OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
COVID-19 is not influenza - The Lancet Respiratory Medicine

COVID-19 is not influenza: In-hospital mortality was 16.9% with COVID-19 and 5,8% with influenza. Mortality was ten-times higher in children aged 11–17 years with COVID-19 than in patients in the same age group with influenza.

COVID-19 is definitely worse than the flu, no arguing that. Even if the observed mortality being 10x that of the flu for that age bracket, it’s still an incredibly low number. Hence why nobody within that age bracket has died of COVID-19 in Minnesota.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
The woman they interviewed said kids were passing out on the ice because of these masks and breathing issues. Nope, nothing to see here. Who gives a **** about their well-being.
can you post an article, because all the articles I see about kids passing out don't have an evidence that it happening? All the stuff is from parents and nothing from schools or coaching staff. The survey I see referenced in a MSN article has virtually no input from coaches and just a little bit more from student athletics. Don't you think the survey should be asking them at a higher rate than the parents? Call me crazy, but I think the parents might have an axe to grind.

I just want to read up about it since it this is happening I think a news organization would've interviewed the family and kid. My cousin coaches hockey and their players haven't come close to passing out. I'm not going to lie and say they don't notice a difference from not wearing a mask, but they haven't had issues. Most of the complaints have came form parents(sitting in stands) in his experience.

Edit: I'm going to take Talon's suggestion and not divulge this into a mask debate. So this is the last I will say of it.

Last edited:

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
The woman they interviewed said kids were passing out on the ice because of these masks and breathing issues. Nope, nothing to see here. Who gives a **** about their well-being.
I call bullshit. I coach with a mask. No problems. Daughter had a game last night, 40 girls going hard. No one suffocated. It’s an inconvenience, for sure, but buck up. Stop being such diaper-babies.

Reactions: Ban Hammered

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
When it rain, it pours; my wife's grandma is on a ventilator and we're anticipating her passing away due to Covid. One of my best friend's just passed away due to Shingles via complications of cancer. I knew she was, but...it's still hard.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sorry to hear that. I am dreading a certain phone call right now- nothing I can do about it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Sorry to hear that. I am dreading a certain phone call right now- nothing I can do about it.

Good luck with yours; we were kind of floored by what happened to grandma. She had a stroke, went into the hospital, caught Covid, they didn't think she'd make it, somehow is stable, but unresponsive now...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
When it rain, it pours; my wife's grandma is on a ventilator and we're anticipating her passing away due to Covid. One of my best friend's just passed away due to Shingles via complications of cancer. I knew she was, but...it's still hard.
Sorry to hear that. Thoughts and prayers. :(

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Does anyone know if the NHL does any sort of antibody testing on their players to determine who already has the COVID antibodies, meaning they were previously infected but are now presumably immune, and those who have not been exposed?

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
same could be said if youre vaccinated. tbh

You're right, and I think for the most part the word immune is probably too strong for wherever we are going to end up with this thing. But then again I don't like to write or talk a lot about this stuff because I just simply don't know.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't know the answer to your question, but you are not necessarily 'immune' if you've had it before.

It can happen, nothing is 100%, but the CDC says it's "rare" for someone to become infected twice with the COVID virus.

I'm a believer in wearing masks, social distancing and everything else.....but at some point here (later this year?) we're going to need to start playing the percentages and accept the risks, or we will never recover.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You're right, and I think for the most part the word immune is probably too strong for wherever we are going to end up with this thing. But then again I don't like to write or talk a lot about this stuff because I just simply don't know.
Most of us don't know, even the experts, though they know a hell of a lot more than we do. The variants from South Africa and Brazil, among others, have thrown a new wrinkle into any assumptions we might have had.

In general, what I am hearing is that the vaccines really help in lessening the severity of this disease. If it becomes like an average flu after getting vaccinated, then that is very good news, and we are well on the way to returning to "normal".

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It can happen, nothing is 100%, but the CDC says it's "rare" for someone to become infected twice with the COVID virus.

I'm a believer in wearing masks, social distancing and everything else.....but at some point here (later this year?) we're going to need to start playing the percentages and accept the risks, or we will never recover.
It's becoming more and more common with the new variants though.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean, it's not like we get the flu once, then never again. Or a common cold, for that matter, which (I believe) Covid more closely resembles.

I could well be wrong, not an expert...who could also be wrong...just less likely to be. I am patiently waiting for my vaccine, and growing my greying hair till it reaches my ass.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Study Confirms It’s Possible to Catch COVID Twice (webmd.com)

study is from last year but you can catch it twice. Luckily at least it sounds like the second time won't be as bad though.

That's the thing. If it can be demonstrated that the mortality rate or severity of illness of the multiple infected falls by a certain factor to put in on par with a typical seasonal flu, then that should be considered an acceptable risk to take by the population at large.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
That's the thing. If it can be demonstrated that the mortality rate or severity of illness of the multiple infected falls by a certain factor to put in on par with a typical seasonal flu, then that should be considered an acceptable risk to take by the population at large.
it is a lot more contiguous than the seasonal flu and currently the flu is being squashed due to social distancing and masks. While you might have a very lower chance(lower than the first time you had it) of dying. I think you can still spread it as easily.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
it is a lot more contiguous than the seasonal flu and currently the flu is being squashed due to social distancing and masks. While you might have a very lower chance(lower than the first time you had it) of dying. I think you can still spread it as easily.

If its just really infectious, but not causing serious illness (beyond the typical flu) or death, then I think we have to live with that.

Glad its not me, but someone in charge is going to have to make a tough decision at some point, because if we don't, the damage to the economy and children's well being is going to outweigh the number of people that die due to COVID.

Personally, my hope is that after all the vulnerable people of vaccinated (65+ age, essential workers and those with medical conditions, etc.), at that point we can start open things up like schools, offices, bars/restaurants without restrictions, concerts, etc.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If its just really infectious, but not causing serious illness (beyond the typical flu) or death, then I think we have to live with that.

Glad its not me, but someone in charge is going to have to make a tough decision at some point, because if we don't, the damage to the economy and children's well being is going to outweigh the number of people that die due to COVID.

Personally, my hope is that after all the vulnerable people of vaccinated (65+ age, essential workers and those with medical conditions, etc.), at that point we can start open things up like schools, offices, bars/restaurants without restrictions, concerts, etc.
We haven't reached near that point yet though. Not enough have had the vaccine, and of those who've had the illness, we're still talking only 21% of the US population having had it. 9.1% have had at least 1 dose of the vaccine.

Not even remotely close enough yet to knock down the hospitalization and mortality rate to levels the health systems can handle without other mitigation in place as of yet.

Looking at late spring/ early summer when the percentages should allow things to go back to normal.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just found out that a neighbour's son just died of Covid. 58 yo and healthy. Caught it, and was dead 3 weeks later. She is heartbroken, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad