OT: Official Golf Thread II

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
After almost breaking 80 I took a few steps back with a 93 and 89, but then came back down a bit with an 85. Need to improve iron play badly.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
After almost breaking 80 I took a few steps back with a 93 and 89, but then came back down a bit with an 85. Need to improve iron play badly.

experiencing some of the same issues myself, playing later today but haven`t swung a club for 2 weeks so I`m going in with 0 expectations

Reactions: NDiesel

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Started the day off with 3 pars but I knew the arse would fall out of her eventually as inactivity on the course for 2 weeks always finds it`s way into the game and it did but still played much better than anticipated. 42-42, still searching for that elusive first birdie of the year, made some great putts yesterday but no luck

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I golfed an 81 yesterday....two double bogeys killed my chance at breaking 80, but more importantly we ended up golfing until it was dark out and they pulled the pins which made the last 4 holes very tough. I'm still happy with my round, the first time all year that I didn't card anything worse than a double, had only one 3 putt and I only lost one ball on a poor iron shot.

I'm getting closer and closer to breaking 80, my whole game came together this round, hopefully I can get those few errors out of my game next time around.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
My game seems to have rounded back into form. My scores this month: 81, 94, 77, 85, 84, 80

I want to get to a point where I'm consistently scoring around 80 and a good day gets me down to 75. I'd also really like to finally shoot par or better this summer

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
Went out with my son earlier in the week for the first time this season and shot a 49 for 9 holes, which is about 7 or 8 strokes above what I can reasonably expect to shoot at this course. Putting was a gong show, and I had one hole where everything fell apart...

BUT we were out on the course together in nice weather so I have absolutely no complaints!!

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
Pulled the trigger and went back to blades. Always preferred that classic look and feel of them, so pure when you hit one dead center only issue is finding that center consistently

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My game seems to have rounded back into form. My scores this month: 81, 94, 77, 85, 84, 80

I want to get to a point where I'm consistently scoring around 80 and a good day gets me down to 75. I'd also really like to finally shoot par or better this summer
that`s nice improvement, right now I`m playing once a week, for me, I need to play twice a week to see improvement but work and life won`t allow for it. Played two days ago, hit the ball well but made two mistakes with both resulting in doubles and shot an 84. Still searching for that elusive first birdie this year.

I`m not a birdie machine by any stretch but typically give myself 2-3 legit looks per round but just not putting it tight enough so far this year and haven`t got one yet but it`ll come

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Well I finally did it - I golfed a 77 yesterday to break 80 for the first time ever. The funny part was I still had 3 double bogeys, but also had 3 birdies. Can't expect that too happen too often :laugh:

Went out with my son earlier in the week for the first time this season and shot a 49 for 9 holes, which is about 7 or 8 strokes above what I can reasonably expect to shoot at this course. Putting was a gong show, and I had one hole where everything fell apart...

BUT we were out on the course together in nice weather so I have absolutely no complaints!!
Nice weather and fun is what it's all about!

This is what my goal would be, I want a good day to be sub-80 and my average day to be in the mid 80s.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Pulled the trigger and went back to blades. Always preferred that classic look and feel of them, so pure when you hit one dead center only issue is finding that center consistently
I've never tried blades, however irons are typically the worst part of my game so I doubt I should try them. I won't buy new irons for a long time, but hopefully by the time I do I can convert over to blades.

Out of curiosity what type of clubs do all of you play?

I have Srixon irons (probably about 8 years old by now) and Srixon 3 wood, Taylormade Jetspeed driver (love, love, love this club), an older taylormade burner 5 wood, and a no-name brand hybrid and putter.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Well I finally did it - I golfed a 77 yesterday to break 80 for the first time ever. The funny part was I still had 3 double bogeys, but also had 3 birdies. Can't expect that too happen too often :laugh:

Nice weather and fun is what it's all about!

This is what my goal would be, I want a good day to be sub-80 and my average day to be in the mid 80s.
great score but you are now officially on my resentment list due to posting 3 birdies this year while I have 0:laugh:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
great score but you are now officially on my resentment list due to posting 3 birdies this year while I have 0:laugh:
Don't resent me too much, it is most definitely the only time I've birdied 3 times in one round :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Don't resent me too much, it is most definitely the only time I've birdied 3 times in one round :laugh:

pretty sure I`ve only done it a few times myself, last year I started the back nine at a much easier course than the one I played with 3 birds, gave all 3 back within the next 3 holes but finished well but just doesn`t happen much for me. I`m usually good for one bird/round, can`t count how many putts I`ve lipped out. I`d say they were good putts but if they were good, they`d be in the hole:)

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
I've never tried blades, however irons are typically the worst part of my game so I doubt I should try them. I won't buy new irons for a long time, but hopefully by the time I do I can convert over to blades.

I have Srixon irons (probably about 8 years old by now) and Srixon 3 wood, Taylormade Jetspeed driver (love, love, love this club), an older taylormade burner 5 wood, and a no-name brand hybrid and putter.

TaylorMade M1 Driver - 8 degrees
TM - M5 3 Wood
Callaway Apex 2 iron - 18 degrees
TM P7TW Irons 4 - PW
Mizuno T7 Wedges 52 - 56 - 60
TM TP Copper Juno Putter

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

I’ve got all Callaways except for one Cleveland wedge and a Titleist. I also just started carrying the 4-hybrid from my old Adams set because I’ve been struggling hitting my 4/5 irons

a couple of years ago I bought a full Callaway iron set brand new on eBay for like $175. They mostly seem to work well enough for me, although this year I’ve been hitting them about 15 yards shorter than normal, which is definitely costing me a few strokes a round

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Unless you are a 5 or lower Handicap and like to work the ball, blades are overrated. But thats just my opinion.

I'm an 11 Handicap and I play:
Irons: Titleist AP2 (714) 4-PW
Driver: Titleist 910 (9 degree)
Fairway: Titleist 910 4W and Titleist 913 3 Hybrid
Wedges: Cleveland CBX (50, 54 & 58 degree).
Just got a new putter. Been a blade guy all my life, but started using the Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet and won't go back again. I love that club.

Still need to get my speeds dialed in on the greens with it, but it rolls true and the ball goes where I want it to.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I use 2 golf apps that I really like (I have no affiliation with either). You guys may already know about them, but in case you don't, they are:

The Grint: FREE app that you can use as a GPS Yardage book, Scorecard, Stat Tracker and Handicap Manager. It even has a pretty cool feature to score your foursome and will give strokes on the appropriate holes if you input the correct handicaps. It has an extensive course database and its GPS yardages are within 5yds of my laser rangefinder. Only catch is you need cell reception and the GPS feature does suck battery life, but you can disable it and only turn it on and off when you need it. www.thegrint.com

My Golf Spy: Probably the best all around golf website out there. News, Guides, Tutorials, and most importantly Equipment Reviews. I NEVER buy anything golf related, until I check this site out first. Its that good. Their Golf Ball review is probably the most comprehensive and detailed thing I've ever seen written about golf balls, and last year they exposed a significant manufacturing issue with Callaway. MyGolfSpy - The World’s Most Extensive Golf Reviews

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Canadian Corey Conners with a blistering -8, 1 stroke behind Simpson and tied with the beast of muscle, DeChambeau.

Should be a good weekend on the PGA tour.

Played 9 yesterday, shot a 41.

Getting close to the 70s again, I just have to play some more, this summer I should be there once again.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Canadian Corey Conners with a blistering -8, 1 stroke behind Simpson and tied with the beast of muscle, DeChambeau.

Should be a good weekend on the PGA tour.

Played 9 yesterday, shot a 41.

Getting close to the 70s again, I just have to play some more, this summer I should be there once again.

Shot 84 yesterday. 42-42 with a double-bogey on each side. Hit the ball pretty well, couldn't make a putt (37 putts).

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
Unless you are a 5 or lower Handicap and like to work the ball, blades are overrated. But thats just my opinion.

I'm an 11 Handicap and I play:
Irons: Titleist AP2 (714) 4-PW
Driver: Titleist 910 (9 degree)
Fairway: Titleist 910 4W and Titleist 913 3 Hybrid
Wedges: Cleveland CBX (50, 54 & 58 degree).
Just got a new putter. Been a blade guy all my life, but started using the Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet and won't go back again. I love that club.

Still need to get my speeds dialed in on the greens with it, but it rolls true and the ball goes where I want it to.

They are more forgiving than you think. I normally carry an 8 iron 165 yards, if I mishit towards the toe I can still get it to go 150 yards plus. Only time it's a real issue is if there is a forced carry over water but to be fair if you mishit any type of iron it's going to come up short.

There are many youtube videos of mid handicappers reviewing blades and loving them and being surprised at how they perform.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
They are more forgiving than you think. I normally carry an 8 iron 165 yards, if I mishit towards the toe I can still get it to go 150 yards plus. Only time it's a real issue is if there is a forced carry over water but to be fair if you mishit any type of iron it's going to come up short.

There are many youtube videos of mid handicappers reviewing blades and loving them and being surprised at how they perform.
Nothing wrong with playing blades if it fits your swing type. The point of my previous post was that you shouldn't play blades just for the sake of playing blades.

I fall in between, and I've played both. I tend to hit the ball high and the thing I liked about blades is that it helped me keep the ball lower than most CB irons without sacrificing distance. Especially if you play in windy conditions like I do.

That said, as I've gotten older, I don't generate quite the same club head speed that I did in my 30s and I found that I like a lower spinning iron and ball on approach shots. I don't mind clubbing up to hit the same yardages and I get a more consistent movement from the ball once it lands the green. I actually went to cavity backed wedges last year as well although I can't say that I'd do that again.

That was one of the things that attracted me to the AP2 Irons. I found that they were a nice blend of the 2.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Golfed in the midnight tournament this past Sunday night. Tee off was 9:30 and i was absolutely dummied. Needless to say it was my worst round of the year with a 99. Started off with an 8 and a 7 on the second hole. I wanted to go jump in the lake, but then started to piece together some decent shots to save disasters, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->