HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread II: Post-Draft & Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Once the roster gets trimmed to 23 guys, we will still have around 10M in capspace...it did wonders for us last year, so....................

That is amazing !!! I never knew Marc had it in him to sign Capspace to such a great deal!

10 million X 1 year!!! This is cap spaces second bridge deal after last years 8million for 1 year..... How Marc was able to resign him after not only lodging top minutes against all the lines, having a cool +- of ZERO and all he had to do was give him 2 million more per season is just mind blowing:bow::bow:

I know some of you haters are gonna get all on my case so here out this math. :nono:

Capspace last year played a whopping 82 games, and 60 mins a game . That is a total ice time of 4920 minutes!!!!

When you divide that by 10 million , that is 2023$ per minute of play time.

To put that in contrast, Jeff Petry who makes 5.5 million and just to round up lets say played on average 29 mins a for the full 82 game season...

2378 minutes of play time at 5.5 a season = 2313 per minute of play time.

HOLY VALUE BAT MAN!!!!!! FREAKING CAPSPACE IS HUGE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK !!!! LOOK AT THAT MOTHER F-ING VALUE!!!!

Not only that.... but freaking petry was -30 last season... vs Capspace was a cool ZERO!!!
Now now... dont pick on poor petry , lets look at Mr. Cap Friendly Captian here....
Patches.... 64 games played... Average time on Ice.. 19:01 ( hockey reference .com)
4.5 Million /(19:01 X 62=1178 min)= $3820 per minute of playtime

.... yes... LET that bomb sink in.....
Patches the friendly(ghost) caphit has WORSE VALUE then Capspace...

Holy Crow Tank Toad..... I can't believe it!

Yes yes... you will have a point that Both Petry and Patches contributed a bit more offensively... but to play that much ice time, top line minus against the hardest match ups.. and come out a ZERO for plus minus .... that is gosh dang amazing. I mean we all knew CJ was a defensive minded coach , and clearly he trusts capspace to play those hard minutes...

SO in summary... MARC is amazing, I can't believe he landed this ! :highclap::5:

I cant wait to see cap space suit up again for another long season.... I can only hope that he at least matches his amazing defensive game... If it does he will get a raise and we should sign him long term.

I don't think these are necessary..... but just in case their was ANY DOUBT...... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Also I acknowledge I spent far to much time on this post...... :loony:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I was wondering about that. Do you know the threshold? I would have thought something in the 2-3 month range would qualify since you have to find a replacement that starts to dent your cap.

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So I am wrong in saying Byron, Shaw, and Weber won't be out long enough to be placed on LTIR. Because according to CapFriendly, who is real good at this stuff, a team can place a player on LTIR if they miss at least 10 games or 24 days.

However, teams that use LTIR are the ones who are pressed up against the cap and need the relief. Most teams who have the room don't do this. Which is why Hemsky missed practically the entire year last season and was never placed on LTIR. Because Habs had the room.

So even now, knowing Byron, Shaw, and especially Weber will miss the start of the season, Habs don't need to place them on LTIR since even if they count against the cap on IR, the Habs still have $10M at their disposal.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Is this 10.9 mill left to sign the 3 RFA's or is that what they project the capspace to be with those 3 RFA's on projected deals?

Figure about $5M for those three and we’d be left with $6M or so. Minus Patches and we’re right back at $10M.

Molson will be happy.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is this 10.9 mill left to sign the 3 RFA's or is that what they project the capspace to be with those 3 RFA's on projected deals?

The way CapFriendly has the team listed, Danault is listed on the NHL roster while Rychel and McCarron are listed on the Non-Roster section. So really, as far as CapFriendly's $10.9M is concerned, the only signing Montreal has that can have an impact on that space is Danault.

When McCarron and Rychel sign, they won't be counted on the cap (on CapFriendly at least) because they will be listed on the Non-Rosters Players section.

Also, they have 24/23 roster spots occupied after Armia's signing. So with Danault's signing, they will have 25/23 listed. So you know there will be more maneuvering by opening night, whether through trades or any possibly late summer/training camp signings, as well as roster moves on who makes the 23-man roster and who is sent to Laval.

All this to simply tell you, on CapFriendly, Habs have $10.9M and only Danault left to sign.

Reactions: Redux91

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why not sign Vermette to shore up center and trade at the trade deadline along with Plex for more picks. Once NCAA season is over, it’d make space for Poehling at the end of the season.

He’d be worth a 2nd or a 3rd to a contender looking for center depth at the deadline. Same for Plex. Add that to what we’d get for Byron, Benn, Max and we’ll have a fully stocked farm in no time.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Why not sign Vermette to shore up center and trade at the trade deadline along with Plex for more picks. Once NCAA season is over, it’d make space for Poehling at the end of the season.

He’d be worth a 2nd or a 3rd to a contender looking for center depth at the deadline. Same for Plex. Add that to what we’d get for Byron, Benn, Max and we’ll have a fully stocked farm in no time.
Vermette at a 1 or 2 year deal might be alright as we wait for Poehling and Kotka

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Vermette at a 1 or 2 year deal might be alright as we wait for Poehling and Kotka

I’m thinking of a 1 year deal. Then we restrain half at the deadline to maximize his value. This is a pure asset play. Sign a vet center to trade. It’ll help Vermette elevate his stats in a contract year and allow him to play for a contender end of year. Win win.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I’m thinking of a 1 year deal. Then we restrain half at the deadline to maximize his value. This is a pure asset play. Sign a vet center to trade. It’ll help Vermette elevate his stats in a contract year and allow him to play for a contender end of year. Win win.
Vermette is a name I suggested in the past but I would have preferred signing him over Plekanec, I wouldn't want both with the team. We have some kids who need to be given minutes (Lehk, Scherbak, Hudon, Armia).

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Vermette is a name I suggested in the past but I would have preferred signing him over Plekanec, I wouldn't want both with the team. We have some kids who need to be given minutes (Lehk, Scherbak, Hudon, Armia).

They’re all wingers. Move Drouin back to wing and go with Danault DLR Vermette and Plex down the middle and attack up the ice from the wings where the talent is.

At least we’ll have 4 actual centers and skilled wingers playing where they should be until kids move in next year.

Reactions: Vygor

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I’d sign Vermette or literally any ufa on a one year deal. Worst case we spend some money.

Best case we get a pick at TDL for then

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’d sign Vermette or literally any ufa on a one year deal. Worst case we spend some money.

Best case we get a pick at TDL for then

Exactly. Wings are full up so we need to add centers we can trade. Possibly on D as well though between Schlemko and Benn I think we’re all full up there.

Trade bait:
Max
Byron
Plex
Vermette
Benn
Schlemko
Niemi

More than enough there to get some solid picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad