Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough - The Boston Globe

The thin ice on which Kuchar stood was that he and Ortiz cut a deal prior to the tournament. Ortiz was to get $3,000 for the week, bumped to $4,000 if Kuchar broke his 55-month drought and pocketed the win. When he topped the field, he rounded it up to $5,000, handed Ortiz the cash, and went off to celebrate his win.

The precise math here: It was $1.296 million for the win, less the $5,000 share, for what amounted to a 0.39 percent tip and a net of $1.291 million. Think of it in terms of a $50 bill at the Outback and a $0.20 tip for the server. Chances are, the hostess would drop you with a boomerang as you made for the exit, mate.

In the weeks since, Ortiz reportedly e-mailed Kuchar’s agent, requesting the $50,000 Kuchar finally did pony up by sunset on Friday. Until Friday, Kuchar only dug in even deeper, like that hacker tearing apart the bunker.

“I certainly don’t lose any sleep over this,” he said, words that ultimately made his apology hard to accept. “This is something I am quite happy with, and I was really happy for him to have a great week and make a good sum of money. Making $5,000 is a great week.”

Kuchar finally realized this would not go away. Without some financial act of contrition, the story would stick to him like nettles in the high grass, for his 8-10 more years hitting among the big boys, then presumably for another decades or so on the Senior Tour.

We can only assume Ortiz will be happy at $50k. It’s the figure he raised in the back and forth with Kuchar’s agent. Will it ameliorate the alcohol-fueled yahoos along the ropes now just waiting to load up on Kuchar? If you believe that, my friend, go have another.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
For all you golfers out there, Jeremy Jacobs is playing in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am. Who knew?

Behold the handicaps of all the celebrity golfers at Pebble Beach (We've got our eyes on you, Larry Fitzgerald) - Golf Digest

Gretzky, Bill Murray, Larry Fitzgerald, Larry the Cable Guy, Carlton Banks, and Tony Romo just to name a few.
Pretty sure Jeremy was in a Pro golf tourney a few years ago, and the armatures were paired with a pro, and played with them on the final day. His pro won the tourney, and he got to walk down 18 . Couldn't find it on youtube.
Don't think I am dreaming it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

good lord, what a shot, have the Rory/Tiger match on the laptop as I watch the B`s tilt here.

Played myself on Monday, had a nice 43 on the front nine with an ugly double on 9 then played awful on the back, not a huge shock, hadn`t played in a month or more but still great to get out, was more surprised how well I was hitting them on the front, think I went into immediate mindset of expectation for final score and it blew up in my face, finished only 2 shots worse on the back but it was a scramble fest every hole to put that score up

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is the major that gives me goose bumps.
me too, nothing comes close IMO. Not a fan of the British (just not a fan of links courses), love the US Open when they make it super tough for the players, love hearing them whine after facing, on most weekends, cookie cutter courses for these guys

Just played 9 myself, in the rain and shot a decent 42, Tiger playing spectacular so far and I could watch Adam Scott swing for hours on end

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad