer stadium?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Now I remember. It was during Bad Luck 13 Riot Extravaganza’s last set. There were barbed wire baseball bats and **** in the pit. Glass. Just ****ing insanity. They ripped the bleachers up and hit a bunch of people with them, too. I think they ran pretty far through the venue with them.

Trying to remember 10 years or whatever this was ago is killing me.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
Their entire Worship and Tribute album is great.

A few slower, more mellow tracks from the album:
- Must Have Run All Day
- Trailer Park Jesus
- Ape Dos Mil

A few harder songs:
- Stuck Pig
- Pink Roses
- Mu Empire

And someone already posted Tip Your Bartender, which very well might be my favorite song by them. But like I said, that entire album is awesome. I'd highly recommend it.

Then a couple tracks from their earlier album:
- Pretty Lush
- Siberian Kiss

I haven't listened to anything from them after Worship and Tribute, so that's as far as I can go.

I think my two favorite Glassjaw tracks were Natural Born Farmer and Daytona White.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lost my virginity back in the day to this song (and this album, but the song in particular):

Also, flipping an LP during sex sucks. But saving my needle (on my record player, pervs) is more important.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA

Pretty good attempt at trying to summarize the genre in 30 songs. He sticks with the "bigger name" bands and usually includes their "biggest" song and doesn't get too obscure (I'll be honest though, I never heard of Policy of Three). If you wanted to showcase the genre to someone that doesn't know anything about it, its pretty solid.

On the personal side, I never cared for Jawbreaker or Jets to Brazil so they'd be out. Same with Jimmy Eat World and Further Seems Forever. On the plus side, I love that he included The Casket Lottery. They were actually going to be the next band I linked in this thread (I will still do that, cuz they need to be heard), I'm glad he included them as they tend to get overshadowed. I also like Piebald, so it was cool to see them included.

All in all, a neat exercise and made me think about my 10 "quintessential" emo songs, I might put that together is I have some time.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
A lot of great stuff being posted.

On the non-video side of things, does anyone have any stories or shows that you're going to or have just went to? Or just any fun stories in general from shows?

I don't know what you guys consider Of Mice & Men, post hardcore, metalcore, or just generic hardcore/screamo.

But anyways 2 1/2 years ago or so they played a local show out where I live, I was still a sophomore in highschool, place was a little hole in the wall and it was jam packed. I was running in OM&M's circle pit and some guy pushed another guy whose head hit me in the mouth, right away i knew something was wrong and got out of the pit and bent over and right away blood started dripping out of my mouth. Turns out when the guy hit me I bit my lip through. So i went to the bathroom and cleaned my mouth out and did my best to get the bleeding to stop. As I'm walking out they are opening a Wall Of Death so i was like eh **** it I'll go in and proceeded to get dropped :laugh:

For whatever reason I didn't show my parents the hole in my mouth the next morning and still went to school I showed my friends and they freaked the **** out telling me i needed stitches, I actually showed one of my teachers and she made me go call my mom :laugh:

In the end I had to get five stiches in my lip and still have the scar to this day, still the only time I've had to ever get stitches. That's really my only crazy concert story.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
You know the band The Ataris? Any chance that anyone on this board used to post on their message board back in the day? I had a bunch of friends from there, and a lot of the music being mentioned here were favourites of that community. Have to ask!

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
Born and raised on Long Island, I saw Brand New and Taking Back Sunday a ton as a kid. I got to see both bands within 6 days of each other this month, AND Circa Survive opened up for Taking Back Sunday. It was a good week.

Now if only Envy on the Coast would get back together.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
You know the band The Ataris? Any chance that anyone on this board used to post on their message board back in the day? I had a bunch of friends from there, and a lot of the music being mentioned here were favourites of that community. Have to ask!

Didn't post on there but in regards to The Atari's, they're one of the very very very very few acts I've seen that had a cover that was vastly superior to the original. Talking about Boys of Summer obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad