Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Have a feeling we're looking hard at Hoffman. We need another trigger-man and we had reported interest in him last year. Would be a nice if we can get him here for a run and hope to re-sign one of him or Hall. He would be a nice consolation signing if Hall walks.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Who's your source? ;)

Really can't see them moving Hall as long as they are in the race. Even if they know 100% that he won't re-sign.

Take it from people with experience..... Eklund is a professional clickbaiter. Everything he does is about generating visits to his website.

His Coyotes blogger is a guy living in Toronto who spends more time talking about cool guitar riffs and other crap. Anytime he shows up on Twitter with one of his hot takess he gets torched.

Reactions: hbk and DOTS13

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Have a feeling we're looking hard at Hoffman. We need another trigger-man and we had reported interest in him last year. Would be a nice if we can get him here for a run and hope to re-sign one of him or Hall. He would be a nice consolation signing if Hall walks.
Well, we don’t have a 1st or a 3rd. So that 2nd seems near and dear at this point. Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd are spoken for next year as part of the New Jersey condition. So they’re out. I don’t want to trade Hayton, Soderstrom, Jenik, or Maccelli. So what does that leave?

Reactions: Jakey53

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Well, we don’t have a 1st or a 3rd. So that 2nd seems near and dear at this point. Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd are spoken for next year as part of the New Jersey condition. So they’re out. I don’t want to trade Hayton, Soderstrom, Jenik, or Maccelli. So what does that leave?

Not sure to be honest. Could be a hockey trade. I just have the feeling. Have had it for a while. Or maybe we're just scouting the shit out of him in case we plan to try and sign him this summer (again, if that money isn't used to sign Hall)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So they aren't selling but would be willing to take someone's overpayment.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Hall on Move Again? Isles/Yotes Talking(e4) Jets and Vatanen(e3) Tues Buzz

Was this already talked about today on here? Anybody take any stock in this Eklund reporter?

I look at it as two Y or N answers to the questions:

a) are the Coyotes making the playoffs?
b) is Hall re-signing with the team?

I think trading Hall is taking the 2nd question and making that the priority, which could be independent of the Coyotes making the playoffs (e.g. Arizona trades Hall because he doesn't want to re-sign, but remains a playoff team after trading him).

I would like to believe that the strength of adding Hall makes us a better contender for the playoffs, so why trade someone who won't resign if you are in a playoff position in the first place? Having Hall as a piece to any sort of run in the playoffs should only increase his odds of staying, no?

I think that this discussion is Eklund reporting on the "doomsday" scenario that the Islanders were discussing with Arizona. Like, somehow, the team has a case of coronavirus and has to forfeit the next 9 games doomsday (whatever the equivalent of playing yourself out of the playoffs and far enough behind the 9/10/11 teams that you do not see the playoffs occurring). Only if we fell off a cliff, would we entertain the thought, so put the pieces together. But, in the meantime, as the games go on, getting 2 points against Edmonton pushes that further back.

Reactions: DOTS13

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Predicting the future is a risky business, but I'm going to make a few:
1. Tocc won't be fired during this season
2. Hall won't be traded at the TDL
3. If Hall signs with us, it will be after the season

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Predicting the future is a risky business, but I'm going to make a few:
1. Tocc won't be fired during this season
2. Hall won't be traded at the TDL
3. If Hall signs with us, it will be after the season
Aren't you brave.:)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Dvo has 32 points with 15 goals. I brought this up before but thought it may be worth to bring it up again.

He is 18 points away from 50, 5 goals away from 20. Is a 20 goal, 50 point season enough to consider him a bonafide 2C? Especially if he has been playing on the top line most of the season and the second half with Hall? I almost would like to see him pass 50 points because of this. What of he doesn't hit 50 points? Is about 18g, 45 points 2C production? What does Dvo need to do production wise rest of season for you to consider him a 2C?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I want to sign hall. That’s really all I care about. That and actually making the playoffs because it’s absolutely electric at the whiteouts.

if we can do both, I’ll be happy. Need to somehow find a way to dump Kessel. I’ve seen enough of him. Keller needs to hit the gym with Chychrun and grow a set of nuts.

rt

May 13, 2004
Dvo has 32 points with 15 goals. I brought this up before but thought it may be worth to bring it up again.

He is 18 points away from 50, 5 goals away from 20. Is a 20 goal, 50 point season enough to consider him a bonafide 2C? Especially if he has been playing on the top line most of the season and the second half with Hall? I almost would like to see him pass 50 points because of this. What of he doesn't hit 50 points? Is about 18g, 45 points 2C production? What does Dvo need to do production wise rest of season for you to consider him a 2C?
I think we have to look at it relative to his teammates, unfortunately. He’s 4th in points per game with 0.58. This is just 0.02 behind the 3rd place Keller who has 0.60 points per game.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I think we have to look at it relative to his teammates, unfortunately. He’s 4th in points per game with 0.58. This is just 0.02 behind the 3rd place Keller who has 0.60 points per game.
I think the situation with Dvo is very relative. Specifically I think he might rate a premium as the only viable top 6 C on the roster. I think finding another needs to be a significant priority as it potentially unlocks Keller/Kessel/Schmaltz. I'd love to see GMJC move Schmaltz for a comparable talent-wise 2C, but the only one I can't think of off the top of my head that might be available would be a Pageau type?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

So what is the average PPG that 2C's put up? I may crank some numbers later. I'm tired of having to bake in a "Coyotes floor and cieling" on players production. Stepan carried career averages when he first got here, Hall has a pretty good PPG on the team. Even Riberio looked great for a couple months so I don't think there is some magical thing that happens to player production in AZ. We should be able to develop players that put up league average numbers for their respected role on the team. Is it truly a lack of talent still?C system issues? If Dvo puts up 50 this year I will feel much better about where the organization is going.

rt

May 13, 2004
So what is the average PPG that 2C's put up? I may crank some numbers later. I'm tired of having to bake in a "Coyotes floor and cieling" on players production. Stepan carried career averages when he first got here, Hall has a pretty good PPG on the team. Even Riberio looked great for a couple months so I don't think there is some magical thing that happens to player production in AZ. We should be able to develop players that put up league average numbers for their respected role on the team. Is it truly a lack of talent still?C system issues? If Dvo puts up 50 this year I will feel much better about where the organization is going.
If we use NHL.com as our guide (which we probably shouldn't because it has terribly outdated postional assignments like LW, RW, C for players):
32nd ranked "Center" last season was Elias Pettersson with 66pts. They 63rd ranked "Center" was Adam Henrique with 42pts.

But I mean, they have Galchenyuk and Kerfoot and JT Miller and Ryan Dzingel and Gustav Nyquist and a bunch of other obvious wingers mixed in there.

If you filter out rookies, and add a >50gp filter, and go by pts/gp you have:
Ryan Nugent Hopkins at 32nd with 0.84 and Travis Zajac at 62nd with 0.57ppg.

Dvorak is currently 0.58ppg. So that's about the bottom of the barrel for 2Cs in the NHL, I guess. If you change the GP requirement to >20 and leave all the other filters the same for this season, Dvorak ranks 59th among "centers"

Reactions: Grimes

MayDayMayDay

Out here doing time bandit shit...
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Buffalo doing a complete rebuild? Otherwise they are going to want/need a 1C coming back, no?
Jack demanding a trade because of BUF management's ineptitude to provide him any productive support five years into his career would trigger a retool overnight.

No way management is thinking about moving him. Botterill & Co. along with much of the fan base are preaching patience. But patience is clearly running thin for fans and for Jack. He wears his heart on his sleeve and has not minced words with respect to his frustration. If and when Buffalo misses the playoffs again, Jack is going to have some time to reflect, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he decides he wants out.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If we use NHL.com as our guide (which we probably shouldn't because it has terribly outdated postional assignments like LW, RW, C for players):
32nd ranked "Center" last season was Elias Pettersson with 66pts. They 63rd ranked "Center" was Adam Henrique with 42pts.

But I mean, they have Galchenyuk and Kerfoot and JT Miller and Ryan Dzingel and Gustav Nyquist and a bunch of other obvious wingers mixed in there.

If you filter out rookies, and add a >50gp filter, and go by pts/gp you have:
Ryan Nugent Hopkins at 32nd with 0.84 and Travis Zajac at 62nd with 0.57ppg.

Dvorak is currently 0.58ppg. So that's about the bottom of the barrel for 2Cs in the NHL, I guess. If you change the GP requirement to >20 and leave all the other filters the same for this season, Dvorak ranks 59th among "centers"

I am actually pleasantly surprised by this. Would love to see him get to the middle of the pack for 2C's or not fall out of the top 62 centers but this is encouraging.

rt

May 13, 2004
Question is whether we see Barrett Hayton ever being a consistent 70pt center. I’m not sure I see it.

I do think Dvorak has a little more upside left in him. He needs some added consistency and he strikes me as a player who can find that. With increased consistency, I think his totals improve. He showed elite offense skills in the OHL to you along with his all-around game. Would not be shocked if he clicked into this higher gear more consistently in the future.

If he can be a 55pt guy and Hayton a 65pt guy, both with solid all around games and leadership ability, that might be good enough for a while.

Maybe a poor man’s Bergeron or O’Reilly type player? Or Couturier or Horvat style?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Question is whether we see Barrett Hayton ever being a consistent 70pt center. I’m not sure I see it.

I do think Dvorak has a little more upside left in him. He needs some added consistency and he strikes me as a player who can find that. With increased consistency, I think his totals improve. He showed elite offense skills in the OHL to you along with his all-around game. Would not be shocked if he clicked into this higher gear more consistently in the future.

If he can be a 55pt guy and Hayton a 65pt guy, both with solid all around games and leadership ability, that might be good enough for a while.

Maybe a poor man’s Bergeron or O’Reilly type player? Or Couturier or Horvat style?

Yeah this would be a pretty decent situation. Build around defense and goaltending, and with some solid 2-way centers we could look pretty similar to NYR and Wild in the prime. Not the flashiest type of team, but one that can win for many years. LA Kings were pretty similar, but had a Kopitar to really put them over the edge.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
LeBrun floated Grabner's name back to NYI. I could see that. I don't know what happened but it's clearly not working here anymore. We need to cut cap too and he can be replaced at a fraction of the cost.

Reactions: Heldig
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->