HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread II: Post-Draft & Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

NHL Network shows how great they are at their jobs. Their notable departures include Steve Mason, a guy who was acquired in the off-season and bought out the next day. Very notable departure.

Another notable departure, Ales Hemsky. A guy who played a grand total of 6 games and 1 period.

The only notable departure this off-season is Galchenyuk. I wanted Carr to be qualified, but his departure isn't notable, either.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Like I have mentioned before, they should sign Kevin Bieksa to a 1 year deal and have your right side as Petry, Bieksa and Lernout. Trade Petry once Weber is back or at the deadline. Have Juulsen being the 1st one called up in case of injuries to one of your RHD.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Personally I would be in on signing any low risk high reward ufa on a 1 year deal

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Like I have mentioned before, they should sign Kevin Bieksa to a 1 year deal and have your right side as Petry, Bieksa and Lernout. Trade Petry once Weber is back or at the deadline. Have Juulsen being the 1st one called up in case of injuries to one of your RHD.

Oh boy. I liked prime Kevin Bieksa but current Kevin Bieksa is a no go :laugh:

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I wouldn't be against bringing back Emelin so we could keep Mete and/or Juulsen down in the AHL to develop more. He can play both sides, played well with Petry before and could probably get us a pick at the deadline.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I wouldn't be against bringing back Emelin so we could keep Mete and/or Juulsen down in the AHL to develop more. He can play both sides, played well with Petry before and could probably get us a pick at the deadline.

What's the point? Develop them in the NHL... Put Mete on the first pair and let him play. There're literally no expectations for this team going into the season so let the kids play. They might surprise...

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Better RHD than Bieksa with way more offense like Cody Franson and Ryan Sproul both have big shots and could help a PP while Weber is out.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
What's the point? Develop them in the NHL... Put Mete on the first pair and let him play. There're literally no expectations for this team going into the season so let the kids play. They might surprise...

The point is Claude Julien is our head coach and I highly doubt he'd do that, even when expectations this year are rock bottom. He's the same guy who would play plugs like Jordie Benn on the top pair while giving Mete 6-10 minutes a game at times last year.

We've added some solid AHL players to Laval this year and finally have an actual head coach there, I'd like to see both Mete/Juulsen play big minutes there and try to develop more offensively after they combined for 2 goals and 16 points in 103 professional games last year.

Reactions: montreal

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Better RHD than Bieksa with way more offense like Cody Franson and Ryan Sproul both have big shots and could help a PP while Weber is out.
I am fine with this, but it would be nice to see Bieksa Superman punching people though. With Deslauriers, Lernout, Bieksa and McCarron we wont be pushed around.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The point is Claude Julien is our head coach and I highly doubt he'd do that, even when expectations this year are rock bottom. He's the same guy who would play plugs like Jordie Benn on the top pair while giving Mete 6-10 minutes a game at times last year.

We've added some solid AHL players to Laval this year and finally have an actual head coach there, I'd like to see both Mete/Juulsen play big minutes there and try to develop more offensively after they combined for 2 goals and 16 points in 103 professional games last year.
Don't let all these negative nancies cloud your judgment man!

Mete made the team as an 18-year-old last year and he was paired with Weber from the get go!

Mete played 207 minutes with Weber and 121 minutes with Petry last season!

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I am fine with this, but it would be nice to see Bieksa Superman punching people though. With Deslauriers, Lernout, Bieksa and McCarron we wont be pushed around.

Are you serious? Did you watch any hockey in the last 2-3 years? The game is transitioning towards speed and skill, and away from fighting and goonery. Beefing up the lineup is completely useless and even detrimental (less speed, less skill).

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Are you serious? Did you watch any hockey in the last 2-3 years? The game is transitioning towards speed and skill, and away from fighting and goonery. Beefing up the lineup is completely useless and even detrimental (less speed, less skill).
Sure! But look at our lineup. Dont we want to tank this year?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Sure! But look at our lineup. Dont we want to tank this year?

I'd rather go down playing kids with potential and a few good vets. Which is certainly not what we're doing so far, but that's another subject.

That being said, I have to agree that we'd be more certain of a bad result with your approach, though.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'd rather go down playing kids with potential and a few good vets. Which is certainly not what we're doing so far, but that's another subject.

That being said, I have to agree that we'd be more certain of a bad result with your approach, though.
I just think Juulsen and Mete will benefit more playing top minutes on a winning team in the AHL than the gongshow in Montreal.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I just think Juulsen and Mete will benefit more playing top minutes on a winning team in the AHL than the gongshow in Montreal.

Honestly my expectations for Laval are low. I don't see where the talent is improved. Coaching may help, but until the talented prospects start arriving it is vets replacing similar vets, and prospects with little future filling the roster. How many future NHLers do you honestly see on that roster? The goalies and little else.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

NHL Network shows how great they are at their jobs. Their notable departures include Steve Mason, a guy who was acquired in the off-season and bought out the next day. Very notable departure.

Another notable departure, Ales Hemsky. A guy who played a grand total of 6 games and 1 period.

The only notable departure this off-season is Galchenyuk. I wanted Carr to be qualified, but his departure isn't notable, either.

Calling Plekanec a key addition is also a stretch given he was on the team for most of last season already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad