*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
For next year, it's obvious they have to address the goaltending. The team just has no confidence in their goalies right now and you can't go into another season like that.

They also need to sort out some of Smith's loyalty issues. For one, I like Meighan as a kid and he works very hard and is a good teammate. But let's face it, he is not a top-6 player on a good OHL team. Smith plays him like a #1 centre while he loses most key draws and simply gets out-muscled over and over.

Similarly, Schmidt should not be running a powerplay. I know his options are limited and it's good development time, but he's just not up to the task. He looks scared and panicky the entire time. How he got minutes over Iafrate all year is beyond me. Imagine if he and Sergeev traded nationalities? The Aud crowd would be merciless on him. He has some upside, but Smith has him in over his head.

The positives are that we could have two very solid lines next year. The key will be if Smith and Hiebert figure out who to cut ties with and who to bring in. The D is likely to be a bit thinner than the forwards, so keeping Sergeev over Kubalik makes more sense if you ask me. He's adjusting to the league better lately and is a year younger. And the impact guys who could possibly come are mostly forwards. (Assuming we don't get Chychrun).

For me, the ideal scenario sees a high import replace Kubalik, one or two previous picks report along with our 1st rounder. Meighan's minutes drastically reduced. And either Opilka reports or Lavigne steps up to take the #1 role. Bubble guys like Blasby, Cascagnette, Soper, etc. will all have to take big steps forward to make this team.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
If everyone returns (Marcantouni, Bailey, Pedersen) and is healthy, I dont see Meighan figuring in to the top 2 lines next year, maybe not even 3rd line as well. Robinson is going to have a hard time getting a spot in the top 2 lines as well. I see it as
Pedersen - Marcantouni - Bailey
Llewellyn - MacInnis - Magyar
then you have Robinson, Kohn, Davies, Meighan all fighting for 3rd line and if Kubalik stays you throw him into the mix. As well you will have our 1st round pick which most likely would be a forward, but I am hoping Chychrun will still be on the board. And if one of Mark Bzowey, Jake Henderson, Jeremy Bracco report you will definitely see roster moves for playing time. And thats a good thing as we should be able to package players together for upgrades elsewhere on the roster. Our strength going into the offseason will be forwards.

If we go into next year without making a move on D or in net we will be in trouble. I see the D being more of the problem and a more immediate concern.

Tim - do you see either Opilka or Lavigne reporting?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
OK...here's my locks of returning players for next years team:
Forwards:
Pedersen
Kohn
Robinson
Magyar
LLewellyn
Meighan*
MacInnis
Marcantuoni*
Davies
Bailey

Defence:
DiPerna
Blaisdell
Iafrate*
Hora
Sergeev

Goalies:

one of the present keepers will be traded and the other will battle
with either Lavigne or Opilka (but for either of those 2 report they will want some sort guarantee number of starts).

^ Even though those players will be invited to camp it doesn't mean that some of them will get moved in a trade.

Incoming Players:
Minimum 3 from the 14 OHL draft
Minimum 3 from the 13 draft (Scott Pedersen D, and hopefully Bracco and Henderson) IMHO Opilko G should stay with the USNDT for at 1 more season and get 50 starts. Charlie McAvoy would be nice also
1 from the Import draft!

I'm not going to mention by name the players who"ll won't be back IMHO and I'll let you figure it out!

All I know is that we need more than 32 goals combined from our last 4 1st round draft picks next season! (Average of 8 goals from your 1st rd picks...which has to be a record!)
Marcantuoni 13 g
Pedersen 14 g
Davies 5 g
Schmaltz (traded and zero goals on this yrs team from players coming back!)

The only overager* that I think we could really use next year is Iafrate...MM and CM are useful players but aren't difference makers!

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Benched Guy and Ward, I'd add to your posts, but I really can't. You both have summed it up very well.

And as for the goalie question, I am fairly certain that yes, you'll see one of them report. I could be wrong, but from everything I have seen and heard, the team has a line on something. And I'd be shocked if that was untrue. Never has a need been more clear for a GM than this. Failing to do something to upgrade there would be abject failure overall for Hiebert.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just like to point out Bzowey is signed by the Rangers I believe. Still a smallish type player like James Dietrich. Pederson in my opinion does not deserve top line minutes. He works hard but plays on the perimeter to much and with his size does not engage near enough for a third year player IMO. He is a -23 which is on the high side on the Rangers. Matia has improved here late in the season but as a first round pick in his fourth year has he shown enough to be considered an OA? I think Matia would probably like to move to the pros somewhere. Robinson uses his size put needs to show more also. I think before his injury he was starting to come around and it will take him a few games to get that back after being out so long. He is in his draft year now because of a late birthday. As Ward mentioned there are a couple of players that will be 19 year olds next season that have not put up any numbers at all on the stat sheet. Time for Hiebert to re-evaluate that issue one would think. I am sure that some decent rookies could post better numbers.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Just like to point out Bzowey is signed by the Rangers I believe. Still a smallish type player like James Dietrich. Pederson in my opinion does not deserve top line minutes. He works hard but plays on the perimeter to much and with his size does not engage near enough for a third year player IMO. He is a -23 which is on the high side on the Rangers. Matia has improved here late in the season but as a first round pick in his fourth year has he shown enough to be considered an OA? I think Matia would probably like to move to the pros somewhere. Robinson uses his size put needs to show more also. I think before his injury he was starting to come around and it will take him a few games to get that back after being out so long. He is in his draft year now because of a late birthday. As Ward mentioned there are a couple of players that will be 19 year olds next season that have not put up any numbers at all on the stat sheet. Time for Hiebert to re-evaluate that issue one would think. I am sure that some decent rookies could post better numbers.

Yes he is signed and in their plans going forward but with the current roster and limited ice time still leaves a ?? in reporting to me.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yes he is signed and in their plans going forward but with the current roster and limited ice time still leaves a ?? in reporting to me.

I see your point BenchedGuy. Bzowey has had some decent reviews by scouts. 16 points in 37 GP is not bad for 97 rookie in tier two. Probably put up more points here than a couple of our older guys that haven't produced.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I see your point BenchedGuy. Bzowey has had some decent reviews by scouts. 16 points in 37 GP is not bad for 97 rookie in tier two. Probably put up more points here than a couple of our older guys that haven't produced.

This is where it gets dicey. It's probably more productive to give a kid like Bzowey a shot instead of wasting valuable minutes on questionable vets like Meighan, but I don't see Smith and Hiebert coming to that conclusion.

For one, the only possible OAs at this point are Iafrate, Meighan and Marcantuoni, with MM quite possibly moving on. That leaves CM a spot almost by default. And very few teams cut down below the three OAs if they have the bodies available.

Aside from some leadership in terms of effort and practice habits, I don't see any value to CM stealing minutes. It's an opportunity cost situation.

On the younger players, 96's like Mense-Dietrich and Blasby will be hard-pressed to find a spot. A 97 like Cascagnette will likely have the inside track. Ditto for Bzowey. And Davies better have one hell of an off-season. He needs heavy work on skating and in the video room or by November next year his status with the team could be uncertain.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
And Davies better have one hell of an off-season. He needs heavy work on skating and in the video room or by November next year his status with the team could be uncertain.

What Davies really needs is a playmaking centre! Who was the last true making centre the Rangers had??

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
What Davies really needs is a playmaking centre! Who was the last true making centre the Rangers had??

I think Davies picked his game up lately. Playing on a line with Soper and Teskey two junior B players at best doesn't help a kid improve. Fans have to realize Hiebert played a huge part in all the players on the present and past rosters.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
We also have to remember that the 16-year-olds who look good in this league tend to be the very good skaters, which Davies is not.

Bigger bodies that aren't above-average skaters always take longer.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
We also have to remember that the 16-year-olds who look good in this league tend to be the very good skaters, which Davies is not.

Bigger bodies that aren't above-average skaters always take longer.

Tim, looking at Davies I think you are right. He is built like a tank and looks like a heavy skater. I think he will come along providing they put him with the right players. Just not enough skill on the Rangers right now to go around to balance the lines. Having one forward( Bailey) out seemed to diminish the teams ability to score. Personally I am nervous about the present management's abilities going into next season. Just talking to fans around us at games and most see talent in the young kids but have doubts about the team stepping up next season just because of what has taken place last year and this.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm on the fence too bobber. And this is why:

Positives:
- a lot of '96 and '97 born players with skill getting big minutes and improving a fair bit over the season (Magyar, MacInnis, Hora, etc.)
- a solid work ethic most nights
- mostly one and two goal losses and few blow-outs (many caused by goalies)
- some expiring assets moved for decent return

Negatives:
- a D corps that still doesn't like physicality and allows opposing forwards too many free passes to the net front
- a staff that is so caught up in diplomacy, community relations and loyalty to really see the issues with some of the weaker players
- some very curious in-game decisions that fail time and again yet get used time and again (like Schmidt on PP, Meighan on key face-offs, etc.)

Overall, there are more positives than I ever saw in the Spott era, but there are some really key and puzzling negatives. And every time I hear Smith interviewed post-loss and using the phrases "at the end of the day" and "we'll address it" I wonder if much has really changed.

I think the expectations for next year should be that anything south of 5th in the conference is a failure. Time for us to expect more again.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
- a staff that is so caught up in diplomacy, community relations and loyalty to really see the issues with some of the weaker players

That's the one that really burns my ass.
I don't care if the Rangers get out in the community week after week after week!
Once or twice a month max.!
I don't pay for season tickets to see team ambassadors!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
That's the one that really burns my ass.
I don't care if the Rangers get out in the community week after week after week!
Once or twice a month max.!
I don't pay for season tickets to see team ambassadors!

We won't get back to Deboer hockey unless the bring some grit into the program. Just like to see more in your face type hockey especially in the Aud. Some opposing players(Lorentz) love playing here. Ottawa loves the Aud also. I asked a father on my son's team years ago why his son always got into a fight when they were losing. He said he told him if you can't win a game at least win a fight. I like a scrap that gets the crowd going and not saying they should fight all the time but my point is teams should never be comfortable playing in the Aud.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
We won't get back to Deboer hockey unless the bring some grit into the program. Just like to see more in your face type hockey especially in the Aud. Some opposing players(Lorentz) love playing here. Ottawa loves the Aud also. I asked a father on my son's team years ago why his son always got into a fight when they were losing. He said he told him if you can't win a game at least win a fight. I like a scrap that gets the crowd going and not saying they should fight all the time but my point is teams should never be comfortable playing in the Aud.

And I believe this all relates to the community relations point. This team is so caught up with being good role models for young kids that it has become more important to them than winning games.

And no one can argue that being good role models isn't important, but hockey is a physical sport and if you don't have any teeth, it's hard to bite.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
And I believe this all relates to the community relations point. This team is so caught up with being good role models for young kids that it has become more important to them than winning games.

And no one can argue that being good role models isn't important, but hockey is a physical sport and if you don't have any teeth, it's hard to bite.

Exactly.....whats the catch phrase that we keep hearing?...."gotta play hockey the right way"?....aka: play soft and be good losers!

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Exactly.....whats the catch phrase that we keep hearing?...."gotta play hockey the right way"?....aka: play soft and be good losers!

Yep. Precisely.

And the irony is that being a loser is hardly being a good role model for the kids out there.

There's another saying that is more appropriate in Rangerland lately: "Nice guys finish last."

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I am agreeing with what is being said and want a tougher style of hockey. I want to see teams have earn 2 pts the hard way coming into the Aud. And our goalies would develop faster knowing the crease is going to be cleared night in night out instead of having to worry about players crashing the net. And I believe fighting is a part of the game at the right times.

I also see the importance of community relations and branding too though. Not to the extent on an almost daily basis that we are seeing currently. But you can have both, and I think the attempt was being made with the addition of Paxton Leroux. I know it didnt work out, but to me the jury is still out that mgmt is making the attempt for toughness and relations. From all I heard and read about Leroux at the deadline was that he was a nice guy off the ice and an agitator on the ice and a great fighter to boot. As long as mgmt keeps heading in that direction and have a good balance. IMO the thought was there to protect the youth in developing with his on ice presence.

Hopefully in the off-season we will see one or two hard-nose D be acquired and some of our current D step up in the crease a bit more.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Bench I thought the same thing regarding Leroux. Hiebert was on the right track on that trade. It just never worked out. He deserves credit for going after him.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

The Rangers have always been involved in the community - we just hear about it more now, due to social media. They've had players going to schools, grocery store appearances, etc. for years. I don't think that part of it is overdone, at all.

But I do agree with you guys on wanting a tougher brand of hockey in Kitchener. I don't care if there are fights so much, but be tough to play against. The last number of years, the Rangers have been easy to push around (for the most part) and hitting has been almost an afterthought.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Rangers have always been involved in the community - we just hear about it more now, due to social media. They've had players going to schools, grocery store appearances, etc. for years. I don't think that part of it is overdone, at all.

But I do agree with you guys on wanting a tougher brand of hockey in Kitchener. I don't care if there are fights so much, but be tough to play against. The last number of years, the Rangers have been easy to push around (for the most part) and hitting has been almost an afterthought.

Charlie I am not concerned with the community involvement. It's actually a good thing. It helps them to mature. I think some of the young guys hit more than we have seen in a while. In saying that they need to develop a culture here in Kitchener where opposing teams coming in realize they are going tor have to win a war to take two points back on the bus. Hiebert and Bienkowski talk about going in that direction. To do that they have to inject some character into the squad. Some fans didn't like Duco but I thought he was great. Young Kohn gets under the skin of opponents even fighting in the last game. Just not built like Duco was. Kid was a little tank. Players like that add an element to the games that gets the crowd into it. Right now it's a pipe dream.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
This is first year of a rebuild. after you traded all those players away last year to go for it. I would think things a where it should be. Next year you will be much strong and the year after stronger still. What is all this complaining.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think some of the young guys hit more than we have seen in a while. In saying that they need to develop a culture here in Kitchener where opposing teams coming in realize they are going tor have to win a war to take two points back on the bus. Hiebert and Bienkowski talk about going in that direction. To do that they have to inject some character into the squad. Some fans didn't like Duco but I thought he was great. Young Kohn gets under the skin of opponents even fighting in the last game. Just not built like Duco was. Kid was a little tank. Players like that add an element to the games that gets the crowd into it. Right now it's a pipe dream.

Exactly!!

During the DeBoer years, we were perennially 1st or 2nd in PIM's but it wasn't an issue because we always had one of the best PK's in the league as well. It didn't matter much if we took a minor for issuing some of the "push back" that is missing from our team since PD left.

We also had the type of players who made life miserable for the opponent. Along with Duco, guys like Matt Pepe, David Clarkson, Adam Keefe, Boris Valabik, and others were a huge part of our success. Geez! One of the 1st things DeBoer did upon arriving in Kitchener was acquire tough as nails, no nonsense Nick Policelli and put the "C" on his chest. That defined the type of team the Rangers would be under DeBoer's watch.

That quickly disappeared after he left. Hell, Mike Mascioli was a rugged player with much upside under DeBoer. The line of Mascioli/Timmins/Mashinter was a valuable piece for us during the '08 playoff run. (Remember, the only Ranger goal scored in the Memorial Cup final game was Mashinter from Mascioli).

It seemed like the minute PD left town, Mascioli's value to the team was in question. By the time Spott was finished with him, his career was pretty much done. That was the beginning of the transformation of the Rangers into one of the softest teams in the league. Kind of makes you wonder how Spott would have handled Adam Keefe if he was running the show back then. Or would he have ever picked up a player like Cory Konecny off the waiver wire as DeBoer did.

I often compare Henrik Sedin's reaction to being slapped around by Brad Marchand in the Stanley cup finals, where he refused to defend himself but rather looked to the ref to call a penalty to Steve Spott refusing to have the personnel to defend ourselves but rather whine to the refs for penalty calls game in and game out. It was embarrassing!!.

However, Hiebert's acquisition of Paxton Leroux was a pleasant surprise. It was a step in the right direction with regards to team toughness. Especially when you consider the division and conference we play in. Up against teams like Gue, OS, Lon, the Soo, Ply, Win, and the like, we regularly get pushed around.

Here's hoping Hiebert turns this team back into the type of teams that Deboer iced during his time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad