OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
he`s a toolbox

Got in a surprise round here in Kelowna yesterday. Used rentals, set of Cobra clubs, not bad but man o man do you ever start to appreciate your own sticks when you don`t have them. How`s this for a start, double, double, triple, triple?

Said to myself standing on the 5th tee, "forget about the score, just be grateful to be out." Played some very nice golf after that and finished the next 14 holes in +4 to finish with an 85. Can`t complain, been a few weeks off the course and unfamiliar sticks and a new course. I`ll finally land in Victoria BC next Wednesday, can`t wait to start playing again consistently
I remember the old Cobra drivers that sounded like someone rang a church bell when you hit the ball.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I loved the Cobra driver, my buddy had one, it sounded funny but man was I long with it.

Also ODATT, Vancouver Island is awaiting your arrival with almost year round golf.
Victoria usually gets about 13 inches a year for snow.

Played Storey Creek this past week again with an 84, not to shabby I will be back in the 70's in no time.
Storey Creek

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I absolutely love my F7 driver. Best purchase I've made golf wise...

Gotta get me some new Irons, my Nike Slingshots are starting to die out.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hey ODATT did you play Whitewater?

Sorry I should have been clearer, we got into Thunder Bay early evening then off the next day so I didn`t play there. We landed in Kelwona Tuesday and are leaving Sunday so the bride said I should get out and play a round here which I did at a course called Shannon Lake.

Some beautiful views, a course with some forgiveness to it but also a course who, if you approach each hole with the attitude that it`s short so it`s easy will quickly bury you.

Was paired up with two guys my age who were both born and raised in Ottawa (my home town) who are now living here, all of us in the Restaurant biz so lots in common and they were the exact opposite of being serious on the course which is good with the start I had as it was laughable

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I loved the Cobra driver, my buddy had one, it sounded funny but man was I long with it.

Also ODATT, Vancouver Island is awaiting your arrival with almost year round golf.
Victoria usually gets about 13 inches a year for snow.

Played Storey Creek this past week again with an 84, not to shabby I will be back in the 70's in no time.
Storey Creek
sweeeeeeeeeeeeet, we are off to Gibson`s tomorrow and I`m going to sneak a round in on Monday at Blue Ocean Golf Course or at Sunshine Coast Golf and CC, more rentals on the horizon:)

Just grateful I`m able to get out and play a bit before our official arrival in Victoria (or Sooke to be more specific), should be there Wednesday.

Didn`t mind the Cobra irons but the driver/3 wood were not suiting my eyes, got used to them a bit as time wore on but if I were out looking for clubs, those wouldn`t be the one`s I`d pick.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
@ODAAT

I hope you see this. I grew up on the Sunshine Coast. Play the course in Roberts Creek (Sunshine Coast G&CC). Blue Ocean is fine if you have a 2nd day to play, but "The Creek" is much nicer.

EDIT: The greens at the Roberts Creek course are sneaky tough. if it looks flat it's still going to break pretty hard to the ocean. and on #11 it can be almost impossible to play enough break. Guys sometimes putt at almost 90° from the hole to the high side and let it do a big parabolic loop back to the hole.

Last edited:

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Sorry I should have been clearer, we got into Thunder Bay early evening then off the next day so I didn`t play there. We landed in Kelwona Tuesday and are leaving Sunday so the bride said I should get out and play a round here which I did at a course called Shannon Lake.

Some beautiful views, a course with some forgiveness to it but also a course who, if you approach each hole with the attitude that it`s short so it`s easy will quickly bury you.

Was paired up with two guys my age who were both born and raised in Ottawa (my home town) who are now living here, all of us in the Restaurant biz so lots in common and they were the exact opposite of being serious on the course which is good with the start I had as it was laughable
If you are ever in Thunder Bay for an extended period, play Whitewater. Its one great course.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
I would do a lot of things im not proud of to the person who can cure my snap hooks..... with everything..... 12 handicap and have never hooked or drew a ball in my life . usually just a straight ball hitter. im now mentally exhausted trying so many things to correct it, been a tough summer of golf for me.. i did, however, improve my scrambling game from horrible lies and crazy shot angles !

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I would do a lot of things im not proud of to the person who can cure my snap hooks..... with everything..... 12 handicap and have never hooked or drew a ball in my life . usually just a straight ball hitter. im now mentally exhausted trying so many things to correct it, been a tough summer of golf for me.. i did, however, improve my scrambling game from horrible lies and crazy shot angles !

that's probably most of the problem now. focusing so much energy and thought to that 1 issue.

usually the harder you try to fix something, the worse it gets. sounds weird, but try not trying.

take a few weeks off from playing, clear the head, and when you get back out just concentrate on swinging easy and smooth. For me hitting the reset and concentrating on tempo cures things like this and puts my swing back in line.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
@ODAAT

I hope you see this. I grew up on the Sunshine Coast. Play the course in Roberts Creek (Sunshine Coast G&CC). Blue Ocean is fine if you have a 2nd day to play, but "The Creek" is much nicer.

EDIT: The greens at the Roberts Creek course are sneaky tough. if it looks flat it's still going to break pretty hard to the ocean. and on #11 it can be almost impossible to play enough break. Guys sometimes putt at almost 90° from the hole to the high side and let it do a big parabolic loop back to the hole.

Hey friend, wound up playing Sunshine Coast yesterday, really enjoyed myself, short but tough. As you mentioned, the greens are a great equalizer but I wound up putting very well. As much as I don`t like making excuses, the rentals I was given were putrid, so much so that I talked them down from $30 to 20. You know you aren`t getting beauties when they bring the sticks to you without head covers for the woods. The driver was an old Strata, the irons were old Armour`s.....anyways, I played with a cook from the kitchen who was a great help but you just can`t ignore the comfort of having your own clubs in your hands.

I played with some very nice clubs in Kelowna (Cobra`s) although the driver was offset which I found strange to play with. Played to an 86 yesterday with 3 doubles so not horrible. The course was in absolutely terrific shape and it`s challenging, especially for someone like myself who has now played 2 times in almost a month and with clubs unfamiliar to me. Regardless, loving life on the West coast already. Both me and the bride have job interviews Monday, gonna finally get to the Island tomorrow, playing Friday at Olympic View

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hey friend, wound up playing Sunshine Coast yesterday, really enjoyed myself, short but tough. As you mentioned, the greens are a great equalizer but I wound up putting very well. As much as I don`t like making excuses, the rentals I was given were putrid, so much so that I talked them down from $30 to 20. You know you aren`t getting beauties when they bring the sticks to you without head covers for the woods. The driver was an old Strata, the irons were old Armour`s.....anyways, I played with a cook from the kitchen who was a great help but you just can`t ignore the comfort of having your own clubs in your hands.

I played with some very nice clubs in Kelowna (Cobra`s) although the driver was offset which I found strange to play with. Played to an 86 yesterday with 3 doubles so not horrible. The course was in absolutely terrific shape and it`s challenging, especially for someone like myself who has now played 2 times in almost a month and with clubs unfamiliar to me. Regardless, loving life on the West coast already. Both me and the bride have job interviews Monday, gonna finally get to the Island tomorrow, playing Friday at Olympic View

It is a tricky little track for sure. It was a 9 hole course originally,#1 and 11-18 are the old 9, with some changes. I still have to stop and think about what hole is what now, and it's been, i dunno 25 years since the expansion

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It is a tricky little track for sure. It was a 9 hole course originally,#1 and 11-18 are the old 9, with some changes. I still have to stop and think about what hole is what now, and it's been, i dunno 25 years since the expansion

It`s quirky for sure and sneaky tough. If you are one who looks at a scorecard prior to a round and focuses on the yardage of holes this one will bite ya.

Off to the Island today to end the journey, been on the road since August 18th, sure be nice to unpack a suitcase fully and call somewhere home. Playing tomorrow if all goes well and can`t wait especially to play with my own sticks of course though.....this eliminates my list of valid excuses for poor play:)

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
End of the season sale here and i just picked up new M1 Irons for $455 CAD. Pretty pumped on that...

Slight upgrade over my 10 year old Nike Slingshots, haha. Plus, I needed to upgrade before we head to Las Vegas in November for the MGA (Mediocre Golf Association Championships)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
End of the season sale here and i just picked up new M1 Irons for $455 CAD. Pretty pumped on that...

Slight upgrade over my 10 year old Nike Slingshots, haha.

nice, on the search for irons now myself as much as I love my clubs (Cleveland`s) but they too are older and the grooves, well, they don`t groove any longer unfortunately. I got them at a steal years ago, missing a 3 iron and used as a demo set initially, got them for just over $200, for 7-8 years of play, that`s pretty solid value.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Slight upgrade over my 10 year old Nike Slingshots, haha. Plus, I needed to upgrade before we head to Las Vegas in November for the MGA (Mediocre Golf Association Championships)
I play in Vegas in November too - with a group my college friend puts together. Great time to visit and play.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
It`s quirky for sure and sneaky tough. If you are one who looks at a scorecard prior to a round and focuses on the yardage of holes this one will bite ya.

Off to the Island today to end the journey, been on the road since August 18th, sure be nice to unpack a suitcase fully and call somewhere home. Playing tomorrow if all goes well and can`t wait especially to play with my own sticks of course though.....this eliminates my list of valid excuses for poor play:)
speaking of biting you, did you come across this particular hazard? The guy in the pics is my step-dad

13925842_1132734926798236_8147191442109801420_o.jpg

13679881_1132735043464891_6021936026231010185_o.jpg

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
nice, on the search for irons now myself as much as I love my clubs (Cleveland`s) but they too are older and the grooves, well, they don`t groove any longer unfortunately. I got them at a steal years ago, missing a 3 iron and used as a demo set initially, got them for just over $200, for 7-8 years of play, that`s pretty solid value.
i highly recommend srixon's z series.. which are basically present day clevelands. im cheap so i went with the older model z545. kind of wish i went with the combo set (z545/z745) but they are great clubs. dont get much press but they are a very underappreciated brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad