Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm fairly convinced any team that goes into a rebuild should not even remotely consider exiting said rebuild until they have a legit 1C who is actually playing like in real NHL games.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Surfshop

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Krueger is German.

They would ask for Soderstrom ++++++

Oh thanks for the info, didn’t realize. Didn’t he have some affiliation with Sweden though? Like coach their national team a couple times or something?

We’ve seen the disgruntled player thing play out before, and the team trading the disgruntled player usually gets the shaft. Hard to get full value on a player when you know he wants out, and if you keep him around too long waiting for a perfect deal the situation gets increasingly toxic.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Oh thanks for the info, didn’t realize. Didn’t he have some affiliation with Sweden though? Like coach their national team a couple times or something?

We’ve seen the disgruntled player thing play out before, and the team trading the disgruntled player usually gets the shaft. Hard to get full value on a player when you know he wants out, and if you keep him around too long waiting for a perfect deal the situation gets increasingly toxic.

I don't think Eichel would consider the Coyotes an upgrade on Buffalo. Hard truth. Similar situation to Hall. Eichel's NMC hasn't kicked in yet though.

Krueger coached the Swiss national team and in Austria before coming to the NHL.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I don't think Eichel would consider the Coyotes an upgrade on Buffalo. Hard truth. Similar situation to Hall. Eichel's NMC hasn't kicked in yet though.

Krueger coached the Swiss national team and in Austria before coming to the NHL.

Weird. I don’t know who it is I’m thinking of then...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The UFA crop this summer sucks. Would it be worth it to retain salary on Stepan just to be rid of him? I think someone would take Goligoski at full price. Maybe for a 3rd at the draft? Could we dupe Guerin into taking both hometown guys? Maybe take Rask back and buy him out or something? Kessel+Stepan+Goligoski for Zuccarello. Haha. They can have all of their native sons back. :)

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The UFA crop this summer sucks. Would it be worth it to retain salary on Stepan just to be rid of him? I think someone would take Goligoski at full price. Maybe for a 3rd at the draft? Could we dupe Guerin into taking both hometown guys? Maybe take Rask back and buy him out or something? Kessel+Stepan+Goligoski for Zuccarello. Haha. They can have all of their native sons back. :)
I think it would not be worth trying to get rid of Stepan unless the receiving team is some one like Ottawa who is actually trying to take on salary. Almost every other team is likely to be asking for more assets than we want to part along with Stepan. I think at this point, you just accept his salary is high and put him in as a 4th line center. Richardson and Söderberg both expire this offseason, so you are going to want some center depth in the offseason. Just keeping him and letting those two walk would be fine in my opinion. That gives you Dvorak, Schmaltz/Hayton, ?, and Stepan for center depth. If you want you can resign one of Richardson or Söderberg (alt 148 by the way) for the third/fourth line center to complement Stepan.

I think you're losing too great of an asset for Stepan when you yourself claim the UFA crop sucks. It's not like you need him gone in the summer. You could wait another year and not lose anything, or perhaps deal him during the season. I also hold that there is a slim possibility that Stepan could resign at a much lower rate and play the role Richardson has been playing for beyond his current contract. He's defensively responsible, about the only thing you really ask for on that fourth line.

With regards to Goligoski I think the argument is similar, but not as strong. With Söderstrom highly likely to make the team next season, that makes it some amalgamation of Demers, Lyubuskin, Goligoski, and Söderstrom. I know Goligoski is frequently the victim of lapses on defense when goals are given up, or committing turnovers in bad places, but I think it's partly due to him being asked to shoulder the load for offensive production from that position more than any one else on the team. He's put in situations where failure results in an egregious chances against. Demers and Lyubuskin really never offer that offense. By moving Goligoski this offseason, I think you're asking for a void on offensive production from RD until Söderstrom finds his place. I don't know if it's in the plans to have a puck mover/offensive D and a stay-at-home D on each pairing, but that could assuage things there. Still, who is going to want him without some additional asset or a swap of their own problem child. He'll have one more year.

Anyway, generally, unless you are finding a phenomenal offer for them, it's going to cost something we don't want to give up when we could just wait a year. I think if anything, we are going to trade Grabner and potentially not offer some RFAs or trade them. We won't find out until a direction with Hall occurs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it would not be worth trying to get rid of Stepan unless the receiving team is some one like Ottawa who is actually trying to take on salary. Almost every other team is likely to be asking for more assets than we want to part along with Stepan. I think at this point, you just accept his salary is high and put him in as a 4th line center. Richardson and Söderberg both expire this offseason, so you are going to want some center depth in the offseason. Just keeping him and letting those two walk would be fine in my opinion. That gives you Dvorak, Schmaltz/Hayton, ?, and Stepan for center depth. If you want you can resign one of Richardson or Söderberg (alt 148 by the way) for the third/fourth line center to complement Stepan.

I think you're losing too great of an asset for Stepan when you yourself claim the UFA crop sucks. It's not like you need him gone in the summer. You could wait another year and not lose anything, or perhaps deal him during the season. I also hold that there is a slim possibility that Stepan could resign at a much lower rate and play the role Richardson has been playing for beyond his current contract. He's defensively responsible, about the only thing you really ask for on that fourth line.

With regards to Goligoski I think the argument is similar, but not as strong. With Söderstrom highly likely to make the team next season, that makes it some amalgamation of Demers, Lyubuskin, Goligoski, and Söderstrom. I know Goligoski is frequently the victim of lapses on defense when goals are given up, or committing turnovers in bad places, but I think it's partly due to him being asked to shoulder the load for offensive production from that position more than any one else on the team. He's put in situations where failure results in an egregious chances against. Demers and Lyubuskin really never offer that offense. By moving Goligoski this offseason, I think you're asking for a void on offensive production from RD until Söderstrom finds his place. I don't know if it's in the plans to have a puck mover/offensive D and a stay-at-home D on each pairing, but that could assuage things there. Still, who is going to want him without some additional asset or a swap of their own problem child. He'll have one more year.

Anyway, generally, unless you are finding a phenomenal offer for them, it's going to cost something we don't want to give up when we could just wait a year. I think if anything, we are going to trade Grabner and potentially not offer some RFAs or trade them. We won't find out until a direction with Hall occurs.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think those two will be back regardless of who is coaching. Man, does our C strength suck. I don't think our D is as good as most around here claim.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
For those who keep pushing Ottawa for Stepan, have you ever watched the Senators play? They might not be winning this year but they are a fast skating team. Stepan fits that lineup like a square peg in a round hole. I suppose anything is possible but I don't see them wanting a slow player, it just doesn't fit with their hard skating young core. And it certainly wouldn't be for the Leadership.

DancinLarry

Oct 3, 2013
Rangers fan with a goaltending question: now that Kuemper is back will he be getting most of the load here on out? Was riding Raanta in fantasy, but not sure of the implications.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Rask or Jenner seem like the best options for Stepan, but we can figure out the movement of UFAs and see if there is a team or two like Ottawa that are desperate to bring salary in...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Let's just get Anderson

Wennberg 4.9x3yr
Anderson RFA

Stepan @75% 5Mx1yr
Hinostroza RFA
+ Basically anything they want

Stepan and Wennberg are just change of scenery guys. No real value to either because of their contracts. Wennberg is obviously not a Torts guy. We take on a longer-term deal to offset the cost of Anderson.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Let's just get Anderson

Wennberg 4.9x3yr
Anderson RFA

Stepan @75% 5Mx1yr
Hinostroza RFA
+ Basically anything they want

Stepan and Wennberg are just change of scenery guys. No real value to either because of their contracts. Wennberg is obviously not a Torts guy. We take on a longer-term deal to offset the cost of Anderson.
I was trying to figure out the same deal last night. The biggest issue is Wennberg's term. Loved him in his draft year and he could come here, rip it up and earn every bit of that contract but if he doesn't.... That's a long time for a team that needs to win some hockey games and is sitting at the cap. Also the question of Anderson and how much of this season could be just a byproduct of injuries comes into play. Columbus isn't cap strapped so Wennberg isn't a burden on their cap. These factors definitely determine how motivated they might be to make this deal. I feel like the plus needs to be more than we would want to pay for the pair when you take all the elements into consideration.

rt

May 13, 2004
Assuming Hall walks...

OEL for RyJo and then give Barrie the money and term OEL has remaining. Then go find new homes for Stepan and Goligoski. Move Fischer and/or Hinostroza to be rid of them if you have to.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If we can ditch Goli somehow then adding Barrie's isn't a net negative in my mind.

Also, a retool adding Anderson types is just what we need

rt

May 13, 2004
If we can ditch Goli somehow then adding Barrie's isn't a net negative in my mind.

Also, a retool adding Anderson types is just what we need
We miss the playoffs. We win the 1st overall pick by pure magic and the Taylor Hall curse. His girlfriend makes him re-sign here and he takes an 8 year deal to stay in Scottsdale forever. Double miracle:

Hall-Dvorak-Garland
Lafreniere-Hayton-Schmaltz
Keller-SomeCheapC-Kessel
Crouse-ACoupla-FourthLiners

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Can't lie that I've lost passion for this team. Losses are bothering me less, wins don't get me as pumped as they used to. I feel burnt out by it all to be honest. I mean it's almost been a decade. Everyone around us gets better every year and yet we still have the same woes we did 7-8 years ago.

This season has been a pretty big breaking point. Blowing our load for Taylor Hall was scary, but I was also the most excited I've been as a Coyotes fan in many, many years. Seeing our playoff chances circle the drain knowing that Hall's era as a Coyote has been wasted is pretty defeating. At this point it seems the only hope we have is that we somehow keep the Taylor Hall streak alive and somehow end up with the 1OA pick in the lottery. Slim chance.

So now we head into the final stretch of the season with a huge mountain to climb, slumping players, injuries, and a soft team. With how things are trending, we will enter the offseason watching other teams in the playoffs again, but this time remembering that not only do we not have the draft to look forward to, but that just a month later we will see the best player to put on a Coyotes sweater in many years leave us via free agency.

It's going to be a tough stretch of months to be a Coyotes fan, but that's usually pretty expected. 8 years in a row without playoffs.

YouTube TV just cancelled Fox Sports Arizona as of today so maybe it will be easier to not try and scramble to find a provider that will show the remaining games. It was a fun ride there for a bit but I really can't find the motivation to obsess over this team right now. If we somehow go on a miracle run and make the playoffs I'll be back to chop it up with you guys but my own negativity mixed with yours truly makes me kind of bitter in the outside world sometimes and I realize how pathetic and juvenile that is :laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Can't lie that I've lost passion for this team. Losses are bothering me less, wins don't get me as pumped as they used to. I feel burnt out by it all to be honest. I mean it's almost been a decade. Everyone around us gets better every year and yet we still have the same woes we did 7-8 years ago.

This season has been a pretty big breaking point. Blowing our load for Taylor Hall was scary, but I was also the most excited I've been as a Coyotes fan in many, many years. Seeing our playoff chances circle the drain knowing that Hall's era as a Coyote has been wasted is pretty defeating. At this point it seems the only hope we have is that we somehow keep the Taylor Hall streak alive and somehow end up with the 1OA pick in the lottery. Slim chance.

So now we head into the final stretch of the season with a huge mountain to climb, slumping players, injuries, and a soft team. With how things are trending, we will enter the offseason watching other teams in the playoffs again, but this time remembering that not only do we not have the draft to look forward to, but that just a month later we will see the best player to put on a Coyotes sweater in many years leave us via free agency.

It's going to be a tough stretch of months to be a Coyotes fan, but that's usually pretty expected. 8 years in a row without playoffs.

YouTube TV just cancelled Fox Sports Arizona as of today so maybe it will be easier to not try and scramble to find a provider that will show the remaining games. It was a fun ride there for a bit but I really can't find the motivation to obsess over this team right now. If we somehow go on a miracle run and make the playoffs I'll be back to chop it up with you guys but my own negativity mixed with yours truly makes me kind of bitter in the outside world sometimes and I realize how pathetic and juvenile that is :laugh:

I'm right there with you, man. I think I'm gonna wait and see what Chayka does at the draft and in UFA before I give up completely, but I don't know that I've ever been more happy than right now that I didn't buy that STH package I was considering at the start of the year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Johansen is not the solution. He's just another in the "not quite a 1C, but almost" category ala what Stepan was a few years ago.

When you are fishing around with trade ammo equivalent of monopoly money, Ryjo is a good enough get.

Reactions: rt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad