Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Providence is playing New Hampshire on the CBS Sports Network right now. Alex Velischek should be playing. I just stumbled on to this channel so I haven't seen him yet.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
-decent play to keep the puck in the offensive zone.
-later his cross ice pass is broken up by JVR's little brother.
-nice stretch pass.
-Jankowski sighting!
-so weak Paul Martin of last year D by our guy, but the wraparound attempt fails.
-freshman Saracino scores his second. 3-2 Providence.
-he's on the PK now. won a board battle that lead to a clearing attempt.
-even-strength, tried a poke-check, missed, got turned around, got a skate on the puck.
-Pavelski's little brother scores for UNH. now 3-3.
-he's not on the first PP unit.
-he leads the team in plus/minus.
-game is going to OT!
-he's out there for the start of the OT.
-this is a freshman dominated team (they've scored 71 points on the season, each of the other classes have scored less than 45)
-Jankowski is actually pretty good. very noticeable in OT.
-Velischek with two great plays to get the puck out of the zone in the dying seconds. winning a one-on-one battle against JVR JR.
-game is over. ends in a tie.
-if you've read this far you know i couldn't scout my way out of a paper-bag.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
-decent play to keep the puck in the offensive zone.
-later his cross ice pass is broken up by JVR's little brother.
-nice stretch pass.
-Jankowski sighting!
-so weak Paul Martin of last year D by our guy, but the wraparound attempt fails.
-freshman Saracino scores his second. 3-2 Providence.
-he's on the PK now. won a board battle that lead to a clearing attempt.
-even-strength, tried a poke-check, missed, got turned around, got a skate on the puck.
-Pavelski's little brother scores for UNH. now 3-3.
-if you've read this far you know i couldn't scout my way out of a paper-bag.

THIS is dedication. Well done, sir.

:handclap:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm curious as to why there is a 1000 post limit in a thread?

Thanks

Think it's the most the servers can take for each thread.

It also makes things neater and easier to keep together. Wouldn't be nice having to go through thousands of pages to find a post.

Also. Is there a possibility of any Penguins prospects playing in the Olympics next year? Thinking mostly Bleuger?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Who are some NCAA free agents the Penguins might target in the coming months? Besides Sustr, and mostly just inquiring about forwards in general. There's always a high turnover rate for AHL squads and I'd rather see actual prospects instead of the Warren Peters's and Benn Ferrieros.

Last edited:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I think it is regarded a defenseman's year for college free agents. Danny Dekeyser, Nate Schmidt and Sustr are apparently at the pointy end of the list this year, Dekeyser in particular. Spiro Goulakos would have been right up there too had he not been hit with cancer.

Rylan Schwartz seems to be free agent forward being talked about. Ryan Walters is a Hobey Baker threat and leads the WCHA in scoring.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Hopefully they sign Walters to keep the UNO-Pens pipeline going. A fews years from now half the team will be from there.

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
Who are some NCAA free agents the Penguins might target in the coming months? Besides Sustr, and mostly just inquiring about forwards in general. There's always a high turnover rate for AHL squads and I'd rather see actual prospects instead of the Warren Peters's and Benn Ferrieros.

A while back (November maybe) I was watching a BC Vs BU game on tv and the announcers were talking about some forward prospect on one of those teams who supposedly the penguins had interest in. Unfourtanetly I missed his name. But whoever he is, hopefully we go after him because we could use some more good forward prospects.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
A while back (November maybe) I was watching a BC Vs BU game on tv and the announcers were talking about some forward prospect on one of those teams who supposedly the penguins had interest in. Unfourtanetly I missed his name. But whoever he is, hopefully we go after him because we could use some more good forward prospects.

Yeah, we need forwards. I remember saying just before the season that I hope Damien Brunner busts and turns into the next Brunstrom, because we lost out (2nd only to Detroit) in acquiring him, and probably only because we were focussing so hard on Parise & Suter. Brunner scored his 6th goal tonight, while Tyler Kennedy is playing the worst hockey of his career. That's enough to make me go :(

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Do we have a shot at signing Sustr? I mean, I know it's the running joke and all (our defensive prospects), but are we really looking to sign this guy? I'm always intrigued by defensemen with his size, but I think I will have to laugh if we do actually land another blueline prospect for the pipeline.

We will have the best intra-squad games in the NHL, since we'll have two teams full of NHL defensemen.

OK, I'll stop now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I have to imagine we have a chance because he decided to attend our prospects summer camp, and because he has somewhat of a local connection having played in Youngstown a few years back. Teams with less defensive depth would probably have a better shot, you'd think, but maybe Sustr has insane amounts of confidence in his ability to step in and move his way up the depth chart. Never underestimate a pro athlete's ego.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Do we have a shot at signing Sustr? I mean, I know it's the running joke and all (our defensive prospects), but are we really looking to sign this guy? I'm always intrigued by defensemen with his size, but I think I will have to laugh if we do actually land another blueline prospect for the pipeline.

We will have the best intra-squad games in the NHL, since we'll have two teams full of NHL defensemen.

OK, I'll stop now.

Why not -- if we know we have the inside track on him, we could move one of our other prospects at the deadline.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

OK, I'll stop now.

If the Pens really feel like he has top-2 upside and think he's better than a lot of the prospects we already have in place, then it would be stupid NOT to sign him if he actually wanted to sign here (i.e. because he likes the team, Sid/Geno & playing with stars, the fact that he's got teammates Megna and Archibald in the organization, likes the city, etc.) If that was the case and you have the chance, you sign the player and trade another. That's just smart asset management.

However, a lot of it may come down to if the Pens felt he was NHL ready. If they did, they could guarantee him a spot on the roster if that was necessary to land him. If they don't feel he's ready to play in our top-6, then he'll sign with another team who has less depth and will give him that opportunity. We have wooed him, for sure, but it really depends what he wants and just how highly the Pens regard him. (No point signing him if he wouldn't be among the top 3 of 4 Dmen on our prospect depth chart).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Canucks thought they had the inside track on Justin Schultz, too, because of local ties. Ultimately, Schultz went to the team where he could become a No. 1 defenseman most quickly.

Food for thought.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Canucks thought they had the inside track on Justin Schultz, too, because of local ties. Ultimately, Schultz went to the team where he could become a No. 1 defenseman most quickly.

Food for thought.

To be fair...Sustr isn't going to be doing that anywhere. Best case scenario still probably sees him starting the season in the AHL...but he'd definitely have the cards stacked against him if he came here, where other organizations could offer him a shot at being the first in line for a call-up.

That said...if I were his agent I'd probably be advising him to go elsewhere. Playing time is going to be hard to get if he signs here.

I hope like hell that he does, and it works out...but I wouldn't blame him one bit if he decided to go somewhere that would offer him a better chance of getting ice time. Same reason why I don't expect D'Agostino to sign.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know enough about Sustr. Is he more of a shutdown D-man? Cuz I still think we could use more of those. PMD's, not so much.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
To be fair...Sustr isn't going to step onto any NHL roster instantly, never mind as a #1/2 instead of playing in the AHL.

That said...if I were his agent I'd probably be advising him to go elsewhere. Playing time is going to be hard to get if he signs here.

I hope like hell that he does, and it works out...but I wouldn't blame him one bit if he decided to go somewhere that would offer him a better chance of getting ice time. Same reason why I don't expect D'Agostino to sign.

Theres a difference between the two though. D'agostino would prob be our 6-7 best defensive prospect so theres no point for him by sustr, if hes as good as hes hyped up to be, just to get him sign i would assume shero would trade off 1 of maata, pouliout, depres to make space for him

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Theres a difference between the two though. D'agostino would prob be our 6-7 best defensive prospect so theres no point for him by sustr, if hes as good as hes hyped up to be, just to get him sign i would assume shero would trade off 1 of maata, pouliout, depres to make space for him

Well the problem there is that at least two of our defensive prospects are going to be traded before long to begin with.

It's a good problem to have, mind you, but it's one that's going to make it hard to convince young UFAs to sign. We can't tell him, if you sign here we'll move one of Määttä/Pouliot/Dumoulin/Harrington/Morrow and you'll replace them...because there's still five other names there. And Samuelsson (who is a better prospect than this board gives him credit for). And the guys on the NHL roster.

If Sustr signs with us it will only be because we have the necessary upper-hand over other organizations with his numerous connections here already and that he reads the depth as a motivator or doesn't value instant playing time.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't know enough about Sustr. Is he more of a shutdown D-man? Cuz I still think we could use more of those. PMD's, not so much.

That's funny, because I see it differently. Just watching tonight made us realize how badly we are missing Letang. I salivate over the luxury of having 1 or 2 more guys like that in the line-up. But the fact is, Pouliot is 3 years away minimum, and guys like Morrow and Despres probably won't provide that level of offense. I really like our overall mix, but the sooner we can get someone to create some offense from the back-end into our line-up, the better -- especially in the absence of quality offensive wingers up front.

Perhaps it's just semantics, but while a guy like Paul Martin might be considered a puck-MOVING Dman, I want a point-producing Dman, which is different.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

You don't trade 1st round picks to make room for a college UFA.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, you don't trade the guys with pedigree for a college free agent, but at the same rate, who is to say our defensive depth doesn't change as soon as this season? What if Shero goes out and trades a defensive prospect or two to get wingers? All of a sudden, there's way more room for him.

He won't hop Morrow, Despres, or Bortuzzo, but he very well could be better than any of the rest who are in the AHL now, and Maatta and Pouliot will probably be back in Jr. next season if eligible (which I don't know if they are).

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You don't trade 1st round picks to make room for a college UFA.

Well, if Sustr is a MUCH better prospect than say, Maatta, then you certainly do look to sign the better player and trade the lesser one. It's a free asset, it's like getting a free draft pick.

A good question is: if Sustr were in the draft this year, even at his age, where would he project to go? If he would only be a mid-round pick because his upside might only be a bottom pairing Dman who can play on the PK, then it's no biggie if we miss him and may not be worth signing at all. If, however, his upside is closer to that of a Zdeno Chara or Tyler Myers, that would probably make him our #1 prospect in our entire system. If the latter is the case, you sign that player if you have the chance -- regardless of who is in the system or where those players were drafted.

Yeah, you don't trade the guys with pedigree for a college free agent, but at the same rate, who is to say our defensive depth doesn't change as soon as this season? What if Shero goes out and trades a defensive prospect or two to get wingers? All of a sudden, there's way more room for him.

He won't hop Morrow, Despres, or Bortuzzo, but he very well could be better than any of the rest who are in the AHL now, and Maatta and Pouliot will probably be back in Jr. next season if eligible (which I don't know if they are).

Both Pouliot and Maatta are junior eligable next season, so both have to go back to junior (unless Maatta went back to Finland). And regardless of whether we sign Sustr or not, we know that at some point -- whether it's this season, in the summer/at the draft, or next year -- one or two of our Dmen prospects will be moved for help up front, and/or someone on our current roster (Martin/Orpik). That will open up room for guys like Dumoulin/Morrow/Harrington to push for jobs, and could even open up a spot for a guy like Sustr on the bottom pairing in the NHL, or at least give him a bigger, top-3 role in WBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad