HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread II: Post-Draft & Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Wonder if Habs have made an offer.

I never get too excited about these guys....

Look at Jiri Sekac....50 KHL games 42 points....

NHL??????????????? not too much....

Kovar....might be worth a shot but for Montreal at least..they never seem to pan out....they fizzle quick

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not that MB is bright enough to figure it out, but in an imaginary world where we had a competent GM, we have some prime opportunities to enhance the rebuilt...

Maroon, 1yr, 3-4M
Read, 1yr, 3-4M
Enstrom, 1yr, 3-4M

Three guys that would have reasonably strong incentive to choose us on a 1-yr deal... They get top 6/4 roles and a chance to earn a bigger deal/term next summer.

On our end, none are good enough to interfere with tank, just good enough to put up decent #'s & draw trade interest from contenders.

Trade Patches before season starts (RNH swap ideal, short of that, 1st & 2nd + prospects)

In-season, Byron, Shaw, maroon, read, Enstrom, Pleks, benn, schlemko & niemi are all moved for picks/prospects.

Head into next summer with 7-9 picks in top 90 (at least 2x first rd) & a ton of cap space....

We'd then be set with prospect depth to focus on building towards contention... And a base roster with a nice amount of quality young supporting cast.

Leaving us 1-2 trades/signings & 1-2 prospects panning out away from being a legit contender.

Drouin -X - X
Domi - X - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Danault - Armia
DLo - JDR - Hudon

X - Weber
Mete - Petry
Valiev - Juulsen

Price
Lingren

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Not that MB is bright enough to figure it out, but in an imaginary world where we had a competent GM, we have some prime opportunities to enhance the rebuilt...

Maroon, 1yr, 3-4M
Read, 1yr, 3-4M
Enstrom, 1yr, 3-4M

Three guys that would have reasonably strong incentive to choose us on a 1-yr deal... They get top 6/4 roles and a chance to earn a bigger deal/term next summer

Completely agree on this, hell I’d even pay them more......it is a no brainer imo..

Trade Max
Trade Shaw
Trade Petry (if return is right)
Trade Byron

Sign any free agents we can flip at TDL, we can entice them by:

A: paying more than the other teams on 1 year deals

B: giving them prime ice time

C: flipping them at TDL which almost guarantees they’ll play playoff hockey. Retain 50% on all

Reactions: bsl

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Completely agree on this, hell I’d even pay them more......it is a no brainer imo..

Trade Max
Trade Shaw
Trade Petry (if return is right)
Trade Byron

Sign any free agents we can flip at TDL, we can entice them by:

A: paying more than the other teams on 1 year deals

B: giving them prime ice time

C: flipping them at TDL which almost guarantees they’ll play playoff hockey. Retain 50% on all

You can only retain on 3 contracts at a time.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Isn't it two contracts a season?

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
What is a retained salary transaction/trade
When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
  1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.
Once a retained salary transcation has occured, there are various limitations, such as:
  • A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.
  • All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.
  • Teams who retain salary on a players contract, will have the full value of the cap hit act against the teams salary cap total, regardless of whether the player is reassigned to the minors by their current team.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Took guts for Marc to select Kotkaniemi. As he is likely setting the table for somebody else. He could have traded down for immediate help, or drafted immediate help. To incresse odds of him staying longer. But he choose to draft what team needs long term.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Took guts for Marc to select Kotkaniemi. As he is likely setting the table for somebody else. He could have traded down for immediate help, or drafted immediate help. To incresse odds of him staying longer. But he choose to draft what team needs long term.

I will give him that, was scared as f*** he would do something stupid. Plus I liked the trading down and getting more picks. Also because we are so bad we didn't have to worry about him overpaying UFA's since they would just laugh at him and tell him to f*** off and lose this phone number.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I will give him that, was scared as **** he would do something stupid. Plus I liked the trading down and getting more picks. Also because we are so bad we didn't have to worry about him overpaying UFA's since they would just laugh at him and tell him to **** off and lose this phone number.

The fact Tavares and Stastny quickly shut the door on joining Montreal was a blessing in disguise, in a sense. I would have never said no to signing JT if he legitimately wanted to give Habs a chance. But the fact he and Stastny, specifically, shut that door, it helped Bergevin stay the course in building for the future and openly admitting it's about speed and skill (yes, and character and attitude). He and Timmins, between them, have given enough of an idea on what their mission is, and it's them looking to get younger and faster.

I'm not MB's biggest fan, but I don't think he's as bad as about 98% believe he is. But that being said, for someone who is "on the hot seat," he sure isn't acting like someone desperate to save his job so he makes moves for the now. I was happy to hear him say the night before the draft that he will do what's best for the Habs' future, whether he's here or not.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Leafs signed Frederik Gauthier to a two-year, two-way contract worth $675K. This is a good comparable as they're both in the same boat as mostly AHL players that have played in the NHL. In fact, Gauthier has 3 less NHL points than McCarron in 32 less games.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Great video. Love the behind the scenes stuff like this

Thought it was interesting that before the Edmonton trade, Timmins was taking Hillis with our original pick. Then after the trade and he was available, Timmins said thanks to Marc for allowing him to pick him.

Timmins and Churla seemed pumped to get him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad