OT: Official Golf Thread II

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Apr 13, 2019.

1. OneManIsNoMan

OneManIsNoMan Registered User

Started to rebuild my swing this year because my old one was taking a toll on my body (very violent swing, but great distance lol) and not as accurate as I'd like. Anyways, first two rounds while rebuilding my swing I shot 57 and 56. Yesterday I played an early 9 with my buddies and shot a 49, which I was happy with for the 3 round of the year.

The mental approach is a different animal though. When I played in high school I was very much a get up and mash it type of player. Now this year I've started to sacrifice distance for accuracy, my thought process on my shot selection has to be different. I do still find at times I give in to the "masher mentality" and when I do it ends poorly.

2. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    This summer I was going through back issues and while I was never a "masher" I could be guilty at times of opening up the stance when I didn`t need to and try to crush the odd drive. This summer I was forced to really slow down and focus mostly on a nice, smooth and in control swing, been a nice change.

Finished yesterday with an 80 in round 2 of club championship which left me in 8th spot as many of those who played well on day 1 faltered yesterday. Won myself a nice prize for a 2 night stay at any Fairmont Resort.

3. WithOutPaperss

WithOutPaperss 633788

Rarely post in this thread but I always love a good golf discussion. My profile:

I am 26 years old and have played golf since close to 5 or 6 years old. After I turned 19 I stopped golfing as much since membership prices in my town jumped from $400 as a junior to $1000ish and I knew I wouldn't have the time to golf enough for it to be worth my while.

I have never broken 80 yet. I have been close and have posted even par on 9 holes, but always struggle on one of the 9s. My goal for this year was to finally break the 80 mark. Roughly one month of golf left and I have yet to do that with my top round of the year being 81. Putting and chipping have always been a strong suit. My tee shot has went in the last few years from my worst skill to easily my best. Iron play is my big weakness that needs improvement.

All of you golfers out there who have done it - what are some tips to breaking that 80 barrier? I know my personal problem is managing my mistakes - I'm prone to one blow up hole a round that usually torpedoes my chances at a 79. I think the mental aspect sometimes gets to me when I know a score in the 70s is possible as well and my whole game starts falling apart.

4. OneManIsNoMan

OneManIsNoMan Registered User

That's awesome. The biggest challenge I've had is with slowing down the tempo. What did you find helped you tempo wise?

5. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    Pain management was the key, I started to close the stance for one, having an open stance almost immediately puts me in the mindset of needing to hammer the ball and I slowed down my takeaway, chances are if I take the club back quickly, I`ll do the same coming through the ball which, if I were a pro wouldn`t be a bad thing I`m not so the slow back swing typically puts me in a spot to follow through with less force and I didn`t notice much of a difference in distance as my contact has been far more pure and the ball much straighter

OneManIsNoMan likes this.
  6. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    this may come off as sarcastic but it`s not trust me, play one hole at a time.

Dr Obvious statement there but not really, often I have found myself sitting in the fairway or on the green already planning my attack on the next hole (especially if I am posting a bogie or worse on the hole I`m playing). It absolutely kills me all the time so I focus on the hole I`m playing and don`t envision some magical run of pars I will need to go on in order to break 80

This year I have broken 80 the fewest times in decades but it`s more due to the difficulty of the track I play and some health issues that have not enabled me to play as often as I would like

Don`t score card watch is my advice and remember, most people would die to shoot in the 80`s

And my way of "managing mistakes" is this , I always ask myself does the risk outweigh the reward? Example, if I`m on a par 5 and about to hit my 2nd shot, is it worth it at all to hit my 3 wood or hybrid over say my 5 iron that would put me inside 150 yds and not in trouble? Or why stick with a club that I have to absolutely step on to get it to a certain distance where I know if I club up I can make a nice easy swing?

I also don`t try hero shots, try and push, turn, twist a ball around 12 trees

7. WithOutPaperss

WithOutPaperss 633788

I think you are spot on for me and I appreciate the advice, however obvious it should be!

Scorecard watching is something I do way too often and I know it kills me. I'll have 5 holes left knowing that I don't have to play unreal to break 80 and then will absolutely blow it since it gets in my head. I definitely start planning holes ahead too, I need to stay more in the moment.

I also find I have a lot of trouble swinging easy on iron shots. I have a generally 'easy' swing and I think this could be why. I find if my option is club down and swing hard or club up and swing easy I almost always hit the ball short while I swing easy.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm hoping within the next month I'll be posting about how I finally broke that 80 mark.

8. Jadfoe

Jadfoe Registered User

Ever play Fairmont Banff Springs? Its my home course.

9. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    no worries at all, one thing I have stopped doing is when I`m standing on the tee with my driver, I used to open my stance up more and while not taking a massive rip at it, it almost immediately puts me in the mindset of swinging harder which isn`t good.

Essentially I try to use the exact same swing on each shot with every club, same pace or tempo

10. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    That`s a rough home course to have to play:sarcasm: Meaning it`s bloody beautiful

Played it about a decade ago, my buddy worked for Fairmont (still does but in Chicago now) and I went up to visit him, we played it a few times, tough track, did NOT break 80

Donnie Shulzhoffer likes this.
  11. BigBadBruins7708

BigBadBruins7708 Registered User

Don't take this the wrong way because literally every golfer does this, even the pros.

Don't get sucked into overestimating your distance with a club or what shots you can make.

What I did was play shots ~5 yards longer than they are. That way I wasn't playing to the "limit" so to speak. So if I hit it a little thin or chunk it a bit I still had the extra oomph needed to make the green anyways.

Basically build in grace room so that you don't have to pure every shot to make a shot

12. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    Good post, I know, as an example that when I`m hitting the ball well, I can hit my PW about 150 but that has to be 100% pure. Now, while I`m a decent golfer, how often during the course of a round do I likely hit a ball pure? I`d wager about 25% tops but probably closer to the 15-20% range, doesn`t mean I`m scrambling all round but rarely do I hit a shot on the screws much more frequently than that.

So, when I`m standing 150 yds out with pin in the middle, despite me knowing I can get the ball there with a PW, I`ll often defer to my gap wedge which I can hit about 135 yds, yep, likely be short of the pin but do I want an uphill putt or downhill? IMO, it`s always more beneficial to be playing from below the hole

13. Jadfoe

Jadfoe Registered User

Lots of sand, I am not a good enough sand player :( I have only been a member so a few years, so I expect I'm improving at that by attrition, I have an 80 on the dot this year there, but no magic rounds in the 70's yet, got my first hole in on the second hole there this year though same day as game 6 of the SCF this year.

ODAAT likes this.
  14. Rubber Biscuit

Rubber Biscuit Registered User

I’ve been struggling for the past 6 or 7 rounds. Haven’t been able to make any sort of real good contact after crushing it for most of the summer. I’m thinking it’s mostly mental; haven’t really been focused and into it for a while.

But this morning I am dialed in and ready to battle this beast

C0FAA0BB-FA94-49C5-A7A0-510152B5C623.jpeg

15. Donnie Shulzhoffer

Donnie Shulzhoffer Rocket Surgery Sponsor

39 38 77

Putter was on fire

Flannelman and Rubber Biscuit like this.
  16. Rubber Biscuit

That was humbling. Shot a 109 :laugh:

What a course

17. Donnie Shulzhoffer

The sign says it all. :)

Rubber Biscuit likes this.
  18. Rubber Biscuit

It’s long and challenging even if you hit it straight. Forget it if you’re like me and can’t find the fairway.

I did finish strong with a par on 18 after I stopped being stubborn and went to my 3 wood off the tee

Most fun I’ve had shooting 109 for 5 hours

19. Flannelman

Flannelman Quiet, Gnashgab.

Haven’t been able to make it on for a week. Have been dealing w some wrist and elbow pain.

So it leaves me waiting for the big fall deals.

What clubs do you want to add to your bag?

Thinking maybe a new Sand\Lob wedge might be in order.

Have had my putter since ‘99 and I’m wondering if there is really any difference in that technology? Some of those ****ers go for big bucks.

20. Donnie Shulzhoffer

56 and 60 for me

Damn 60 always scares the crap out of me

21. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    love my 60, my 56 causes me fits. Haven`t played for a few weeks, doctor`s orders to relax the back a bit as my buddy coming up from Halifax and we are playing 4 days in a row, haven`t done that since I was a teenager

22. Sheppy

Sheppy Registered User

2nd hole Saturday afternoon in BC (445 yard par 4)

1st shot: Drive, left side of the fairway, probably 260-270.
    2nd shot: Shanked my approach shot into the trees on the right.
    3rd shot: Had to kill it on the ground because trees in BC aren't to be messed with, ended up in bunker just off the green.
    4th shot: Ugly out from the bunker, just on the green.
    5th shot: 40 foot putt for Bogey.

Never ever been that happy for a Bogey.

45 on the front, 42 on the back for an 87. I'll take that. Anything under 90 I'm good with.

23. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    hadn`t played in almost 3 weeks and it showed, 46 on the front then fired a 38 on the back, makes sense this crazy game

Donnie Shulzhoffer likes this.
  24. Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction Ference is my binky Sponsor

EMR Consultant
    Now that the mornings are cooler than 91 to start, I think I'll have to make a concerted effort to get back onto the course. Thinking Wigwam Red or Verrado Founders.

25. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    Finished my 4 rounds in 4 days marathon with my buddy visiting from Halifax. Haven`t played that much golf in decades and it showed finally yesterday, swing was tired, body sore, focus/attention not there but had a great time. 80/82/79 then gawd knows what yesterday as he and I just tossed the card overboard and decided to enjoy the day.

Found out that I`m a 2 round in two day guy max