[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
its astonishing how bad we are at defending the neutral zone
I think teams have figured out how to abuse greens system at even strength. This is a game of adjustments and I really haven’t seen much of it out of this coaching staff. Bad periods happen but good coaches respond with good 20 minutes coming out of intermission. This team has been compounding bad periods with more bad periods and that can’t happen if you have any hope at the playoffs.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I know we are on a winning streak, but you can't tell me this looks like a playoff team! we've given up how many 40 shots and more games already? L.A Kings is also a bottom feeder that played last night like wtf!

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
From looking at the shift charts, Green seems to have a bad habit of over-relying on his 4th line when the 3rd period rolls around (especially if we have a lead). This doesn't bode particularly well especially in the long run when they're getting caved in at 5 on 5. It's one big reason why he's developed a reputation for having an overly safe, conservative coaching style.

Reactions: RussianRacket

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
From looking at the shift charts, Green seems to have a bad habit of over-relying on his 4th line when the 3rd period rolls around (especially if we have a lead). This doesn't bode particularly well especially in the long run when they're getting caved in at 5 on 5. It's one big reason why he's developed a reputation for having an overly safe, conservative coaching style.
Hi friend, this is a good post. I agree, and its not like when this team is ready to go a few rounds deep into the playoffs you can be shielding Pettersson/Boeser/etc late into the game. It will be fascinating to see how it develops.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Lets hear it for potential 2020 All Star coach Green!!

[31 Thoughts] If VAN beats CHI, and VGK doesn’t win both of their next two games, Travis Green will represent the Pacific at the ASG... Jacob Markstrom seems like the probable ASG replacement for Darcy Kuemper.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Lets hear it for potential 2020 All Star coach Green!!

[31 Thoughts] If VAN beats CHI, and VGK doesn’t win both of their next two games, Travis Green will represent the Pacific at the ASG... Jacob Markstrom seems like the probable ASG replacement for Darcy Kuemper.

Green will make the Allstars play dump and chase hockey and sit back on leads.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
its astonishing how bad we are at defending the neutral zone
Who cares, you want to fire someone because his team is bad a defending the neutral zone? :laugh:

Green isn’t a flawless coach but he coaches an exciting style, and the young stars have all been quite successful under his coaching. Even Virtanen is coming around.

Maybe go back to Willie if you want a team that clogs up the neutral zone and tries to sit on leads :laugh:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Who cares, you want to fire someone because his team is bad a defending the neutral zone? :laugh:

Green isn’t a flawless coach but he coaches an exciting style, and the young stars have all been quite successful under his coaching. Even Virtanen is coming around.

Maybe go back to Willie if you want a team that clogs up the neutral zone and tries to sit on leads :laugh:
I agree completely. I like Green.
Thing i have issue with is the team needs to be able to transition from its aggressive style of puck pressure to being able to defend the neutral zone and make it hard for teams to get into our zone.
Its a work in progress. I'm ok with it

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Thing i have issue with is the team needs to be able to transition from its aggressive style of puck pressure to being able to defend the neutral zone and make it hard for teams to get into our zone.

That’s very fair. I agree with you in regards to that being an issue that Green needs to address.

Issue that needs fixing? Yes
Fireable offence? No

Reactions: sting101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I sometimes wonder whether the Canucks should add an experienced associate coach. The Canucks don't have an associate coach. Green himself isn't a particularly experienced coach. Brown brings plenty of experience but as far as I know he's not in charge of the defense or defensive schemes. Baumgartner has been with Green since the beginning but he has basically spent one season away from Green and at least as a player he wasn't exactly a shutdown Dman. Malhotra of course is green. They do have Doug Jarvis around who is no longer working as an assistant coach.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

The young stars were successful under Babcock to right?

Green is a trash head coach

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I sometimes wonder whether the Canucks should add an experienced associate coach. The Canucks don't have an associate coach. Green himself isn't a particularly experienced coach. Brown brings plenty of experience but as far as I know he's not in charge of the defense or defensive schemes. Baumgartner has been with Green since the beginning but he has basically spent one season away from Green and at least as a player he wasn't exactly a shutdown Dman. Malhotra of course is green. They do have Doug Jarvis around who is no longer working as an assistant coach.
Not a bad thought. Manny and Jarvis should be good sources of how to address defensive structure though.

At the end of the day it takes buy in from the players and grinding it out

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
How is Green a trash head coach?
The team is winning so he can’t be “trash”

what is he doing wrong?

The team is getting heavily outshot and outplayed in games. A while back a stat was posted and showed we had 4X the dump ins Vegas had. Not only is he a bad offensive coach this team has poor defence structure and gives up the neutral zone and Center of the ice fairly easily. We shouldn’t be getting outplayed by teams like LA and NYR.

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Willie's team was nowhere near as dynamic offensively as the team Green has...

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I know the media has been buttering up Green over this past run but I still think he's the problem. This team is plenty capable, they just mail it in most nights and have a super hard time mounting a consistently tight and motivated game over all 3 periods. If this team could play all 3 periods like the one where they typically mount a solid lead before blowing it they would firmly be a playoff team.

To me, those shortcomings scream coaching issue to me. I don't disagree that Green may not have had a "fair" look with this teams current makeup but with so many great coaches on the market I think it would be a missed opportunity to not scoop up someone like Laviolette while he's out a job

Last edited:

GFY

Touhou Fanatic
Dec 21, 2013
Richmond, B.C.
I don't think Green is "the" problem, but he is definitely one of the problems with this team in a list of many. The team has won in spite of him, not because of him. His usage of certain players is pretty frustrating too.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Markstrom is hiding the deficiencies of this coaching staff. The sooner we get rid of Green the sooner this team can go to the next level

Reactions: calnuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia