OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, we're neighbours, and on good terms. She's all alone, and her dog just died, also. This was sudden. Doesn't take much imagination to imagine her pain right now. My old dog came up to her and spent a greater than usual amount of time sniffing her- sometimes i think they are wiser than we are.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I don't want to jinx it, but I think I'm finally getting over COVID. It's been 14 days today since I first had symptoms and 21 days since I was in contact with the person I got it from. It was a terrible two weeks of fevers, shortness of breath that came and went, muscle soreness, extreme fatigue, lack of appetite, and trouble sleeping. I'm 30 years old and healthy and this thing completely knocked me on my ass for almost two straight weeks...I've never been sick like that before. It was amazing how many times I thought I was getting better and it would come back later that day.

Long story short, this thing is still out there and if you haven't been vaccinated yet I really do recommend staying as safe as possible at least until you are able to get the shot. I wouldn't wish the sickness I had on anyone.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don't want to jinx it, but I think I'm finally getting over COVID. It's been 14 days today since I first had symptoms and 21 days since I was in contact with the person I got it from. It was a terrible two weeks of fevers, shortness of breath that came and went, muscle soreness, extreme fatigue, lack of appetite, and trouble sleeping. I'm 30 years old and healthy and this thing completely knocked me on my ass for almost two straight weeks...I've never been sick like that before. It was amazing how many times I thought I was getting better and it would come back later that day.

Long story short, this thing is still out there and if you haven't been vaccinated yet I really do recommend staying as safe as possible at least until you are able to get the shot. I wouldn't wish the sickness I had on anyone.

BuT iTs JuSt ThE fLu!

Glad you were able to beat it and are feeling better.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Glad to hear that you are over it. The severity of Covid seems to be all over the place. Some are asymptomatic, some have mild, flu like symptoms, others get knocked on their ass like you, and still others need hospitalization, and we are all aware of the worst case scenario. My 90+ yo parents are getting their first jab today. If they get through the next ten days after that then the odds are good of them avoiding serious consequences should they contract it.

Vaccinations are on the way. Now is not the time to be careless. In two months or so most of us will be able to get somewhat back to normal, I hope? Apparently, for those who have had Covid within a 90 day period, they think that you will only need to have one dose of the two dose vaccines, as you will already have antibodies in you.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Quoth the thread rules:

Mod note: Only local interest COVID discussion will be permitted. If you want a more extensive discussion, you should go to the COVID forum.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I was typing a response (completely neutral for the most part) while the thread was being trimmed and I lost a bunch of it...

But long story short, I'm a relatively healthy 30 year and COVID knocked my completely on my ass for about 14 days. I always took this stuff seriously but never was too concerned about myself...that all changed when I ended up getting it and saw what it could do. If there is any way at all to minimize the impact to yourself and others I would highly recommend taking it. I just don't see the downside. Don't want to get into any sort of debate about it either. Just putting it out there that this is not something that is fun to go through.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I was typing a response (completely neutral for the most part) while the thread was being trimmed and I lost a bunch of it...

But long story short, I'm a relatively healthy 30 year and COVID knocked my completely on my ass for about 14 days. I always took this stuff seriously but never was too concerned about myself...that all changed when I ended up getting it and saw what it could do. If there is any way at all to minimize the impact to yourself and others I would highly recommend taking it. I just don't see the downside. Don't want to get into any sort of debate about it either. Just putting it out there that this is not something that is fun to go through.
Recommending something is completely different than verbally abusing and mocking people who choose to do otherwise, which I've seen happen to people both on this forum and in real life. If you think the vaccine is a good fit for you, then by all means get it.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Quoth the thread rules:

Mod note: Only local interest COVID discussion will be permitted. If you want a more extensive discussion, you should go to the COVID forum.

Back on topic, two teams effected by this horseshit:

Apparently HM and Hermantown both have to quarantine their rosters because the teams were exposed (to you know what).

Apparently, Hermantown is going to try using their JV roster, plus three players (apparently) that weren'texposed (to you know what). Of Hermantown's three Varsity players, their leading scorer wasn't exposed. Strange that their leading scorer (the state;s leading scorer) wasn't exposed. :sarcasm:

No. 1-seed Hermantown boys’ hockey hit by COVID, to play state quarterfinal with junior varsity players

In case of paywall:

COVID Imperils Boys State Hockey Tourney Chances Of Hermantown, Hill-Murray

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just got contacted by Mayo Clinic that I'm eligible for vaccination and got scheduled for next Wednesday.

It's possibly 2 dose... but that doesn't mean it won't end up the single dose J&J vaccine either.

Actually hoping to get the Pfizer one, will find out next Wednesday. :thumbu:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just got contacted by Mayo Clinic that I'm eligible for vaccination and got scheduled for next Wednesday.

It's possibly 2 dose... but that doesn't mean it won't end up the single dose J&J vaccine either.

Actually hoping to get the Pfizer one, will find out next Wednesday. :thumbu:
Mayo seems to be way better for covid treatment in general than the other health systems.

Reactions: TaLoN

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Mayo seems to be way better for covid treatment in general than the other health systems.
Mayo seems to be better at everything in general than other health systems.

I’m getting the J&J in about an hour through work.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mayo seems to be better at everything in general than other health systems.

I’m getting the J&J in about an hour through work.
Lucky for you guys. I am way older than almost everyone here, and am still waiting to get an appointment.

The VA has a completely different supply, and has been ahead of everyone in vaccinating their patients and workers.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's why when I found out I was within "range" of a Mayo Clinic Health Services location to be accepted as a patient, I jumped at it. Yes, I have to drive a bit further for a lot of things with them, but Mayo is worth it!

When it comes to your health, the best in the business is always the right choice. ;)

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
That's why when I found out I was within "range" of a Mayo Clinic Health Services location to be accepted as a patient, I jumped at it. Yes, I have to drive a bit further for a lot of things with them, but Mayo is worth it!

When it comes to your health, the best in the business is always the right choice. ;)
There's definitely a reason people from all over the world pay to go there. :)

J&J vaccine received. No ill side effects.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Just scheduled my J & J for next Tuesday. I am pumped.

It’s about 9 hours after I received my shot. The after effects have kicked in. I’m shivering uncontrollably. Currently in a hot bath to the point where I dare not make it any warmer.

Just updating so you know the after effects can kick in much later.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It’s about 9 hours after I received my shot. The after effects have kicked in. I’m shivering uncontrollably. Currently in a hot bath to the point where I dare not make it any warmer.

Just updating so you know the after effects can kick in much later.
I am aware of the possibities. Wife has had both Pfizer shots. First one she had effects for a day. The second one two. Co workers have had symptoms ranging from the same, to nothing. My 90+yo parents had no aftereffects . Seems to be quite random, just like how the disease affects some people severely, others barely at all.

Hope you feel better soon.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I am aware of the possibities. Wife has had both Pfizer shots. First one she had effects for a day. The second one two. Co workers have had symptoms ranging from the same, to nothing. My 90+yo parents had no aftereffects . Seems to be quite random, just like how the disease affects some people severely, others barely at all.

Hope you feel better soon.
The younger the age group, the more frequent and severe the effects. Your 90yro parents having no effects is not at all surprising as a result.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I had not heard that. We'll see.
Younger adults are having harsher Covid vaccine side effects
Dr. Jeffrey Weinstein, the patient safety officer for Kettering Health Network said young adults tend to have harsher reactions to the second dose than older populations, because younger people have stronger immune systems.

“Probably because older people, their immune system is a little bit more sluggish, and just not quite as vigorous,” Dr. Weinstein said.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I've had both doses of Moderna, 38 years old. No side effects other than a pretty sore arm on the first dose.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
So, it's been more than a day since my J&J shot, and zero reaction. Not even a bit. Maybe there is something to this older people not feeling it, though I do have a pretty active immune system still.

I'm getting the same one Thursday morning. I'll report on the effects.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
So, it's been more than a day since my J&J shot, and zero reaction. Not even a bit. Maybe there is something to this older people not feeling it, though I do have a pretty active immune system still.

Glad you passed without any reactions or side effects!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad