OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
17 yo got his Pfizer shot 2 days ago. No side effects at all, just like me with the Johnson & Johnson.

Reactions: TaLoN

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'll get my 2nd dose of Pfizer tomorrow morning.

I get my second Moderna in 17 days up in St. Cloud. Closest place I could find. Of course, a week after I scheduled my appointment everywhere in Metro started opening up to more people. I used a twitter handle that has been tweeting out what has been available. Thankfully one was at least closeby. Everywhere else was like SW Minnesota.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Myself and everyone in my sphere of influence including my parents will go ahead and pass on the vaccine. I have no issue with anyone who feels the need to take it but I have way too many reservations about so many facets of what went on in the last 14 months to subject myself to it.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
As a person who works developing rapid testing for C19 ( recently published). The only reservation I had getting vaccinated was the effectiveness of the vaccine ( mostly due to the elaborate storage conditions and the fragility of RNA in general) Results to date have been outstanding. This has been a very impressive rollout and a testament to the advancements in modern medicine. The shit we can do today would blow your mind.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
As a person who works developing rapid testing for C19 ( recently published). The only reservation I had getting vaccinated was the effectiveness of the vaccine ( mostly due to the elaborate storage conditions and the fragility of RNA in general) Results to date have been outstanding. This has been a very impressive rollout and a testament to the advancements in modern medicine. The shit we can do today would blow your mind.

Do you work at Mayo? A woman from my small school up north who was a few years younger than me led the team at Mayo developing the first rapid testing or something along those lines I believe.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Do you work at Mayo? A woman from my small school up north who was a few years younger than me led the team at Mayo developing the first rapid testing or something along those lines I believe.
No, the U. We developed a lateral flow test. Like a pregnancy test but for Covid.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Received my 2nd dose of Pfizer early this morning. Not feeling any side effects as of yet.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Received my 2nd dose of Pfizer early this morning. Not feeling any side effects as of yet.

Mine hit right at the 24 hour mark.. just felt like I played an entire hockey game with a short bench. Tired and sore. Best of luck!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The only side effect I got was a really fricking sore arm!

I hardly felt anything from the first shot, but just sitting here, I could point to the exact spot of the injection this time, and when I move it, both general upper arm soreness and amplified acute soreness in the area of where the injection was.

No fatigue or chills or anything else though.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Just had my 2nd moderna shot and am currently in the waiting room for the next 15 minutes.

The first shot left me a bit puzzled, because although I was really tired and had hot flashes for a few days, most of the side effects were delayed. It was one week to the day when my injection site started itching like crazy. Then it swelled up like a baseball. However, that only lasted about a day and a half. The most annoying problem was the swollen lymph nodes. I've read that you can get them on the side where you received the shot, but I had them all over on both sides. They were under both arms, on my upper chest.....and just painful for about a week and a half. But they too cleared up. A little nervous about if the reactions from the second round will be worse. But it's all worth it. We have a close family friend who could have been vaccinated earlier than most people due to his age and health conditions, but he wanted to wait to see if there were any problems with the vaccines. So he continued working. He caught Covid 3 weeks ago. It happened fast. He's on a ventilator. While nothing is a guarantee, it just feels like this could have been avoided.

I will say this second shot hurt a lot more than the first....still stings.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just had my 2nd moderna shot and am currently in the waiting room for the next 15 minutes.

The first shot left me a bit puzzled, because although I was really tired and had hot flashes for a few days, most of the side effects were delayed. It was one week to the day when my injection site started itching like crazy. Then it swelled up like a baseball. However, that only lasted about a day and a half. The most annoying problem was the swollen lymph nodes. I've read that you can get them on the side where you received the shot, but I had them all over on both sides. They were under both arms, on my upper chest.....and just painful for about a week and a half. But they too cleared up. A little nervous about if the reactions from the second round will be worse. But it's all worth it. We have a close family friend who could have been vaccinated earlier than most people due to his age and health conditions, but he wanted to wait to see if there were any problems with the vaccines. So he continued working. He caught Covid 3 weeks ago. It happened fast. He's on a ventilator. While nothing is a guarantee, it just feels like this could have been avoided.

I will say this second shot hurt a lot more than the first....still stings.
Sorry to hear about your family friend. I keep hearing about really effective theurapuetics, but don't know how much they are in actual use in ICU's.

Your aftereffects are a lesser thing, for sure, but far more severe than anything my family has gone through. My 17 yo and i had nothing, my wife some discomfort for 24-48 hrs afterwards. 20 yo is getting his today...we'll see.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
All I know is that I felt great relief when both of my parents reached their two week mark after the second dose.

They laminated their cards, because that's what the nurse and others had said to do early on. But now we know that there will most likely be booster shots this fall. And those stickers can be added to the same card. I'm tempted to try de-laminating them.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
All I know is that I felt great relief when both of my parents reached their two week mark after the second dose.

They laminated their cards, because that's what the nurse and others had said to do early on. But now we know that there will most likely be booster shots this fall. And those stickers can be added to the same card. I'm tempted to try de-laminating them.
Mayo Clinic refuses to give out those cards because they have a complete lack of security as proof of vaccination anyway. They advise to just print out immunization details from the patient portal that is far more detailed information wise anyway.

I believe Mayo is pushing for some sort of universal digital COVID vaccination confirmation format instead of the useless hand written cardboard cards.

The cards format has already been posted online and non-vaccinated people are making their own.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I hope some serious discrimination lawsuits occur over these vaccine cards wrongfully affording people various access and benefits. I hope the Supreme Court and the MN state and fed level absolutely destroy this atrocity.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I hope some serious discrimination lawsuits occur over these vaccine cards wrongfully affording people various access and benefits. I hope the Supreme Court and the MN state and fed level absolutely destroy this atrocity.
Private businesses have every right to require vaccination if they so choose.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I see these vaccine cards coming into play for international travel. My bet is that there will be some (if not many) countries demanding proof of COVID vaccination before they allow you to enter. Nothing the US Courts can do about that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I see these vaccine cards coming into play for international travel. My bet is that there will be some (if not many) countries demanding proof of COVID vaccination before they allow you to enter. Nothing the US Courts can do about that.
Yes, for international travel, it will just be another amongst many already required vaccinations.

My guess, for sporting events/ concerts at full capacity, you'll either need proof of vaccination or a recent covid test showing negative.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Private businesses have every right to require vaccination if they so choose.
Bingo!
No Shoes. No Shirt. No Service. Doesn't seem to offend anyone, but requesting people get vaccinated does? Just further proves this has been politicized.

Reactions: 57special

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Probably getting to broad on the subject matter here though, let's reign it back in. I just mentioned the Mayo clinic thing about the cards not being given out and why because they're local... it affected me directly.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Yes, for international travel, it will just be another amongst many already required vaccinations.

My guess, for sporting events/ concerts at full capacity, you'll either need proof of vaccination or a recent covid test showing negative.
This is my biggest fear

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Exactly. I already carry a Yellow WHO card that basically has every immunization I've had and when I've gotten it. I needed it to get into Honduras and India.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Mayo Clinic refuses to give out those cards because they have a complete lack of security as proof of vaccination anyway. They advise to just print out immunization details from the patient portal that is far more detailed information wise anyway.

I believe Mayo is pushing for some sort of universal digital COVID vaccination confirmation format instead of the useless hand written cardboard cards.

The cards format has already been posted online and non-vaccinated people are making their own.
Regarding the patient portal, what if you don't get it through a clinic though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->