[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leafs got a bit a bump from the coaching change, but sooner or later the roster finds its' appropriate level. So you can shovel dirt on Babcock's coffin all you want. But at the end of the day the Leafs are what they are, regardless of who's behind the bench. The next round of finger-pointing will be directed at wunderkind GM Kyle Dubas, and this is as it should be.

As far as the Canucks are concerned, they're another run and gun team giving up far too many scoring chances via poor zone exits, over-handling the puck in danger areas; and poor defensive coverage. And as a result they're choking on third periods.

Still undecided whether this is the result of Green's coaching system, or lack of it.....or whether more of the brickbats need to directed at Benning. Whatever. But the bottom line, the Canucks just aren't playing the kind of airtight defensive hockey right now that will give them any shot at the playoffs.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Travis green is like the perfect coach for some stupid idiot team that nobody cares about like the coyotes, panthers, or wild.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Travis Green is the perfect coach for this team. An inoffensive, bland vanilla coach who will be forgotten about ten seconds after he's fired, who can tread water with a bad team collecting a meagre salary until they are in a position to contend.
The only drawback IMO is he's a bit of a death knell for anyone who isn't immediately an obvious NHL talent. If we're going to suck while he's here, ideally it'd be with someone who has a good record of developing kids.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
I am moving toward getting rid of him.

Had enough of him not getting the team ready for the games.

Show some fire behind the bench and maybe the team will have some fire?

GFY

Touhou Fanatic
Dec 21, 2013
Richmond, B.C.
I'm not one to usually complain about coaches as they all usually have things I'll dislike but Green just isn't that good at all I find. I actually kind of wish we had Desjardins over Green because atleast the teams did play hard for a full 60 mins more often than what, 2 games this year so far? Against a lowly Detroit team and I guess the LA Kings when they were awful in the early part of the season.

Sure some of the onus of not playing hard has to be on the players but the consistent lack of playing a full game and also surrendering the first goal like 80% of the time this season is just ridiculous. The players keep coming out flat at the start of every single game. His style of coaching is getting more boring by the second and it seems like this team can only generate high danger chances off of turnovers. I've started actually paying more attention to chances the other teams create off the rush, or in the slot from just controlling it in the offensive zone and I keep wondering why we can't manage to do that. Is it the players? Is it Green? Is it both? Either way it's just so frustrating to watch how awful our team at 5v5 is.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'm not one to usually complain about coaches as they all usually have things I'll dislike but Green just isn't that good at all I find. I actually kind of wish we had Desjardins over Green because atleast the teams did play hard for a full 60 mins more often than what, 2 games this year so far? Against a lowly Detroit team and I guess the LA Kings when they were awful in the early part of the season.

Sure some of the onus of not playing hard has to be on the players but the consistent lack of playing a full game and also surrendering the first goal like 80% of the time this season is just ridiculous. The players keep coming out flat at the start of every single game. His style of coaching is getting more boring by the second and it seems like this team can only generate high danger chances off of turnovers. I've started actually paying more attention to chances the other teams create off the rush, or in the slot from just controlling it in the offensive zone and I keep wondering why we can't manage to do that. Is it the players? Is it Green? Is it both? Either way it's just so frustrating to watch how awful our team at 5v5 is.

It's because we don't have a very good team, period. However that's not on the coach.

I've always said that Green isn't the biggest problem here and I stand by that again. However he's very easily replaceable in my eyes.

Dyno

Feb 25, 2018
Time to go full Willie D 2.0 and sign Megna and Chaput. Turn Pettersson into the shutdown center.

perrykaravello

John Garrett's Peanut Butter Jar
Aug 15, 2004
Green on the post game comments thought they played well last night. Delusional.

He's worse than Willie because at least the roster had no real talent on the teams he had.

Green is two games under .500 with three players in the top 40 of scoring and a top 10 scoring defenceman.

It will only get worse the longer he stays here. Get him out NOW.

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I hate the signing since day 1. Green is a horrible coach. I still don't understand where this myth came from that he was good at developing players. I think his 4 years of coaching in Utica. There is one player that he coached a full season that made it to the nhl full time and that is Virtanen.

Last edited:

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Green only has this job because he worked with a few players on Utica and got them to the finals once, mostly on Makrstroms back funny enough. They didn't win though of course.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The coach can't score goals or make a save, but what he can do is implement some sort of defensive structure that focuses on zone entries; zone exits; orderly line changes; and cutting down dramatically on the glorious scoring chance they're giving up.

And that's where this team is falling flat on its face right now. So a coaching change might not make a big difference in the end....but it can't hurt over the short-term. And while this is still a flawed roster, there's really no excuses for the breakdowns and chances they coughing up right now.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Poor overall roster but they’re performing at a 71 point/82 game pace since November 1st.

Coaching has to be looked at.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I hate the signing since day 1. Green is a horrible coach. I still don't understand where this myth came from that he was good at developing players. I think his 4 years of coaching in Utica. There is one player that he coached a full season that maxe it to the nhl full time and that is Virtanen.

And Virtanen was horrendous in the AHL lol.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
"We're a young team and I thought we had a good third. They're a tough team who plays fast hockey and they're tough to deal with." - Green

I read a Reddit post of our frequency in dumping and chasing..

Dump & Chase attempts vs Vegas tonight.
Canucks: 42
Knights: 10

No surprise that Vegas had a lot of possession time.

FIRE GREEN!!

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Green only has this job because he worked with a few players on Utica and got them to the finals once, mostly on Makrstroms back funny enough. They didn't win though of course.

Don't forget he sat guys like Hutton who were new additions so he could play "his guys" in the finals.

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad