*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Rangers started out a little in awe of Erie last night but after they scored the first goal the played like they were on a mission. Brown had one assist and Fox was held pointless. Seemed like both spent the entire game on the ice trying to spark something. The Rangers had them frustrated by the third and they really had no answer to them. Gaunce had their only two goals in the first. They hit three post but in saying that the Rangers had a bunch of chances they failed to capitalize on also. Erie tried their best to intimidate the young Ranger players with hits, slashes and chirped but received a few hard body checks back for their troubles. Robinson had a hat trick in this one.

It was a great game and a total team effort.

Unfortunately, Robinson hurt his wrist in Erie, and is out indefinitely. Between the 9 or 10 rookies every night and the injuries to the few vets on the team, this year has been ridiculous.

It sounds as though Smith is through coddling the team - sometimes a pat on the back works well, but a kick in the butt does too. His timeout on Friday night was what woke up the boys.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I suspect that something will be worked out as well.
While London is a rival, Mark Hunter and Hiebert will work out a mutual agreeable resolution!

To my knowledge, there has been nothing new on this issue. I am of the opinion that the Hunters will or already have told the Rangers they can go pound salt. Buyer beware, in other words.

Unless the league steps in, I highly doubt the Hunters will be sending any compensation the Rangers' way - nor should they IMO. And why would they? If Leroux was damaged goods, wouldn't it have been up to the Rangers to insist on conditions that he pass a physical before the deal is completed? There was no secret that he was out with a shoulder injury shortly before the deal. The Rangers are guilty of not doing their due diligence I'd think.

If I'm the Hunters, and I agree on some sort of compensation to the Rangers, wouldn't I be admitting fault or acknowledging I knew that I sent damaged goods the other way in a deal? That's not gonna happen.

And the Hunters' refusing to compensate the Rangers, if Leroux was damaged goods, won't affect their ability to deal with OHL GM's in the future. All future trade partners will have to do, is do their own due diligence by either having players pass physicals before a deal is completed and/or have conditional picks included should a similar situation arise.

The only question here is whether or not the Rangers have, or are planning to, put in a complaint to the league? And if so, do they have a case?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If it's true that the Rangers are in discussion with Hunter its obvious something was said about Leroux being injured in the Belleville game the week before when he was a Knight. Could be he got a clean bill of health before that game? Personally I think the Rangers should have stayed away from any player with shoulder problems. They went after Leroux and over paid which makes it worse. It's not the first time a player has been dealt with a hidden injury. If the Knights had any class they would offer compensation in this case but they also have the option to tell Hiebert to pound salt. Not to proactive going forward one would think. Other than that their only other option is the league.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Well, a last minute game changing goal and it wasn't against the Rangers for a change.

The Magyar-MacInnis-Pederson line is flying, and Bailey had a couple of nice plays.

The whole team still has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the puck - Dekort got hung out to dry a number of times, and the first couple of goals were not his fault.

The good teams will still tear this team apart, but getting a win against a team they should beat is a step in the right direction.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Well, a last minute game changing goal and it wasn't against the Rangers for a change.

The Magyar-MacInnis-Pederson line is flying, and Bailey had a couple of nice plays.

The whole team still has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the puck - Dekort got hung out to dry a number of times, and the first couple of goals were not his fault.

The good teams will still tear this team apart, but getting a win against a team they should beat is a step in the right direction.

Pointless hypothetical scenerio:....

Had a discussion last night during the game and I thought it was interesting and wanted to hear what other ppl have to say.

If this years goalkeeping was placed on last years team and John Gibson/Franky was on this years team. Which team would finish higher?
I know last years team had the experienced "star" players but in reality how many games did the goalies bail the team out of a loss?

I think it would be quite close even though the logical answer would be last years team would prevail. I just think last years team was a group of individuals which severely underperformed.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
To my knowledge, there has been nothing new on this issue. I am of the opinion that the Hunters will or already have told the Rangers they can go pound salt. Buyer beware, in other words.

That very well could be the final verdict. But I suspect a discussion has happened but nothing will be resolved one way or another till late January or even later.
I suspect Mark Hunter has bigger and more important fish to fry at the present time.

kwrangersfan22

Apr 30, 2013
Brown states that should Cascagnette (10 games played, 7 during WJC) play 1 more game then his ohl card kicks in. I was under the impression that while the WJC was going on, these games didn't count towards ohl card. Anyone know?

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Pointless hypothetical scenerio:....

Had a discussion last night during the game and I thought it was interesting and wanted to hear what other ppl have to say.
If this years goalkeeping was placed on last years team and John Gibson/Franky was on this years team. Which team would finish higher?
I know last years team had the experienced "star" players but in reality how many games did the goalies bail the team out of a loss?

I think it would be quite close even though the logical answer would be last years team would prevail. I just think last years team was a group of individuals which severely underperformed.

It's an interesting discussion. Greenfield has been pretty good for a kid thrown into the fire, and Dekort hasn't been as bad as his stats show. Last year's team had oodles more skill and experience than this crop, but they didn't play like it most of the time. In that respect, I prefer watching this group of rookies, despite their inexperience in not being able to close out teams when they get a lead.

Gibson on this year's team would be fun to watch. Greenfield and/or Dekort on last year's team would have been disaster.

Acad

Mar 17, 2012
Let's go Murray, time to trade Faska+ others, let's build for the future.

IN MURRAY, WE TRUST.

KnightRanger

Dec 30, 2009
Waterloo
With London getting Smith from OS, this must mean Radek is staying put??? I hope not for Rangers fans, but who else is interested? And where will he go? I thought London as it was still close to KW and he would get to play in the show!

Maybe Ktown wanted too much! Or maybe they were never in talks. Who knows!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
With London getting Smith from OS, this must mean Radek is staying put??? I hope not for Rangers fans, but who else is interested? And where will he go? I thought London as it was still close to KW and he would get to play in the show!

Maybe Ktown wanted too much! Or maybe they were never in talks. Who knows!

Oshawa is really the only spot left for an import.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I did cartwheels, and I never could before.

In all seriousness if Spott was still here he probably would've been a buyer to make a 'run for the Memorial Cup for our 51st Anniversary'!

I also suspect this was why the trade didn't happen with London....much better return than whatever London could've offered up!

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
In all seriousness if Spott was still here he probably would've been a buyer to make a 'run for the Memorial Cup for our 51st Anniversary'!

I also suspect this was why the trade didn't happen with London....much better return than whatever London could've offered up!

For sure. Anyone with the current GM job in Kitchener had to realize that a 2nd round pick in 2014 was a necessity and London couldn't provide that. And the second one in 2016 gives us some leverage as well which London couldn't have provided.

Hiebert inherited a team that was going to play .350 hockey all season and had no 2nd round picks until 2017 and turned it into a team that'll play .350 hockey and has 2nd round picks in every year now, plus a couple players who will be here for a few more years. That's sound work if you ask me.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Hiebert inherited a team that was going to play .350 hockey all season and had no 2nd round picks until 2017 and turned it into a team that'll play .350 hockey and has 2nd round picks in every year now, plus a couple players who will be here for a few more years. That's sound work if you ask me.

and Hiebert could flip Kubalik before the import draft and then draft a high import.
I suspect Sergeev age is more in line with the Rangers peaking 2 years from now.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
At these prices I hope Murray still has more work to do regardless of what he says.

I'm not sure he does. Our tradeable assets are dwindling. I've heard there have been inquiries about Iafrate, but he'll be back as an OA and is our only toughness.

Not to mention the prices for him and Marcantuoni won't likely be high enough to pull the trigger. If someone offers two 2nds for either though, you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad