*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My take on next year's roster;

OA's should they be returned:
Marcantuoni, Meighan, Iafrate.
I like Iafrate and Marcantuoni as OA's. I'd move Meighan and try and bring in an OA winger or d-man - preferably one with size and grit. As I said earlier, there's no room for two OA centers when we have MacInnis, Kohn and possibly a top 10 import center around.

Goaltending:
As Tim Wallach said, hopefully we get at least one of Opilka / Lavigne to report. Hopefully they both do and are happy playing splitting the games. As far as who to keep between Greenfield and DeKort? Flip a coin. I really don't believe one is any further ahead than the other as far as grabbing the #1 spot goes.

Import players:
As I've said earlier, this is easy. Deal Kubalik who should have some trade value. Keep Sergeev and draft a high end forward with the top 10 pick.

The forward group:
I believe we can ice three pretty good lines next year. There will be very little room for rookies to get onto this club.
Players like Soper, Teskey, and most of the JrB callups will be hard pressed to return next year.
In: Import pick(could immediately be a top six player). 1st round OHL pick (after Chychrun, I hear it's all forwards in the top few picks).

The Blueline:
Everyone comes back but I'd move a '96 birthdate for a '95. I mentioned DiPerna earlier. Is Anthony DeAngelo available for DiPerna + more? He apparently wants out of that gong show in Sarnia.

Speaking of Chychrun, I've heard rumors that he may refuse to report to Sarnia and Belleville. True or not? Who knows. I doubt he slips to where we'll be drafting because whoever drafts 1st overall should draft him and deal him if they can't get him signed. They'd be crazy not to.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The Rangers have always been involved in the community - we just hear about it more now, due to social media. They've had players going to schools, grocery store appearances, etc. for years. I don't think that part of it is overdone, at all.

But I do agree with you guys on wanting a tougher brand of hockey in Kitchener. I don't care if there are fights so much, but be tough to play against. The last number of years, the Rangers have been easy to push around (for the most part) and hitting has been almost an afterthought.

And that's all I'm saying. I am all for their community involvement. I think it's a great thing for the team and kids. All I'm saying is that the focus can't shift more towards that than the hockey and on-ice culture.

I really believe that in the last few years they have come dangerously close to losing the plot if you will. This is a hockey team assembled to play hockey and win games. The community involvement only supports that end. And this team really is towing a line where they flirt with putting the community image ahead of their image on the ice.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
And that's all I'm saying. I am all for their community involvement. I think it's a great thing for the team and kids. All I'm saying is that the focus can't shift more towards that than the hockey and on-ice culture.

I really believe that in the last few years they have come dangerously close to losing the plot if you will. This is a hockey team assembled to play hockey and win games. The community involvement only supports that end. And this team really is towing a line where they flirt with putting the community image ahead of their image on the ice.

Since I seem to have started this "too much community involvement" discussion, I agree with what Tim has said above and I should have expanded my initial remark further.
Community involvement is important in maintaining and developing fan interest but it definitely should take a back seat to the kids
schooling and hockey playing. Having said that I have zero info if the players are finding playing hockey, schooling, r and r and community involvement too over whelming.

Now for next years team, if MM or Iafrate doesn't come back for an OA year and if Hiebert can sign some 16/17 or 18 yr old studs I have zero issues
with only going with 1 or 2 overagers. But yes, as Bobber, ES and Tim as stated the Rangers do need 1 or 2 players that are capable and willing to stand up for their teammates plus the in general have the team play with more nastiness.

Last edited:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Well, its official. No playoffs this year. Congrats go to Plymouth and their impressive playoff streak. We look to finish off the season and head into the off-season with some roster changes.

For those complaining about our goaltending, I am less concerned about the goaltending and more concerned about the D. The quality of shots they face night after night if because of the D letting them skate on by or get pushed back right into our own goaltenders. The have to change the style of play on the backend and be more physical and stand their ground. If that happens, the goalies will have a better view of the shots coming in.

Now that left for the season is to find out our draft position, who will be left on the table (Chychrun, McLeod, Mascherin...) and hopefully MH can make some upgrades on the roster with the good core we already have in place.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Well, its official. No playoffs this year. Congrats go to Plymouth and their impressive playoff streak. We look to finish off the season and head into the off-season with some roster changes.

For those complaining about our goaltending, I am less concerned about the goaltending and more concerned about the D. The quality of shots they face night after night if because of the D letting them skate on by or get pushed back right into our own goaltenders. The have to change the style of play on the backend and be more physical and stand their ground. If that happens, the goalies will have a better view of the shots coming in.

Now that left for the season is to find out our draft position, who will be left on the table (Chychrun, McLeod, Mascherin...) and hopefully MH can make some upgrades on the roster with the good core we already have in place.

Good point on the D, Benched Guy. This has been an issue for a while. We need a couple of Dan Kelly's or Cody Sol's back there.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Good point on the D, Benched Guy. This has been an issue for a while. We need a couple of Dan Kelly's or Cody Sol's back there.

And the sooner the better!! Going into next year, I'd like to see, along with Iafrate, a big, solid OA d-man brought in. OA's this year comparable to what I'd like to see targeted for next year:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
And the sooner the better!! Going into next year, I'd like to see, along with Iafrate, a big, solid OA d-man brought in. OA's this year comparable to what I'd like to see targeted for next year:
since Erie will have 8 possible OA's next year Cory Genovese would look mighty fine in Ranger blue once again!

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I think it's also worth mentioning here that of Ranger regulars this year, while every skater is between -10 and -29, Sergeev is +5.

It's not a tell-all stat, but it's a tell-lots stat.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
1973281_10151930483276059_1271098520_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad