OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Over the past years I have seen many references to Golf by many a poster here and have always thought, especially this time of year, that we should have a thread for all of us golfers. Be nice to hear about where others have played, what courses are like, handicaps, PGA, LPGA and so forth.

My first thoughts on the PGA tour this year is that it has been a complete snore. None of the big names competing and it has been some one hit wonder who wins every week. Woods coming back this week will help, just wonder if he is coming back to soon.

The LPGA I don't follow much but did watch Wie yesterday win her first major.

Me playing personally, this is my 4th year playing and love it more and more. I have gotten my handicap down to 15 and feel very proud of that. My best round was a few weeks ago at PineHills the Nicklaus course and shot an 82.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Over the past years I have seen many references to Golf by many a poster here and have always thought, especially this time of year, that we should have a thread for all of us golfers. Be nice to hear about where others have played, what courses are like, handicaps, PGA, LPGA and so forth.

My first thoughts on the PGA tour this year is that it has been a complete snore. None of the big names competing and it has been some one hit wonder who wins every week. Woods coming back this week will help, just wonder if he is coming back to soon.

Me playing personally, this is my 4th year playing and love it more and more. I have gotten my handicap down to 15 and feel very proud of that. My best round was a few weeks ago at PineHills the Nicklaus course and shot an 82.

Nice idea for a thread. I actually thought the Masters with Speith and Watson was really interesting. Kaymer lapping the field kind of took the fun out of the US Open though. This is a Ryder Cup year which is easily my favorite golf event though.

On a personal note, both of my rounds this year were at really nice courses (Ellington Ridge in CT, and Newport National), but they left me conflicted because I only started taking the game somewhat seriously last fall, and I'm terrible at it. So ongoing frustrations kind of get in the way of enjoying nice courses.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Nice idea for a thread. I actually thought the Masters with Speith and Watson was really interesting. Kaymer lapping the field kind of took the fun out of the US Open though. This is a Ryder Cup year which is easily my favorite golf event though.

On a personal note, both of my rounds this year were at really nice courses (Ellington Ridge in CT, and Newport National), but they left me conflicted because I only started taking the game somewhat seriously last fall, and I'm terrible at it. So ongoing frustrations kind of get in the way of enjoying nice courses.

It was once Speith put it in the water on the 13th hole. It was over after that.

I love the Ryder Cup as well. Watson should be a great captain.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If you start praising the International in this thread, I may be forced to reveal to everyone that you are in fact John Dennis...:naughty:

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I for one heavily endorse this thread, I have have been playing for years, but a couple kids got in the way so my handicap is about a 16 now but it was a 8.

Excited for Tiger to be back this week, but then he will not play until the British Open, which is July 17th to 20th.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I for one heavily endorse this thread, I have have been playing for years, but a couple kids got in the way so my handicap is about a 16 now but it was a 8.

Excited for Tiger to be back this week, but then he will not play until the British Open, which is July 17th to 20th.

That hasn't been set in stone yet.

Steinberg told Golf.com that Woods' schedule beyond the Quicken Loans National "is something we will assess on an ongoing basis."

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I'm in the same boat as you. Been playing since I was a kid, worked really hard to get my handicap into single digits, and then had children, so I never play anymore. Used to play 18 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday every week. Now if I play 2 rounds a season, I consider myself lucky. I play so infrequently, that I don't even bother keeping a handicap. :laugh:

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

Makes it more fun for me. Haven't been watching a ton. Played a lot when I was younger. There was a 6 year stretch where I was young and able to play 36 holes a day (june-august) at the course where I was a member. Was good for a stretch when I was about 20, had about a 5 handicap - living in St. Croix - playing Carambola golf course every Friday. Thought I might be able to make it on a lower tier tour if I really focused all of my energy on it.

Ripped my shoulder late that summer once I got back to NH, couldn't swing for a year. Ripped my opposite shoulder after about 8 rounds in. Was done for another year. Was never able to get my swing back no matter how much Ben Hogan I read. young, angry - filled with rage... gravitated towards other things.

I have contemplated buying a new set of irons - need something forgiving for a now slower swing speed. Do what the old timers (80's) do. 100 yard shot here, straight, 100 shot there, etc., 1 putt, done. Happy game. I just haven't made that transition yet.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Makes it more fun for me. Haven't been watching a ton. Played a lot when I was younger. There was a 6 year stretch where I was young and able to play 36 holes a day (june-august) at the course where I was a member. Was good for a stretch when I was about 20, had about a 5 handicap - living in St. Croix - playing Carambola golf course every Friday. Thought I might be able to make it on a lower tier tour if I really focused all of my energy on it.

Ripped my shoulder late that summer once I got back to NH, couldn't swing for a year. Ripped my opposite shoulder after about 8 rounds in. Was done for another year. Was never able to get my swing back no matter how much Ben Hogan I read. young, angry - filled with rage... gravitated towards other things.

I have contemplated buying a new set of irons - need something forgiving for a now slower swing speed. Do what the old timers (80's) do. 100 yard shot here, straight, 100 shot there, etc., 1 putt, done. Happy game. I just haven't made that transition yet.

The different flex in shafts can help you with that. Go to a PGA pro and get fitted.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I'm in the same boat as you. Been playing since I was a kid, worked really hard to get my handicap into single digits, and then had children, so I never play anymore. Used to play 18 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday every week. Now if I play 2 rounds a season, I consider myself lucky. I play so infrequently, that I don't even bother keeping a handicap. :laugh:

I attempted to start playing regularly since I had the baby. In related news, I'm a moron.

My sister got me lessons for Christmas, the instructor told me after lesson #2 not to worry about my driver for a while because my swing is too erratic. Unfortunately the feeling you get when you hit one on the screws is too good to give up on.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I attempted to start playing regularly since I had the baby. In related news, I'm a moron.

My sister got me lessons for Christmas, the instructor told me after lesson #2 not to worry about my driver for a while because my swing is too erratic. Unfortunately the feeling you get when you hit one on the screws is too good to give up on.

Yeah, you did that completely backwards...:laugh:

I golfed all the time up until I had the twins. Then I didn't play for over 2 years. I get out maybe twice a year now, and that's fine. I love it but it takes a lot of time, energy, and money to get my game where I want it to be.

And for the record, your instructor should shut up. The only reason I play is so I can hit the driver. No other club is nearly as fun, so swing freely and let it fly!

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Wie is one helluva golfa. Had some nice shorts on yesterday too. :naughty:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Yeah, you did that completely backwards...:laugh:

I golfed all the time up until I had the twins. Then I didn't play for over 2 years. I get out maybe twice a year now, and that's fine. I love it but it takes a lot of time, energy, and money to get my game where I want it to be.

I think for me it was always that I enjoyed other sports more. Between baseball/softball, hockey, and soccer my free time went to other things, and when I did play I was wretched, so I didn't enjoy it. Now the only other sport I play (my friends no longer play anything, playing with randoms isn't all that fun) is hockey and after someone decided to be Matt Cooke last Monday to avenge an interference that I had no part of, even that looses some of its luster.

I can't see myself ever doing nothing, though all bets are off once golfing leads to my wife being overrun by two childen, haha. So golf it is.

My audacious goal is to play Bandon Dunes in 2016 and be in the 80-90 range when I go. There's a better chance my clubs wind up floating somewhere off the Oregon coast.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Usually try to get out 5-10 times a year. Only been once so far. My problem has always been, and seemingly always will be my putting. My tee shots are usually great for the most part, my mid game is great, but putting sinks my round everytime.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Was this a PGA pro? Because that is a huge part of the game and I can't see one telling someone that.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Was this a PGA pro? Because that is a huge part of the game and I can't see one telling someone that.

I don't think he meant it as ever, I think he meant it as you have a limited amount of time available for practice/lessons, stick with what you can work with until you have a more repeatable swing. He is a PGA pro (2nd I've worked with) and much better than the first.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Favorite course(s)?
Least favorite course(s)?

If you're in NH - I really like Canterbury Woods. The new owners have done a good job.

Least favorite: Ragged Mountain - it's fallen to ****. It was a hard course, a thinkers course. Had to plan shots, random rocks, sand traps, - a tough one. But hasn't been maintained, Ragged is known more for skiing and they've taken a couple of holes and re-purposed them for ****ing snow tubing.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I'm a golfer and I do watch some golf. I like Tiger and will await his return.

We have a golfer from my province (Saskatchewan) making a name for himself. Graham Delaet (Pronounced De-let) is his name and I think he'll get his first win this year.

I've only golfed once this year (9 holes on a par 3 last week). Didn't play great but SO nice to be out.

I golfed last year in 3 different countries and that was pretty cool. Mexico in April, Canada in June (home country) and then USA in September at Rio Secco just south of Las Vegas in Henderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad