[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
If Benning doesn't want to fire Green and make a decision at the end of the season (which would be reasonable considering what the teams record is) at least see if you can hire a Laviolette as an assistant (if he would even take that). He clearly can't coach defensive systems very well so why not find someone who can help?

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
If Benning doesn't want to fire Green and make a decision at the end of the season (which would be reasonable considering what the teams record is) at least see if you can hire a Laviolette as an assistant (if he would even take that). He clearly can't coach defensive systems very well so why not find someone who can help?
I’m not sure Benning gets to fire another coach

Reactions: calnuck

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Poile also said Laviolette wasn’t going to be fired - he was fired a day or two later. Contract extension doesn’t mean much, things can change fast.
So another team's GM fired their coach...which means Benning can't fire his coach?

I don't follow most people's feelings that Benning doesn't have another coaching firing/hiring in him when he just got a three year extension. When he drafted Podkolzin, I said at the time that he's operating like a GM that knows he has plenty of latitude and has no fear of losing his job. A GM on the hot seat, particularly one who hasn't made the playoffs in a while, would not be drafting a guy who's at least two years away.

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
So another team's GM fired their coach...which means Benning can't fire his coach?

I don't follow most people's feelings that Benning doesn't have another coaching firing/hiring in him when he just got a three year extension. When he drafted Podkolzin, I said at the time that he's operating like a GM that knows he has plenty of latitude and has no fear of losing his job. A GM on the hot seat, particularly one who hasn't made the playoffs in a while, would not be drafting a guy who's at least two years away.
I think he drafted him because he thought he was the best player available. Mike Gillis and John Tortorella got turfed when they both had four years left on their deals. We still haven’t heard the actual terms or details of Elmer’s extension. It could be two years + a mutual or team option. Either way Aquilini isn’t afraid to can people with term.

This is a wildcard or bubble team. Canning Travis isn’t going to change that. He’s a decent coach. I don’t think Benning gets to gas another coach.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Why would Benning fire his second coach and put the spotlight directly on himself if the team falters

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Travis Green was a bit too cocky with the lack of timeout and goalie pull and it cost the team. He’ll probably learn from this and call timeouts and pull Markstrom quicker but even Vigneault couldn’t stop us from getting blown out by Boston with what I’m told was the best Canucks roster ever and Vigneault was a top shelf coach. Sometimes these games happen, in the real world you have some days where everything seems to go wrong. We tend to overrate the importance of these games - it’s the same thing as a 2-1 loss in the grand scheme of things. Fact: the Canucks played half of a good road game before I went to the bathroom and came back and the game was over.

The NHL isn’t some league where you can get lucky and win enough to be a playoff team. You have to put the work in and when players do that good things happen and you give yourself a good chance to win if you outwork your opponent. The Canucks have not been out worked very often this year. In the NHL that’s not easy to achieve as a coach with such a young team. Travis Green is very good at managing his players effort levels.

When it comes to managing skill levels.. we can out skill or be even with most teams in the league. But Beagle isn’t going to out skill Alex Ovechkin and probably won’t outwork him either because Ovi is a beast. That shouldn’t be happening. I remember Vigneault being very diligent about getting Kessler out there against top lines at all times. Then again Green doesn’t have a Ryan Kesler type forward because they rarely exist and if they do they’re not available. But still, Green has the option to call out a line change when he sees Ovechkin jump across the boards and he chooses not to. Probably does it to motivate his 4th liners and send them the message that he has confidence in them. That’s also fair enough in the regular season but if I see this in the playoffs I want him gone.

Reactions: David71

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Travis Green was a bit too cocky with the lack of timeout and goalie pull and it cost the team. He’ll probably learn from this and call timeouts and pull Markstrom quicker but even Vigneault couldn’t stop us from getting blown out by Boston with what I’m told was the best Canucks roster ever and Vigneault was a top shelf coach. Sometimes these games happen, in the real world you have some days where everything seems to go wrong. We tend to overrate the importance of these games - it’s the same thing as a 2-1 loss in the grand scheme of things. Fact: the Canucks played half of a good road game before I went to the bathroom and came back and the game was over.

The NHL isn’t some league where you can get lucky and win enough to be a playoff team. You have to put the work in and when players do that good things happen and you give yourself a good chance to win if you outwork your opponent. The Canucks have not been out worked very often this year. In the NHL that’s not easy to achieve as a coach with such a young team. Travis Green is very good at managing his players effort levels.

When it comes to managing skill levels.. we can out skill or be even with most teams in the league. But Beagle isn’t going to out skill Alex Ovechkin and probably won’t outwork him either because Ovi is a beast. That shouldn’t be happening. I remember Vigneault being very diligent about getting Kessler out there against top lines at all times. Then again Green doesn’t have a Ryan Kesler type forward because they rarely exist and if they do they’re not available. But still, Green has the option to call out a line change when he sees Ovechkin jump across the boards and he chooses not to. Probably does it to motivate his 4th liners and send them the message that he has confidence in them. That’s also fair enough in the regular season but if I see this in the playoffs I want him gone.

We understand that there are games where we will get blown out. Most of the concern stems from our weak 5 on 5 play that has been going on all season as well as our weak defensive structure.

Reactions: David71

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Put me on the "fire Green" wagon too. I don't think he's bad and this is a young group but I think we should be more structured 5 on 5. There are far too many quality chances given up and a persistent inability to keep a lead. Markstrom along with the team's offensive talent have outscored their problems and given us a decent record but I think perhaps DeBoer or someone else experienced would get more out of what IMO is a pretty good roster.

I really liked Green but we should be better than this. This situation could end up similar to what Edmonton had with Eakins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad