OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Did you guys see the recent news that fauci admitted to lying to the media?

I don't see any major networks picking up that story. I see Marco Rubio accusing Fauci of manipulating public perception surrounding Covid - 19, but CNN fact checked it and surprise, surprise - Rubio's claims are also false and misleading. Fauci didn't lie about masks.

Fact-checking Sen. Marco Rubio's criticism of Dr. Anthony Fauci - CNNPolitics

I love how getting more educated and learning more about the disease and evolving your opinion to meet the new data is lying. This is why the scientific community and why people are so rabid.

"OMG! He changed his opinion due to new facts and new data! HE WAS LYING BEFORE!"

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't see any major networks picking up that story. I see Marco Rubio accusing Fauci of manipulating public perception surrounding Covid - 19, but CNN fact checked it and surprise, surprise - Rubio's claims are also false and misleading. Fauci didn't lie about masks.

Fact-checking Sen. Marco Rubio's criticism of Dr. Anthony Fauci - CNNPolitics

I love how getting more educated and learning more about the disease and evolving your opinion to meet the new data is lying. This is why the scientific community and why people are so rabid.

"OMG! He changed his opinion due to new facts and new data! HE WAS LYING BEFORE!"

Here is a direct quote from Fauci to the street.com

So, why weren't we told to wear masks in the beginning?

"Well, the reason for that is that we were concerned the public health community, and many people were saying this, were concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply. And we wanted to make sure that the people namely, the health care workers, who were brave enough to put themselves in a harm way, to take care of people who you know were infected with the coronavirus and the danger of them getting infected."

Here is Fauci under oath to congress.

"Let me explain to you what happened, at that time there was a paucity of equipment that our healthcare providers needed, who put themselves daily in harms way of taking care of people who are ill, we did not want to divert masks and PPE away from them to be used by the people. Now that we have enough, we recommend."

He is under oath, under the threat of perjury, saying he misled the American people about his belief in Mask effectiveness early on. You can agree or disagree whether the ends justify the means, but when he was under oath he said it was to save PPE for the professionals. That CNN fact check isn't worth the digital ink spilled on it if it can't even mention his testimony in congress.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Here is a direct quote from Fauci to the street.com

Here is Fauci under oath to congress.

He is under oath, under the threat of perjury, saying he misled the American people about his belief in Mask effectiveness early on. You can agree or disagree whether the ends justify the means, but when he was under oath he said it was to save PPE for the professionals. That CNN fact check isn't worth the digital ink spilled on it if it can't even mention his testimony in congress.
I don’t see what the big deal is. People would have hoarded PPE supplies. We saw the same thing with TP, even though TP was never is short demand.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don’t see what the big deal is. People would have hoarded PPE supplies. We saw the same thing with TP, even though TP was never is short demand.

It's your right to have that opinion.

I have an opinion that unelected government employee's shouldn't outright mislead the American people on purpose. And when they do, it shouldn't be hand waived away by CNN Fact checkers.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
"Let me explain to you what happened, at that time there was a paucity of equipment that our healthcare providers needed, who put themselves daily in harms way of taking care of people who are ill, we did not want to divert masks and PPE away from them to be used by the people. Now that we have enough, we recommend."

No where in that statement says he misled the American people about the Mask effectiveness early on. Also, that isn't lying. He straight up said they did not want to divert masks or PPE away from health care workers early on. Furthermore, and again, THE SITUATION CHANGED. Read that last sentence again. Carefully.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
It's your right to have that opinion.

I have an opinion that unelected government employee's shouldn't outright mislead the American people on purpose. And when they do, it shouldn't be hand waived away by CNN Fact checkers.
They are ....

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

No where in that statement says he misled the American people about the Mask effectiveness early on. Also, that isn't lying. He straight up said they did not want to divert masks or PPE away from health care workers early on. Furthermore, and again, THE SITUATION CHANGED. Read that last sentence again. Carefully.

I'm not sure how you can interpret Fauci's very public statements at the time that Masks aren't necessary for the general population which is what he was asked about, with him testifying in congress than they did that to save PPE for the professionals other than misleading the public. I would also consider intentionally misleading the public as lying.

As far as "the Situation changed" or the new data evolved his thinking, that's just a messaging switch. He got heat for that congressional testimony, and the 3-5 interviews he gave where he said it was to save PPE, so the messaging switched to "Follow the Science"... "The data changed".

Why didn't he say the data changed his mind under oath?

Again, feel free to agree or disagree with the tactic. He clearly admitted to misleading the public under oath.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I'm not sure how you can interpret Fauci's very public statements at the time that Masks aren't necessary for the general population which is what he was asked about, with him testifying in congress than they did that to save PPE for the professionals other than misleading the public. I would also consider intentionally misleading the public as lying.

As far as "the Situation changed" or the new data evolved his thinking, that's just a messaging switch. He got heat for that congressional testimony, and the 3-5 interviews he gave where he said it was to save PPE, so the messaging switched to "Follow the Science"... "The data changed".

Why didn't he say the data changed his mind under oath?

Again, feel free to agree or disagree with the tactic. He clearly admitted to misleading the public under oath.

What a hill to choose to die on.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
What a hill to choose to die on.

It's certainly not a hill I'm dieing on. But this conversation is pretty relevant to the general atmosphere surrounding covid, or any controversial topic in general. People aren't allowed to see nuance, and evaluate situations. One way or the highway.

Poster A) Fauci Lied
Poster B) No he didn't, CNN fact checked it
Poster C) Here are quotes of Fauci admitting he misled the public. Upto you whether or not you agree with the tactic(while obviously implying, and later posting I disagree with it in general).
Poster B) He didn't say that. (despite him very obviously saying that).

Again, make your personal choice on whether you think it was an acceptable tactic. He very clearly misled the American people on purpose, and admitted as such.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
It's certainly not a hill I'm dieing on. But this conversation is pretty relevant to the general atmosphere surrounding covid, or any controversial topic in general. People aren't allowed to see nuance, and evaluate situations. One way or the highway.

Poster A) Fauci Lied
Poster B) No he didn't, CNN fact checked it
Poster C) Here are quotes of Fauci admitting he misled the public. Upto you whether or not you agree with the tactic(while obviously implying, and later posting I disagree with it in general).
Poster B) He didn't say that. (despite him very obviously saying that).

Again, make your personal choice on whether you think it was an acceptable tactic. He very clearly misled the American people on purpose, and admitted as such.

Ya thats the point i have a problem with as well. This is a democracy, not a dictatorship...

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’ve had three of my friends say they won’t get the vaccine yet I’ve seen all of them eat fast food before which candidly is just small doses of poison.
I'll wear a mask, but you won't catch me getting the vaccine either. I'm young and healthy enough that my immune system is better and getting vaccinated doesn't stop your ability to carry and spread the virus to others. Rather somebody else with higher risk get vaccinated instead.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'll wear a mask, but you won't catch me getting the vaccine either. I'm young and healthy enough that my immune system is better and getting vaccinated doesn't stop your ability to carry and spread the virus to others. Rather somebody else with higher risk get vaccinated instead.
Ya, I tend to doubt I'll ever get it. I don't have an objection to getting it, but I worked from home before the pandemic, 35 years old, etc.

Just in the segment of the population that will be absolutely dead last in any priority list.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Than CNN? You're out to lunch on that one. CNN takes the cake for dipshits in news networks. Literally any other network is better than them.

The same people making a big fuss about Fauci “lying” at the same people supporting Faux News, who have done nothing but spread disinformation.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The same people making a big fuss about Fauci “lying” at the same people supporting Faux News, who have done nothing but spread disinformation.
There is a reason I don’t pay attention to mainstream media. They’re all trash. CNN just has the crown for worst network. Plenty of misinformation, jargon, pandering, “rules for thee, not for me”, self righteous/moral superiority crap on their network. They’re the laughing stock of media.

Reactions: Northerner

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Assuming you're talking about me, I certainly don't support fox news. It was clearly a joke that their bias's are known, while people claim CNN plays it straight.

Reactions: Digitalbooya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->