OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Interesting question floating around twitter:

If you were Jim Furyk, would you use a Captain’s pick on Tiger Woods for this year’s Ryder Cup?

I say yes. He’s getting better and better each tournament he plays and I think he’s earned a shot.

Edit:

I’d put Tiger, Mickelson, Kuchar and Schauffele in the last 4spots.

Here is the leader board. Good god the Euro lineup looks rough.

2018 Team USA and Team Europe Rankings | 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National Paris, France | RyderCup.com

As well as he`s playing, his record at the Ryder has been anything but spectacular and that was often during times when his game was on point

Tiger Woods' Ryder Cup career record | RyderCup.com

That said, tough decision for Furyk

I`ve played with some incredible players while in Junior, we had a tournament in Ottawa where our club went up vs other clubs in the Junior Ryder Cup which I`m not sure is still going on. On that team, we had some players that were absolutely terrific match play competitors but ONLY in the individual portion of the tournament, pair them up in alternate shot, foursome golf and they just struggled to get their own rhythm going

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Great afternoon watching yesterday, some vintage Tiger moments but Koepka is is cold under pressure.

he sure is, truly stunned to see Woods playing as well as he is. Clearly needs to work on his control off the tee but his iron play is on point

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
As well as he`s playing, his record at the Ryder has been anything but spectacular and that was often during times when his game was on point

Tiger Woods' Ryder Cup career record | RyderCup.com

That said, tough decision for Furyk

I`ve played with some incredible players while in Junior, we had a tournament in Ottawa where our club went up vs other clubs in the Junior Ryder Cup which I`m not sure is still going on. On that team, we had some players that were absolutely terrific match play competitors but ONLY in the individual portion of the tournament, pair them up in alternate shot, foursome golf and they just struggled to get their own rhythm going
Tiger has gotten better in every tournament he has played in this year and is working right up the world rankings. I can't see how is not on the team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Tiger has gotten better in every tournament he has played in this year and is working right up the world rankings. I can't see how is not on the team.

I don`t think he gets left off either and as you stated correctly, he`s gotten better and better with each outing but for as truly amazing and dominant as he was for what? A 10 year stretch, his Ryder Cup play has been terribly inconsistent.

I`d like to see Tiger paired with a guy who is almost guaranteed to hit the fairway off the tee because from all I see, that is pretty much the area of his game I think that had he been consistent with yesterday, he would have caught and passed Koepka.

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
he sure is, truly stunned to see Woods playing as well as he is. Clearly needs to work on his control off the tee but his iron play is on point

He was saying his range session was so bad with the driver, was hitting it everywhere, that really messed with him during the round. Just had to pick a spot and hope.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He was saying his range session was so bad with the driver, was hitting it everywhere, that really messed with him during the round. Just had to pick a spot and hope.

wonder in hindsight, he still has the length, if maybe playing a 3 wood off the tee would have been wiser? Obviously would have sacrificed distance but at least he likely would have been hitting off the short grass

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
or that too, still pretty fun watching golf again on Sunday`s. Honestly have been pretty bored with the tour in recent years.
Me as well. Can you imagine the difference in ratings yesterday if Tiger wasn't in contention. The crowds following him was insane. I don't know how the majority even saw anything it was so deep.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Koepka might be the least talked about 3x major winner in history. The guy is playing unreal golf the last 2 years and cant buy a headline

It's going to be interesting to see how Tiger adjusts to his age and the advancement of golfers since his prime. He doesn't have that dominant distance advantage over the field anymore.

side note, took advantage of Rhode Island being the only one to still celebrate VJ Day and got a soaking wet round in. Was fun to go full attack without any worry...it was so wet out there everything was fly distance only. couldnt miss, went 36-37-73

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Me as well. Can you imagine the difference in ratings yesterday if Tiger wasn't in contention. The crowds following him was insane. I don't know how the majority even saw anything it was so deep.
totally, can`t imagine the cost of a ticket but man would you have to push and shove your way to get a great view

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Koepka might be the least talked about 3x major winner in history. The guy is playing unreal golf the last 2 years and cant buy a headline

It's going to be interesting to see how Tiger adjusts to his age and the advancement of golfers since his prime. He doesn't have that dominant distance advantage over the field anymore.

side note, took advantage of Rhode Island being the only one to still celebrate VJ Day and got a soaking wet round in. Was fun to go full attack without any worry...it was so wet out there everything was fly distance only. couldnt miss, went 36-37-73

I don`t think his distance advantage that he once had will be the issue. I think the most distinct difference between the kids on tour now are that they never really experienced the Tiger intimidation factor so they don`t necessarily fall prey to how once his name was at the top or near the top of the leaderboard they get paralyzed by his lurking like those in the past did.

A year ago, put me down as someone who thought we would never see a Tiger Woods win at a major, today, I would be more shocked if he didn`t win one next year if he stays healthy.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I don`t think his distance advantage that he once had will be the issue. I think the most distinct difference between the kids on tour now are that they never really experienced the Tiger intimidation factor so they don`t necessarily fall prey to how once his name was at the top or near the top of the leaderboard they get paralyzed by his lurking like those in the past did.

A year ago, put me down as someone who thought we would never see a Tiger Woods win at a major, today, I would be more shocked if he didn`t win one next year if he stays healthy.
I don't know that I'd be shocked if he didn't win one. There's a lot stronger competition than there was 15-18 years ago when he was winning every tournament going away. That said, I wouldn't be shocked at all if he DID win a major next year.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

maybe so, but at the same time they dont have the same fear about Tiger that used to exist. It's been 10 years since he was a force on tour, the young guns today dont know to be afraid of him.

Hell, look at Koepka yesterday. Tiger is making a late push, the roars are echoing, and Koepka calmly keeps throwing darts at the hole without flinching...dropping 2 straight birdies to shut the door

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
maybe so, but at the same time they dont have the same fear about Tiger that used to exist. It's been 10 years since he was a force on tour, the young guns today dont know to be afraid of him.

Hell, look at Koepka yesterday. Tiger is making a late push, the roars are echoing, and Koepka calmly keeps throwing darts at the hole without flinching...dropping 2 straight birdies to shut the door
precisely what I was saying. None of the young guns were standing alongside an in his prime Woods and don`t know what it used to be like

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
haha, whoops. not sure why i read your post as saying intimidation was what would help Tiger now.

no problemo, now, IF we start to see a resurgence or at least a bit of a return of the Tiger of old, if he starts to claim leads in tournies then shuts the door on everyone, those that weren`t around for his absolute dominance before "might" start to see/feel what those a few years ago felt and maybe, just maybe they may get a bit intimidated but he has to assert himself out there first IMO, show he can establish a lead then shut the door on those chasing him

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
:eek:

Golfer pleads not guilty to biting other golfer’s finger off - The Boston Globe

Menton told police that he and seven others were playing the ninth hole when Harkins’s father, John, arrived in his golf cart and complained they were playing too slowly and cheating during an ongoing tournament.

“Derek Harkins grabbed his wrist and pulled his hands down near his mouth, then bit into his finger,’’ Menton told police. “The noise created by Derek Harkins biting onto his finger sounded like ‘someone chewing on a Dorito.’ ”

Menton shouted in pain that his finger had been bitten.

“Daniel stated that he was able to get out of the pile, and pulled his golf glove off of his hand,” the report said. “When Daniel did this, he realized his finger was missing.”

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
:eek:

Golfer pleads not guilty to biting other golfer’s finger off - The Boston Globe

Menton told police that he and seven others were playing the ninth hole when Harkins’s father, John, arrived in his golf cart and complained they were playing too slowly and cheating during an ongoing tournament.

“Derek Harkins grabbed his wrist and pulled his hands down near his mouth, then bit into his finger,’’ Menton told police. “The noise created by Derek Harkins biting onto his finger sounded like ‘someone chewing on a Dorito.’ ”

Menton shouted in pain that his finger had been bitten.

“Daniel stated that he was able to get out of the pile, and pulled his golf glove off of his hand,” the report said. “When Daniel did this, he realized his finger was missing.”
A good amount of hackers go out for a reason to booze.

Oh and shot 40 38 78 yesterday

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Missing golf so much, I`m shocked at how many courses we have seen literally running along side of the Trans Canada Highway.

Heading to Thunder Bay today, hit em` straight friends

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What a dink.

he`s a toolbox

Got in a surprise round here in Kelowna yesterday. Used rentals, set of Cobra clubs, not bad but man o man do you ever start to appreciate your own sticks when you don`t have them. How`s this for a start, double, double, triple, triple?

Said to myself standing on the 5th tee, "forget about the score, just be grateful to be out." Played some very nice golf after that and finished the next 14 holes in +4 to finish with an 85. Can`t complain, been a few weeks off the course and unfamiliar sticks and a new course. I`ll finally land in Victoria BC next Wednesday, can`t wait to start playing again consistently

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad