OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Discussion in 'Minnesota Wild' started by Wild11MN, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Wild11MN First round losers

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The NBA just suspended the season after a member of the Jazz preliminarily tested positive for the coronavirus. Is the NHL next?

Mod note: Only local interest COVID discussion will be permitted. If you want a more extensive discussion, you should go to the COVID forum.

COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Critique of local government response is permitted, so long as ideological motivation is not part of the discussion. This is not open for partisan politics.

Posts about causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention are no longer allowed unless there is a local component. Otherwise they belong in
    COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Last edited by moderator TaLoN: Jan 1, 2021
  2. Spurgeon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    COVID-19 is definitely worse than the flu, no arguing that. Even if the observed mortality being 10x that of the flu for that age bracket, it’s still an incredibly low number. Hence why nobody within that age bracket has died of COVID-19 in Minnesota.

3. HotDish Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    can you post an article, because all the articles I see about kids passing out don't have an evidence that it happening? All the stuff is from parents and nothing from schools or coaching staff. The survey I see referenced in a MSN article has virtually no input from coaches and just a little bit more from student athletics. Don't you think the survey should be asking them at a higher rate than the parents? Call me crazy, but I think the parents might have an axe to grind.

I just want to read up about it since it this is happening I think a news organization would've interviewed the family and kid. My cousin coaches hockey and their players haven't come close to passing out. I'm not going to lie and say they don't notice a difference from not wearing a mask, but they haven't had issues. Most of the complaints have came form parents(sitting in stands) in his experience.

Edit: I'm going to take Talon's suggestion and not divulge this into a mask debate. So this is the last I will say of it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  4. chchelse Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 778
    I call bullshit. I coach with a mask. No problems. Daughter had a game last night, 40 girls going hard. No one suffocated. It’s an inconvenience, for sure, but buck up. Stop being such diaper-babies.

The Rabid One likes this.
  5. Minnewildsota Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  6. thestonedkoala Everyone! PANIC!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    When it rain, it pours; my wife's grandma is on a ventilator and we're anticipating her passing away due to Covid. One of my best friend's just passed away due to Shingles via complications of cancer. I knew she was, but...it's still hard.

7. 57special HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Sorry to hear that. I am dreading a certain phone call right now- nothing I can do about it.

8. thestonedkoala Everyone! PANIC!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Good luck with yours; we were kind of floored by what happened to grandma. She had a stroke, went into the hospital, caught Covid, they didn't think she'd make it, somehow is stable, but unresponsive now...

9. TaLoN Red 5 standing by

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Sorry to hear that. Thoughts and prayers. :(

10. MuckOG The Brodin Effect

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Does anyone know if the NHL does any sort of antibody testing on their players to determine who already has the COVID antibodies, meaning they were previously infected but are now presumably immune, and those who have not been exposed?

11. Dee Oh Cee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't know the answer to your question, but you are not necessarily 'immune' if you've had it before.

57special likes this.
  12. GuerinUp Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Verizon Wireless
    same could be said if youre vaccinated. tbh

Dee Oh Cee likes this.
  13. Dee Oh Cee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You're right, and I think for the most part the word immune is probably too strong for wherever we are going to end up with this thing. But then again I don't like to write or talk a lot about this stuff because I just simply don't know.

14. MuckOG The Brodin Effect

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It can happen, nothing is 100%, but the CDC says it's "rare" for someone to become infected twice with the COVID virus.

I'm a believer in wearing masks, social distancing and everything else.....but at some point here (later this year?) we're going to need to start playing the percentages and accept the risks, or we will never recover.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  15. 57special HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Most of us don't know, even the experts, though they know a hell of a lot more than we do. The variants from South Africa and Brazil, among others, have thrown a new wrinkle into any assumptions we might have had.

In general, what I am hearing is that the vaccines really help in lessening the severity of this disease. If it becomes like an average flu after getting vaccinated, then that is very good news, and we are well on the way to returning to "normal".

TaLoN likes this.
  16. TaLoN Red 5 standing by

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's becoming more and more common with the new variants though.

17. 57special HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I mean, it's not like we get the flu once, then never again. Or a common cold, for that matter, which (I believe) Covid more closely resembles.

I could well be wrong, not an expert...who could also be wrong...just less likely to be. I am patiently waiting for my vaccine, and growing my greying hair till it reaches my ass.

18. zellmatic Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You have a source on that?

19. HotDish Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    zellmatic likes this.
  20. TaLoN Red 5 standing by

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I suggest you spend some time on the COVID forum, this stuff is being discussed all the time there... here's a post referencing several sources for that.

Vaccine and vaccination thread part III

zellmatic and Victorious Secret like this.
  21. MuckOG The Brodin Effect

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That's the thing. If it can be demonstrated that the mortality rate or severity of illness of the multiple infected falls by a certain factor to put in on par with a typical seasonal flu, then that should be considered an acceptable risk to take by the population at large.

22. HotDish Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    it is a lot more contiguous than the seasonal flu and currently the flu is being squashed due to social distancing and masks. While you might have a very lower chance(lower than the first time you had it) of dying. I think you can still spread it as easily.

23. MuckOG The Brodin Effect

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If its just really infectious, but not causing serious illness (beyond the typical flu) or death, then I think we have to live with that.

Glad its not me, but someone in charge is going to have to make a tough decision at some point, because if we don't, the damage to the economy and children's well being is going to outweigh the number of people that die due to COVID.

Personally, my hope is that after all the vulnerable people of vaccinated (65+ age, essential workers and those with medical conditions, etc.), at that point we can start open things up like schools, offices, bars/restaurants without restrictions, concerts, etc.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  24. TaLoN Red 5 standing by

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    We haven't reached near that point yet though. Not enough have had the vaccine, and of those who've had the illness, we're still talking only 21% of the US population having had it. 9.1% have had at least 1 dose of the vaccine.

Not even remotely close enough yet to knock down the hospitalization and mortality rate to levels the health systems can handle without other mitigation in place as of yet.

Looking at late spring/ early summer when the percentages should allow things to go back to normal.

25. 57special HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Just found out that a neighbour's son just died of Covid. 58 yo and healthy. Caught it, and was dead 3 weeks later. She is heartbroken, of course.

26. Minnewildsota Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Were you close? If so, my condolences