OT: Official Golf Thread II

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Been playing the best golf of my life lately, after breaking 80 for the first time I have now done it three straight times at that same course going 77, 79 then 76 (new best).

My membership has two courses attached to it, unfortunately the other course is a bit harder and I went 83 and 86 (47-39 smh), but happy with both rounds in the end.

My putter has been awful lately though, 3 or 4 3 putts a round which is very unusual for me. Hopefully today at the harder course I can get some putts rolling in. My round tends to rely on how I play the first 5 holes as they are the toughest on the course, so here's hoping to a great start.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I use 2 golf apps that I really like (I have no affiliation with either). You guys may already know about them, but in case you don't, they are:

The Grint: FREE app that you can use as a GPS Yardage book, Scorecard, Stat Tracker and Handicap Manager. It even has a pretty cool feature to score your foursome and will give strokes on the appropriate holes if you input the correct handicaps. It has an extensive course database and its GPS yardages are within 5yds of my laser rangefinder. Only catch is you need cell reception and the GPS feature does suck battery life, but you can disable it and only turn it on and off when you need it. www.thegrint.com

My Golf Spy: Probably the best all around golf website out there. News, Guides, Tutorials, and most importantly Equipment Reviews. I NEVER buy anything golf related, until I check this site out first. Its that good. Their Golf Ball review is probably the most comprehensive and detailed thing I've ever seen written about golf balls, and last year they exposed a significant manufacturing issue with Callaway. MyGolfSpy - The World’s Most Extensive Golf Reviews

Thx, could have used both yesterday, while I finished with a respectable 84, still had two double bogies and they occurred on holes where I simply took the wrong stick out of the bag, one I flew the green and wound up in deep deep fescue, the other I clubbed too short, wound up in literally the only pot bunker on my course and I had to play the bunker shot backwards as I simply couldn`t get a stance aiming at the hole

I did however finally break the birdie-less streak and for me, in the most surprising way, dunked one from the bunker, finally also had some really good looks at other birds but they didn`t drop

Can`t be disappointed, I know there are some who can pick the sticks up once a month and still put up a great number, I`m not one, playing once a week and 84 on my track is really good

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Thx, could have used both yesterday, while I finished with a respectable 84, still had two double bogies and they occurred on holes where I simply took the wrong stick out of the bag, one I flew the green and wound up in deep deep fescue, the other I clubbed too short, wound up in literally the only pot bunker on my course and I had to play the bunker shot backwards as I simply couldn`t get a stance aiming at the hole

I did however finally break the birdie-less streak and for me, in the most surprising way, dunked one from the bunker, finally also had some really good looks at other birds but they didn`t drop

Can`t be disappointed, I know there are some who can pick the sticks up once a month and still put up a great number, I`m not one, playing once a week and 84 on my track is really good
LOL. If you get to play once a week, I'm jealous.

Anything more than 2 rounds per month is a good month for me. I've been hovering around 10-12 handicap for a couple years now. If I could play more, I know I could get that number into the single digits. Where the lack of playing really affects my score is in the short game. Lets just say that my short game is not where it should be (and I'm being kind).....

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.

ODATT, what is your favorite course in Vic, I have only played Bear Mountain, Gorge Vale and Cedar Hill.

One day I would like to play Highland Pacific, Cordova Bay or Olympic View.

beantown bullies

LOOOOOOCH
Jul 3, 2008
Boston
Played Wentworth Hills in Plainville today; shot an ugly 49 on the front but a nice 42 on the back. Course was in great shape tho, I didn’t get a chance to play it last year but I’ve always enjoyed that course.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
ODATT, what is your favorite course in Vic, I have only played Bear Mountain, Gorge Vale and Cedar Hill.

One day I would like to play Highland Pacific, Cordova Bay or Olympic View.
Olympic View is, by far the best challenge and bang for my buck , well, truth is I get a ridiculous deal there as a past employee who treated the pro shop team well and they have looked after me

Bear Mountain pisses me off, far too expensive, impeccable shape and a few holes with great views but I despise courses who reward only perfect shots

Really like Gorge Vale, not a massive challenge but fun track, Highland Pacific I like too, some quirky holes but real fun track and reasonable prices

Cordova Bay is, IMO, a very easy track but also an easy walking course in absolutely impeccable shape but back to Olympic View, I`ve seen the course eat up single digit handicappers. If you don`t or aren`t standing on #6 tee which is a 200+ yard par 3 with water and typically heavy wind in your face in good shape, you may be in for a long day

Key at OV is course management, I typically don`t take my driver out on the front other than #5 and 9 and even on 5 you don`t need one but it`s wide open so I do. Back 9 has one par 5 that is a 3 shot hole, never seen anyone come close to reaching the green in 2 and #18 is one of nicest finishing holes on the Island that I have played, seen only a few golfers reach it in 2 but it takes about a 230-240 yd carry over the rock pile on the left

If your out this way, zip me a PM and we`ll hit em

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
LOL. If you get to play once a week, I'm jealous.

Anything more than 2 rounds per month is a good month for me. I've been hovering around 10-12 handicap for a couple years now. If I could play more, I know I could get that number into the single digits. Where the lack of playing really affects my score is in the short game. Lets just say that my short game is not where it should be (and I'm being kind).....

ya see, it`s players like you that pi** me off:)

My son is the same, won`t pick the sticks up for weeks on end then post a sub 80 round, I wish I were the same

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
41-46 on Saturday for an 87, 44-47-91 on Tuesday, haha.

Just splurged and got one of the new Ping ZB3 putters. Expensive, but super nice.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
40-39 for my first sub 80s game of the year.

Was pipeing the ball straight off the tees all day long.

If I could of made some puts would have been even better.

Reactions: NDiesel

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
40-39 for my first sub 80s game of the year.

Was pipeing the ball straight off the tees all day long.

If I could of made some puts would have been even better.

sweet score, have to take another few days off, having some shoulder issues and don`t want to put strain on it, hoping to play next week but won`t be a 79 after 2 weeks off

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
39-39 78 yesterday.

First round under 80 this year.

Only hit 1 fairway... Made some putts and great iron play.

Was +2 after 13 but made 3 very bad drives on 14-15-16 playing behind/under trees and was +4 on those 3 holes. Closed with two pars.

My 11y son also had a great day with 48-48 96, tying his best round ever.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
39-39 78 yesterday.

Was +2 after 13 but made 3 very bad drives on 14-15-16 playing behind/under trees and was +4 on those 3 holes. Closed with two pars.

Well done, 1 fairly way and a sub 80s game, you probably hit your 2nd shots as good as you could.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Putting and chipping was absolutely on point this past weekend... my drive, however, was absolute donkey piss. Did 3 rounds on the weekend...

42-47-89
46-45-91
44-47-91

I'm definitely slowly improving my game. I'm being less greedy on Par 5's right now which is my downfall. I usually get a bit nervy and try to reach in two and i end up trying to kill my second shot and most times I end up just duffing it or clobbering it every direction but straight, haha.

My average score in 2018 was 98, 2019 was 95 and this summer so far has been 90. Slowly but surely. I think I'm around a 15 handicap right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCRO

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Finally broke 90 this year. It was my 5th round of the year and it is nice to get under the mark again with an 89. I carded that with an 8 on the 10th hole where I was 63 yards out with my approach.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
39-39 78 yesterday.

Very good score with so many fairways missed.

I've hovered at the 81 and 80 mark my last 3 rounds, it feels nice to get some consistent scoring. Been fighting my short game lately, but the one positive is I've lipped out a lot of putts lately, if I can get lucky hopefully a few more drop today. I've gotta also stop trying to hit 56 degree chips today, club just hasn't been working for me lately.

Side note: any suggestions on affordable blade putters? I've had my current putter for probably 14 years, but wanting to go back to the blade design.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Putting and chipping was absolutely on point this past weekend... my drive, however, was absolute donkey piss. Did 3 rounds on the weekend...

42-47-89
46-45-91
44-47-91

I'm definitely slowly improving my game. I'm being less greedy on Par 5's right now which is my downfall. I usually get a bit nervy and try to reach in two and i end up trying to kill my second shot and most times I end up just duffing it or clobbering it every direction but straight, haha.

My average score in 2018 was 98, 2019 was 95 and this summer so far has been 90. Slowly but surely. I think I'm around a 15 handicap right now.
The bold was my weekend in a nutshell.

Played three rounds on my week off last week (weather stunk). Think I need to step back and hit the driving range and reset. Started to develop some bad habits off the tee this past weekend. Short game was lights out though.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hadn`t played in a few weeks, had my first sub 40 for 9 holes going 42-39, hit only 4 greens in regulation, if not for some great chipping I would have been far worse off which was surprising as typically with time off between rounds, it`s the area of my game that struggles

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Threw down my most consistent, mistake free rounds of the year yesterday, 10 pars and 1 birdie on the day, unfortunately 2 double bogeys as well.

My chipping took its turn as completely useless on the day, luckily I started hitting most GIRs on the back 9. I don't think I have ever lipped out/left 2 inches short/burned the edge on my putts as much as I have in the past 2 weeks. Hopefully they start dropping soon.

Reactions: ODAAT

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Hadn`t played in a few weeks, had my first sub 40 for 9 holes going 42-39, hit only 4 greens in regulation, if not for some great chipping I would have been far worse off which was surprising as typically with time off between rounds, it`s the area of my game that struggles
Always exciting breaking 40 on 9. Gotta say I wish I could layoff for a few weeks and still golf an 81 when I come back. :laugh:

Reactions: Flannelman

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
2 Canadians leading the PGA Tour Workday Charity Open in Hadwin 1st and Taylor T-2.

Great year for the Northerners on the Tour this year.
Hope Hadwin keeps it up, he always seems to get so close but can never close it out.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Shot 84 today. 44-40. The back nine was crazy. Three birdies, a double and a triple bogey.

65% FIR, 40% GIR. If my short game was even mediocre, I would have easily broken 80..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad