HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread II: Post-Draft & Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Red - Firing or Departure
Green - Hiring or Signing
Blue - Promotion/Demotion/Personnel Movement
Invitation to Camp

Department of Hockey Operations

Coach Departures
- Jean-Jacques Daigneault (Montreal Canadiens - Contract Not Renewed)
- Dan Lacroix (Montreal Canadiens - Fired)

- Sylvain Lefebvre (Laval Rocket - Fired)
- Nick Carrière (Laval Rocket - Fired)
- Donald Dufresne (Laval Rocket - Fired)

Coach Arrivals
- Dominique Ducharme (Hired as Assistant Coach in NHL)
- Luke Richardson (Hired as Assistant Coach in NHL)
- Joel Bouchard (Hired as Laval Rocket Head Coach)
- Daniel Jacob (Hired as Laval Rocket Assistant Coach)
- Alexandre Burrows (Hired as Laval Rocket Assistant Coach)

Management Departures
- Rick Dudley (Leaves to Carolina Hurricanes)
- Larry Carriere (Goes from Laval Rocket GM to Director of Player Personnel for the AHL/ECHL)

Management Arrivals

Other Departments

- Donald Beauchamp (Resigns - Senior VP of Commucations)
- Paul Wilson (Hired as Senior VP, Public Affairs and Communications for Group CH)
- Trevor Hanson (Amateur Scout - USA)
- Tommy Lehman (Amateur Scout - Sweden)

RFA's
- Hunter Shinkaruk (Signed to 1-Year, Two-Way Deal - $650,000)
- Rinat Valiev (Signed to 1-Year, Two-Way Deal - $650,000)

- Max Domi (Signed to 2-Year, One-Way Deal - $3.15M)
- Jacob De La Rose (Signed 2-Year, One-Way Deal - $900,000)

- Joel Armia (Signed to 1-Year, One-Way Deal - $1.85M)
- Phillip Danault (Signed to 3-Year, One-Way Deal - $3.083M)
- Michael McCarron (Signed to 1-Year, Two-Way Deal - $874,125)

UFA's
- Antti Niemi (Signed to 1-Year, One-Way Deal - $950,000)
- Xavier Ouellet (Signed 1-Year, Two-Way Deal - $700,000)
- Matthew Peca (Signed 2-Year, One-Way Deal - $1.3M)
- Kenny Agostino (Signed 1-Year, Two-Way Deal - $700,000)
- Michael Chaput (Signed 2-Year, One-Way Deal - $650,000)

PTO's
- Simon Depres (Invited to Habs' Training Camp)
- Joel Ward (Invited to Habs' Training Camp)

Players With 1 Year Left (Can Be Extended on July 1st)

- Paul Byron (UFA)
- Jordie Benn (UFA)
- Byron Froese (UFA)
- Matt Taormina (UFA)
- Charles Hudon (RFA)
- Nikita Scherbak (RFA)
- Artturin Lehkonen (RFA)
- Mike Reilly (RFA)
- Daniel Audette (RFA)
- Brett Lernout (RFA)

Habs Draftees

- Will Bitten (Signed to 3-Year ELC - $805,000)
- Michael Pezzetta (Signed to 3-Year ELC - $743,333)
- Jake Evans (Signed to 2-Year ELC - $925,000)
- Lukas Vejdemo (Signed to 2-Year ELC - $792,500)
- Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Signed 3-Year ELC - $925,000)

Undrafted UFA's Signed

- Hayden Verbeek (Signed to 3-Year ELC - $753,333)
- Alexandre Alain (Signed to 3-Year ELC - $753,333)
- Michal Moravčík (Signed to 2-Year ELC - $925,ooo)
- David Sklenička (Signed to 2-Year ELC - $925,000)

AHL Contracts
- Adam Plant (1-Year, One-Way Deal with Laval)
- T.J. Melancon (1-Year, One-Way Deal with Laval)
- Morgan Adams-Moisan (1-Year, Two-Way Deal with Laval)
- Phélix Martineau (1-Year, One-Way Deal with Laval)
- Étienne Marcoux (1-Year, Two-Way Deal with Laval)
- Alexandre Grenier (1-Year, One Way Deal with Laval)
- Maxim Lamarche (2-Year, One-Way Deal with Laval)
- Nikita Jevpalovs (1-Year, One-Way Deal with Laval)
- Ryan Culkin (1-Year, Two-Way Deal with Laval)
- Alex Belzile (1-Year, One-Way Deal with Laval)

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Has anyone seen any rumours regarding our next potential D coach?

I saw a couple weeks ago talks about the Habs' having interest in Mike Kitchen, but haven't seen anything since.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Has anyone seen any rumours regarding our next potential D coach?

I saw a couple weeks ago talks about the Habs' having interest in Mike Kitchen, but haven't seen anything since.

Bergevin in his press conference said they have narrowed their search down to 3 candidates. The only name that has been reported is Mike Kitchen. No one's ever mentioned who the other two are.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
On the positive side, more ice time for Petry might increase his value??

Guys???

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
We can’t afford to trade Petry if we can’t rely on Weber health wise.

We can’t afford not to trade Petry imho, he isn’t a first pairing dman anyways, if we are relying on him to be our 1d we might as well sell high, we’re in deep regardless

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We can’t afford not to trade Petry imho, he isn’t a first pairing dman anyways, if we are relying on him to be our 1d we might as well sell high, we’re in deep regardless

Doesn’t really matter if he’s not a #1, he’s a solid #3 who can fill that #1 role when he has too. I’d prefer we don’t stick prospects into the fire giving them first line minutes and ruining their development. Petry is a really good stop gap. We have to ice a roster at the end of the day. We can’t just trade everyone.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not only can we afford to...now you kinda HAVE to.
No point in keeping him, you get what you can, and you tank hard. I don't care if that means giving Ouellet 1st-pairing icetime.

Good veterans can be just as important as the kids in a rebuild. People get a little to focuses on selling everyone to get picks or assets and forget how a team actually functions. This is where Edmonton went wrong in my opinion. They went way to young and the kids started to drown.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Good veterans can be just as important as the kids in a rebuild. People get a little to focuses on selling everyone to get picks or assets and forget how a team actually functions. This is where Edmonton went wrong in my opinion. They went way to young and the kids started to drown.

But Montreal needs to improve their prospect pool. Even after this draft it isn't anything special.

And Edmonton's problem wasn't/isn't that they went to young. They made it a priority to bring in veterans. They were generally terrible at evaluating how good those vets were. They never skimped there though.

They were/are also bad at adding quality prospects outside of their lottery picks. And they rarely stockpiled good picks. They traded up for Rodrigue (62nd) this year and as a result only picked 5 players. The last time they had multiple 1st rounders was 2011 (and they picked up RNH and Klefbom, two good NHLers). Before that was 2007 (which they messed up royally, although Montreal is the only team that really killed it that draft). Before this season, the last time they had multiple 2nd round picks was 2010.

The Oilers rebuild always lacked discipline and focus and they never committed to just drafting and developing. Their scouting didn't help, but patience and vision was sorely missing. Still is to an extent.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
But Montreal needs to improve their prospect pool. Even after this draft it isn't anything special.

And Edmonton's problem wasn't/isn't that they went to young. They made it a priority to bring in veterans. They were generally terrible at evaluating how good those vets were. They never skimped there though.

They were/are also bad at adding quality prospects outside of their lottery picks. And they rarely stockpiled good picks. They traded up for Rodrigue (62nd) this year and as a result only picked 5 players. The last time they had multiple 1st rounders was 2011 (and they picked up RNH and Klefbom, two good NHLers). Before that was 2007 (which they messed up royally, although Montreal is the only team that really killed it that draft). Before this season, the last time they had multiple 2nd round picks was 2010.

The Oilers rebuild always lacked discipline and focus and they never committed to just drafting and developing. Their scouting didn't help, but patience and vision was sorely missing. Still is to an extent.

I don’t disagree. I do think they went to young. But I agree they did an awful job with the bringing veterans in. To many of the kids were put in positions they weren’t ready for and leaned on heavily. Their rebuild was unorganized to say the least. That’s where I see the value in a player like Petry. He can play both top and 2nd pair minutes and give some relief to younger right side defenceman which is a very important position to develop. Unless somebody made some can’t refuse offer, I’d keep him. I realize that one draft isn’t enough as far as filling a prospect pool.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I don’t disagree. I do think they went to young. But I agree they did an awful job with the bringing veterans in. To many of the kids were put in positions they weren’t ready for and leaned on heavily. Their rebuild was unorganized to say the least. That’s where I see the value in a player like Petry. He can play both top and 2nd pair minutes and give some relief to younger right side defenceman which is a very important position to develop. Unless somebody made some can’t refuse offer, I’d keep him. I realize that one draft isn’t enough as far as filling a prospect pool.

The idea that a team as fundamentally messed up as the Habs are can't trade a 30 year old defenceman (even one as good and valuable as Petry) for anything less than a "can't refuse offer" seems wierd to me. Granted, I view a "can't refuse offer" as a clear and obvious win in the future, but you may have a different definition. But of some team is offering a mid-low 1st/early 2nd plus a quality prospect at a position of need, You take it. Because by the time Montreal has any chance of competing, Petry may be gone and wont be as good anyways. The lesson with the Pacioretty situation is to start shopping while there's plenty of term left on a good contract.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The idea that a team as fundamentally messed up as the Habs are can't trade a 30 year old defenceman (even one as good and valuable as Petry) for anything less than a "can't refuse offer" seems wierd to me. Granted, I view a "can't refuse offer" as a clear and obvious win in the future, but you may have a different definition. But of some team is offering a mid-low 1st/early 2nd plus a quality prospect at a position of need, You take it. Because by the time Montreal has any chance of competing, Petry may be gone and wont be as good anyways. The lesson with the Pacioretty situation is to start shopping while there's plenty of term left on a good contract.

I would consider what you proposed can’t refuse. If we are clear winners like you said, then I can see it. But even then, you better make sure you have other options so the younger players aren’t being put in a position to fail and other personalities in the locker room to teach them the ropes and help make the transition easier. The NHL isn’t a development league in my opinion, and a lot of rebuilding teams do treat it that way. It’s important to make sure things are as organizaed as possible. Much like the Blackhawks, Kings, Penguins, and Tampa did or Toronto now. It doesn’t have to turn into a mess like the Oilers and Sabers and I think this is what frightens most people that are against rebuilding. All comes down to management and how they orchestrate it.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I would consider what you proposed can’t refuse. If we are clear winners like you said, then I can see it. But even then, you better make sure you have other options so the younger players aren’t being put in a position to fail and other personalities in the locker room to teach them the ropes and help make the transition easier. The NHL isn’t a development league in my opinion, and a lot of rebuilding teams do treat it that way. It’s important to make sure things are as organizaed as possible. Much like the Blackhawks, Kings, Penguins, and Tampa did or Toronto now. It doesn’t have to turn into a mess like the Oilers and Sabres and I think this is what frightens most people that are against rebuilding. All comes down to management and how they orchestrate it.

I don't think its that hard to find undervalued D-men that can hold down a mid-pair spot. Obviously not as well as a guy like Petry, but Vegas (Schmidt, Miller), Colorado (Nemeth), NYR (Pionk), Toronto (Zaitsev, Hainsey) and NJ (Moore) showed its possible. Again, they don't have to be great, they have to occupy the spot and minutes.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Would have been neat to see what Duclair can still do and reunite him with Domi....but were offering him a 2-way....

Reactions: mariolemieux66

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't think its that hard to find undervalued D-men that can hold down a mid-pair spot.

Less about who can hold back a mid pair spot and more about who will be moved up to top pairing if Weber remains out and injury prone. We saw last year how toxic the environment can be when the other team is filling your net.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Less about who can hold back a mid pair spot and more about who will be moved up to top pairing if Weber remains out and injury prone. We saw last year how toxic the environment can be when the other team is filling your net.

There is no way to rebuild effectively and not lose.

The toxic environment is a result of expectations a team has and the expectations placed on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad