OT: Official Golf Thread II

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Apr 13, 2019.

1. WithOutPaperss 633788

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Haven't posted for a while, was breaking 80 or golfing right on 80 for a while, before I had a stretch of two weeks where my driver (usually very consistent and straight) was spraying both directions. Finally figured it out yesterday though. Was +5 through 16 before it started getting so dark that you couldn't really read putts. Ended up at +8 80, but swung the club very well for the first time in weeks.

VanIsle and Rubber Biscuit like this.
  2. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    nice, I tend to take a bit of extra time off after some frustrating rounds and readjust my expectations. Sometimes I forget I`m a once a week player and for me to improve I typically need to be playing 2 times a week and with my schedule, it simply doesn`t happen

3. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    started off as I usually do, blasted a +6 on the front nine but could barely miss on the back and fired a +2 /38 for 79, actually drained a few 20+ footers which is also fun

WithOutPaperss likes this.
  4. WithOutPaperss 633788

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Wish I could drain even one 20 footer in a round, good round!

I went the past two days, I've really started to figure out my irons, didnt miss very many greens on both days. Ended up with 75 and 74 back to back. If I can keep improving my iron game (and lose less balls) I think I can start to consistently golf in the 70s.

5. LSCII Dark Cloud

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    sales
    Home Page:
    Took my girls to the driving range the other day for the first time. They really enjoyed it although it was a bit like herding cats for me. They're already all over me to go back, so hopefully my evil master plan to get at least one of them hooked on golf so I can go out and play with them works...

Jean_Jacket41 likes this.
  6. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    good lord, great scores, you likely don`t have many putts in the 20 foot range with those numbers.

I`m playing again today, just got a text from a buddy asking if I could play, we`ll see how it goes.

Last 2 rounds I pushed my ego to the side and played far more within myself. We have a very difficult hole, par 3, plays 203 yds but with wind in our face almost always, plays about 220/225, water protecting the front so I`ve stopped trying to hit the green in regulation, watching some of these older golfers play, they have it right, lay up in front of the water, chip it on, hope for one putt but be ok with walking off with a bogey, it`s that tough of a hole

7. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    nice, the golf course makes a safe and great babysitter too, my dad used to drop me off early in the morning and I`d play 2 rounds during the day before I had to bus tables in the dining room at the club at night. Now, not all courses allow junior to play anytime but mine did

LSCII likes this.
  8. LSCII Dark Cloud

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    sales
    Home Page:
    Yep. I learned when I was 11 or 12, and it was great fun and safe. We'd got on vacation to the lakes region of NH and the course we played there would let you go around as many times as you wanted for $13 bucks. So we'd play 36 holes a day. Looking back on it, it really was a great way to spend our summers since I wasn't a huge beach guy.

9. WithOutPaperss 633788

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000

I definitely have some 20 footers, I'm usually just happy with the 2 putt though, might have to start trying more to drain them though.

The bolded has been my biggest improvement from this year (low 80s and 70s) vs last year (mid 80s to 90s).

I'm a small guy so its tough to push the ego aside and try not to smash the drive to keep up with my partners or especially on par 3s when everyone takes out a 7 iron and Im using a 3 iron. This year I've embraced it, clubbed up more often and tried to swing more smoothly. My irons have improved immensely through this, best advice I've ever gotten was the bolded.

10. VanIsle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Same, dad was the treasurer at my childhood course, gave me $5 for a drink and a hot dog.

I had to take a couple weeks off, was just getting worse and worse, playing Glacier Greens tomorrow and Storey Creek on Monday to get back into the game. Plus the swimming here in the lakes and rivers was top drawer in the past couple weeks.

11. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    It`s the wisest approach for me, as the golf pro said at my lesson, EVERY swing should be the same as far as tempo goes and once I put a club in my hands that I have to "step on" to get it there I know from my experience, it changes my swing.

Shot 80 yesterday which I`m happy about, if I parred 18 would have been 79 but we haven`t received much in the way of rain and the roll I got off the tee shot was far more than I expected and wound up in the high grass/fescue, the only play I had to advance the ball was to knock it out about 20-30 yards and while I still gave myself about a 15 footer for par, I didn`t leave my approach in the best spot on the green to drain it.

Had a putt for eagle on the par 5 9th hole but made what turned out to be my worst putt of the day and wound up 3 putting for a par but other than that, hit the ball solid, had a double bogey but again this was due to where I left the ball on my approach, 3 tiered green pin on middle tier and I landed on top tier and as softly as I hit the first putt, simply no way to stop it on the 2nd tier unless you drained it which I didn`t

Either way, really happy with my game, played with a couple who have been RV`ing across the country from Nova Scotia and are almost at their final destination before flying back home and a real nice guy from Kelowna, really makes for a fun day when your playing with genuinely nice people who are just grateful to be out on the course and don`t act like they are all on tour

12. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    was on a good pace yesterday to crack 80 but faltered in the heat, spend Sunday on the beach for 5 hours and by the back nine, simply became exhausted

39/43 #ranouttasteam

13. DaveFromNB Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Entrepeneur
  14. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
  15. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    guessing this thread will move up the charts with the B`s knocked out?

Playing today, hit em` straight friends

16. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    hit em` relatively straight but bogeyed 18 for an 80, an ugly greenside chip did me in, overall, really happy with my game

Rubber Biscuit likes this.
  17. WithOutPaperss 633788

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Golf season is starting to die down for me here in Northwestern Ontario. I'm not one to typically golf when the weather starts to get to 13 and 14 degrees and lower (it's not quite there yet, probably end of September). I rediscovered my passion for golf this season and am very glad I did - was hoping to break 80 one single time this season and ended up doing it on a weekly basis. Here's hoping the weather stays good for a few more weeks, maybe I can beat my personal record before the snow starts falling here.

18. RoccoF14 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Commercial Real Estate
    80 (42-38) today. Glorious weather and I hit the ball well today. 50% GIR, which is a good day for me.

Put my drive in the water on 18 but still managed to par the hole....It was a Par 5 and I knocked a 7 iron to 2ft.

19. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    the beauty of living where I do (Vancouver Island) is I can play 365/year, the weather a bit sloppy come November with plenty of rain but the temp is, more or less, pretty mild to play in. That said, I usually hang em` up for a few months come December, just give myself a break. We zipped up Island to Parksville area this long weekend, played a short track. At first glance, it`s a simple and easy track but when someone in the pro shop takes the time to tell you to NOT get sucked into trap of bringing out the big stick to leave myself a short wedge into the green on par 4`s you know something is up

Played with 2 others who hadn`t played the course either, first hole, I didn`t listen to the advice, took out an unnecessary driver and found myself in rough a half foot deep and was able to advance it possibly 50 yards.

Ok buddy, I`ll put the driver in the bag, problem #2, EVERY green was undulating, no such thing as a flat put on this course and the greens were, by a mile, the quickest I`d played all year. Had 4 three putts on the front yet still shot 40, put the driver away on the back and fired 39

I can see why this course was selected to host the 2020 Canadian Men`s Senior (Covid Cancelled), impeccable shape but one of those courses that fools you if all your doing is looking at the scorecard and licking your chops seeing 340 yd par 4`s

Pheasant Glen Golf Resort | Qualicum Beach Golf Courses

VanIsle and WithOutPaperss like this.
  20. WithOutPaperss 633788

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    I really do envy the all year round golf in BC. The weather has dropped where I live in about a week from 20-25 degrees all the way down to 15-18 degrees with some pretty chilly wind. I'm going to try and get a few more rounds in this year before I likely move onto hockey season (if my league still plays).

That course looks very nice by the way and sounds even more challenging. I have the blessing yet curse of having a fairly consistent driver. The blessing comes in the fact that I most (60-70% of the time) rounds am able to keep the ball in the fairway and in play for all 18 holes, however the curse comes in the form of reluctance to put the big stick away when I'm hitting it bad or at courses that require more aim and less distance. I bet I'd have some troubles at that course as well, a 79 sounds very very good. :cheers:

21. VanIsle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    One of my favorites, it in essence is 2 different 9 hole courses, if you are in the thicket on the front nine don't even go looking for your ball, as it is impossible to find or hit out of that slop.

Going to play in 1 hour, with a high of 24c and pristine conditions life couldn't get any better.

22. Rubber Biscuit Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Haven't checked in here in a while but with the season wrapping up now's as good a time as any.

My goal this summer was to get down to a point where I could shoot 80 or better even when I was just playing average, and then on good days I could go really low. I'm happy to be able to say mission accomplished. I've been in the mid to upper 70s most of the summer and even managed to shoot 70(-1) twice. It was a good summer of golf.

23. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    jealous here, I`m past the days I think when I post mid 70`s, I tend to flirt with breaking 80 often and at Olympic View which is a very good challenge, at this stage my handicap is 9.4 which is solid so no complaints. Playing tomorrow again and have been very consistent over the last 3 rounds so hoping that continues

Congrats on the great season, we`ll have to set something up in 2021

24. ODAAT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Restaurant Biz
    my driver is accurate more often than not too but it`s taken me years to get to a point that I only bring it out when necessary. The course I play most on I don`t use the driver until I hit the 5th hole and even then it isn`t needed but it`s one of the only "let er` rip" holes where trouble really isn`t a concern off the tee. I then use it on 9, a downhill par 5 but don`t bring it out again until 18

My biggest challenge is I get out once a week and while that`s perfect for others, for me, to get better I typically need to play a touch more but still grateful to get out even once, I know most don`t have that luxury

25. WithOutPaperss 633788

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Last year I was definitely feeling like you were - I was happy to be out once, maybe twice a week, but the improvement of my game was a very shallow slope when I can only go out that often. This year with covid, golfing more was a legitimate option and the difference in my game shows. Unfortunately next summer is likely to be another one where I'll be ecstatic to get out once in a while.

A side note, we play a game where if you 3 putt the other players get to take a club out of your bag. I was being stubborn with my driver, I had 3 poor tee shots out of 4. It took me 3 putting and another player taking my driver out of my bag for my stubborn ass to start hitting a 3 wood off the tee. I was +7 after 5 up to that point and ended up -2 through the next 6. Moral of the story - use my 3 wood more often off the tee. :laugh: