OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I understand that, what you arent however understanding is youre still much more likely to die each day from something that is not covid related than is.

I don't even know how to begin to answer this...like a big yikes. I mean, if an aggressive dog moved into the neighborhood, it's like saying, you're still more likely going to get ran over by a car than being attacked by the dog you pass by every day.

We haven't even gotten into the long term effects of Covid or how some Covid related deaths are being surpressed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
no, I read your article. which stated that cloth masks can help reduce viral loads, which in a labratory setting stated can be as low as 3% effective, which surprisingly corresponded with the 3% effectiveness the article i posted yesterday found. The same article i posted found that wearing a cloth mask can increase your own personal risk of developing sickness from viruses. Then using logic, deduced that having an entire nation wear cloth masks to prevent a spread of a virus that is detrimental to the health of a small number of the general public, yet increases risk to the mask wearer, is rediculous. Whether you choose to agree with labratory data is your choice.
And as high as 60%, but keep ignoring that because it doesn't fit your narrative.

3%is the worst it could be... so obviously you believe everyone is wearing the lowest possible option... when most are actually likely somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
And as high as 60%, but keep ignoring that because it doesn't fit your narrative.

3%is the worst it could be... so obviously you believe everyone is wearing the lowest possible option... went most are actually likely somewhere in the middle.
Ok. We can play the numbers on this. Not directed towards you but piggy backing in this post.

If masks are 3% effective that means out of the 7,000,000,000 (rounded for nice even numbers), that means that 210,000,000 people would get the virus that didn’t have to. If the virus kills at 1%, that means 2,100,000 people would die, that didn’t have to simply by wearing a mask.

But please tell us how it’s pointless.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
When it comes to stuff like this, the Mayo Clinic is one of the best independent medical organizations on the planet. I've taken what they find as general medical gospel. There's a reason I drive an hour away for most of my healthcare even though I have other health clinic options much closer. Mayo is second to none in quality of care on the planet!

That said, they recently released results of their own two stage study of effectiveness in both social distancing and mask wearing...

Mayo Clinic research confirms critical role of masks in preventing COVID-19 infection
Researchers measured how effectively masks blocked the number of aerosol particles from a masked source, simulating an individual with a COVID-19 infection, and they simulated the risk of an individual contracting COVID-19, when they were masked.
"We found the most important measure for reducing the risk of exposure to COVID-19 is to wear a mask," says Matthew Callstrom, M.D., Ph.D., chair of the department of radiology at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. "We found that both disposable paper medical masks and two-layer cloth masks were effective in reducing droplet transmission and we did not find a difference between mask types in terms of how well they blocked aerosol particles emitted by the wearer."

MaskStudyGraphics_p4v2-03-2048x1325.jpg

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
When it comes to stuff like this, the Mayo Clinic is one of the best independent medical organizations on the planet. I've taken what they find as general medical gospel. There's a reason I drive an hour away for most of my healthcare even though I have other health clinic options much closer. Mayo is second to none in quality of care on the planet!

That said, they recently released results of their own two stage study of effectiveness in both social distancing and mask wearing...

Mayo Clinic research confirms critical role of masks in preventing COVID-19 infection

MaskStudyGraphics_p4v2-03-2048x1325.jpg

I mean, there is a reason all the f'ing rich people go to the Mayo for medical. A bit of an exaggeration, but it's the best treatment money can buy, in the world (generally)

Reactions: HotDish and TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
My great aunt passed away from Covid on Sunday. I only have one relative left from my grandfather's generation, and my dad is also gone.

I cannot stress this enough; mask up, socially distance and go out only if you need to.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
My great aunt passed away from Covid on Sunday. I only have one relative left from my grandfather's generation, and my dad is also gone.

I cannot stress this enough; mask up, socially distance and go out only if you need to.

Sorry to hear.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Condolences for your loss. Tough times. :(

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
which begs the question, what is the cause?

Is suicide rising because people are stuck at home? Or are people committing suicide due to debt, evictions, and no stimulus relief?

Don't get me wrong I know we all are getting increased stress with needed to stay in doors, but I think this is an issue that is coming from further up the river.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I mean; how the hell is this being politicized?

This isn't just about catching Covid and dying. Medical facilities are being flooded, reports coming out that ambulances are taking hours to get to people because they are being overworked. Not everyone who is dying is dying because of Covid, because other people have Covid and don't get help in time.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I mean; how the hell is this being politicized?

This isn't just about catching Covid and dying. Medical facilities are being flooded, reports coming out that ambulances are taking hours to get to people because they are being overworked. Not everyone who is dying is dying because of Covid, because other people have Covid and don't get help in time.
I've been reading articles from nurses in the ER/ICU units in LA and how every shift there are people dying waiting for a bed who don't have Covid. One nurse said a older woman came in with stroke symptoms and she waited 19hrs for an available doctor and room before she was seen. She died later that day.

As to your first point, I think it's almost impossible for something like this not to be politicized in some way in this country. Keeping people safe and healthy should never have become so difficult for a country of our wealth and power, yet here we are once again getting caught with our pants down.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wife got her shot yesterday, and is scheduled for her second on Jan 4. I am starting to feel relief. At this point it is a race to get people vaccinated ASAP, especially the vulnerable, often older, population. I am guessing here, but the older folks who still remember polio and polio vaccine, are probably less likely to be anti vaxxers.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Wife got her shot yesterday, and is scheduled for her second on Jan 4. I am starting to feel relief. At this point it is a race to get people vaccinated ASAP, especially the vulnerable, often older, population. I am guessing here, but the older folks who still remember polio and polio vaccine, are probably less likely to be anti vaxxers.

Oh absolutely. You mention the whooping cough to an elder, they’re all too aware of the ramifications of not vaccinating. We’ve become far too entitled as a society

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So wife had, sore arm, aches, touch of fever, and felt a bit "off" for the rest of the day and all of the next. Nothing serious, sort of like the start of a flu or cold. She's fine today.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
So wife had, sore arm, aches, touch of fever, and felt a bit "off" for the rest of the day and all of the next. Nothing serious, sort of like the start of a flu or cold. She's fine today.
Thank you for the update.

Please keep the updates coming ..... hopefully they are all good

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Forcing youth hockey players to wear facemasks under their facemasks. Absolutely nuts. The people that dictate this stuff are something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalbooya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad