*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers deserve a shout out today. Out worked the Otters for maybe 55 minutes. They have beaten a few of the big dogs this year. Erie looked flustered in this one and took some dumb penalties out of spite. I think they thought the short staffed Rangers who had brought up a couple of B players would just roll over. No free meals in the OHL. Rangers tenders have played better of late along with the D. 16 year old Mason Kohn seem to get under the skin of a few Otter vets. 3 points back of the Whale for the last play off spot.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
This was a hell of a game. I am excited for the fact that our goal tending is finally taking shape. 3 games in 4 days and took 5-6 points. Can't ask for much more.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
The biggest difference I've noticed over the past few weeks is the defensive awareness of the forwards. I can't honestly remember the last odd man rush by an opposing team (note: I did not see yesterday's game, in case there was one there) - they're all backchecking and playing a much more responsible game.

Having said that, if you'd told me that they'd beat Erie without Bailey, Pederson, Robinson and Kubalik, I'd have laughed.

3 points out of a playoff spot -- things are looking a lot brighter than they were a few weeks ago.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The biggest difference I've noticed over the past few weeks is the defensive awareness of the forwards. I can't honestly remember the last odd man rush by an opposing team (note: I did not see yesterday's game, in case there was one there) - they're all backchecking and playing a much more responsible game.

Having said that, if you'd told me that they'd beat Erie without Bailey, Pederson, Robinson and Kubalik, I'd have laughed.

3 points out of a playoff spot -- things are looking a lot brighter than they were a few weeks ago.

CharlieGirl you are correct. They have played better defensively lately. I think the goalies have stepped up also. I think some of the young kids are starting to build up some confidence and are not quite as intimidated by opposing vets. Looks good going forward. Let's a little pressure off the coaching staff also. The Rangers play in the toughest division in the CHL. This experience has to have an over riding effect on the way this team will play next season. If you look at the Eastern conference a team like the Wolves in 2nd would be in seventh place in the west. It's a tough division and conference for a young squad.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If you look at the Eastern conference a team like the Wolves in 2nd would be in seventh place in the west. It's a tough division and conference for a young squad.

and the Wolves are in 2nd place playing a vast majority of their games against the weak Eastern Conference. Imagine what their (or other East teams) point totals be if they had to play in the Mid-West Division or even the West Conference? What do you think the Rangers or the Attacks points totals be if they could swap their 18+- games each against Erie, London and Guelph for games against some East teams?
Too be honest, I still wouldn't want the Rangers in another division!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Nice hard fought road win by the Rangers. Dekort comes through again. Meighan with two goals.

Really liking the goalkeeping of Greenfield and DeKort the last 1 1/2 months (except against Guelph). Which will cause Hiebert some
decisions to make this off season. Hoping they keep splitting the duties and raising each others stock!

Surprised that the Rangers pulled this one out considerinng the first Spits goal was kicked in and then the Rangers had one called back when 'Supers' stick on the replay showed it wasn't a high stick. I was shocked that the refs finally got that last illegal goal call by Windsor correct!

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
In a losing cause the Rangers outplayed the Attack by a wide margin last night with almost 50 shots on Rose. Having Bailey the leading scorer out of the line up hurts along with losing Iafrate. These types of games are frustrating to sit through when you run into a brick wall. On the bright side the team put in a hell of an effort which is great going forward with a young squad. Greenfield did his job and its nice to see an improvement in goal. Ottawa up next on Sunday and the big match up at home Tuesday against the Whale who they are trying to catch.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Iafrate was sorely missed in the last half of the game, both from a defensive standpoint and on the offensive side of the puck.

Sergeev is looking very good lately. I've always appreciated his ability to make a very good first pass out of the zone, and it looks like he just needs a little bit of confidence to become a very good player in this league. There were a few points in the game last night where it looked like he wanted to go for it, but held back.

All of the rookies are gaining invaluable experience with all the ice time they're getting, but the one kid I haven't heard much about is Blaisdell. He's been fantastic. So solid.

Plymouth's win last night makes the Rangers' chances of playoffs very slim, but they have a chance to gain some points this week. Here's hoping!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Sergeev is looking very good lately. I've always appreciated his ability to make a very good first pass out of the zone, and it looks like he just needs a little bit of confidence to become a very good player in this league. There were a few points in the game last night where it looked like he wanted to go for it, but held back.

Yes its good to see Sergeev get into the lineup for a string of games. His play has been very good lately but it's tough to get into a groove when you sit 2 of every three games.

Speaking of Sergeev, the Rangers have a decision to make between the end of the season and the import draft. They'll have to decide which one of Sergeev and Kubalik to keep on the roster.

If they miss the playoffs, they'll have a top 10 pick in the import draft. A pick that high almost certainly brings an elite talent. Since you aren't allowed to deal import picks anymore, the Rangers only options with the pick is to move/waive one of our current imports and use the pick or keep both players and pass on the pick.

Any management team worth their salt would never pass on a top ten import pick unless they already had a couple elite import players on the roster. Sergeev and Kubalik are not elite import players. Sergeev has had a tough time getting into the lineup most of the year and Kubalik was dealt away from a contending team. That doesn't happen if he's an elite import player.

So who do we keep? For me, I'd keep Sergeev. he's a year younger than Kubalik and I feel may have more upside. Sure, we're deep on defense but we're even deeper up front - especially at LW - Kubalik's position. Also, as a rookie import player, Sergeev cannot traded (I'm assuming he is still considered a rookie until after the next import draft) so he'd have to be waived. We'd get nothing for him. Kubalik on the other hand, can be traded and surely we can get at least something in return for him.

Also, moving Kubalik and using the pick would give us a guy who'll likely be here two years longer. Kubalik is a '95 birthdate while an incoming import player would likely be a '97 birthdate.

I just feel it's a better way to manage our assets moving forward. Kubalik will be gone for the 15-16 season when our nucleus is in it's final year. An elite '97 import pick will be a strong contributor to that team.

Thoughts?

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
To me, last night was the game we had to win to make a playoff push. With 8 games left and 7 points back it is a big uphill climb. I also think the Whalers have the easier schedule down the stretch.

Kitchener's remaining games:
Sat Mar 1 Kitchener @ Sault Ste. Marie
Tue Mar 4 Guelph @ Kitchener
Fri Mar 7 London @ Kitchener
Sat Mar 8 Kitchener @ Erie
Wed Mar 12 Kitchener @ Guelph
Thu Mar 13 Kitchener @ Sarnia
Fri Mar 14 Windsor @ Kitchener

Plymouths remaining games:
Fri Feb 28 Barrie @ Plymouth
Sat Mar 01 Windsor @ Plymouth
Wed Mar 05 Plymouth @ Erie
Thu Mar 06 Plymouth @ Niagara
Sun Mar 09 Saginaw @ Plymouth
Wed Mar 12 Plymouth @ Owen Sound
Fri Mar 14 Erie @ Plymouth
Sat Mar 15 Windsor @ Plymouth

Doesn't look good in closing ground. This past weekend with OS, OTT and Plymouth last night was where we needed to get those points.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
To me, last night was the game we had to win to make a playoff push. With 8 games left and 7 points back it is a big uphill climb. I also think the Whalers have the easier schedule down the stretch.

Doesn't look good in closing ground. This past weekend with OS, OTT and Plymouth last night was where we needed to get those points.

Exactly. It was going to be a longshot regardless of what happened this weekend, just based on the schedules (it's so great being in a division with 3 of the top 10 teams in the country, isn't it?), but losing on Sunday to Ottawa and last night to Plymouth pretty much sealed it.

While getting playoff experience would have been great for the rookies, it's not going to happen without a couple of miracles coming into play.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Exactly. It was going to be a longshot regardless of what happened this weekend, just based on the schedules (it's so great being in a division with 3 of the top 10 teams in the country, isn't it?), but losing on Sunday to Ottawa and last night to Plymouth pretty much sealed it.

While getting playoff experience would have been great for the rookies, it's not going to happen without a couple of miracles coming into play.

We play Erie hard but not so much for the rest of the contenders in the schedule remaining. While I agree playoff experience would be good for the rookies getting their feet wet but I am one of those that dont see them learning anything from getting blown out 4 games straight in the first round. If we couldnt catch the 7th seed, thats what I see would happen.

Going back to ES thoughts about the imports. I see the first option as being trading Kubalik + for an upgrade in the roster somewhere. I have no problem with Sergeev being the 5th or 6th guy and with him you either keep him or release him. Can't trade him until after the import draft and I am not a big fan of committing to an import for only one year unless they want a change. And realistically if Kubalik stays he could easily be on the 3rd line which I see as a waste. We could possibly have 7 skaters able to play on the first 2 lines next year depending on who is coming back. You have MacInnis, Magyar, Llewellyn, Robinson back for sure and any of Bailey, Pedersen, and Marcantouni could/should be back for next year on the top 2 lines.

With this high of an import pick, you have to make the pick. With a roster spot not available currently, you have to make one. I like Kubalik and his game (dont like the game of Sergeev that much) but thats what I would like to see.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
We play Erie hard but not so much for the rest of the contenders in the schedule remaining. While I agree playoff experience would be good for the rookies getting their feet wet but I am one of those that dont see them learning anything from getting blown out 4 games straight in the first round. If we couldnt catch the 7th seed, thats what I see would happen.

Going back to ES thoughts about the imports. I see the first option as being trading Kubalik + for an upgrade in the roster somewhere. I have no problem with Sergeev being the 5th or 6th guy and with him you either keep him or release him. Can't trade him until after the import draft and I am not a big fan of committing to an import for only one year unless they want a change. And realistically if Kubalik stays he could easily be on the 3rd line which I see as a waste. We could possibly have 7 skaters able to play on the first 2 lines next year depending on who is coming back. You have MacInnis, Magyar, Llewellyn, Robinson back for sure and any of Bailey, Pedersen, and Marcantouni could/should be back for next year on the top 2 lines.

With this high of an import pick, you have to make the pick. With a roster spot not available currently, you have to make one. I like Kubalik and his game (dont like the game of Sergeev that much) but thats what I would like to see.

If you ask me Both Bailey and Pedersen will both be back next year 100% as neither are ready to make the next step and neither can play in the AHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see Marcantouni back either.

As for the Import, I would think that keeping both of them is very much an option. But I would think Kubalik is on his way out if they decide to use the pick considering you cant trade the Import draft picks anymore.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Is your opinion formed from the 1st half of the season? Because IMHO Sergeev has been impressive since being installed
in the line-up on a regular basis and I would have as perhaps the 2nd best Ranger defenceman in that time frame.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Is your opinion formed from the 1st half of the season? Because IMHO Sergeev has been impressive since being installed
in the line-up on a regular basis and I would have as perhaps the 2nd best Ranger defenceman in that time frame.

My opinion is from the season as a whole. I will admit his play has picked up as of late but there is alot lacking in his game from what I see. I think Di Perna turns the puck over more but Sergeev is right behind him. He seems to make decisions slower and gets caught by the forecheck. I see the defense being the weak part of the team and that was apparent the last few games with the loss of Iafrate. Sergeev has the vision and I see him being able to carry the puck but he seems a little slow decision wise when it comes to the d-zone coverage. And one nitpick, can he please stop with the tap-tap-tap in the offensive zone, every time he is open he calls for the puck. Next year, I still take Iafrate, Hora, Blaisdell and DiPerna over Sergeev if they all develop the same rate over the summer (in that order).

As for mention of not using the pick and keeping our imports, when you have a pick this high and you can not trade the pick, you have to use it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I agree with Ward about Sergeev. This guy uses his stick and body on opponents around the Rangers net. This is something that the team has lacked for years. He just needs more ice. At the moment I think Hora has the most upside of all our D. Iafrate carries the puck well but has never been a real plus player although I love the way he played this year. I notice Sergeev banging his stick which can be annoying but if he is open shouldn't the forwards see that and make a pass? Overall going forward I find the Rangers have to toughen up on the back end or they will be rebuilding for years.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I agree with Ward about Sergeev. This guy uses his stick and body on opponents around the Rangers net. This is something that the team has lacked for years. He just needs more ice. At the moment I think Hora has the most upside of all our D. Iafrate carries the puck well but has never been a real plus player although I love the way he played this year. I notice Sergeev banging his stick which can be annoying but if he is open shouldn't the forwards see that and make a pass? Overall going forward I find the Rangers have to toughen up on the back end or they will be rebuilding for years.

Not to dwell on it, but if you are at the OHL level you should have the vision on the ice to see your team mates on a fairly regular basis. Banging on the stick should not (have to) be a part of your repertoire.

I am hoping that there is roster improvements on the backend in the off season. We need crease clearing shutdown that can make that first pass like we did years back like with Sol and Kelly.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not to dwell on it, but if you are at the OHL level you should have the vision on the ice to see your team mates on a fairly regular basis. Banging on the stick should not (have to) be a part of your repertoire.

I am hoping that there is roster improvements on the backend in the off season. We need crease clearing shutdown that can make that first pass like we did years back like with Sol and Kelly.

Bench ,Sol and Kelly should be prototypes of what the Rangers need. I like size back there that punishes forwards. I hope we start to see that with Van Ryan on board. I really thought we would have seen more by now. Smith and Hiebert have two years to prove they are the right guys here. There are a lot of issues that have to be addressed yet for this team to contend IMO.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Bench ,Sol and Kelly should be prototypes of what the Rangers need. I like size back there that punishes forwards. I hope we start to see that with Van Ryan on board. I really thought we would have seen more by now. Smith and Hiebert have two years to prove they are the right guys here. There are a lot of issues that have to be addressed yet for this team to contend IMO.

I also agree that we need d-men of this mold. A couple guys on our roster could fill the bill in this respect going forward. I see Hora and Sergeev eventually providing the grit and sandpaper in front of our goal. You may not see them drop the gloves much (one fight each this year I think) but they have the size and have demonstrated enough sandpaper to get it done.

Going into next year, providing we have Iafrate back as an OA, we only lose Fanelli to graduation. But that means we'll have no '95 aged d-men but four '96 aged. I'd like to see us pick up a '95 d-man who possibly returns as an OA the following year in favor of one of our '96's.

Dylan Di Perna was a 2nd round pick in this league and should hold enough value on the trade market to get us a damn good '95. If we were successful in getting that sort of deal done, we'd look pretty good going into next year - a year where I'd expect us to finish 3rd - 4th in the west conference. (I picked DiPerna because I like Hora too much and Sergeev and Schmidt don't have the market value).

While I'm at it, as OA's, Iafrate, Meighan and Marcantuoni are our guys provided they all return. If both MM and Meighan come back, I feel we need to either permanently move one of them to the wing or move one of them out for an OA winger. This has to be done to get MacInnis front line minutes and Kohn centering the 3rd line at least.

Now that we're pretty much out of the playoff picture, the next dates to circle on the calendar are the OHL draft and the import draft. We should get ringers with a top 4 OHL pick and a top 10 import pick.

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I also agree that we need d-men of this mold. A couple guys on our roster could fill the bill in this respect going forward. I see Hora and Sergeev eventually providing the grit and sandpaper in front of our goal. You may not see them drop the gloves much (one fight each this year I think) but they have the size and have demonstrated enough sandpaper to get it done.

Going into next year, providing we have Iafrate back as an OA, we only lose Fanelli to graduation. But that means we'll have no '95 aged d-men but four '96 aged. I'd like to see us pick up a '95 d-man who possibly returns as an OA the following year in favor of one of our '96's.

Dylan Di Perna was a 2nd round pick in this league and should hold enough value on the trade market to get us a damn good '95. If we were successful in getting that sort of deal done, we'd look pretty good going into next year - a year where I'd expect us to finish 3rd - 4th in the west conference. (I picked DiPerna because I like Hora too much and Sergeev and Schmidt don't have the market value).

While I'm at it, as OA's, Iafrate, Meighan and Marcantuoni are our guys provided they all return. If both MM and Meighan come back, I feel we need to either permanently move one of them to the wing or move one of them out for an OA winger. This has to be done to get MacInnis front line minutes and Kohn centering the 3rd line at least.

Now that we're pretty much out of the playoff picture, the next dates to circle on the calendar are the OHL draft and the import draft. We should get ringers with a top 4 OHL pick and a top 10 import pick.

Don't disagree with too much of that and what I do disagree with is just quabbling over very minor stuff! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad