Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That'd be fine too. Have him finish his junior career next year, since I assume London will be a top team again and Maatta will play a big role. Then have him spend the year after (the 2014-2015 season) in the SM-Liiga fulfilling his military obligations. Euro seasons end fairly early, so he could conceivably join the baby Pens in time for the stretch drive + playoffs assuming his conscription has ended.

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
That'd be fine too. Have him finish his junior career next year, since I assume London will be a top team again and Maatta will play a big role. Then have him spend the year after (the 2014-2015 season) in the SM-Liiga fulfilling his military obligations. He'd probably be in the AHL all season anyway, so it wouldn't matter much.

Definitely. This is a player who will need some seasoning in the AHL anyway, and will not be ready to make the jump immediately or after one season tops like a Scott Harrington or Derrick Pouliot. So having him spend one or even two years in the SM-Liiga and then a year in the AHL would be just fine with me; and gives us time to see where guys like Samuelsson, Ruopp, D'Agostino and others fit in.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Definitely. This is a player who will need some seasoning in the AHL anyway, and will not be ready to make the jump immediately or after one season tops like a Scott Harrington or Derrick Pouliot. So having him spend one or even two years in the SM-Liiga and then a year in the AHL would be just fine with me; and gives us time to see where guys like Samuelsson, Ruopp, D'Agostino and others fit in.

Where do you see Samuelsson going forward? Another couple years in the A?, NHL call up? From what I heard he is stepped up his game the past year and a bit.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Where do you see Samuelsson going forward? Another couple years in the A?, NHL call up? From what I heard he is stepped up his game the past year and a bit.

I'm really not sure where to project him, other than that he's put himself back on the radar as a legit prospect. He will not see the NHL next year unless there's significant injuries, IMO. He's a guy who will definitely play his 3rd ELC season in WBS next year, so it really depends how well he performs then to get an idea of where he projects going forward. Looking at our line-up, the only spot that we may have for Samuelsson long-term is as a big/physical bottom pair Dman. That said, if he has a great year next year, he could seriously increase his value as a trade, and if the deal isn't there to be made immediately, he could be brought up as a #7 Dman for 2014-15 so we don't lose him on waivers (just like we did with Bortuzzo this year).

I see it as a win-win either way. He's not one of our top-5 or 6 Dman prospects, so it's no loss if he doesn't turn into an NHLer; and yet if he continues to progress very well, he could either be a great #6/7 for us, or a very valuable trade bait. There are a lot of teams who could use a player like him if he reaches his potential. Phoenix (to play with his brother) would be a great fit, as would EDM, CGY, TB, WIN, CAR, DAL, BUF, WSH, SJ, LA, MIN and perhaps others. There are quite a few teams who are thin on the blueline, and if he continues his progression, he would be good enough to be among a lot of teams top 3 or 4 D prospects outside of the NHL. He could have some nice trade value to us. Let's see what he can do next season, but he can certainly take confidence from the steps forward he's taken this season.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
At any rate, what I was originally coming back to ask was what does our prospect pool of forwards look like now with the Iginla trade, since the college ranks are the least I know of. Sure, big picture, Hanowski and Agostino were far from top prospects, but they were only part of a handful of forward prospects that could contribute professionally next year in our pool. I would have to guess it looks pretty dim short-term wise, with the likes of Blueger, Sundqvist, and the like being years away and Bennett practically "graduating". Does Shero NEED to go after some college UFAs to make up for it?

Yes. Losing morrow doesnt really hurt us, but opens up space for other prospects. Forwards on the other hand, we have basically lost most of our right wing depth/or alot of our wing depth. Now i dont want shero signing random players for no reason, they should have potential to play on the third line atleast. Any word on lagainare though?

I kind of disagree here, and say no: Shero does not NEED to go after college UFAs. I think there are better means of getting wingers. I would be THRILLED if we could get simply ONE more legit top-6 winger, which we can accomplish by trading Martin or Orpik in the summer.

Also, I believe some of our forward prospects are being sold short, and at the top of that list, is Tom Kunhnhackl. Yes, Kuhn is a boom or bust player, but this is a guy who has absolute, legit top-6 potential. The key for him is that he has to get healthy, and he has to have a breakthrough off-season training regimen like Beau Bennett did last season (with TR), or Nazem Kadri did (with Gary Roberts) or even Simon Despres (with Pascal Dupuis eating Brussel sprouts). Kuhnhackl's shot/release is virtually as good as anyone on this team not named Malkin/Neal. He's a real, real sniper, and he's got great offensive instincts. He goes to the net and will go to the dirty areas, he's got great size, and very importantly, he's very good in the transition game and making plays up the ice, making short passes, long passes, and nice little drop passes or give & goes. He could be a GREAT fit with Neal & Geno on the LW, but can play both sides; and his one-timer is MONEY on the PP. He could give us a serious 2nd unit PP shooting threat from the half-boards. This is a guy who could be considered a project now, but in a year could be a guy we could be talking about as an A-level prospect who projects in the top-6.

I also think Archibald could end up being a better version of TK (i.e. a really good 3rd line energy forward, who brings speed, grit, and could score 15-20 goals). While I wasn't high on Bryan Rust before this season, it's hard to ignore what he's done (like Samuelsson) to put himself back on the radar. He could also be a really nice bottom 6 forward who could replace a guy like Matt Cooke on the 3rd line, or Craig Adams on the 4th. Uher could be a good character 4th line forward in the mold of an Adams, and Wilson and (to a lesser extent) Megna are skilled forwards who may/may not make an impact. And then at the higher-end we've got Blueger & Sundqvist who are longer-term prospects, but have a lot of upside. So I think we have a really nice mix of different types of forwards who can fill in, in a variety of different positions.

And the key is this: with Bennett and Neal, to go along with Malkin/Crosby/Sutter, we have 2 legit top-6 wingers who are young and will be here for many years. So, at worst, we really only NEED two wingers to fill in. And where some may differ from me, I believe the following: re-signing Iginla will be a TOP priority, and I think we have a real, real chance of being able to retain Kunitz, Dupuis and Cooke, as well. Sure, we may have to sacrifice an Orpik/Martin on D, but if the cap goes up again after next year, there's no reason why we can't keep all those guys. If we assume Kunitz, Dupuis and Iginla (and maybe Cooke) can give us 3 more years of service (very reasonable considering Kunitz and Dupuis are playing at the peak of their careers, and both of those 2 and Jarome are in ELITE physical conditioning), then we've got time to see which of our prospects I mentioned above rise to the top of the heap, and have some very good assets (i.e. Orpik/Martin) that can bring us a very good return.

So I'm really not worried about our long-term future at all if we can re-sign most of those guys, but I do think that this will be a VERY busy summer for us and we'll have to make some tough decisions to move out some players who have been with us for a long time. If it were me, I'd move Orpik + TK + Glass this summer, and then look to move Martin either next year during the season if our young guys step up, or in the following summer when he still has another year left on his deal. If we manage this correctly, we could set ourselves up for years to come, like Chicago did when they had to trade some players and re-loaded their team with a lot of top prospects/good young players.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Top 3 offseason prioritity signings
1. MALKIN
2. LETANG
3. IGINLA

In short: yes, absolutely, 100%. Like Shero said, when you have a chance to get Jarome Iginla, you do that. I think Jarome will accept a 3-4 year contract in the range of $4 to $4.5 million.

4. Re-signing Dupuis (3 years preferably, to bring the cap hit down and lock him up, because I think he'll be a top player for 3 more years, anywhere in the top-9_
5. Extending Kunitz (obvious. At the peak of his career, great chemistry with Sid, still young)
6. Re-sign Cooke (essential on the PK, great 3rd liner, has plenty of gas in the tank, and can be bumped down to 4th line eventually. I think he would re-up for 2 or 3 years at his current salary)

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
So now that we have no 1st or 2nd round picks this year. Which I feel is fine for the return we got, who are some late round draft steals? I'm praying Marco Dano slips to the 3rd round he's such a Goal scorer.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Depends on how Iginla plays here and if he really wants to go back to the Flames and home. I think chemistry with Dupuis and Kunitz are important. But Kennedy and Cooke make 3.8 million. Glass gone is 1.1 million. Vitale has to play with some one, and you need penaltiy killers. So I think the Pens need to spend on the third and fourth lines. Plus Sutter has to be extended. Malkin and Letang have to be resigned. Where does the money/cap come from? Sign Murray and trade Orpik and Martin to free up 7 million.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Depends on how Iginla plays here and if he really wants to go back to the Flames and home. I think chemistry with Dupuis and Kunitz are important. But Kennedy and Cooke make 3.8 million. Glass gone is 1.1 million. Vitale has to play with some one, and you need penaltiy killers. So I think the Pens need to spend on the third and fourth lines. Plus Sutter has to be extended. Malkin and Letang have to be resigned. Where does the money/cap come from? Sign Murray and trade Orpik and Martin to free up 7 million.

I see Cooke staying. I'd give him a 3rd year if I have to, to keep the cap hit down. Either 2 years at current salary ($1.8m) or 3 years at $1.5

Dupuis: needs a bump, but he'll take a hometown discount. I'd give him 3 years also, to keep the cap hit down. 3 years at somewhere between $2 and $2.5 million.

Kunitz: I'd extend him, and I'd give him 3 years to keep the cap-hit down. 3 years at between $3.75 (current) and $4million.

Kennedy: he's gone, and if he isn't traded before the deadline, he'll be traded at the draft. Glass I would happily move, and keep Adams at half the price.

We would have to trade Brooks and let TK (and probably Glass) go to fit everyone else in next year, but we wouldn't have to get rid of Martin yet. I would keep him through till end of next season and then trade him at the draft or in the summer.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
I kind of disagree here, and say no: Shero does not NEED to go after college UFAs. I think there are better means of getting wingers. I would be THRILLED if we could get simply ONE more legit top-6 winger, which we can accomplish by trading Martin or Orpik in the summer.

Also, I believe some of our forward prospects are being sold short, and at the top of that list, is Tom Kunhnhackl. Yes, Kuhn is a boom or bust player, but this is a guy who has absolute, legit top-6 potential. The key for him is that he has to get healthy, and he has to have a breakthrough off-season training regimen like Beau Bennett did last season (with TR), or Nazem Kadri did (with Gary Roberts) or even Simon Despres (with Pascal Dupuis eating Brussel sprouts). Kuhnhackl's shot/release is virtually as good as anyone on this team not named Malkin/Neal. He's a real, real sniper, and he's got great offensive instincts. He goes to the net and will go to the dirty areas, he's got great size, and very importantly, he's very good in the transition game and making plays up the ice, making short passes, long passes, and nice little drop passes or give & goes. He could be a GREAT fit with Neal & Geno on the LW, but can play both sides; and his one-timer is MONEY on the PP. He could give us a serious 2nd unit PP shooting threat from the half-boards. This is a guy who could be considered a project now, but in a year could be a guy we could be talking about as an A-level prospect who projects in the top-6.

I also think Archibald could end up being a better version of TK (i.e. a really good 3rd line energy forward, who brings speed, grit, and could score 15-20 goals). While I wasn't high on Bryan Rust before this season, it's hard to ignore what he's done (like Samuelsson) to put himself back on the radar. He could also be a really nice bottom 6 forward who could replace a guy like Matt Cooke on the 3rd line, or Craig Adams on the 4th. Uher could be a good character 4th line forward in the mold of an Adams, and Wilson and (to a lesser extent) Megna are skilled forwards who may/may not make an impact. And then at the higher-end we've got Blueger & Sundqvist who are longer-term prospects, but have a lot of upside. So I think we have a really nice mix of different types of forwards who can fill in, in a variety of different positions.

And the key is this: with Bennett and Neal, to go along with Malkin/Crosby/Sutter, we have 2 legit top-6 wingers who are young and will be here for many years. So, at worst, we really only NEED two wingers to fill in. And where some may differ from me, I believe the following: re-signing Iginla will be a TOP priority, and I think we have a real, real chance of being able to retain Kunitz, Dupuis and Cooke, as well. Sure, we may have to sacrifice an Orpik/Martin on D, but if the cap goes up again after next year, there's no reason why we can't keep all those guys. If we assume Kunitz, Dupuis and Iginla (and maybe Cooke) can give us 3 more years of service (very reasonable considering Kunitz and Dupuis are playing at the peak of their careers, and both of those 2 and Jarome are in ELITE physical conditioning), then we've got time to see which of our prospects I mentioned above rise to the top of the heap, and have some very good assets (i.e. Orpik/Martin) that can bring us a very good return.

So I'm really not worried about our long-term future at all if we can re-sign most of those guys, but I do think that this will be a VERY busy summer for us and we'll have to make some tough decisions to move out some players who have been with us for a long time. If it were me, I'd move Orpik + TK + Glass this summer, and then look to move Martin either next year during the season if our young guys step up, or in the following summer when he still has another year left on his deal. If we manage this correctly, we could set ourselves up for years to come, like Chicago did when they had to trade some players and re-loaded their team with a lot of top prospects/good young players.

Thanks for the feedback. When I said short-term, I meant more so just next year. I like Rust quite a bit, but I thought he would stay at Notre Dame for next year. I also like the Kuhn, but he's only one prospect. My point was rather do we need to sign-acquire forward depth for next season? Also, thanks for the info on Archibald, he was the one guy I probably did sell short. I have all the faith in the long-term, just wondering about next year.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Ths issue to me is Kunitz and Iginla and Neal. You have you have Malkin and Crosby and Letang taking up 26 or 27 million in cap space. then you have Iginla say at 5million, Neal at 5 million and Kunitz at 4 million is a lot of money to spend on top six plus one defenseman. Add MAF and you have 45 million in seven players. Something has to give here. Crosby to a large extent and Malkin and Neal do not kill penalties. Does Bennett kill penalties? That leaves six forwards for penalty kill. Plus Bylsma doesn't play Vitale on the penalty kill. Just saying Iginla, Kunitz and Neal limit team defense.

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
So now that we have no 1st or 2nd round picks this year. Which I feel is fine for the return we got, who are some late round draft steals? I'm praying Marco Dano slips to the 3rd round he's such a Goal scorer.

Looking at the csb ranking some names I wouldn't mind in the later rounds, I haven't been able to watch nearly as much minor hockey this year as in the past few years so this is based on limited viewing

Jordan subban
Jeremy gregoire
Ryan kujawinski
Tyler motte
Sergei tolchinsky
Connor rankin
Evan Allen
Will butcher
Quentin shore
Gustav possler

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Top 3 offseason prioritity signings
1. MALKIN
2. LETANG
3. IGINLA

why is signing Iginla a priority? That's stupid

1) Signing Malkin and Letang is a real priority, and would be very hindered if we re-sign Iginla as he'll cost too much.
2) Iginla would cost too much.
3) Dupuis would be 2-3 times cheaper than Iginla, and provide the same production assuming the past calander year isn't a fluke.

of course, if he agrees to take $3-4 mill to stay here it's worth considering, however, that would be at the expense of someone like Martin, which would be a very stupid move.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I haven't exactly ran the numbers or anything but the Penguins will probably have like 7 guys on deals that are either making close to the league minimum or still on their ELCs (Vitale, Despres, Bennett, Adams, Bortuzzo, Engelland, Jeffrey). Trading Glass and replacing him with someone making about half as much will help too. I think that will go along way in being able to fit under the cap until it goes back up again in 2014.

I think you have to put priority on all of the top guys (Iginla, Kunitz, Dupuis) over the lower-tier guys like Cooke and Kennedy because their roles are a lot easier to either do without entirely or replace in free agency or via a call-up.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i see no need for the prospects thread to be derailed by a long-term roster-building discussion - i keep clicking on the thread hoping for some NCAA or CHL playoff chatter.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
If harrington pushes for a roster spot who will be kicked out of the line-up?
Is it possible that he gets called up mid-season and forces martin to be traded? He hockey instincts could really help us

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Pens fans will get to watch Scott Wilson in person at the Frozen Four in Pittsburgh. UMass-Lowell won their regional final 2-0 against New Hampshire. Wilson scored the GWG and assisted on the other one.

Kenny Agostino will also be there with Yale. Ben Hanowski can also make it if St. Cloud beats Miami-Ohio tomorrow.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have thought about if Shero has pondered trading Kennedy. I think a contending team may be willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. Tanner Glass...probably a later round pick could be had for him. Not sure I want to get rid of Jeffrey just yet. I think he could bring some good playoff depth.

Just because we don't have top picks in this years draft doesn't mean we can't stockpile lower round picks.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Shero has proven to be a really good gm but one thing i want hi to improve is his drafting in later rounds. An argument could be made that he picks collge guys and none of them have developed, but even then they seem like role players/fourth liners. Exceptions are kuhnackl, archibald, sundqvist, bluegers. They seem special. Plus i would like him to take a chance on european goalies, what if we find our rinne :sarcasm:

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
If not for the Iginla trade, the Frozen Four could of been potentially packed with Pens prospects, as they would have the leading scorer for 2 of the 4 teams and Hanowski led SCS in scoring the year before. Personally think UMass-Lowell is going to win the title. They've been on an incredible run since their listless start to the season. Amazing how far that program has come in the last two seasons. Also wonder how it'll affect Wilson possibly going pro since he has a good shot at being the leading scorer for the national champs. I'm thinking he might since he's a bit older than your normal sophomore player and there will be spots open at WBS next season.

Though I still take the Iginla trade, thank you.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
In short: yes, absolutely, 100%. Like Shero said, when you have a chance to get Jarome Iginla, you do that. I think Jarome will accept a 3-4 year contract in the range of $4 to $4.5 million.

4. Re-signing Dupuis (3 years preferably, to bring the cap hit down and lock him up, because I think he'll be a top player for 3 more years, anywhere in the top-9_
5. Extending Kunitz (obvious. At the peak of his career, great chemistry with Sid, still young)
6. Re-sign Cooke (essential on the PK, great 3rd liner, has plenty of gas in the tank, and can be bumped down to 4th line eventually. I think he would re-up for 2 or 3 years at his current salary)

Yeah, that's the guys I want to see back as well. Not quite sure about TK, I think he is capable of turning his game around again, but not at 2m/yr. I would love to see this as the top 9 next season.

Kunitz, Crosby, Iginla
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad