Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Shero has proven to be a really good gm but one thing i want hi to improve is his drafting in later rounds. An argument could be made that he picks collge guys and none of them have developed, but even then they seem like role players/fourth liners. Exceptions are kuhnackl, archibald, sundqvist, bluegers. They seem special. Plus i would like him to take a chance on european goalies, what if we find our rinne :sarcasm:

Well, 2 guys he drafted in the later rounds got us Iginla, so really, he's done ok.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Can anybody give a view of how harringtons transitional game is? He could be a great replacement for martin although i dont know about his offence, but have heard its very underrated.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Can anybody give a view of how harringtons transitional game is? He could be a great replacement for martin although i dont know about his offence, but have heard its very underrated.

Harrington's hockey sense is through the roof. I think he can (eventually) replace Martin's transition game and even some of the offense if he actually got PP time and was paired with a defensive or two-way D, so Harrington for once could be the guy who would pinch more often (because his sense & timing for doing so is excellent). Harrington is very efficient at moving the puck, has underrated vision, and just exceptional decision making. He may not have Martin's offensive numbers at the same age, but he's better in just about every other regard.

Letang and Pouliot will be our two big point producers, but guys like Despres, Harrington and Maatta can chip in, as can Niskanen if he is retained longer-term as an offensive guy now that Morrow is gone and eventually Brooks & Martin will be. With the guys we'll have coming in, I'm not too worried about losing one of Martin or Nisky in 2 years. The way Nisky is improving, he might actually even be the better player by then...

The nice thing is, with all our Dmen in the organization, we can really pick and choose who the best guys are to keep or bring up based on performance and not by default. But I'm not worried about our transition game, and I love our overall size. The only thing that perhaps could be improved is our overall defensive speed, because I wouldn't classify Harrington or Maatta as having great speed, but I don't think Martin has great speed either (Martin is a good skater, but not particularly fast). Guys like Dumoulin & Bortuzzo may make up for not being ultra-fast by way of their great reach. We'll see what cream rises to the top, but Harrington will be a top-4 guy for us within 2-3 years, IMO.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Doesn't Harrington have a pretty good point shot? Or am I remembering that wrong? I recall the camp when he and Morrow were there and he had a surprisingly heavy shot. In any case, you think he could possibly surprise and make the team next year? Or is he at least a year in WBS away?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Harrington does have a heavy shot. He was around 90 MPH the year before he was drafted. Probably in the low to mid-90's now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

He's fairly mobile, smart with the puck and has a good shot but I don't think he'll create a lot of offense. More than Rob Scuderi, but less than Paul Martin.

Krom

Nov 30, 2002
Visit site
I kind of disagree here, and say no: Shero does not NEED to go after college UFAs. I think there are better means of getting wingers. I would be THRILLED if we could get simply ONE more legit top-6 winger, which we can accomplish by trading Martin or Orpik in the summer.

Also, I believe some of our forward prospects are being sold short, and at the top of that list, is Tom Kunhnhackl. Yes, Kuhn is a boom or bust player, but this is a guy who has absolute, legit top-6 potential. The key for him is that he has to get healthy, and he has to have a breakthrough off-season training regimen like Beau Bennett did last season (with TR), or Nazem Kadri did (with Gary Roberts) or even Simon Despres (with Pascal Dupuis eating Brussel sprouts). Kuhnhackl's shot/release is virtually as good as anyone on this team not named Malkin/Neal. He's a real, real sniper, and he's got great offensive instincts. He goes to the net and will go to the dirty areas, he's got great size, and very importantly, he's very good in the transition game and making plays up the ice, making short passes, long passes, and nice little drop passes or give & goes. He could be a GREAT fit with Neal & Geno on the LW, but can play both sides; and his one-timer is MONEY on the PP. He could give us a serious 2nd unit PP shooting threat from the half-boards. This is a guy who could be considered a project now, but in a year could be a guy we could be talking about as an A-level prospect who projects in the top-6.

I also think Archibald could end up being a better version of TK (i.e. a really good 3rd line energy forward, who brings speed, grit, and could score 15-20 goals). While I wasn't high on Bryan Rust before this season, it's hard to ignore what he's done (like Samuelsson) to put himself back on the radar. He could also be a really nice bottom 6 forward who could replace a guy like Matt Cooke on the 3rd line, or Craig Adams on the 4th. Uher could be a good character 4th line forward in the mold of an Adams, and Wilson and (to a lesser extent) Megna are skilled forwards who may/may not make an impact. And then at the higher-end we've got Blueger & Sundqvist who are longer-term prospects, but have a lot of upside. So I think we have a really nice mix of different types of forwards who can fill in, in a variety of different positions.

And the key is this: with Bennett and Neal, to go along with Malkin/Crosby/Sutter, we have 2 legit top-6 wingers who are young and will be here for many years. So, at worst, we really only NEED two wingers to fill in. And where some may differ from me, I believe the following: re-signing Iginla will be a TOP priority, and I think we have a real, real chance of being able to retain Kunitz, Dupuis and Cooke, as well. Sure, we may have to sacrifice an Orpik/Martin on D, but if the cap goes up again after next year, there's no reason why we can't keep all those guys. If we assume Kunitz, Dupuis and Iginla (and maybe Cooke) can give us 3 more years of service (very reasonable considering Kunitz and Dupuis are playing at the peak of their careers, and both of those 2 and Jarome are in ELITE physical conditioning), then we've got time to see which of our prospects I mentioned above rise to the top of the heap, and have some very good assets (i.e. Orpik/Martin) that can bring us a very good return.

So I'm really not worried about our long-term future at all if we can re-sign most of those guys, but I do think that this will be a VERY busy summer for us and we'll have to make some tough decisions to move out some players who have been with us for a long time. If it were me, I'd move Orpik + TK + Glass this summer, and then look to move Martin either next year during the season if our young guys step up, or in the following summer when he still has another year left on his deal. If we manage this correctly, we could set ourselves up for years to come, like Chicago did when they had to trade some players and re-loaded their team with a lot of top prospects/good young players.

Might not be so easy to move Orpik as he has a NTC.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA

I believed it's a modified NTC. Capgeek states he can submit a list of 8 teams he would NOT accept a trade to. Otherwise, could be traded to 21 other teams in the league. I'm sure Shero would give him input though, since he's well regarded and respected.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
From our friend Joe Morrow. Good to hear, thanks Joe:

Joseph Morrow ‏@JMorrow7 20h
The penguins organization is absolutely top notch I couldn't ask for a better place to have started off my career. Thank you for everything.

Joseph Morrow ‏@JMorrow7 20h
For the record. The pens "breaking" me was a positive aspect in the growth of my defensive game. Have to tear down old things, to build new.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
Shame. I would have expected Dallas' PR staff (or maybe Morrow's agent) to get to him sooner than this.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

As Killswitch said, Orpik can be moved to 22 teams. There are probably at least 12-15 of those teams, if not more, who would love to add Brooks to their group. So I think moving him will be pretty easy. And quite frankly, if Shero said: "Brooks, we're going to trade you to one of those 22 teams, but we have a deal for you to (insert team here)", there's still that chance he waives. In other words, I think there's ZERO impediment to trading Brooks. (And he's the guy, along with TK and hopefully Glass, that I would look to move in the summer to bring back some assets and give us cap room to re-sign Iginla)

Doesn't Harrington have a pretty good point shot? Or am I remembering that wrong? I recall the camp when he and Morrow were there and he had a surprisingly heavy shot. In any case, you think he could possibly surprise and make the team next year? Or is he at least a year in WBS away?

Yes, not only does Harrington have a great slap-shot (north of 90mph), it's very accurate and always on the net. He keeps it low and hard most of the time, which makes it great for deflections & rebounds. It's also why, like on that beauty assist at the WJCs, Harrington can make a great slap pass and goalies/defenders will have to respect his slap-shot because he has such a good one, which can open up opportunities to make those slap passes, fake shots, etc.

But what I love about Harrington the most in this regard is his shot selection. He seems to always make the right play, whether it's a full slapper, half slapper, slap pass, or just a good wrister on net. He just has a knack for making great, great decisions with the puck. This is part of why I feel that as he continues his development and gains comfort & confidence, that he can put up some decent offensive numbers (i.e. 5-8 goals, 25-30 points) in his prime.

To answer your last question about NHL readiness: it may surprise some, but it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if Harrington made the jump right into the NHL next year. But I really think it comes down to what happens with Dumoulin, and if one of Martin/Orpik are traded to open up cap space for Iginla (and to bring back assets in general). If Dumoulin is really ready to make the jump to the NHL, then I think Harrington will spend one year in the AHL just because of the log-jam. But if the Pens do trade one of Orpik/Martin but feel Dumoulin needs one more year of seasoning, then I think there's a real chance Harrington can play in the NHL right away. So in short, he's not far at all, but it depends on Orpik/Martin and how they feel about Dumo -- or even if they were to somehow re-sign D. Murray.

kshinkman*

Well, 2 guys he drafted in the later rounds got us Iginla, so really, he's done ok.

Good thinking. In future, the Pens should always aim to draft c-level prospects with almost chance of being NHL players, left alone impact ones. Thank heavens the Pens never wasted a late draft pick on Lundquist or Zetterberg.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Good thinking. In future, the Pens should always aim to draft c-level prospects with almost chance of being NHL players, left alone impact ones. Thank heavens the Pens never wasted a late draft pick on Lundquist or Zetterberg.

These types of players should never be expected in the later rounds. I'd lower expectations to third and fourth liners, and then judge how Shero is doing. Keep in mind that these players dropped to the lower rounds for a reason, and if they were to make the NHL there is probably a lot more developement needed than your average first rounder. I would wait at least 5 years before judging the success and failure of a late round draft pick.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Yesterday the everett silvertips won 3-2 over the portland winterhawks in the first game of their secound round match-up. Pouliot had a goal, assist and was a -1. Maata currently has 3 points in 4 games, harrington has yet to return, Macaroni has been scoreless in 5 games so far, Pouliot has 8 points in 5 games so far. Zlobin has 4 points in 5 games.
Sudqvist currently has 5 points in 5 games in Skellefteå J20. Murray currently has a .912 save percentage, 2.61 GAA, 2 wins, 2 losses, 1 OTL, 1 SO. Overall not bad for our prospects

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yesterday the everett silvertips won 3-2 over the portland winterhawks in the first game of their secound round match-up. Pouliot had a goal, assist and was a -1. Maata currently has 3 points in 4 games, harrington has yet to return, Macaroni has been scoreless in 5 games so far, Pouliot has 8 points in 5 games so far. Zlobin has 4 points in 5 games.
Sudqvist currently has 5 points in 5 games in Skellefteå J20. Murray currently has a .912 save percentage, 2.61 GAA, 2 wins, 2 losses, 1 OTL, 1 SO. Overall not bad for our prospects

Portland & Pouliot are still in their 1st round match-up. Portland is leading that series 3-2. Hopefully, they can close out the series tomorrow night so we can see Pouliot move on to the 2nd round and go on an extended playoff run.

Having said that, I imagine he would join the Pens or WBS team on a PTO/ATO if/when his WHL team gets eliminated. That would be a great experience for DP to do that, and also for us and the Pens staff to get more looks at him. win-win either way. :)

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Portland & Pouliot are still in their 1st round match-up. Portland is leading that series 3-2. Hopefully, they can close out the series tomorrow night so we can see Pouliot move on to the 2nd round and go on an extended playoff run.

Having said that, I imagine he would join the Pens or WBS team on a PTO/ATO if/when his WHL team gets eliminated. That would be a great experience for DP to do that, and also for us and the Pens staff to get more looks at him. win-win either way. :)

My bad. Yeah it would be nice to get an early look at him

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Can DP go to WBS and then back to Jrs. next year?

Didn't anyone else see the St. Cloud game? I know Hano isn't our prospect anymore, but I wasn't super impressed by him. He back checked OK, but he wasn't that noticeable.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Can DP go to WBS and then back to Jrs. next year?

Yes but only on a tryout once Portland's playoffs are over. It's unlikely he would make much of an impact as he's really young still and doesn't know the system. Next season it's NHL or juniors again, though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
why is signing Iginla a priority? That's stupid

1) Signing Malkin and Letang is a real priority, and would be very hindered if we re-sign Iginla as he'll cost too much.
2) Iginla would cost too much.
3) Dupuis would be 2-3 times cheaper than Iginla, and provide the same production assuming the past calander year isn't a fluke.

of course, if he agrees to take $3-4 mill to stay here it's worth considering, however, that would be at the expense of someone like Martin, which would be a very stupid move.

Because he's a skilled, gritty RH shot winger with character and leadership who chose to be here. Wanting to make him a Pen beyond this season is anything but stupid.

1. Malkin and Letang are still the main priorities, and we have no idea how much or how long Iginla would want on his next deal. Shero obviously thought we could accommodate Parise making ~7.5 mil per long-term, so I don't see why Iginla would be an automatic non-starter.

2. Maybe he'd take a Doan-type deal to stay in a winning environment with elite centers. We'd be stupid not to pursue that.

3. Iginla is a much better scoring line winger than Dupuis. One is talented enough to be a go-to guy on a scoring line, and the other's best suited to a 3rd wheel role even in a best case scenario.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Because he's a skilled, gritty RH shot winger with character and leadership who chose to be here. Wanting to make him a Pen beyond this season is anything but stupid.

1. Malkin and Letang are still the main priorities, and we have no idea how much or how long Iginla would want on his next deal. Shero obviously thought we could accommodate Parise making ~7.5 mil per long-term, so I don't see why Iginla would be an automatic non-starter.

2. Maybe he'd take a Doan-type deal to stay in a winning environment with elite centers. We'd be stupid not to pursue that.

3. Iginla is a much better scoring line winger than Dupuis. One is talented enough to be a go-to guy on a scoring line, and the other's best suited to a 3rd wheel role even in a best case scenario.

Agreed. And you don't give up a 1st and prospects, and NOT try to sign the guy. Doesn't make sense.

And where the heck have you been RRP?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agreed. And you don't give up a 1st and prospects, and NOT try to sign the guy. Doesn't make sense.

And where the heck have you been RRP?

Definitely. Gotta make the most of those assets, and Iggy's exactly the sort of player we should be looking to keep around if the cap hit is reasonable. You move the Kennedys and Orpiks of the team to retain an Iginla, people. Jesus! :laugh:

I've been touring around France for the past week or so bud...just got back last night, haha. Missed all the excitement! Can't wait to watch Iggy in the black and gold.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Definitely. Gotta make the most of those assets, and Iggy's exactly the sort of player we should be looking to keep around if the cap hit is reasonable. You move the Kennedys and Orpiks of the team to retain an Iginla, people. Jesus! :laugh:

I've been touring around France for the past week or so bud...just got back last night, haha. Missed all the excitement! Can't wait to watch Iggy in the black and gold.

Good, great to see you back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad