Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I love that Harrington is that kind of leader, a stand up and take charge type of guy. I can't wait until this guy hits WBS and starts to develop into the future Assistant Captain on this team.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Portland against Spokane. Will be an interesting match-up. Would love to see Pouliot win the WHL title.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
How many contract spots do we have left? im thinking of seymour etc, but also possible FA signings.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
How many contract spots do we have left? im thinking of seymour etc, but also possible FA signings.
Ruopp contract will kick-in next season, so now we have 48 contracts (Harrington, Maata and Pouliot doesn't count since they still have junior eligibility) and I don't count Seymour that is a try-out with WBS.
Next season there will be several UFA in the organization, so I don't think that will be any problem.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Ruopp contract will kick-in next season, so now we have 48 contracts (Harrington, Maata and Pouliot doesn't count since they still have junior eligibility) and I don't count Seymour that is a try-out with WBS.
Next season there will be several UFA in the organization, so I don't think that will be any problem.

So does that mean Ruopp won't be playing anywhere now that Prince Albert is out?

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
So does that mean Ruopp won't be playing anywhere now that Prince Albert is out?
I think he can still sign a try-out (PTO/ATO) contract with the WBS for the remainder of this season. We should know something for sure by the end of the AHL trade deadline next week (April 10).

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I think he can still sign a try-out (PTO/ATO) contract with the WBS for the remainder of this season. We should know something for sure by the end of the AHL trade deadline next week (April 10).

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing him in action in the A. I like the package he brings a lot

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I don't know whether or not this has been posted.

Tom Grace spoke on @penguinslive Friday. Grace said that Philip Samuelsson would be up with the Pittsburgh Penguins now if his skating was better. Grace noted Samuelsson’s poise and his ability to read plays as positive attributes. His hockey I.Q. is excellent and his penalty kill is “crazy good.â€

Samuelsson has made as big of a progression from 1st year to 2nd year as any player Grace has ever seen. Grace, the Baby Pens play-by-play man, believes Samuelsson has a chance to make the Pens out of camp next year.

It's from John Toperzer, who I have never heard of, but we all know Tom Grace.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I still want to see him bulk up a little more and yeah, that skating needs to get better, he needs to get a smoother stride. I mean from what I have seen, he's better than Murray (not saying a whole lot) but a guy that is smaller and younger, he should be able to adjust better and likely will with the way he's progressing. There should be a good battle in camp for defensemen between Samuelsson, Harrington and Dumoulin. I think Pouliot is a guy you want in the AHL to start the year.

I wonder if Ray is going to dip into the College FA market.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I don't know whether or not this has been posted.

It's from John Toperzer, who I have never heard of, but we all know Tom Grace.

I mentioned this earlier in the season, but Grace is way over-the-top at times when it comes to complimenting Samuelsson. I swear every time he cleared the puck early in the season it was the subject of much praise and that Saumelsson was the most improved player ever. Not to take anything away from him, as he certainly is improved, but not to the point where Grace sells it at times. I don't know if it's because Phil played some at BC and Grace is "Boston, Boston, Boston" or if Samuelsson has had some nice interactions with Grace but I gotta strongly disagree that Samuelsson is just improved skating from being on the Pens.

I can't see him being in the NHL in any fashion until at least another full season in the AHL. I mean this is a guy who is playing sheltered-3rd pairing minutes in the AHL. Guys like Bortuzzo were excellent players at that level and can't crack the NHL lineup. Samuelsson has often been the d-man getting the least minutes of the guys who dress.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Harrington is back in the line-up tonight. Knowing him, he's gotta be playing through something, but good to see none the less.

I'd love to see Portland and London in the Memorial Cup.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Harrington is back in the line-up tonight. Knowing him, he's gotta be playing through something, but good to see none the less.

I'd love to see Portland and London in the Memorial Cup.

Knowing Harrington he'll kill an entire 3 on 5, block 6 or 8 shots, and play 30 minutes anyway.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
London wins the first game vs kitchener 4-1. Macaroni was a -2, maata was a +2 and had an assist, harrington was a +1

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Val d'Or got massacred 1-10 by Blainville-Boisbriand tonight. 17 to 42 shots. Must have been quite the game. There were six penalties for goalie interference (5 of them against the Foreurs, all but one led to goals against), and Mantha got ejected for fighting. Zlobin assisted on their only goal and ended up even in +/-.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
I kind of feel bad for any team playing Portland. So many weapons...

Yeah, and it makes it tough to evaluate Pouliot's play from statlines alone (not that you can ever really do that, obviously).

1+1 so far tonight, but he's also been on the ice for both goals against. Not watching so can't evaluate past that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hopefully Portland makes it to the Memorial Cup tournament. I'd love to be able to catch some of Pouliot's games.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Portland beat spokane 7-2, Poliout was 1+3 and +1 but he was on for both of spokanes goals.

Worth noting, however, that the 2 Spokane goals were 4-on-4 and short-handed, respecitvely -- so it's a bit of an atypical situation. I'd be more concerned if he was on the ice for 2 goals that were 5-on-5. (if we're going to be nit-picky about stats, that is :)) Also, great that all 3 of his assists were primary assists. I didn't see the game, unfortunately, but that's a pretty darn impressive performance. I know his team is totally stacked, but he's still performing on a pace that is beyond anything that Joe Morrow did, and he's running away with the scoring lead amongst Dmen far in excess of anyone else in the WHL right now. Can't be anything other than super-pumped for this kid.

I still want to see him bulk up a little more and yeah, that skating needs to get better, he needs to get a smoother stride. I mean from what I have seen, he's better than Murray (not saying a whole lot) but a guy that is smaller and younger, he should be able to adjust better and likely will with the way he's progressing. There should be a good battle in camp for defensemen between Samuelsson, Harrington and Dumoulin. I think Pouliot is a guy you want in the AHL to start the year.

I wonder if Ray is going to dip into the College FA market.

Yeah, I think we would all agree that in looking at Samuelsson's frame and his overall physical stats, he's definitely got another gear or two he can go to in terms of conditioning levels off the ice that will pay dividends on the ice. A summer or two of serious off-ice training and power skating, he should be able to take his overall game, and skating in particular, to another level.

With Despres and Morrow gone, and Dumoulin possibly graduating next year, Samuelsson should have all the motivation in the world to do this, and plenty of opportunity to be a go-to Dman for WBS next season. But like others have said, I cannot envision him not playing a full 3rd season and improving in the aforementioned areas before really making a serious push for a spot with the big club in 2014-15

Regarding your point about the FA market: what's difficult and working against us is (A) we are very tight against the cap going forward, which means we can't give some of the FA's the bonus-laden contracts some other teams may be able to; and (B) we have a very deep line-up of established players and we can't offer guys guaranteed roster spots.

If we go after college UFAs at all, they will probably be of the lower-tier/lesser known variety as opposed to the big names mentioned. I think it may also depend on which of our existing prospects may turn pro (i.e Rust, Archibald) and if we have space in the line-up. But we have to look in all corners of the earth, including undrafted players from Europe, to try to fill in for all of the draft picks & prospects that we've sent out the door. I'm also interested to see if the Pens are interested in bringing a guy like Sundqvist over next year (given they are pretty thin at Centre in WBS) or if they'll leave him in Europe for another year or two.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I'm also interested to see if the Pens are interested in bringing a guy like Sundqvist over next year (given they are pretty thin at Centre in WBS) or if they'll leave him in Europe for another year or two.

My best bet is they let him develop in europe. He plays in on tier below elitserien and im pretty certain pens want to see what damage he could do in a league with men. He certainly has the frame to be successful. For him and blueger i think that if not developed properly they could be busts.(more so than normal prospects)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
My best bet is they let him develop in europe. He plays in on tier below elitserien and im pretty certain pens want to see what damage he could do in a league with men. He certainly has the frame to be successful. For him and blueger i think that if not developed properly they could be busts.(more so than normal prospects)

I would agree with your guess about Sundqvist, but I'm not sure that I would expect them to be any more likely to "bust" than other 2nd/3rd round guys. I think one could also infer that the Pens have some degree of confidence that both of these guys were decent prospects, in terms of them being willing to trade away so many draft picks and other forward prospects (Agostino, Hanowski). On The Hockey News' Prospect Watch list of the Pens top-10 prospects -- who many in the hockey community say is simply provided by an executive from the team themselves -- Blueger was #8 and Sundqvist #10. This would also jive with what Yohe reported about the Pens not seeing Agostino or Hanowski as among their top 10 prospects...

Blueger is clearly not ready to make the jump, so there's no discussion there (nice rookie year, but definitely needs to take his play up a notch or two and develop physically before even thinking about making the jump. Who knows? That could be after next year, or after a full 4-years in college. My guess would be 3 years for Blueger, but we'll see...

Sundqvist: I would agree that he should stay in Sweden for one more year, develop against his peers, and try to make the World Junior squad. That being said, and especially because he does like the physical, North American style of game, I don't think you could go wrong either way by having him be in WBS, coached by one of the best developmental coaches in NA. Getting him under contract and even just giving him a tryout would be wise (so he doesn't pull a Tim Erixon on us) and he could still be sent back to Sweden if that's what they felt was best. But if the Pens think he and the team would be best served by bringing him over now, I don't see any reason not to. Young players are ruined when they're brought up the ranks too early, but having him come over and be the 2nd line centre in WBS would not be a case of "rushing" him, and you keep him there as long as he needs to develop well before bringing him further.

I do like Sutter, and his performance is very good, but not one that (yet) warrants a huge contract that will price him off our team. But Sutter is a very valuable piece, and if Sundqvist can become the next Sutter (or Berglund, as some have compared him to) then that would open up a lot of flexibility for us by trade in a few years from now. In that sense, Sundqvist may be one of the most important prospects in our stable, just in terms of the type of role he might be able to fill for us down the road. We really don't have another player in that mold within our system at this time, besides him and possibly Jeffrey.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I would agree with your guess about Sundqvist, but I'm not sure that I would expect them to be any more likely to "bust" than other 2nd/3rd round guys. I think one could also infer that the Pens have some degree of confidence that both of these guys were decent prospects, in terms of them being willing to trade away so many draft picks and other forward prospects (Agostino, Hanowski). On The Hockey News' Prospect Watch list of the Pens top-10 prospects -- who many in the hockey community say is simply provided by an executive from the team themselves -- Blueger was #8 and Sundqvist #10. This would also jive with what Yohe reported about the Pens not seeing Agostino or Hanowski as among their top 10 prospects...

Blueger is clearly not ready to make the jump, so there's no discussion there (nice rookie year, but definitely needs to take his play up a notch or two and develop physically before even thinking about making the jump. Who knows? That could be after next year, or after a full 4-years in college. My guess would be 3 years for Blueger, but we'll see...

Sundqvist: I would agree that he should stay in Sweden for one more year, develop against his peers, and try to make the World Junior squad. That being said, and especially because he does like the physical, North American style of game, I don't think you could go wrong either way by having him be in WBS, coached by one of the best developmental coaches in NA. Getting him under contract and even just giving him a tryout would be wise (so he doesn't pull a Tim Erixon on us) and he could still be sent back to Sweden if that's what they felt was best. But if the Pens think he and the team would be best served by bringing him over now, I don't see any reason not to. Young players are ruined when they're brought up the ranks too early, but having him come over and be the 2nd line centre in WBS would not be a case of "rushing" him, and you keep him there as long as he needs to develop well before bringing him further.

I do like Sutter, and his performance is very good, but not one that (yet) warrants a huge contract that will price him off our team. But Sutter is a very valuable piece, and if Sundqvist can become the next Sutter (or Berglund, as some have compared him to) then that would open up a lot of flexibility for us by trade in a few years from now. In that sense, Sundqvist may be one of the most important prospects in our stable, just in terms of the type of role he might be able to fill for us down the road. We really don't have another player in that mold within our system at this time, besides him and possibly Jeffrey.

They obviously saw something in sundqvist. AFAIK he wasnt even ranked by central scouting so nobody really knew about him. In the long term though, should both blueger and sundqvist pan out who do you see being a better player? I see sndqvist being much more grittier and offensive while bluegers plays a defencive game in the mold of brandon.

On a side note, really impressed with zatkoff, currently rhe top goalie in the ahl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->