Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You also can't put goaltender injuries into the reason for misjudging this team. I don't know how much Kuemper calms things, but I doubt that we are as bad as our record states if he is healthy. Games like the Carolina game we might sneak a loser point out of in that scenario.

I think he read our team perfectly - we needed additional offense. Defense wasn't the problem. Now it is, and that goes back to Tocchet and the lack of in-game adjustments.

Chayka has done fine in this regard, the players/coaching staff have let him down moreso than his own ideas or hubris behind acquiring Hall.
That's where I think you are wrong. D was a problem, but our goalies made it look like there was not. Demers a first pairing, not on a good team, three or four AHL D as your third pairing. Every team only had to focus on OEL and not wory about the rest. Now, I agree that the coaching is not great, but I'm not sure where our talent really is, but we will find out in the next couple of months. Maybe getting Hall might show Chayka what kind of talent we need, and how much better Hall is than the rest of our group, and hopefully his evaluations of our talent might change.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
When he does get back, he will have played his 25th game of the season, and the Coyotes will have 23 left. If he actually plays the majority of them, he will get almost as many games in as a high end NCAA player. So belly aching about his development being hindered by a light schedule should be null.

Reactions: hbk

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When he does get back, he will have played his 25th game of the season, and the Coyotes will have 23 left. If he actually plays the majority of them, he will get almost as many games in as a high end NCAA player. So belly aching about his development being hindered by a light schedule should be null.
Who knows what they are thinking, but Hayton has played 14 NHL games, the others don't mean crap.Hell he might sit for the majority of the games we have left.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Then back to the press box? The way they developed Hayton this year was a big mistake.
I think we will see how the rest of the season plays out before we call it a complete mistake.

If he is sitting 9/10 games then absolutely. If he’s playing 9/10 and contributing offense then there will be disagreement.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we will see how the rest of the season plays out before we call it a complete mistake.

If he is sitting 9/10 games then absolutely. If he’s playing 9/10 and contributing offense then there will be disagreement.
After this road trip we have I think 22 games remaining. Putting a kid in now, and expect production could be wishful thinking. Hayton should have been developed during the year, so at this time of year his play is helping the team. At this time of year there is no room for experimenting with young kids, that's for the first part of the year. IF they play Hayton regularly, and he produces, all I can say is hats off to the kid.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Can the 'Yotes acquire dead cap space of a player currently on the roster? Anotherwords can they acquire Kessel's dead cap space from Toronto?

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
Sharks fan here who follows teams who seem to be turning around years of frustration like the Coyotes, the Blue Jackets etc. After last year and your early season performance I had high hopes for the Coyotes, especially with the Sharks underperforming so much. I have to say I was puzzled by the acquisition of Kessel in the summer. I remember Toronto fans lambasting him for the same reasons you guyx are frustrated. I thought maybe Tocchet could inspire him like in Pittsburgh, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening. The obvious move is to sit Kessel out a few games. Maybe this gets him motivated and spills off onto Stepan etc. too. Here in SJ everyone panicked when Couture and Hertl got hurt but it seems to havd motivated the other veterans and the young guys brought in have been maximizing their opportunity. We just beat Calgary and Edmonton in Alberta and looked uncharacteristically tough and intense.

I don't know who you guys have in Tucson but sitting Kessel and maybe Stepan and bringing in fresh blood, tough and motivated, seems to be your best option. If that's not done Tocchet and Chayko should go.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
After this road trip we have I think 22 games remaining. Putting a kid in now, and expect production could be wishful thinking. Hayton should have been developed during the year, so at this time of year his play is helping the team. At this time of year there is no room for experimenting with young kids, that's for the first part of the year. IF they play Hayton regularly, and he produces, all I can say is hats off to the kid.
There is a bunch of stuff you can do off the ice to develop a prospect at the NHL. None of that makes sense if the plan is to not eventually play him. I’m not expecting a PPG production at this point but I do think he needs to create chances and opportunities for offense.

I don’t know how to grade Haytons development at this point. Things looked extremely positive at the WJC against his peers. to simply say they mishandled “everything” is an extreme position that I don’t think fully represents the work that has been going on behind the scenes. He does need to play now though. This is where we need to see flashes of what made him a top 5 pick.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who knows what they are thinking, but Hayton has played 14 NHL games, the others don't mean crap.Hell he might sit for the majority of the games we have left.
Sorry but this is a stupid comment. Of course his WJC and AHL games matter. He’s 20. Those are huge games for his development.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Kessel not shooting and not taking passes cleanly is a classic case of lost confidence. It's a better problem to have than laziness. He'll get through it if he keeps skating.
Agreed, but who'da ever thunk Phil Kessel would lose confidence?

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
There is a bunch of stuff you can do off the ice to develop a prospect at the NHL. None of that makes sense if the plan is to not eventually play him. I’m not expecting a PPG production at this point but I do think he needs to create chances and opportunities for offense.

I don’t know how to grade Haytons development at this point. Things looked extremely positive at the WJC against his peers. to simply say they mishandled “everything” is an extreme position that I don’t think fully represents the work that has been going on behind the scenes. He does need to play now though. This is where we need to see flashes of what made him a top 5 pick.
I agree with this. Hayton is a big part of our future. Being in a wild card and playoff race and playing significantly is vital for both now and later. He needs to be in there.

Reactions: PuckLife

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So for those that would have him play down the stretch, who would come out? Seems like he doesn't really fit with Soderberg, Richardson and Fischer. Do one of them come out and Crouse goes to the fourth line?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
So for those that would have him play down the stretch, who would come out? Seems like he doesn't really fit with Soderberg, Richardson and Fischer. Do one of them come out and Crouse goes to the fourth line?
Take Richardson out, bump Soderberg to the 4th line.

I want to see

Hall/Dvo/Garland
Keller/Hayton/Schmaltz

Play musical chairs with the bottom 6.

Reactions: AKL

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hall - Hayton - Garland
Keller - Dvorak - Schmaltz
Crouse - Soderberg - Fischer
Vinnie - Stepan - Richardson

Reactions: Name Nameless

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I wouldn't saddle poor Hayton with these boat anchors. 5 points combined in the last 12 games.

He'd be better off with Crouse and Fischer who at least skate.
My hope is that he could get them trying again. Give it two games, if it doesn't work try something else. I like the idea of Crouse on his line too. Maybe Crouse/Hayton/Kessel and see if Kessel can do something with him. We need Keller/Schmaltz/Kessel producing asap.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Raanta would get hurt just by being waived. Poor dude is cursed!

Well I probably should’ve said something during the Canes game.

there was one save he made during the second where afterwards I noticed he was grasping at his leg and kinda shaking it off. Left leg. I told my brother it looked like he was hurt, but he finished the game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hall - Hayton - Garland
Keller - Dvorak - Schmaltz
Crouse - Soderberg - Fischer
Vinnie - Stepan - Richardson
I don't see them putting Hayton on the first line having played so little this year. That is why it was important for him to get ice time earlier in the year, but RT likes his vets. Putting Hayton on that line, the only line that is worth a damn, is risky. Once we drop out of the race would be a different story.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So I don't see a thread discussing the tampering charges against the Coyotes. This could be HUGE news. TSN reporting 20+ cases of the Coyotes illegally testing draft prospects. Talk of $250,000 fine per incident. Another possibility is the league taking away draft picks from the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad