Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hell he didn't even get a point this shift, that's Barzal chasing him around, the guy who won the fastest skater.

Being faster doesn't really matter in this case at all. It could have been Joe Thornton protecting the puck and Barzal wouldn't touch him.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Anyone have the full shift of Landeskog's goal that Makar didn't get an assist on? Makar did laps around the o zone laughing at everyone. This is exactly why he is winning the Calder no matter what the points results end in. No defenseman in the league is doing what he is doing.

Uh, Hughes is doing exactly the same thing on a nightly basis

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Q Hughes has stepped it up another level, i feel like we keep saying this on a monthly basis with this player.

He is playing over 25 min a night now, every situation except penalty kill. Coach Travis Green post game last night said this is the norm now for Q Hughes and the shackles are off.

8 pts in last 6 games
13 pts in last 10 games

4th in D-man scoring, 2 pts back of Hedman for 3rd.

Imagine if the Canucks actually give this guy a top 6 to play with that doesn't include Loui Eriksson.
I also love Chris Tanev defensively but he is a blackhole in the o-zone as a D-partner.

Very impressed, thought Q Hughes would hit a wall energy wise but it hasnt happened yet. His skating is just so effecient.

Brian Burke compared it to the way Scott Neidermeyer was so efficient, can play a game a not break a sweat.

Q Hughes doing all this while not even legally allowed to drink with the boys during American road trips!:yo::yo::yo:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
yep more specifically

Dahlin - 19 yrs old
Hughes- 6 months older than Dahlin
Makar - 1 year 6 months older than Dahlin

tenor.gif

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Anyone have the full shift of Landeskog's goal that Makar didn't get an assist on? Makar did laps around the o zone laughing at everyone. This is exactly why he is winning the Calder no matter what the points results end in. No defenseman in the league is doing what he is doing.
No disrespect, but Quinn literally does this regularly lmao

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kubalik is only 2 points behind Olofsson and it is reasonably possible for him to surpass O and potentially even Makar or Hughes. If he does end up 2nd in points than I do think it reasonable for him to come in third in voting.

Voters historically seem more impressed with how players do down the stretch so it should be very interesting for 3rd place.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
No disrespect, but Quinn literally does this regularly lmao
Any videos? I watch every Canucks game I can and admittedly watch the Avs closer, but I dont see Quinn moving around anywhere near Makars skill level. Quinn is smaller and reminds me more of a Sam Girard without the spin-o-ramas and a much better playmaker side to his game compared to Girard. No dman is doing anything like what Makar does opening his hips and literally skating around 4-5 guys per shift.

Makar was so good last night against a very good defensive team that the Islanders forgot MacKinnon was on the ice.

Also, anyone have an update on Makar's post/crossbar count? I know its a woulda coulda didnt, but wow this guy has been unlucky.

calderkids

Feb 8, 2020
Doing it better how? :laugh: Doesn't take a genius to figure out the player with 2 less points and 8 less games played is the better player.

Hughes lives on the PP and is a minus player 5 on 5. He's lucky Makar missed some games because otherwise this wouldn't even be a discussion.
That is such a garbage post. Hughes plays against teams top lines every shift and even tho plus\minus is a useless stat he's actually brought that down quite a bit. Using missed games as an excuse is pathetic considering his ppg is skewed by getting 22 in his first 20. Us Nuck fans can fairly say then that age and quality of matchups and who Cale gets most of his points with (Mac) easily wash out the missed games. The fact is pro-rating points can't be used as a stat. Rookies often slowdown the last chunk of the season and often get tired and hit a wall. Quinn has had no 10 games to rest or a break during the all-star weekend, he's actually doing the opposite and getting stronger, with 13 points in his last 10 games and just played 27 mins for the 3rd time this season.

The fact that he has better-advanced stats in most areas while playing on the top pairing averaging the most mins of all D on the team since December while playing almost exclusively with the 2nd and 4th line is insane.
As for PP points Quinn only has 5 more then Makar but Cale plays most of his 5\5 with Mac in a more sheltered role while Q is often with Horvats line or Beagles line, so 5 extra PP points is no big deal especially since December he's been getting a lot more at even.

If you actually bothered to watch him play you would see how like last night where the scoring chances were 21-7 with him on the ice while being used against the wilds top line, isn't an outlier, its the norm. The clip you guys keep showing with Makar skating around, is something Q does almost every game.

The fact that Button, Burke Friedman all think Q deserves the Calder at this point is telling, since 2 months ago they all said Cale. Ah but what do those dudes know right?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Any videos? I watch every Canucks game I can and admittedly watch the Avs closer, but I dont see Quinn moving around anywhere near Makars skill level. Quinn is smaller and reminds me more of a Sam Girard without the spin-o-ramas and a much better playmaker side to his game compared to Girard. No dman is doing anything like what Makar does opening his hips and literally skating around 4-5 guys per shift.

Makar was so good last night against a very good defensive team that the Islanders forgot MacKinnon was on the ice.

Also, anyone have an update on Makar's post/crossbar count? I know its a woulda coulda didnt, but wow this guy has been unlucky.

Quinn does do that very often, every other game there will be an extended possession shift from him, you dont seem to watch enough Canuck games then, as I dont expect you to. To be fair to Makar, possession game is not Makar's bread and butter, Makar's pinches and forays into the slot are much more impressive than Hughes', he will outgoal Hughes every year in their career the way they differ in approach. Also to be fair, it was Makar who also lost Francouz's shutout last night. Pettersson overtook Makar in the woulda coulda didnt stat.

Reactions: calderkids
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad