GDT: WCQF | G3 | “Welcome to Holloway” | Oilers @ Kings | 4.26.24 | 8:30PM | Staples Center | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Right, you’re talking about a fringe , few posters, probably less than a dozen. Note even worth commenting on those. We all know who they are.

But the comments in here the last few days are suggesting anyone not on the Skinner, RNH, Kane, Perry, Foegkle, Holloway, McLeod, Bouchard, Nurse, Desharnais, Ceci, Kulak et al train are not to be welcome with their thoughts.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a discussion forum.

Well to be fair that is 12/20 players on the starting roster including our starting goalie, a guy that got 100 points last year and a defenseman that put up 82 points.

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Im so past making my point that he sucks, everyone should know it by now.

Im still replying to a post that blamed Drai with 2 mistakes on a goal against for a reason this team will never win. Oh and added in Mcdavid being a cause they wont ever win also. The most ridiculous thing I have ever read to be honest. How can I not reply?

I said stop the god dam puck and we win.

I feel like we've been on this circlejerk before.

He's better than the last guy --> He's great ---> Ok he's not perfect ---> He sucks, trade him ---> Oh we should've kept him (when he invariably succeeds somewhere else).

Only a few names come to mind.

Dubnyk, Gilbert, Eberle, Petry, Cogliano, Brodziak, etc. and that's just the DoD.

Maybe its time we realize that developing hockey players takes time. Especially goalies and defenders. Skinner really shouldn't be our starter, young goalies are always a rollercoaster ride. But that's who we have and as long as Nurse and Campbell's contracts are here that's what we're gonna get.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Well you boys ready for a night of oilers winning, Tyler getting drunk as hell and doing unnecessary splits in my blue gitch?!?!?!

LETS GO!!!
"You lose Carl Miller Doughty"
S_ierb-1237498211.gif

• Haha
Reactions: tardigrade81

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Imagine this team with Cujo or 06 Roli, probably would have 2 Cups by now.

Maybe? A goalie like Roloson would have a huge market in 2024. He'd likely cost 1st +++.

So I mean acquiring a goalie like that via TDL would likely mean no Ekholm. Which would probably be as equally detrimental to this team.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
The oilers should win this series…. Should. The kings are good but far from great. It will come down to self inflicted mistakes/ goaltending. Same two issues has been a constant with this core

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
I’ll speak for myself. My frustrations with the oilers and their best players is that I really do think they are the best team in the league. So it frustrates me to see them so wildly inconsistent game after game. This is a team that hasn’t put it together mentally. If they run up against a team that dominates them like Colorado a couple of years ago then I’ll say good effort boys. You really left it all on the table.

But I don’t think that’s the case with this team and a lot of pundits agree. The oilers are their own worst enemy. They fail to grasp and understand that you need to be dialed in every play. This team takes mental breaks. And it starts in net. They may have the heart of a champion. But they come prepared with maturity of a loser. They need their hand slapped to focus and wilt in high pressure situations.

They won the first game for once so that’s a good sign. Then they immediately came back with a poor mental game. This team is awesome when the foots oh the pedal. They have consistently shown they can’t bring a consistent game in the playoffs. That was a C game two f***ing games into the playoffs rested. Second game of the playoffs and they pitched a f***ing C game… I’m baffled.

Perfectly stated. I could understand if this group already had a Cup under their belt and phoned it in from time to time because of that but they play as if they have nothing to prove when they have everything to prove.

The Panthers have won 11 straight OT games and play every game like it's a game 7... they remind me of the late 90s Oilers when it comes to their work ethic and urgency. Wish this team had an ounce of that.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Maybe? A goalie like Roloson would have a huge market. He'd likely cost 1st +++.

So I mean acquiring a goalie like that via TDL would likely mean no Ekholm. Which would probably be as equally detrimental to this team.
He was basically a backup/tandem when he came to Edmonton, had played well in 2 rounds previously for the Wild and man was he good in the 06 run. He did cost a 1st rounder but man was it worth it until Bergeron decided to end his playoffs.

Yeah I'm drinking amd going down memory lane...this game starts too late!

Reactions: soothsayer

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Skinner is one of the worst playoff goalies consistently. This season and last. This news just in Skinner is playing for a pretty good team and doesn't have to face McDrai and company. The Oilers hardly give up anything, last game only 8 HDSC and Skinner sez hold my beer, I'm letting in 5 goals and getting lucky on a crossbar. Previous game he lets in 5 but one gets called back. Last game of season he gives up 5 or so as well. Lost count.
last year was his rookie season. is it really worth bring it up in everyone thread? and this year he has had 2 games. I mean come on, cut the poor kid some slack. He deserves another game before the axes come out don't you think?

If he loses this game like the game 2, you put Pickard in.

Reactions: RegDunlop

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
He was basically a backup/tandem when he came to Edmonton, had played well in 2 rounds previously for the Wild and man was he good in the 06 run. He did cost a 1st rounder but man was it worth it until Bergeron decided to end his playoffs.

Yeah I'm drinking amd going down memory lane...this game starts too late!

Yeah from what I remember though, he and Fernandez were like a 1A/1B situation in Minny.

The only comparable I can think of in 2024 is Ullmark/Swayman so if Boston went .500 they would be decently similar. So I guess if you can imagine a price that it would take to acquire Ullmark and maybe take 10-15% off that's probably what Roli would go for.

Reactions: soothsayer

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Late games get later. At least it's a Friday. Gave me a chance to watch rebel moon and now the pre-game, nuvks VS preds 3rd period.

Had a great day and I'm full of energy and excited for an Oilers win.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Yeah from what I remember though, he and Fernandez were like a 1A/1B situation in Minny.

The only comparable I can think of in 2024 is Ullmark/Swayman so if Boston went .500 they would be decently similar. So I guess if you can imagine a price that it would take to acquire Ullmark and maybe take 10-15% off that's probably what Roli would go for.
Yeah they had a nice tandem but Roli had a lot more to give. Hoping Rodrigue can get some games up here in the next 2 years, very intrigued by him.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
last year was his rookie season. is it really worth bring it up in everyone thread? and this year he has had 2 games. I mean come on, cut the poor kid some slack. He deserves another game before the axes come out don't you think?

If he loses this game like the game 2, you put Pickard in.
Skinner has stunk in 9/14 career playoff games. That isn't even good odds.

Reactions: McDrai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s a flawed stat.

A HDCA is graded the same whether it’s Kempe shooting or Trevor Lewis but obviously there’s a vast difference in the quality of the chance based on who’s shooting it which the stat can’t account for. Same as it can’t account for the situation, a cross crease tap in isn’t the same as a player driving to the net and chipping one into the goalies breadbasket but in the eyes of HDCA if it happened from roughly the same place on the ice then it’s equal even though we know one has a far greater chance of finding the back of the net then the other.
its a conspiracy!

jebus christ. Talbot is the one having to stone DRai, Mcd, Hyman, Booch, you know, some of the best producers/scorers on earth at their respective positions.

Who do you think is facing more dangerous shots more often. I'll wait for the answer.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Look I've probably been as hard on Skinner at times as many around here, but can we at least see what happens before we just keep going off on him. He was a rookie last year. He played fine in game 1 despite the sv% being weighed down by a bonehead Nurse self goal, an unlucky stick break and Ceci panic play, and another unlucky Bouchard skate. He was terrible on Wednesday, but again its 2 game sample on his Sophomore playoff sample. He should be on a very short leash and should be criticized if he shits the bed tonight, but you're almost coming off like you want him and the Oilers to fail just so you can say "I told you so".

Settle down and save the pitchforks for after the game if he lays another egg. If thats the case Pickard should start game 4.
You’ve articulated exactly how I feel about the situation.

Skinner is an average goalie who is very much a product of the team in front of him, when the team plays with that strong structure he puts up numbers in the top of the league, when they get leaky so does he. Sometimes he can bail out poor defensive play but more often he cant, that’s really what separates average goalies from the elite.

How the team plays is far more important then who’s in net, unless it’s one of those few elite goalies. There’s a reason teams like Boston can cycle through goalies with generally the same result, or Vegas for that matter.

If the Oilers play like gm 1 then Skinner will be fine. If they play like gm 2 then Pickard is probably starting gm 4.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Darcy Kuemper’s .902 playoff SV% is the lowest of any cup-winning goalie since Grant Fuhr’s .883 in 1988

There's a reason cups aren't won with sub 900 sv% because they are actually there to stop pucks.
In all fairness this current team can score just like the 88 oilers 😅😅😅

They should just start the next game at like 3 AM and really say f*** Oilers fans.
Just noticed Sunday is 8 fking 30 start time to on a fking sunday

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fair enough. I haven't read half the posts in this thread because 80% of the posts are just negativity on game 2 when this team is about to play a playoff game in just over an hour in a series they very much are still in the drivers seat in. This place is a cesspool lately.

No offence but what kind of fans sit here bickering about who sucks on the team an hour before the next game is about to start when the series is still very much undecided? If we were down 3-0 in the series then fine be toxic as f***, but this thread is pathetic. I think the mainboards might actually better than HFOil GDTs these days and thats pretty pathetic.
@GMofOilers called a 4-1 Win tonight.

Reactions: McFlyingV

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
You’ve articulated exactly how I feel about the situation.

Skinner is an average goalie who is very much a product of the team in front of him, when the team plays with that strong structure he puts up numbers in the top of the league, when they get leaky so does he. Sometimes he can bail out poor defensive play but more often he cant, that’s really what separates average goalies from the elite.

How the team plays is far more important then who’s in net, unless it’s one of those few elite goalies. There’s a reason teams like Boston can cycle through goalies with generally the same result, or Vegas for that matter.

If the Oilers play like gm 1 then Skinner will be fine. If they play like gm 2 then Pickard is probably starting gm 4.
He's a game manager. Akin to Brock Purdy. Doesn't mean he's not capable of making it far, but it won't be because he put the team on his back. He just needs to make the saves that he's supposed to, chip in with a couple ones that maybe he shouldn't have, and we'll be fine.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad