Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Trade Keller, Kessel, Stepan, Goligoski and Ekman-Larsson (no longer OEL in ny opinion, that guy was good) for between a 5th rounder and 7th each. Trade all of those picks for a 2nd. Trade 2 2nds for a first. Take the money saved and sign Hall (of course I know he won't re-sign, let me dream), one other top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man. Fire all coaches, hire Gallant and let him hire his own assistants.

Sounds easy.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Upsetting couple of games. Refuse to join the panicking and exaggerations, though. I still believe we will squeeze into playoffs, and I think that extra contract year together with playing for a somewhat competitive team will be just enough to persuade Hall to sign in AZ. The future for this franchise is still brighter than it has been for a long time.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Upsetting couple of games. Refuse to join the panicking and exaggerations, though. I still believe we will squeeze into playoffs, and I think that extra contract year together with playing for a somewhat competitive team will be just enough to persuade Hall to sign in AZ. The future for this franchise is still brighter than it has been for a long time.

That's the silver lining, so far. Even with this long stretch of bad results the Yotes still have a chance to make the playoffs. But they HAVE to play better and string some wins together. I think most here just want to make sure they get into the playoffs because they pretty much have to at this point.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
The next time the Coyotes have a PP I would love to see the following, but I know I won’t.

Stepan takes the draw and then moves to his strong side of the half wall(would say Dvo but he would be on his weak side as a lefty)...Hall is on the other side. Crouse is in front of the net screening every shot. Kessel and Chychrun are your trigger men from the point. Nothing but shots shots shots with as much deception as possible from Kessel, Chychrun and Hall with Crouse being a monster in front. How could you not try it once? How could it be any worse than the garbage we see night in night out on this PP? Or maybe their solution is to “just keep plugging away at it,” and trot out the same ineffective group every PP.

Reactions: Surfshop

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Couple of games? They’ve got five wins in the fifteen games they’ve played since December 23rd.

I will double check later, but I have to imagine they’re the 2nd worst team in the NHL since 12-23-19.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Couple of games? They’ve got five wins in the fifteen games they’ve played since December 23rd.

I will double check later, but I have to imagine they’re the 2nd worst team in the NHL since 12-23-19.
Couple of games since the ducks and kings are teams we should beat. That's not saying I'm happy with our record. We're obviously a super streaky team. We were a top team early in the season and has been a bottom team for the past 15. I don't believe we are neither. I expect us to be in the middle of the league when it's all said and done.

I think Chayka has to at least consider making a coaching change, since there's decent replacements available, and tocchet doesn't seem to be able to reach out to the players. But acting like we have to blow everything up and start anew when we're in a wild card position is imo exaggerating. Management has done a nice job lifting this franchise out of the gutter.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig Morgan pointed out this morning that in 2011-12 the Coyotes had a dismal January like the one now. Then they took off all the way to the WCF.

Not too much different than what the Blues did last year winning the cup from dead last on January 3rd.

Until we’re actually eliminated there’s still a good chance we get to at least the first round. I would be content with that.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Any update on Kuemper? I know he's not going to magically make Keller score goals or Kessel skate harder. But he could make one extra save per game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Trade Keller, Kessel, Stepan, Goligoski and Ekman-Larsson (no longer OEL in ny opinion, that guy was good) for between a 5th rounder and 7th each. Trade all of those picks for a 2nd. Trade 2 2nds for a first. Take the money saved and sign Hall (of course I know he won't re-sign, let me dream), one other top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man. Fire all coaches, hire Gallant and let him hire his own assistants.

Sounds easy.
This is a good post and I agree with it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm as frustrated with the team as anyone, but I wouldn't give up on Keller too soon. I mean haven't we learned from our own mistakes about trading young guys? Domi broke out year four, Duclair is now too.

Goligoski and Stepan need to go. OEL should be moved if the offer is right, otherwise give him another year, let Chychrun start taking his minutes if he continues to play like this.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How close is Kuemper? Raanta is cautious and trash and Hill isn't ready for this workload.

How the hell are we possibly going to offload Raanta this summer without having to attach a pretty good asset to do it?

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Christian Fischer is pretty much invisible. Why not bring up someone from Tuscson. Probably couldn't be any worse. Maybe Bunting if you want to add some grit or Burke who brings speed and a scoring touch.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
The **** are they seeing that Raanta is getting the start over Hill?

Nothing but a healthy Darcy will save this team. But, Hill should have saved all three goals last night...all three. He is late on his reads and can’t get in the correct position quick enough. Unfortunately I don’t even know if he’s ready to assume a full time backup role if we traded Raanta. I’d rather give Prosvetov a shot because his numbers are insane for someone his age in the AHL and he has some swagger to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghostface Keller

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But, Hill should have saved all three goals last night...all three

Nope.

- One timer from the faceoff dot
- Uncovered roof job from nearly the same spot from a cross ice pass
- Quick shot off a cross ice pass

None of these favor the goalie in any way and Kuemper likely would not have fared any better. As long as the Coyotes continue to hand out quality scoring chances like candy, they'll lose.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Nope.

None of these favor the goalie in any way and Kuemper likely would not have fared any better. As long as the Coyotes continue to hand out quality scoring chances like candy, they'll lose.

The only one I would even consider giving him a pass on is the OT goal. If you watch the replay of the first goal, Hill is too late reading the play. He should have been better with his puck tracking and reading that play quick enough to get out far enough to challenge the shooter...instead he realizes he’s late getting there, flops his arms down to his sides and looks defeated with no chance of making a save.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Nope.

The only one I would even consider giving him a pass on is the OT goal. If you watch the replay of the first goal, Hill is too late reading the play. He should have been better with his puck tracking and reading that play quick enough to get out far enough to challenge the shooter...instead he realizes he’s late getting there, flops his arms down to his sides and looks defeated with no chance of making a save.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

The OT goal was nearly the same type attempt as the one Campbell stopped on Hall.

Anyone who follows Cat Silverman on Twitter would have seen her comment on Hill about it.

Hill still has trouble moving side to side quickly. There were times in the third where he was flopping around like a fish and if it hadn’t been for a couple of breaks going our way the game never gets to OT to begin with.

Raanta’s last outing wasn’t that bad either. Like xx said above, we’re hanging our goalies out to dry right now.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
The OT goal was nearly the same type attempt as the one Campbell stopped on Hall.

Anyone who follows Cat Silverman on Twitter would have seen her comment on Hill about it.

Hill still has trouble moving side to side quickly. There were times in the third where he was flopping around like a fish and if it hadn’t been for a couple of breaks going our way the game never gets to OT to begin with.

Raanta’s last outing wasn’t that bad either. Like xx said above, we’re hanging our goalies out to dry right now.

We are in agreement there - they are definitely hanging them out to dry more than early in the year. But Kuemps makes those saves. That first goal I was talking about specifically, Kuemps reads that play, gets to the top of his crease to cut off the angle and probably makes that save look routine even though it was in a high danger area. The coverage has to be better, but goaltending is definitely costing us points lately too.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Watch the 1st goal, pausing frame by frame. Hill is tracking the puck just fine, but was probably shocked that a nothing special pass went through 3 of his defenders for a quality shot against:

2nd goal, Hill is in excellent position to challenge the shot but Iafallo just picks the corner. You can't expect him to come out any further, especially with a flailing Crouse in his way. Great shot:

I think people significantly underestimate the amount of saves that are just playing the percentages/guesses that goalies come up with. All defenses generally revolve around limiting these chances against, but the Coyotes are just giving them away. The 2nd goal against especially is a really sorry ass defensive breakdown that shouldn't happen.

At any rate, Hill has stats that are closer to Kuemper, including high danger chances. Raanta is really the one struggling (and so is the team in front of him).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We are in agreement there - they are definitely hanging them out to dry more than early in the year. But Kuemps makes those saves. That first goal I was talking about specifically, Kuemps reads that play, gets to the top of his crease to cut off the angle and probably makes that save look routine even though it was in a high danger area. The coverage has to be better, but goaltending is definitely costing us points lately too.
Our goalies have been hung out to dry all year, just that earlier in the year they were making the saves. We just need Raanta to steal a game to get our confidence back.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
The OEL situation is right up there as possibly the most disappointing development thus far this season for me. His seemingly not bouncing back to even begin to approach his previous level has been pretty heartbreaking. A player that appeared a cornerstone building block for the team going forward, who now appears very very average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad