[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Benning just gave the entire coaching staff contract extensions. Do you fire the assistant coaches too? Usually a new coach would want his own guys. Or do you promote from within? Which generally would lead to more of the same.

I'm still of the belief that this management group shouldn't get to make this decision, and I would leave this for the next GM.

Usually a head coach will come in and keep the existing coaches for the remainder of the season and then evaluate in the offseason. Most head coaches want their own guys.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Mr Aquilini would have to pay an NHL coaches salary to candidates like those. He pays Green AHL coach money.
Laughable that the Aquilini's don't want to spend money on a coach. Despite all their flaws as owners, spending was never and will never be one of them as far as Hockey Ops go.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Laughable that the Aquilini's don't want to spend money on a coach. Despite all their flaws as owners, spending was never and will never be one of them as far as Hockey Ops go.
I don’t know if this is the case anymore. Their hockey ops has gotten pretty lean recently.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Drance on 1040 this morning signalling the virtues of Travis Green.

Cites:
-Hughes, says most coaches wouldn't use Hughes this early (but goes on to say he's the teams best defensman later on). Silly.
-Pettersson - put him at C (was a C his whole damn life)
- controlling the play 5 on 5 (LOL)
- says they're a Pain in the neck to play against
- his work with young players (lol)
- says they're overachieving currently based on their roster (team is on a 71 point pace since November 1st)

His summary is that the roster is limited and the players are to blame vs the coaching. I think it's all of the above.

Since Drance returned, I've lost a considerable amount of enjoyment for his takes. I think he tries to skirt the line, but falls onto the Iain Macintyre side of the line most of the time. The team finished 9th worst last year, most people think they improved.....they're currently the 9th worst team in the league.

What an awful take.

On what planet are we a 'pain in the neck' to play against? We're a slow, soft team that generates nothing at ES and basically relies on PP excellence to stay in games. We have 1 consistently in-your-face player in Roussel.

The 'work with kids' thing is the narrative on Green for years and is BS.

Pettersson playing at C was an organizational decision. Not sure Green had much or any say there.

The notion that we're controlling the play 5-on-5 is about the most ridiculous statement imaginable. We've been the worst 5-on-5 team in the NHL outside of Detroit in the last 20 games.

And if they're overachieving based on their roster ... you should be calling for the scalp of the GM who has been in place for 6 years and has a roster this bad.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Yeah, the Athletic has definitely gone soft on the Canucks. Unfortunate to see. None of the media in the city are really willing to hold the team's management to account.

Botchford definitely told it like it was, but now Drance is partnering with the team to "honour" Botchford but it's clear there's a Botchford size hole in the local media. Would have been better to honour Botchford by holding the team's feet to the fire.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
What an awful take.

On what planet are we a 'pain in the neck' to play against? We're a slow, soft team that generates nothing at ES and basically relies on PP excellence to stay in games. We have 1 consistently in-your-face player in Roussel.

The 'work with kids' thing is the narrative on Green for years and is BS.

Pettersson playing at C was an organizational decision. Not sure Green had much or any say there.

The notion that we're controlling the play 5-on-5 is about the most ridiculous statement imaginable. We've been the worst 5-on-5 team in the NHL outside of Detroit in the last 20 games.

And if they're overachieving based on their roster ... you should be calling for the scalp of the GM who has been in place for 6 years and has a roster this bad.
It was definitely a laughable listen. He's certainly pandering to the casual.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
The problem with firing Green is we don’t have a clear replacement internally like the teams who have already fired coaches. Baumgartner and Bowness don’t have any HC experience. Doug Jarvis is around as a senior advisor, but that’s still not a great option with your season on the line in Benning’s position.

That leaves DeBoer as the only real option since I very much doubt the Canucks want to take the heat of hiring Babcock and teams are probably wary of hiring new coaches mid season without thorough background checks. DeBoer is also going to also come with the bigger price tag experienced coaches have started and I question if that’s something Aquilini would get behind.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Amazed he said we played pretty good. We played bad, generated very little scoring chances and let a lousy team like Montreal come in to our barn and dictate the game.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
If Green isn't in the hot seat, what the hell are we doing? The team in front of him is lost.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

The part that bugs me is that he takes no accountability for how bad the team played, nor does he call out his players. I am not saying that he is supposed to throw them under the bus, kick them, strangle them or anything else but if he showed some freaking emotion maybe the team will as well.

Time to get bold and hold the leaders more accountable, really change up the game plan/lines for a few games and see what happens but right now this team is in a full tail spin and they will not get out of it.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The part that bugs me is that he takes no accountability for how bad the team played, nor does he call out his players. I am not saying that he is supposed to throw them under the bus, kick them, strangle them or anything else but if he showed some freaking emotion maybe the team will as well.

Time to get bold and hold the leaders more accountable, really change up the game plan/lines for a few games and see what happens but right now this team is in a full tail spin and they will not get out of it.

What happened to always supporting the team?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
We're in year 3 of Travis Green, who holds the lowest current winning percentage among NHL Head Coaches (excluding all of the guys in their first year this year), and are trending to miss the playoffs for a 5th straight year.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
He wouldn't be getting fired after 34 games. He would be getting fired in year 3. For producing mediocre results with an improved roster.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The roster he had the last two years was in no way expected to be a playoff team (that is what Elliott Friedman is alluding to)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad