[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It's december 6th, you posted it this morning. it certainly changes your point. You're essentially praising them for being outside the playoffs while taking shots at people who thought that this is where they'd be.

Reactions: pomorick

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's december 6th, you posted it this morning. it certainly changes your point. You're essentially praising them for being outside the playoffs while taking shots at people who thought that this is where they'd be.

Pretty sure you thought the Canucks would have the same number of points as San Jose with a game in hand at this point in the season? :rolleyes:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
To me we're still a playoff team if we're 8th in points %

And my point still stands.

At the end of October everyone was qualifying the Canucks stellar performance with caveats about the easiness of their schedule.

But now no one is qualifying the Canucks' November performance with caveats about their brutal schedule.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not sure what San Jose has to do with anything I've written.

The Canucks as it stands are not in the playoffs, RMB was trying to thread some narrative that HFcanucks is negative or some BS as if the Canucks are some amazing team.

I thought the canucks were an 84-87 point team before the season, they're pace is better than that, but I don't consider it worthy of writing home to mom about.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I thought the canucks were an 84-87 point team before the season, they're pace is better than that, but I don't consider it worthy of writing home to mom about.

Maybe you should let your mom decide?

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
They can't defend a lead to save their lives - this is on Green IMHO. Too passive and disorganized when they don't have the puck.

I'm quoting this from the game thread because I wanted to say in here how sick I am of hearing Green or media members saying the reason they're constantly blowing leads is because they're a "young team." The only guys on this team I would consider "young" are Petey, Boeser, Hughes, Gaudette and Virtanen.

The way this excuse is thrown out there you'd think half the roster is first or second year players. They blow leads because Green has them playing disgustingly passive once they get ahead and the other team is able to play with a head of steam the rest of the way.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
I do wonder how good this team might be with competent coaching, Travis Green might be one of, if not the worst in-game situational coach in the NHL, no lead feels safe because of his passive tactics and horrible line use.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
He'd be the 2nd head coach he's hired for the Canucks. NHL GM's rarely (if ever) get to make two mistakes (without some kind of tangible win on the ice - ie., regular season/post-season record).

If he fires Green, the clock starts ticking on Benning immediately. I don't think he takes that risk at this moment.

At least, that's how I look at it.
So Benning can either stick with green and get fired because Green is coaching this team to a disastrous finish, or he can fire green and risk getting fired quicker.

I'd take the option that has some chance of working.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
I'd take Babcock or Peters at this point.

Are you kidding? Please tell me you are kidding? You would prefer 2 coaches that are known to be bad people and put them as the coach of this team?

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
no matter what happens this year I do believe Travis will be back next year. it has been reported his assistants will be all getting 1 year extensions for next. he is entering the last year of his deal next year

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Peter Debeor and the entire coaching staff in San Jose walk the plank. Wow! This is a rash move for a guy like Doug Wilson. But the scary thing for them, is that Ottawa owns their first-round draft pick this year.

Travis Green is slowly moving up the depth chart of tenured NHL coaches. He and Vegas coach Gerard Gallant are now solidly in the top-10 in terms of seniority. Mothers, don't let you son grow up to be an NHL coach....and mortgage companies beware.

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019
Not sure how much it's been commented in here but my only big gripe is that the major obvious flaws are never really talked about. I expect the coach and players to come out in the post game interviews and talk about how they need to get bodies in front of the net and in the center of the ice.. but nothing. He mentions he liked our game. It seems he is only focused on the canucks playing a good defensive structure. There seems to be NO focus on what the Canucks need to do in order to generate 5 on 5 goals.

They take the saying 'if you play good defense, the offense will come', far too literal. You do need to continually work on your offensive game as well.

Canucks seem very happy with playing a perimeter game and hoping for rebounds that pop past the defenders and right on the stick of our forwards

Green needs to realize shot total is not the only important stat.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Peter Debeor and the entire coaching staff in San Jose walk the plank. Wow! This is a rash move for a guy like Doug Wilson. But the scary thing for them, is that Ottawa owns their first-round draft pick this year.

Travis Green is slowly moving up the depth chart of tenured NHL coaches. He and Vegas coach Gerard Gallant are now solidly in the top-10 in terms of seniority. Mothers, don't let you son grow up to be an NHL coach....and mortgage companies beware.

I don't know about that. It's guaranteed money if you make it. The lowball coaching contracts are typically at least 3 years and at least $300k a year. Green signed a 4 year contract for $1M a season. Plus if you make it as an NHL coach you can probably find an assistant coaching or head coaching position somewhere if you don't have some skeletons in your closet that have been exposed. NCAA college coaching is a good gig. Willie D should have enough money to retire.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I don't know about that. It's guaranteed money if you make it. The lowball coaching contracts are typically at least 3 years and at least $300k a year. Green signed a 4 year contract for $1M a season. Plus if you make it as an NHL coach you can probably find an assistant coaching or head coaching position somewhere if you don't have some skeletons in your closet that have been exposed. NCAA college coaching is a good gig. Willie D should have enough money to retire.

WD doesn't want to retire; the guy lives to coach hockey. His team is currently 2nd in the whole WHL...

Reactions: F A N

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Are you kidding? Please tell me you are kidding? You would prefer 2 coaches that are known to be bad people and put them as the coach of this team?

I would take Babcock here in a heartbeat. His record speaks for itself.

Bad people? You think the players are saints? GMs? This is a performance based league. Short of legal charges, I have to believe that many things are tolerated behind the scenes for the sake of winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad