OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Stars cancelled practice today, an announcement is coming from the league on why.

That = covid. Interesting to see if it's one, or an outbreak.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
According to the NHL 27 players on 9 different clubs just tested positive, 17 of them are on the Dallas Stars.

How is this going to end? I have a feeling this season will be a mess of delayed games.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
According to the NHL 27 players on 9 different clubs just tested positive, 17 of them are on the Dallas Stars.

How is this going to end? I have a feeling this season will be a mess of delayed games.
It certainly will be. Look at what's been happening in the European leagues. When I was following Zurich pretty closely, it seemed like over half of their games were postponed

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
NFL seemd to do fine this season. And an NFL roster has far more players on it than an active NHL roster.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That just meant they could replace players easier. There still was postponed games on top of players like Thielen being sidelined with Covid.
Meh... not as easy as you think.

The NHL has a taxi squad to just as easily replace players, and can further call up from the AHL if needed.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Meh... not as easy as you think.

The NHL has a taxi squad to just as easily replace players, and can further call up from the AHL if needed.
Not to mention systems/terminology having much less of an impact on a players ability to play. Much quicker getting upto speed in NHL.

Reactions: TaLoN

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Money is obviously more important than health at this point, but the players also wanted to do this.

It's really stupid and irresponsible though. Players are almost sitting on top of each other in those small locker rooms, they're asking for trouble.

Taxi squad can have a maximum of 6 players, won't help much if the entire team gets infected. Look at the Stars...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Have to dress at home, and come to the rink with your skates and guards on, just like in Termite!

Wasn't there a couple of football games where 3 or 4 of the top QB's were out, and they had some guy from the practice squad play QB? I'm think Wisconsin in college, maybe Denver in the NFL?

Thing is, with football is that they only play 16 games, with correspondingly less travel. We'll see. The worst will certainly be the first part of the season. Hopefully vaccinations will start to have an effect later on.

This is not a great time to be traveling to California, especially southern CA.

I think it's best not to take this year too seriously, and look forward to 2021-22. Some of our prospects like Beckman/Rossi will be having truncated seasons, which will be bound to affect them moving forward. Others, like Boldy/Khovanov/Firstov/Menell, might have dodged a bullet by playing college or KHL

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Money is obviously more important than health at this point, but the players also wanted to do this.

It's really stupid and irresponsible though. Players are almost sitting on top of each other in those small locker rooms, they're asking for trouble.

Taxi squad can have a maximum of 6 players, won't help much if the entire team gets infected. Look at the Stars...
Same as the NFL, they pulled it off with even more players on top of each other, so can the NHL.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

It's irresponsible for a business to resume when the virus has a 99.9998% survivability rate for the age group participating? If there were 10,000 players in the league it would be incredibly unlikely anyone would die if every single player got it. Even 100,000.

When you factor in the players who already had it, who likely have some short term immunity. The percentage of population naturally immune due to exposure to related Corona viruses(estimate to be between 20-50%) the risk is pretty negligible.

Yes, they shouldn't be dining with grandpa and grandma after the game, but there is no reason they can't go forward. Heck, there was a Mumps outbreak pretty specific to the NHL which has as high of a mortality rate, and no one mentioned shutting down.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It's irresponsible for a business to resume when the virus has a 99.9998% survivability rate for the age group participating? If there were 10,000 players in the league it would be incredibly unlikely anyone would die if every single player got it. Even 100,000.

When you factor in the players who already had it, who likely have some short term immunity. The percentage of population naturally immune due to exposure to related Corona viruses(estimate to be between 20-50%) the risk is pretty negligible.

Yes, they shouldn't be dining with grandpa and grandma after the game, but there is no reason they can't go forward. Heck, there was a Mumps outbreak pretty specific to the NHL which has as high of a mortality rate, and no one mentioned shutting down.

1) Mumps has a vaccine
2) We still don't know the long term effects of COVID

But sure, it's no big deal. You must not be familiar how viruses work. The more hosts that it has, the higher probability it has on mutating, which may or may not render the vaccine useless.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Money is obviously more important than health at this point

I don't think it's obvious at all. I think the players just want to play.

It's irresponsible for a business to resume when the virus has a 99.9998% survivability rate for the age group participating?

These are literally the most flawlessly strong and healthy group of people on the planet (NHL players). There is literally not a healthier group of people on the planet than the NHLP.

My goodness, let them play if they want to play. Some people just want everyone to be miserable, just like they are.

Reactions: zellmatic

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Except for the guys who have diabetes, or some other autoimmune conditions, or...at this point we just don't know. While I take your point that most NHL players are unlikely to get hit hard with this, or have long term effects, we just don't know enough about it to say at this point. One thing we do know is that a seemingly heathy(asymptomatic) individual can infect another individual, so there is still an incentive to being careful, unless you simply don't care about others.
Common sense, which seems to have a taken a holiday at times during this epidemic, hopefully will come into play. If a majority of a team tests positive then they will need to be shut down for a while. If it's just a couple, then they will try to isolate, contain, and keep on playing. Hopefully the teams have separate rooms for the players, and enforce distancing among team mates when possible- understand that it might not be while on the bench. Hopefully vaccine shots will come into play by spring, and by fall Covid is a non issue.

Has anyone else got a vaccine shot yet?

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
As I said, it's all about money. Otherwise the league would cancel the entire season. In fact Bettman said the NHL would save a lot of money. But the clubs may end up with financial problems, and the players without pay. Not that I worry about those rich boys.

Top athletes actually have a weaker immune system than other healthy people because of their intense training, this is well known.

An ICU doctor in LA just said they have people in their 20s in there, otherwise healthy but infected by covid and fighting for their lives. So don't tell me it's not dangerous for young people.

Even worse, there's no bubble this time. Players could infect older family members and others outside the rink. So irresponsible.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Even worse, there's no bubble this time. Players could infect older family members and others outside the rink. So irresponsible.

Yet Walmart is open for business for the last 8 months. NHL players will be getting tested like every second. They will probably be the safest environment there is. Nothing irresponsible at all.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
As I said, it's all about money. Otherwise the league would cancel the entire season. In fact Bettman said the NHL would save a lot of money. But the clubs may end up with financial problems, and the players without pay. Not that I worry about those rich boys.

Top athletes actually have a weaker immune system than other healthy people because of their intense training, this is well known.

An ICU doctor in LA just said they have people in their 20s in there, otherwise healthy but infected by covid and fighting for their lives. So don't tell me it's not dangerous for young people.

Healthy people die of things that aren't expected to kill them everyday, it's just a matter of statistics. Here are the numbers reported on this virus in Minnesota. Remember, this is only confirmed cases, there's more unreported cases for each age group (all of which have no deaths attributed to them).

6vMQeB2.png

Young healthy people have practically a 0% chance of being killed from this virus. While, the long-term effects of COVID-19 aren't yet well known, the long-term effects of the vaccine aren't either. Yet I'm sure everyone that's advocating for continued lockdowns are also for getting the vaccine.

Eventually things need to return to some sense of normalcy. The economy is already completely f***ed and the ramifications of that are going to hit anyone <60 a lot harder than COVID would. The government took 8 month to get a second stimulus passed here and that resulted in a measly $600. Sure, there's enhanced unemployment benefits, but those are only going to last so long. Not to mention that this insane spending by the government is only going to continue to devalue the dollar as money continues to be printed. Businesses remain closed and a vast majority of people are going to feel the financial effects of this for a decade, while such a tiny portion will ever have any negative health effects from COVID.

I don't get why elite athletes need to shutdown their business if they're following strict health guidelines. These players aren't being forced to play, any one of them can opt out if they choose. In what ways does them playing have any significant negative effect on COVID-19? I can tell you the one positive thing it does for millions of people is giving them a distraction from the state of hell that the past 10 months has been.

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
One local news outlet recently used a doctor to try out a mask skating, and he said there were no issues (with him) with regard to skating and wearing a mask. Honestly watching the guy skate, my gut tells me he wouldn't have made C pee-wees back in the day, so I don't know that his experience is exactly like the rest of us.

Contrary to that "report", it's been reported that many youth hockey players have had trouble breathing with masks and playing hockey. Will be interesting to see if people can sue the people in charge of this masking ploy if their child collapses and dies because of it. I am betting not.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
One local news outlet recently used a doctor to try out a mask skating, and he said there were no issues (with him) with regard to skating and wearing a mask. Honestly watching the guy skate, my gut tells me he wouldn't have made C pee-wees back in the day, so I don't know that his experience is exactly like the rest of us.

Contrary to that "report", it's been reported that many youth hockey players have had trouble breathing with masks and playing hockey. Will be interesting to see if people can sue the people in charge of this masking ploy if their child collapses and dies because of it. I am betting not.
tumblr_me0masHmhM1r426i4o1_250.gif

seeing that this hasn't happened. I think we are good. The mask are not made of plastic.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
seeing that this hasn't happened. I think we are good. The mask are not made of plastic.

The woman they interviewed said kids were passing out on the ice because of these masks and breathing issues. Nope, nothing to see here. Who gives a **** about their well-being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad