[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I understand all the Canuck assistant coaches have had their contracts extended.....so beginning to think that even if this team flops again this year, Green will be back. I mean they're not going to keep the assistants around and then can the head coach are they?

Not sure why. But I guess it's ultimately up to Jimbo and the owner to decide.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Imagine the potential that pettersson boeser horvat Miller hughes markstrom and demko offers.
Now imagine failing miserably with this great core, at even strength and power play.
Green and brown has to go, and take jb on your way out. Don’t waste the young guys best years.

Reactions: Vancouver_2010

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
How does Benning not fire green to try and salvage this?

I mean far too late, obviously, but he's probably going to try.

If Benning fires another coach, his replacement has to succeed or he is fired. Hopefully Aqua doesn't give him another "it was the coach" card, and fires Benning and Weisbro.

Reactions: LordBacon

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
If Green is doing a bad job it means the team could be doing better with a better coach.

The team is legitimate a playoff contender right now.

So a better Canucks coach & they would be in the playoffs comfortably then, right?

That means Benning built a true playoff team at the very least.

Whose core are all in their primes but mostly just entering them and poised to get even better.

Anyone 0n the Fire Travis Green bandwagon must accept all of the above propositions to maintain the internal consistency of their view.

I wonder how many posters who want Green gone now have previously claimed that Benning is incapable of building a true playoff team?

And therefore hold contradictory positions?

Checkmate atheists.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
If Green is doing a bad job it means the team could be doing better with a better coach.

So a better Canucks coach & they would be in the playoffs comfortably then, right?

Whose core are all in their primes but mostly just entering them and poised to get even better.

Anyone 0n the Fire Travis Green bandwagon must accept all of the above propositions to maintain the internal consistency of their view.

I wonder how many posters who want Green gone now have previously claimed that Benning is incapable of building a true playoff team?

Checkmate atheists.

Atheists? Just stop posting please.

Reactions: racerjoe

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Atheists? Just stop posting please.

No I’m not actually trying to address atheism. It’s a common phrase, get over it.

This kind of response is to be expected as I assume you likely hold the two contradictory positions I outlined. That is irrational and it produces irrational responses like this.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
No I’m not actually trying to address atheism. It’s a common phrase, get over it.

This kind of response is to be expected as I assume you likely hold the two contradictory positions I outlined. That is irrational and it produces irrational responses like this.

You're calling people atheist for not agreeing with your point of view. I am not going to change my position, Green is not a capable coach to get this team far.

Just look at the St Louis Blues, fired their coach Yeo, got a new coach that turned the team around and they went to win a Stanley Cup.

I'm sorry the decisions Green made this game was just amateur at best. He should have calmed the team down, instead he put the team short-handed in a bone headed challenge. I'm one with the opinion that this team would be better with a different coach at the helm.

Reactions: victoriacanucker

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I remember a few years ago I was telling everyone I am not a fan of Green and he is not great coach. I didn't know where this myth came from that he was good at developing players. If he was good at developing players we would of had more nhl players graduate from Utica to become nhl players. I was called a five letter T word a few times because I didn't think was great coach. Now most of us agree Green is not a great coach.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

Checkmate atheists.

lol, or...and here's a crazy idea...both suck at their jobs? OMG

Reactions: MS

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
You're calling people atheist for not agreeing with your point of view. I am not going to change my position, Green is not a capable coach to get this team far.

Just look at the St Louis Blues, fired their coach Yeo, got a new coach that turned the team around and they went to win a Stanley Cup.

I'm sorry the decisions Green made this game was just amateur at best. He should have calmed the team down, instead he put the team short-handed in a bone headed challenge. I'm one with the opinion that this team would be better with a different coach at the helm.

No that’s not what that means.. You’re free to call for a better coach and depending on the replacement I might agree with you. I already said I don’t like Green’s line juggling and there are a lot of decisions he made that I wouldn’t have but we can’t overlook the positives that he has brought either. All I’m saying is, if you want Green gone then it makes the anti-Benning position hard to defend against logical consistency checks.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
No that’s not what that means.. You’re free to call for a better coach and depending on the replacement I might agree with you. I already said I don’t like Green’s line juggling and there are a lot of decisions he made that I wouldn’t have but we can’t overlook the positives that he has brought either. All I’m saying is, if you want Green gone then it makes the anti-Benning position hard to defend against logical consistency checks.

Look I don't want a fight. I'm leaving Benning out of this, I'm just saying we need a better coach if this team wants to get far. We have the pieces, now we just need a coach that can teach a proper system.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Look I don't want a fight. I'm leaving Benning out of this, I'm just saying we need a better coach if this team wants to get far. We have the pieces, now we just need a coach that can teach a proper system.

gotta find one now to turn this team around or else its gonna be the same old story each and every night. and "dont use injuries as an excuse". this team is capable of scoring 5+every night. the problem is their defense.. poor coverage all around. edler/tanev being played way too manyminutes. myers is an overpaid 4/5 defenseman. benn is steady but slow. hughes is the only bright spot and stecher is too small. plus their spare fatenberg has'nt been able to dress in a single game this year.. a "ghost" goalies arent the problem.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Virtanen is tied with JT Miller for first on the team in even strength goals with 6. Green demoted Virtanen to the 4th line and everyone's complaining about even strength scoring. I'm not saying Virtanen is the answer to all the even strength problems but why is our leading ES goal scorer not getting more opportunities?
Because he's not the player green wants him to be. Neither is Goldobin. Neither is Horvat, really.

Those players have flaws, but they also have strengths. Horvat is just being overplayed.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
lol, or...and here's a crazy idea...both suck at their jobs? OMG

That explanation doesn’t account for the roster’s ability to compete favourably against elite teams as much as they have and look every bit like a team that could make the playoffs. If the roster can show that level of play and have that level of success one or both of the GM and HC gets credit. So you can’t implicate Travis Green without exonerating Benning unless you say the Canucks aren’t even at least a bubble playoff team which most would not.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
The team isn't playing that bad.
But just imagine what this team would look like under Quenneville.
They are playing that bad. They have 2 regulation wins in a month (and one of those they only won because of a bizarre special teams mismatch).

They weren't playing bad the first few games of the month, but from the jets or blackhawks game on they have been god awful.

With the notable exception of looking better during the caps game, but they couldn't win that without a silly skills comp.

They also allow the first goal all the f***ing time.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Wow. So 4 out of every 5 nights this season our boys have given an A for effort but no one gave credit to the coach after those games. Now that we go through a tough stretch where the team is exhausted in the middle of a road trip and a tougher schedule people start blaming the coach. It’s so insanely reactionary and thoughtless that it can’t even be taken seriously by a serious person.

By the way I still think that play was offside and it was a good call by Travis. He’s done a good job as coach so far even as much as I hate the line juggling he should get some slack on a young team that’s still trying to find the right balance in chemistry. It would be a lot easier for him if he had two 2nd line wingers but he just doesn’t have it this year unless 2 of Goldobin, Roussell, and Ferland, maybe even Sutter to cover for Horvat defensively or Gaudette if Green will finally put him on Horvat’s wing, work out full time. Worst case scenario if none those guys work out then you run with Leivo and Virtanen. That’s not as bad as it looks on paper when they are playing with superstars like Pettersson and Hughes and Boeser and yes I still believe Horvat is also a superstar in the making. Notice all of these young players I mentioned are average a point per game - they are flourishing under Green’s coaching. That’s not something to take for granted either. Overall I would not fire Green because there’s a real chance we would be firing a potential Jack Adams guy.

#ITrustTravis
They have been god awful all month. He never seems to have them ready to play. Every game it's the same lousy start, allow the first goal, maybe get it going maybe not.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Coach isnt going to get fired...Its pretty obvious when the coach does not have the ear of the room..Thats not the case here.
Doesn't matter if he has their attention or not, if he can't get them to win then he's f***ing gone.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
I understand all the Canuck assistant coaches have had their contracts extended.....so beginning to think that even if this team flops again this year, Green will be back. I mean they're not going to keep the assistants around and then can the head coach are they?

Not sure why. But I guess it's ultimately up to Jimbo and the owner to decide.
If they miss the playoffs how is Benning not gone immediately?

and the new GM isn't going to keep Green.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
part of the GM's job is to hire component coaches. What does it say about Benning if he hired two incompetent coaches?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Doesn't matter if he has their attention or not, if he can't get them to win then he's ****ing gone.
Its a results based business..and if they're not there at the end of the day..he will be gone.....but I still think it's a bit too soon for you to be freaking the f*** out.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

They already took fighting out of hockey! Now you want it out of hockey forums? Let’s fight about it! No I’m kidding. The negatives are definitely there with Green as a coach but the positives are there too. Our entire young core is flourishing under him right now, that’s a big deal. We have been banged up through what will be the toughest month of the schedule and still maintained a playoff spot. It’s not even close to fire Green time yet. Unless you’d like to suggest a replacement that would be obviously better?

Reactions: CanucksMJL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad