OT: Official Golf Thread II

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Last year I was definitely feeling like you were - I was happy to be out once, maybe twice a week, but the improvement of my game was a very shallow slope when I can only go out that often. This year with covid, golfing more was a legitimate option and the difference in my game shows. Unfortunately next summer is likely to be another one where I'll be ecstatic to get out once in a while.

A side note, we play a game where if you 3 putt the other players get to take a club out of your bag. I was being stubborn with my driver, I had 3 poor tee shots out of 4. It took me 3 putting and another player taking my driver out of my bag for my stubborn ass to start hitting a 3 wood off the tee. I was +7 after 5 up to that point and ended up -2 through the next 6. Moral of the story - use my 3 wood more often off the tee. :laugh:
haha, I like that game, might have to adopt it myself, I had 4 three putts last round but totally unfamiliar with the greens and they were the most slippery greens I`ve played in a few years, really didn`t putt nearly as badly as it sounds but when uphill putts still roll 4-5 feet past the hole you know things are quick

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
another 80 yesterday, have my handicap down to 8.2 which I`m more than happy with, had one of those boring style of rounds where nothing terribly bad went wrong nor did I have any true bird opportunities, no birdies, 8 bogeys, 10 pars. 10 pars came by hitting 10 greens in reg but I only put one approach within 10 feet and missed the putt, really couldn`t give myself any legit bird chances but still happy with the round

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I only get out golfing about 8ish times a year. Some times a bit more, some times a bit less. Two years ago, my dad and I must've played 15-20 rounds. Last year, probably 5ish.

This year we've only been out 4 times, including today for my dad's birthday. (Sidenote: Early golf is awesome. We were first out today and got through 18 in 2 hours, 20 minutes.)

I've never broken 100. My contact is inconsistent, and I lose a fair amount of balls off the tee (tardy wrists). The lost balls REALLY hurt the score. And of course, with little to no practice, my short game has been awful. I still enjoy it, because I'll hit a few shots I'm happy with each round,

It's been better this year, despite how little I've played. My chipping is much, much better, and I've been making better contact, especially the last couple rounds.

Today I had my best score yet, a 102. I think I only lost 2 balls all day. I took it suuuuuuper easy off the tee, and though I lost some distance because of it, my timing was there for the most part.

I also nearly got a hole-in-one today! Short Par 3 (about 110) and I hit a perfect Pitching Wedge. Sadly, couldn't see the ball land and roll because of a hill just in front of the green...but based on the ball mark and where it ended up, it couldn't have missed by much. :) (I did make the birdie putt, haha).

Par3.jpg

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I only get out golfing about 8ish times a year. Some times a bit more, some times a bit less. Two years ago, my dad and I must've played 15-20 rounds. Last year, probably 5ish.

This year we've only been out 4 times, including today for my dad's birthday. (Sidenote: Early golf is awesome. We were first out today and got through 18 in 2 hours, 20 minutes.)

I've never broken 100. My contact is inconsistent, and I lose a fair amount of balls off the tee (tardy wrists). The lost balls REALLY hurt the score. And of course, with little to no practice, my short game has been awful. I still enjoy it, because I'll hit a few shots I'm happy with each round,

It's been better this year, despite how little I've played. My chipping is much, much better, and I've been making better contact, especially the last couple rounds.

Today I had my best score yet, a 102. I think I only lost 2 balls all day. I took it suuuuuuper easy off the tee, and though I lost some distance because of it, my timing was there for the most part.

I also nearly got a hole-in-one today! Short Par 3 (about 110) and I hit a perfect Pitching Wedge. Sadly, couldn't see the ball land and roll because of a hill just in front of the green...but based on the ball mark and where it ended up, it couldn't have missed by much. :) (I did make the birdie putt, haha).

View attachment 367993

nice shot and if this makes you feel better, the majority of golfers do not break 100. When I am in a group I haven`t played with, I would wager at 2 of them shoot 100+

As long as those who have a few more shots on their scorecards play ready golf and are enjoyable to play with, I`m good. I know some people simply can`t and won`t play with those who shoot what you do and I think it`s ridiculous.

One of the best lessons for me that I find I often receive when playing with golfers who perhaps won`t win a club championship anytime soon is they often approach golf like it`s suppose to be approached by amateurs and that is a chance to be outside, enjoy the scenery and have some laughs.

It`s a game, it`s meant to be fun. I shot a 79 last round and have been playing very sound golf over the last few weeks but even those rounds when I`m struggling, I don`t whine, toss clubs or have internal sulk fests like some I have been paired with.

We had a wacky group last week, I didn`t know anyone, one fella was a terrific golfer, shot 74 (+2 on my course) and the other two players were likely in or around 100 and you wouldn`t have known it by their great attitude, we all had a blast, the dude who shot 74 made a point saying it was/is so nice playing with players who are just happy to get a chance to get out and swing em`, helped him appreciate being able to do the same

Reactions: GabeTravels

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Absolutely. I just like playing. And I'm always playing ready golf. It's frustrating playing with those (or behind those) that don't.

I don't get super frustrated at the game. I may occasionally pound my driver in frustration, but it's rare and it's over and done with in 5 seconds.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
really lost steam down the stretch, if I posted par on the last 2 holes, would have shot 79 but doubled 17 with a horrendous tee shot and a poor approach to the green once I recovered from that drive, then a bit of a bad break on my tee shot on 18, rolled just behind literally the only tree that could impede a 2nd shot, all I could do was chip it sideways then go from there but overall, solid day with an 82

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Bought a 30 games membership at my local club this year. Played 29 times as of now. First time I played more than 10-15 games in 25 years.

Got my handicap to 3.9. Best score is 75 twice (which is a 2.2 score).

Had a blast playing with my 11y son this summer. He has improved immensely (3 games in 80s). His game is now 92-97. He even won 65$ winning his net class at the club championship with 94-95 tournament rules (all putts in).

Great golf summer.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Trying to get a few rounds in this week since we're seeing temperatures in the 20s. Went today and had a pretty poor front 9 - couldn't chip or putt very well and had some errant shots - but figured it out on the back 9 for a 38.

Probably going to start hitting a small bucket of balls to start rounds next year. Too many times where I start the round off unprepared this year only to post a great back 9 and leave myself wondering if only.

On a positive note I was absolutely pounding my driver with accuracy today. I was 5 yards short of 3 greens today when I normally have shots of at least 50+ yards on a good day on the same holes.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bought a 30 games membership at my local club this year. Played 29 times as of now. First time I played more than 10-15 games in 25 years.

Got my handicap to 3.9. Best score is 75 twice (which is a 2.2 score).

Had a blast playing with my 11y son this summer. He has improved immensely (3 games in 80s). His game is now 92-97. He even won 65$ winning his net class at the club championship with 94-95 tournament rules (all putts in).

Great golf summer.
:clap:

My handicap as of today is just a shade over 9 which I`m super happy about. I play weekly on a tough track, one that locals here often say is arguably one of the best tests on the island. It`s not a course where distance is king, it`s all about club discipline, hitting fairways and putting on this track.

Broken 80 a few times which is sweet, broke 80 at other courses but when I play elsewhere, I find the other courses to be far more forgiving. Most importantly though this summer is I`ve been having no back issues. I have been faithfully been doing about a half hour of stretches prior to playing and I don`t hit balls prior to my round usually. Haven`t had one day after a round where I`ve been experiencing any pain or discomfort

We still have loads of golf left here, it gets colder and that`s when this wimp puts the blades away but likely play until the end of November then hang em up until February

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Played arguably the best back nine in my life at Storey Creek one of the best courses on the island.

42 on the front and then caught fire on the back and pared it for a 78.

Birdied 10, bogeyed 12 and pared the rest.

Straight off the tee, putting was on fire, what a game.

Storey Creek
  • Voted #5 in Canada for Best Value Public Course by Score Golf 2017
  • Voted #1 in British Columbia for Best Value Public Course by Score Golf 2017
  • Ranked #50 Best Public Course in Canada by Score Golf 2017
  • Ranked #43 Best Public Course in Canada by Score Golf 2015
  • Voted #5 in Canada for Value by Score Golf 2015
  • One of BC’s 2015 Top 5 Hidden Gems as published by golfinbritishcolumbia.com

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Played arguably the best back nine in my life at Storey Creek one of the best courses on the island.

42 on the front and then caught fire on the back and pared it for a 78.

Birdied 10, bogeyed 12 and pared the rest.

Straight off the tee, putting was on fire, what a game.

Storey Creek
  • Voted #5 in Canada for Best Value Public Course by Score Golf 2017
  • Voted #1 in British Columbia for Best Value Public Course by Score Golf 2017
  • Ranked #50 Best Public Course in Canada by Score Golf 2017
  • Ranked #43 Best Public Course in Canada by Score Golf 2015
  • Voted #5 in Canada for Value by Score Golf 2015
  • One of BC’s 2015 Top 5 Hidden Gems as published by golfinbritishcolumbia.com
Great round and the course looks amazing too, I`ll play it next summer for sure

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Huzzah! We had some nice warm weather after 6 inches of snow pre-Halloween, so my dad and I got out one last time. Yay November Golf!

I did it y'all! Broke 100! Had a really good front 9, kind of lost it a bit on the back but it was good enough!

Screenshot_20201102-171806.png

Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Huzzah! We had some nice warm weather after 6 inches of snow pre-Halloween, so my dad and I got out one last time. Yay November Golf!

I did it y'all! Broke 100! Had a really good front 9, kind of lost it a bit on the back but it was good enough!

View attachment 375190
congrats friend, awesome to see. While we can play year around here I`ve been working with a dermatologist as we are struggling to find the right application for the horrific eczema on my hands which has prevented me from picking up the sticks for almost a month now, needless to say, when I do pick them up again, I`ll likely not be putting any shots 2 feet from the hole unless it`s on the 4th putt:)

Congrats again

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

View attachment 375190

Sweet!

I feel bad gloating given the snow there, but around here we're hitting prime playing time. It's finally cooled off into the 80s.

Also, I found I love desert golf. The ball flies so far here in the 2% humidity, throughout the bag I'm seeing an extra 10 yards of flight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad