Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fivealive5

Nov 6, 2017
but the stats are literally favoring hughes; unless you're talking about ppg, where hughes is making huge progress (0.85 for makar vs 0.82 for hughes) all while makar gets 63% ozone starts and hughes at 57%

When one guy is injured for 8 games and the other isnt, yes, per-game stats are all that matters. Trying to push otherwise is just showing your Canuck fan bias.

DemampCamp

Mar 3, 2012
VanCity
Hughes didnt even hit 20mins of icetime in a blowout win. Not even top 5 on the team in that game. Makar is regularly posting 25+ mins a game and was #2 in ice time on the Avs. That combined with being better statistically is more than enough to give it to Makar.

But take it from a non-involved fan who has seen 7-8 games this season from both the Avs and the Nucks - Makar beats Hughes in the eye test too.

Hughes is top tier, I expect several Norris noms from him over his career, its just that I expect several Norris wins from Makar over the same timeframe.

Didn't they show on HNIC last night the statistical comparisons between Hughes and Makar and had Hughes slotting in the higher average ice time...

Not saying it's that big of a deal breaker when deciding who the better rookie is but what your saying isn't true, pretty sure they had Hughes in every statistic over makar as well besides points per game percentage

Reactions: bh53

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hughes didnt even hit 20mins of icetime in a blowout win. Not even top 5 on the team in that game. Makar is regularly posting 25+ mins a game and was #2 in ice time on the Avs. That combined with being better statistically is more than enough to give it to Makar.

But take it from a non-involved fan who has seen 7-8 games this season from both the Avs and the Nucks - Makar beats Hughes in the eye test too.

Hughes is top tier, I expect several Norris noms from him over his career, its just that I expect several Norris wins from Makar over the same timeframe.
Hughes has a higher average TOI than Makar this year...

Hughes starts in the offensive zone less than Makar...

Trying to pass off your opinion based on 7-8 games is a bit hilarious, if I’m being completely honest with you. Especially when you’re getting facts wrong to boot.

I don’t really care who wins the Calder, it’s not going to change the fact Hughes is a great defensemen for the Canucks, but let’s at least discuss this with the facts being correct.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Makar is certainly flashier and a better skater. That I will give you. He's more 'fun' to watch in short spurts, though Hughes is definitely reason to tune in as well.

Personally, I think Makar still deserves the Calder over Hughes, but acting like it's a given that Makar should win the Calder is a bit of a joke, tbh, especially if you've only formed that opinion based off of 7-8 games of each team.

There is an immensely strong case to be made for Hughes winning over Makar. They're both freaks of nature and hard to compare to any other d-men. I think, physically, Makar is more of a freak and a rarity, but that's the only reason I'd vote for him. He's just filthy and mystifying. Hughes is too, but I think Makar is the 'rarer breed', even if I think Hughes has had a slightly better season thus far.

Reactions: avsfan09
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad