OT: Official Golf Thread II

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
So awesome that hes getting into it young- I started young as well and am glad I did. I'm not going to lie, I'm kinda rooting for him to get you. :laugh:

Me too. :laugh:

Had 41-39-80 on Saturday and 39-41-80 on Sunday. Played well, didn’t make any putts and zero birdie overall. Left many shots on golf course.

Played with my son on Saturday and he did very well with 47-47-94.

Reactions: ODAAT and NDiesel

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Had 41-39-80 on Saturday and 39-41-80 on Sunday. Played well, didn’t make any putts and zero birdie overall. Left many shots on golf course.

great scores for both of you in spite of no putts dropping

I`ll be on the course in 3 hrs, hoping something drops for me today

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018

That describes my putting game lately. Thankfully my iron game has been strong.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Well my good play continued this weekend. Reached my 2nd goal of the year (golf even or better for 9 holes) in tremendous fashion with a 33 (-3), and ended up the day at an even par 71 setting another personal best.

Playing a much harder course today though, hopefully I can break 80 at this course.
Ended up with a 78 that day, mostly posting because I am still shocked by the chip in I had for birdie from the edge of the bush line yesterday. Pretty much a 1 in 10,000 attempts type of shot - it was a short sided chip that I hacked out with a PW and it ended up dropping - but I can say for sure I don't think I have ever celebrated so hard for one shot before in my life :laugh:

Some rounds you just have to sit and appreciate how lucky you get.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Ended up with a 78 that day, mostly posting because I am still shocked by the chip in I had for birdie from the edge of the bush line yesterday. Pretty much a 1 in 10,000 attempts type of shot - it was a short sided chip that I hacked out with a PW and it ended up dropping - but I can say for sure I don't think I have ever celebrated so hard for one shot before in my life :laugh:

Some rounds you just have to sit and appreciate how lucky you get.
haha, nice, shot a season`s best 80 yesterday, a few mental errors along the way but really a ho-hum round, hit 10 greens in reg, parred every one of them, the 8 I missed, all bogies but was really happy with my game.

Was paired with a bunch of younger guys, real nice kids but they were there to party so after 9 I zipped up to the group ahead of us which had a few members I know reasonably well. While I don`t care if people drink on the course, I could see the back 9 was going to be a mess and I really didn`t care to spend 2 hours watching it while trying to focus on playing

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
haha, nice, shot a season`s best 80 yesterday, a few mental errors along the way but really a ho-hum round, hit 10 greens in reg, parred every one of them, the 8 I missed, all bogies but was really happy with my game.

Was paired with a bunch of younger guys, real nice kids but they were there to party so after 9 I zipped up to the group ahead of us which had a few members I know reasonably well. While I don`t care if people drink on the course, I could see the back 9 was going to be a mess and I really didn`t care to spend 2 hours watching it while trying to focus on playing
Sounds like a pretty solid round with minimal mistakes!

It definitely gets tough golfing with guys drinking heavily especially if you are there to golf, gets very distracting by the end of it. Now if you were joining in on the drinking, maybe it would be a bit different haha

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sounds like a pretty solid round with minimal mistakes!

It definitely gets tough golfing with guys drinking heavily especially if you are there to golf, gets very distracting by the end of it. Now if you were joining in on the drinking, maybe it would be a bit different haha
true, I have no issues with people enjoying some beverages on the course but these dudes were there to party first then golf.

My mistakes where more to do with club selection and wind so not too disappointed with that. Got in the rough a few times which on the course I play your almost guaranteed to be penalized by, Good round, super hot out too

Reactions: NDiesel

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
Went out last week with my wife and son; the boy shot a 41...I was significantly higher ( :help: )

When we were on the 8th hole, a guy behind us had snaphooked his drive out of his fairway, all the way across our fairway and into the far rough leaving him about a 125 yard downhill shot across our fairway. We let him play his shot, and he topped a wedge screaming about 2 feet off the ground, past his green, down another hill hitting a stone wall across the cart path.

His ball ricocheted about 20 feet in the air, bounced off the hill and rolled up onto the green about three feet from the cup...craziest thing I have ever seen on a golf course

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
37-38-74(+3) today to tie my personal best. I typically hit 45% of fairways and 32% of greens, today I hit 62% of fairways and 67% of greens. I was feeling great, especially off the tee. Was a good day.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
37-38-74(+3) today to tie my personal best. I typically hit 45% of fairways and 32% of greens, today I hit 62% of fairways and 67% of greens. I was feeling great, especially off the tee. Was a good day.
Fantastic round! :cheers:

Question: do you record those stats on your own, or do you use an app to do it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Fantastic round! :cheers:

Question: do you record those stats on your own, or do you use an app to do it?

Thanks!

I use Golfshot to record my stats. The app also tracks my unofficial handicap and has GPS to give me distance to the middle of the green. I've found the distances to be pretty accurate, too. Usually it's within a few yards of someone else's rangefinder or whatever's marked on the course.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Thanks!

I use Golfshot to record my stats. The app also tracks my unofficial handicap and has GPS to give me distance to the middle of the green. I've found the distances to be pretty accurate, too. Usually it's within a few yards of someone else's rangefinder or whatever's marked on the course.
Do you have to pay for them to track GIR and such? I use SwingU for GPS, putts per hole/GIR and my handicap, but for more in depth stats like GIR and FIR you have to get the premium. Just wondering if I should switch apps.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
That's amazing, I dont think I ever broke 90 til at least 14 or 15

I started playing at 14. He’s like the only young junior member at the club. Everyone knows him and tell him he’s a futur champion of the club.

No pressure kid! :laugh:

He played this week with Caroline Olivier, past Olympian at Lillehammer and Nagano. She’s the best female golfer at the club. At the 9th, their ball are next to each other at the edge of the green. She makes a sympatic challenge with him for closest of the pin. He chipped it in. :laugh:

Yesterday, he played with Alex Chiasson father. He found him very cool cause he bought him a Mars chocolate bar at the turn. I talked to him afterwards and told me Alex told him McDavid was on fire in scrimmage and sometimes double shifted with him+Neal.

Reactions: NDiesel

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Played in our best ball "league" last night, first time as I missed the first week. Came an inch from my second eagle of my life, chipped on and it ran up beautifully only to stop right before.

9 holes, our team ended up -4. Not too shabby!

We're all about 13-15 handicap's

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Played a few times since the last post, no amazing rounds or anything out of the ordinary, most in the high 70s low 80s. Felt the need to air my frustrations after posting an 80 with a quad bogey on number 17. What a way to end a round.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Played a few times since the last post, no amazing rounds or anything out of the ordinary, most in the high 70s low 80s. Felt the need to air my frustrations after posting an 80 with a quad bogey on number 17. What a way to end a round.
Still a good round, not the way anyone wants to finish but....

Playing a different course tomorrow with a work buddy, only played there once before, more shall be revealed, fun track, super fast greens which pose an issue for me so we`ll see what happens

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Finally broke 80, 39/39, with three 3 putts and 2 birds, course definitely not as tough as my home course but the greens are like glass and tough to read even with the help of long time members I played with.

Reactions: Flannelman

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Checked in yesterday to play, was told I was teamed up with one of the assistant pro`s and a few of his buddies, real nice guy and nice friend`s too, he asked without any pressure if I would like to try playing from the tips and I said sure just for the hell of it.

Definitely a different course from the tips, really only 3 holes where the yardage came into play but I parred 2 of the 3 of them but an interesting game nonetheless. Where typically I would be coming in with a wedge, was forced a few times to hit an 8 or 9 depending on the wind. The assistant pro also asked me if I minded if he mentioned something he was noticing in my chipping around the green where I struggled a touch and asked if it was ok for him to gimme a pointer which of course I didn`t turn down.

He got me to return to using my 7/8 iron to chip because I have never learned how to spin and stop the ball and so many of my chips simply weren`t getting to the hole. He also said another approach that works best for amateurs is the more chances I have to put the putter in my hands on the fringe or thereabouts that I should as a bad putt rarely winds up as bad as a poor chip

Shot 83, the assistant shot 1+ and his buddies not far behind but all 3 of them were totally great to play with, you never know sometimes when paired with players who only play the tips, while most are great, some can be pains in the asses
https://www.golfbc.com/resources/webcontent/olympic_view/ov_scorecard.pdf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad