Music: Official Pop-Punk/Post-Hardcore/Emo/etc. Thread

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I included post-hardcore/emo/others in here as well because they all tend to crossover a hundred ways when it's all said and done. :laugh:

Whilst I'm a fan of music of all genres, I find that due to my upbringing and what I listened to growing up, pop-punk and it's sub-genres has always been the genre that makes me feel most at home. Nothing better than going to a pop-punk show and being in the pit and basically becoming family members over the span of one or two songs with the random people next to you.

A lot of the pop-punk I grew up on and still listen to is mainstream and a lot of it has moved into more of a rock-oriented direction but here are some of my favorites as well as acts I'm really into currently. Also I'm aware of the exclusion of Blink 182 and Green Day - I like them both but don't love them like I do the acts below.

My all-timers (and most of them count as currents too):
Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, Brand New, alexisonfire, Anberlin, Fall Out Boy, Paramore, New Found Glory, Something Corporate, Dashboard Confessional, Yellowcard, Angels & Airwaves, Story of the Year

Currently:
The Wonder Years, Four Year Strong, We Are the In Crowd, All Time Low, The Dangerous Summer, Aaron West and the Roaring Twenties

I'm always on the hunt for more though and to talk about it, post some of your favorites in here! More points if they're still relatively unknown! :)

Here's one to get started and for any Wonder Year fans, this is Dan Campbell's side project and their debut album came out yesterday. It's awesome!

Last edited:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
220px-Hot_Damn%21_%28Every_Time_I_Die_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

I saw Four Year Strong live, they were pretty good. High energy. Opened up for Blink-182

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well I just went up to see Brand New at the Common Ground Music Festival last night, they were awesome, still one of my fave bands. Also, saw Taking Back Sunday maybe around a year ago when they were touring and playing their first album in entirety, another amazing show.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Well I just went up to see Brand New at the Common Ground Music Festival last night, they were awesome, still one of my fave bands. Also, saw Taking Back Sunday maybe around a year ago when they were touring and playing their first album in entirety, another amazing show.

I'm seeing Brand New for the first time in my life in September, never been so excited for a show.

I seen TBS three times now, last time I saw them was a few months ago when they did a co-headline with The Used. Absolutely unreal show, I actually got heat stroke. Pit life, I suppose. :laugh:

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm seeing Brand New for the first time in my life in September, never been so excited for a show.

I seen TBS three times now, last time I saw them was a few months ago when they did a co-headline with The Used. Absolutely unreal show, I actually got heat stroke. Pit life, I suppose. :laugh:

Yeah you're going to love it, it was my first time seeing them in about 10 years (I'm 30 now). I also saw Circa Survive and Say Anything last night before Brand New went on.

Yeah I actually missed that TBS tour with The Used, I wanted to see it, but them doing their entire first album was awesome I like you was dead after that show just soaking in my own sweat. It's funny because that TBS show was just a massive wide range of ages.

I also saw Finch not too long ago, they did their entire first album too, and saw NFG play their entire sticks and stones album for their anniversary. I feel old that all of the music I like are doing their "anniversary" tours now.

edit: Since someone mentioned, also saw The Starting Line last year too.

Reactions: BonMorrison

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yeah you're going to love it, it was my first time seeing them in about 10 years (I'm 30 now). I also saw Circa Survive and Say Anything last night before Brand New went on.

Yeah I actually missed that TBS tour with The Used, I wanted to see it, but them doing their entire first album was awesome I like you was dead after that show just soaking in my own sweat. It's funny because that TBS show was just a massive wide range of ages.

I also saw Finch not too long ago, they did their entire first album too, and saw NFG play their entire sticks and stones album for their anniversary. I feel old that all of the music I like are doing their "anniversary" tours now.

edit: Since someone mentioned, also saw The Starting Line and their "anniversary" show too last year.

I heard the Finch reunion tour was amazing, they have a new album coming out in September!

I went to Story of the Year's 10 year anniversary last year and that was a pretty crazy show too. The crowd was insane.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I heard the Finch reunion tour was amazing, they have a new album coming out in September!

I went to Story of the Year's 10 year anniversary last year and that was a pretty crazy show too. The crowd was insane.

It was a good show, but you know what, maybe he didn't like Detroit but they didn't seem too enthused to be there. It was like he thought he was too good to be doing that type of reunion tour show, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I felt the complete opposite about TBS, they loved doing it.

It was still a great show nonetheless and pretty nostalgic.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Story of the Year, Rise Against, A Day To Remember, Greek Fire (2 SOTY members, but a little progressive music), Blink182, Greenday, Our Last Night (just discovered them a few weeks ago), Seether, Starset, Saosin, The Damned Thing.

I like this thread. Lets just post some youtube stuff n I'll find like 12 new bands I like hahah.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Story of the Year, Rise Against, A Day To Remember, Greek Fire (2 SOTY members, but a little progressive music), Blink182, Greenday, Our Last Night (just discovered them a few weeks ago), Seether, Starset, Saosin, The Damned Thing.

I like this thread. Lets just post some youtube stuff n I'll find like 12 new bands I like hahah.

Yes! Another Greek Fire fan! I didn't list them because I find them more straight up rock as is SotY nowadays (which is awesome) but yeah, I saw them at Warped Tour and they blew me away. It started pouring rain during "Dreaming in Deja Vu" and it was one of the most magical concert experiences of my life because of it.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
Yes! Another Greek Fire fan! I didn't list them because I find them more straight up rock as is SotY nowadays (which is awesome) but yeah, I saw them at Warped Tour and they blew me away. It started pouring rain during "Dreaming in Deja Vu" and it was one of the most magical concert experiences of my life because of it.

They're one of my favorite bands! I saw SOTY's 10 year show n got to see them do an acoustic set b4 hand.

Also my name is listed in the credits in Greek Fire's new album hahaha I donated X amount on Pledgemusic (kickstarter for music) and got a signed CD and my name in the credits. LOVE them. Coming Alive is a sick song.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
They're one of my favorite bands! I saw SOTY's 10 year show n got to see them do an acoustic set b4 hand.

Also my name is listed in the credits in Greek Fire's new album hahaha I donated X amount on Pledgemusic (kickstarter for music) and got a signed CD and my name in the credits. LOVE them. Coming Alive is a sick song.

I was at the 10 Years show too, one of the most insane shows I've ever been to. People just jumping on and off the stage at their own free will with no one stopping them. :laugh:

That's awesome, my roommate donated, I was going to but blanked on it before it ended.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Coheed definitely had the emo tag on them back in the early 2000s. The Seceond Stage Turbine Blade and IKKSE3 were two of the best albums around. Brand New's always been at the top. Thursday's Full Collapse and War All the Time are up there. The Illusion of Safety by Thrice is one of my favorites. I like all of Alexisonfire's stuff, Boiled Frogs is an awesome song. Saw someone mention Saosin, They Perch on Their Stilts is another awesome song. The Movielife was always big around the Long Island scene, really poppy which I'm not always into but they always used to put on a good show. Saw their farewell show about four years back and Brand New and Crime in Stereo were special guest openers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGV64SFiPfs) Have to mention At The Drive In if they count. Northstar is a REALLY good forgotten band. Was always a big fan of Cursive's older stuff but I don't know if anyone still considers them emo. They were part of that whole Saddle Creek scene.

Now for some hate, because it wouldn't be an emo discussion without ******** all over some bands. Fall Out Boy always sucked. So did the Juliana Theory and Something Corporate.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Coheed definitely had the emo tag on them back in the early 2000s. The Seceond Stage Turbine Blade and IKKSE3 were two of the best albums around. Brand New's always been at the top. Thursday's Full Collapse and War All the Time are up there. The Illusion of Safety by Thrice is one of my favorites. I like all of Alexisonfire's stuff, Boiled Frogs is an awesome song. Saw someone mention Saosin, They Perch on Their Stilts is another awesome song. The Movielife was always big around the Long Island scene, really poppy which I'm not always into but they always used to put on a good show. Saw their farewell show about four years back and Brand New and Crime in Stereo were special guest openers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGV64SFiPfs) Have to mention At The Drive In if they count. Northstar is a REALLY good forgotten band. Was always a big fan of Cursive's older stuff but I don't know if anyone still considers them emo. They were part of that whole Saddle Creek scene.

Now for some hate, because it wouldn't be an emo discussion without ******** all over some bands. Fall Out Boy always sucked. So did the Juliana Theory and Something Corporate.

Personally, I never understood the emo label Coheed got. They were pretty progressive from Day 1 - obviously much more now but back then their style didn't really line up with classic or modern emo to me. Whatevs though, Coheed's always been great, loved Afterman.

Good call on Thursday, I forgot to add them to the OP. I consider Thursday to be one of most important driving forces of modern day post-hardcore and emo music, they were so important. Full Collapse was a pioneer album in the genre, IMO.

And hey! I love FoB and SoCo. :P - different strokes for different folks though.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
I was at the 10 Years show too, one of the most insane shows I've ever been to. People just jumping on and off the stage at their own free will with no one stopping them. :laugh:

That's awesome, my roommate donated, I was going to but blanked on it before it ended.

Dunno if this'll work, but I'm in the red behind Moon.

1501826_10152148011513033_557519998_n.jpg

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
That's awesome! I love when bands take photos like this with the crowd. Pop-punk in small venues like that are one of my favorite things ever. :)

Totally! I'm lucky enough to live in NYC where almost every band will make a stop at one of the many small venues (RIP Roseland Ballroom :cry: )

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Personally, I never understood the emo label Coheed got. They were pretty progressive from Day 1 - obviously much more now but back then their style didn't really line up with classic or modern emo to me. Whatevs though, Coheed's always been great, loved Afterman.

Good call on Thursday, I forgot to add them to the OP. I consider Thursday to be one of most important driving forces of modern day post-hardcore and emo music, they were so important. Full Collapse was a pioneer album in the genre, IMO.

And hey! I love FoB and SoCo. :P - different strokes for different folks though.

Basically any band that got popular in the early 2000s and had a pop punk sound got the label. Songs like Devil in Jersey City and 33 definitely have a pop punk feel. The funny thing is technically all of these bands aren't emo. They don't really sound like Sunny Day or Mineral who were part of the second wave.

Full Collapse is one of my favorites but they really lost me after War.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
My favourite band is the Get Up Kids... so much so that I even have a GUK tattoo. Pop-punk and the like has always been a favourite of mine. I grew up listening to Blink, Green Day, the Ataris, New Found Glory, Alkaline Trio, etc.

I'll go into phases where I won't listen to much of it, and then all of a sudden I'll be putting on every Starting Line, or Taking Back Sunday album back to back to back.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Basically any band that got popular in the early 2000s and had a pop punk sound got the label. Songs like Devil in Jersey City and 33 definitely have a pop punk feel. The funny thing is technically all of these bands aren't emo. They don't really sound like Sunny Day or Mineral who were part of the second wave.

Full Collapse is one of my favorites but they really lost me after War.

Agreed. It's almost unfair the amount of pop-punk bands from the early-to-mid 2000s that were labelled "emo" just for the hell of it. I feel like a lot of people don't understand that emo itself IS a genre of music not just a sub-culture that emerged in the mid-2000s.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
This thread needs more actual vids posted, although I enjoy the discussion. I'll keep this mofo going. Try to post atleast once a day. We'll start off with some more post hardcore stuff, just because that's what I tend to gravitate towards moreso than the straight up emo sutff. Anyways, we'll start off with some Sweep the Leg Johnny. Very angular, mathy post hardcore with killer sax interludes.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This thread needs more actual vids posted, although I enjoy the discussion. I'll keep this mofo going. Try to post atleast once a day. We'll start off with some more post hardcore stuff, just because that's what I tend to gravitate towards moreso than the straight up emo sutff. Anyways, we'll start off with some Sweep the Leg Johnny. Very angular, mathy post hardcore with killer sax interludes.

That was definitely very interesting. I don't think I've heard anything quite like that before, definitely trending into much more a mathcore direction (with saxes!). That said, I really liked that - much different than what I'm used to. Thanks for sharing! :)

Speaking of what I'm used to - here's a song by The Dangerous Summer for everyone. I'm in love with his voice.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
220px-Hot_Damn%21_%28Every_Time_I_Die_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

I saw Four Year Strong live, they were pretty good. High energy. Opened up for Blink-182

I used to be a big ETID fan. I went to see them back in 2002 with Eighteen Visions (when they were still really heavy) and Norma Jean (when their 1st album was just released). Unfortunately ETID's drummer came down with like the stomach flu so they didn't end up playing.

Big Coheed fan as well shortly after that time frame. I don't really know if either band fits this thread though.

But wow does this thread take me back..

Leaving (demo version) - The Starting Line.

Now that's a great track.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->