[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
"That's crazy town! That's what losers do!"

For real (and I mean surreal), I am at a loss for words.Read MS's posts about accountability, and then read Friedman's words.

Thank goodness for Lewis.

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
The roster he had the last two years was in no way expected to be a playoff team (that is what Elliott Friedman is alluding to)...

And he was a terrible coach in the first 2 years as well. You don't need a good roster to identify an incompetent coach. The team still has no ability to play an NHL system other than dump the puck into the corner and not get it back, after 3 years. That is not a roster issue..

The captain of the team. The so called lead by example player can't score a single goal on home ice playing whatever the f*** system this is. Is Horvat that bad? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 420Canuck

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Friedman should stick to reporting instead of giving his opinions. Guy has some bad takes...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You don't need a good roster to identify an incompetent coach.
Tell that to Jim Benning:

2014-15, 2015-16, and 2016-17:

10002236.jpg

Reactions: I am toxic

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I've changed my tune in the last few hours.

If the organization wants to scapegoat Green, add me to the mob. He's not a coach worth losing sleep over.

There is no way (I'd hope...) Benning would get another coach, especially if they fired Green now and the team still missed the playoffs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've changed my tune in the last few hours.

If the organization wants to scapegoat Green, add me to the mob. He's not a coach worth losing sleep over.

There is no way (I'd hope...) Benning would get another coach, especially if they fired Green now and the team still missed the playoffs.

I want to see them go together.

Worst nightmare is that the inevitable scapegoating of Green and inevitable slight bounce under a new coach makes the last couple years all Green's fault and buys Benning another year or two with a new coach. Also, bringing in a new coach on a 3-4 year deal makes things awkward for the GM who replaces Benning.

Cleanest thing is a complete housecleaning in April after we miss the playoffs yet again.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I dont think Green should be fired yet ...Its pretty obvious when a team has tuned out the coach , and it hasn't happened here..Other than Dallas,and LVGK..they've been in every game..

The progression of the young core isnt linear, and there is going to be bumps ,and winless skids along the way..Obviously,the younger players are currently getting overwhelmed...They are the key to any playoff hopes.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I want to see them go together.

Worst nightmare is that the inevitable scapegoating of Green and inevitable slight bounce under a new coach makes the last couple years all Green's fault and buys Benning another year or two with a new coach. Also, bringing in a new coach on a 3-4 year deal makes things awkward for the GM who replaces Benning.

Cleanest thing is a complete housecleaning in April after we miss the playoffs yet again.

Fair enough. But I also did not see this turn on Green happening; thought for sure that he'd be more sheltered than Benning, simply because you just can't imagine Jim has too many get out of jail cards left.

But let's look at our schedule coming up:

Dec. 19 vs VGK
Dec. 21 vs PIT
Dec. 23 vs EDM
Dec. 28 vs LAK
Dec. 29 @ CGY
Jan. 2 vs CHI
Jan. 4 vs NYR

That is essentially a 7 game home stand (they'll fly to Calgary and right back) but will be followed with a 5 game road trip. Can't imagine anything happening right before Christmas either.

So if Green is to get fired, that probably means we go something like 1-5-1 over these 7 games. That's not a murderers row of opponents, but all but LA and Chicago are probably better than us.

If they can find a coach that pulls them out of that and into the playoffs, even with the inevitable new coach bump, that's a guy I'd be okay with keeping around. My bigger fear is they keep Green, play out of this stretch, and the two of them (knowing they need to save their jobs) become buyers at the deadline and ride Pettersson/Hughes/Markstrom into the ground.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough. But I also did not see this turn on Green happening; thought for sure that he'd be more sheltered than Benning, simply because you just can't imagine Jim has too many get out of jail cards left.

But let's look at our schedule coming up:

Dec. 19 vs VGK
Dec. 21 vs PIT
Dec. 23 vs EDM
Dec. 28 vs LAK
Dec. 29 @ CGY
Jan. 2 vs CHI
Jan. 4 vs NYR

That is essentially a 7 game home stand (they'll fly to Calgary and right back) but will be followed with a 5 game road trip. Can't imagine anything happening right before Christmas either.

So if Green is to get fired, that probably means we go something like 1-5-1 over these 7 games. That's not a murderers row of opponents, but all but LA and Chicago are probably better than us.

If they can find a coach that pulls them out of that and into the playoffs, even with the inevitable new coach bump, that's a guy I'd be okay with keeping around. My bigger fear is they keep Green, play out of this stretch, and the two of them (knowing they need to save their jobs) become buyers at the deadline and ride Pettersson/Hughes/Markstrom into the ground.

This is definitely a soft bit of schedule coming up, and I assume we'll rebound a bit. That said, I would have included the Montreal game as part of the soft schedule.

LA, Chicago, and NYR suck and Edmonton is struggling badly. And Pittsburgh we get as their 3rd road game in 4 nights.

If they get less than 8-9 points out of these 7 games, the season is probably over.

Reactions: vancityluongo

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
whether or not green has lost the team, there is now something going on within the team and it is his job to solve it. if he cannot solve it, it really doesn't matter if he loses them.

fwiw, i don't think he has lost the team, and i think if green was the garbage coach many think he is, the team would not have started the season confident and believing in themselves. he coached them last year. he's a known quantity.

but there is definitely something up that is distracting the team the last few games, and green needs to get a handle on it fast.

the best possible explanation is that initial overconfidence, some hard losses where they played well, and some inexperience in their game management, has hit the team hard.

but, i think watching the lack of adjustments and the fact some guys just blank out at times, that there are some personnel problems.

i think a trade of a bigger name is more likely than a coaching change.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Even when HFboard + reddit+ the majority of Canucks twitter is turning on against this managements. There are still people on social media saying “Jim has injected some of the best young players in the league to this team.”

No
He hit 3/5 first round picks like a average should, 2 of those are top 10 picks while failing at trade and players signings.
And no, late round picks are usually the work of scouts not the GM

Reactions: Peter10

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Yeah, the Athletic has definitely gone soft on the Canucks. Unfortunate to see. None of the media in the city are really willing to hold the team's management to account.

Botchford definitely told it like it was, but now Drance is partnering with the team to "honour" Botchford but it's clear there's a Botchford size hole in the local media. Would have been better to honour Botchford by holding the team's feet to the fire.
Their article on system flaws the Canucks need to fix was quite good.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Pissed me off that he compared us to Montreal's slump of losing 8 games in a row and used it as an excuse that we are just "going through adversity" as if our "slump" was in anyway similar to Montreal. No we are not going through "adversity", we are going through incompetent coaching and lack of personnel with skill.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
why are we playing such a stationary defensive style ?

refer to Kings first goal.

Kings maintain pressure in our zone.
when kings dman have the puck NOBODY IS f*** ING ON THE GUY! nobody! we just stand there, in a box style system, thus giving the kings dman time to set up, like wtf! wtf green! is this the style that can win cups?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan