Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The thing that impresses me about Hughes is just how much of the Canucks offense goes through him.

He’s 12 points back of their leading scorer.

Contrast that with Makar being 39 points behind the Avs leading scorer.

Now of course this is because MacKinnon is much better than the Canucks leading scorer.

But at the same time, that means that Makar gets the benefit of playing with him.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The thing that impresses me about Hughes is just how much of the Canucks offense goes through him.

He’s 12 points back of their leading scorer.

Contrast that with Makar being 39 points behind the Avs leading scorer.

Now of course this is because MacKinnon is much better than the Canucks leading scorer.

But at the same time, that means that Makar gets the benefit of playing with him.
This is a very very good post and point, and something somewhat refreshing.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
There isn't a 60 point rookie defenseman.

If were going to go off projections, who's to say Kubalik won't score 40? The guy gets hot and carries the Hawks in goals for a week or two.

40 goals wins the Calder, over a 60 point defenseman, just sayin
No matter how much you want to stir the pot, a forward who gets outscored by a defenseman by a sizeable margin isn't winning the Calder. Sorry.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
Hughes was so good tonight. 27 minutes of ice time and he set and controlled the pace of play every single time he was out there. This may be the best season by a Canucks defenceman I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
No matter how much you want to stir the pot, a forward who gets outscored by a defenseman by a sizeable margin isn't winning the Calder. Sorry.
And a rookie who pots 40 goals won't be denied a Calder.

Still looking for these 60 point rookie defenseman tho....

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
There isn't a 60 point rookie defenseman.

If were going to go off projections, who's to say Kubalik won't score 40? The guy gets hot and carries the Hawks in goals for a week or two.

40 goals wins the Calder, over a 60 point defenseman, just sayin

There isn't a 60p defenseman (yet), and there also isn't a 30g rookie (yet).

The entire premise of the post was that Kubalik *could* hit 30g so I went along with it and even gave a low estimate for Hughes and Makar - both are on pace for mid 60s and we're 75% through the season.

Kubalik isn't in the conversation, except as a fringe candidate for 3rd place. He has 0% chance of beating Makar or Hughes.

Reactions: Mac Attack

pomx

May 15, 2014
Anyone have the full shift of Landeskog's goal that Makar didn't get an assist on? Makar did laps around the o zone laughing at everyone. This is exactly why he is winning the Calder no matter what the points results end in. No defenseman in the league is doing what he is doing.
Hughes is and a year younger and is doing it better so what’s your point

Reactions: yeezyszn5

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Anyone have the full shift of Landeskog's goal that Makar didn't get an assist on? Makar did laps around the o zone laughing at everyone. This is exactly why he is winning the Calder no matter what the points results end in. No defenseman in the league is doing what he is doing.
I think Hughes is able to skate around he's a fast skater and so agile. I watched Hughes yesterday and most of the time when he touched he created something the same way as Makar (they were dominated in that 3rd period IMO). The Calder race is really close and will play down with the remaining games. Either way it's really interesting and it's sad that Olofsson was hurt the race would've been even better.

Reactions: yeezyszn5

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hughes is and a year younger and is doing it better so what’s your point
Doing it better how? :laugh: Doesn't take a genius to figure out the player with 2 less points and 8 less games played is the better player.

Hughes lives on the PP and is a minus player 5 on 5. He's lucky Makar missed some games because otherwise this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hell he didn't even get a point this shift, that's Barzal chasing him around, the guy who won the fastest skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad