Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think OP might be the front runner at this point.

post-14251-eddie-murphy-i-see-what-you-di-paqx-jpeg.22077

Reactions: bl02

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Olofsson would win it if it was awarded today.
I could see Hughes as runner-up.

It's still very early though. Makar has been up and down but I like his chances to put it together and have the best season of the bunch.

Jun 15, 2007
Samsonov for dark horse if he plays enough games.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Makar to me is the front runner.
Followed by a mix of Olofsson, Q Hughes, Mikheyev and Heinola.
Followed by Moore, Necas, Glass, A Nylander.
Kakko, J Hughes and Brannstrom have been relatively quiet.

If it were to be right now.
------------
My guess at the end of the year.
1. Makar
2. Q. Hughes
3. Olofsson
4. Kakko
5. J. Hughes
6. Mikheyev
7. Glass
8. A. Nylander
9, Necas
10. Moore

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Olofsson should be in the running.

Will likely be a fixture on a great top PP for Buffalo. Already has 7 points there (6 + 1).

Has been playing on our top line at even strength too but only has 2 assists so far. He is solid defensively but still has things to learn before really excelling here to put him as a favourite in the race.

Definitely a top-5 contender and has a good shot at 50+ points though.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Quinn Hughes

Makar has impressive point totals so far, but his play has not been anything special.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Calder Candidates

Scoring
1. Olofsson - 10gms, 6g, 9pts, -3, 17:40mins/gm
2. Makar - 9gms, 8pts, -1, 18:37mins/gm
3. Mikheyev - 11gms, 3g, 7 pts, +5, 15:51mins/gm
4. Glass - 11gms, 2g, 6pts, -2, 14:45mins/gm
5. Hughes - 9gms, 1g, 6pts, +3, 20:27mins/gm

Time Time:
1. Ethan Bear 20:50
2. Hughes 20:27
3. Fabbro 19:03
4. Makar 18:37
5. Heinola 18:04

Olofsson is your current Calder favorite. Hot start on the power play. Hot team. High scoring team. He's being put in a position to succeed.

General feel from Avs fans is that Hughes looks better than Makar at this early stage... but we all saw how poised and creative Makar was in the playoffs. So maybe just going through an adjustment period... Oh, as he scores at a PPG rate while he figures it out.

Style points will matter... I don't think anyone above controls the pace of the game more than Hughes can... He's a fun a watch.. eating huge minutes. His production will be up there...

If he's 5-10 pts of the leader... he could win based on his value to his team, style and entertainment value, and what should be a huge total minutes played discrepancy by the end of the season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's really hard for a defenseman to win it obviously, but Hughes is something else. Olofsson is also a pretty good pick for front-runner at this point, and Makar is right up there as well

Reactions: Paradise Circus

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'm thinking it will be a race between Makar and Hughes. Olofsson is off to a great start, and looks to be the best forward candidate, and could win it as well.

So far this year I feel Hughes has been the best rookie, and I think he runs away with it.

I don't say that to stir the pot, or discount any of the other guys, just my opinion. Let's see how it plays out over the course of the year....

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Olofsson should be in the running.

Will likely be a fixture on a great top PP for Buffalo. Already has 7 points there (6 + 1).

Has been playing on our top line at even strength too but only has 2 assists so far. He is solid defensively but still has things to learn before really excelling here to put him as a favourite in the race.

Definitely a top-5 contender and has a good shot at 50+ points though.

Yeah he's been killing it so far

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Due to the fact that Olofsson is several years older than his competition, I think he needs to absolutely blow the competition out of the water. I don't know if many share this view, but age matters IMO. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of Panarin and the 21-point gap to the next rookie.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Due to the fact that Olofsson is several years older than his competition, I think he needs to absolutely blow the competition out of the water. I don't know if many share this view, but age matters IMO. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of Panarin and the 21-point gap to the next rookie.

Voters don’t share this view otherwise Crosby would’ve won the Calder instead of Ovechkin.

Reactions: Eichel9

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Voters don’t share this view otherwise Crosby would’ve won the Calder instead of Ovechkin.

True. That's one exception I'm willing to make. As impressive as 102 points as an 18-year old is, Ovechkin as a 20-year old made a bigger splash. 52 goals and 106 points while being a walking highlight reel all season long.

The line I draw lingers somewhere around 24 to 25 years of age. We're talking about fully matured athletes closing in on their prime vs. barely adults / teenagers.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Olofsson played 4 years in Sweden
Last year in the A mostly except for an end of year call up.

Is this all that different from a player doing 2 years CHL, 3 yr ELC mainly in A or ...4 yr college player then 1 year in AHL?

What is the number of games played that if you exceed make you inelible for this year?

Reactions: Eichel9

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Speaking as a Canucks fan who would be elated if Quinn Hughes won, I really hope both Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko pick it up. You can't have a Calder race without the reigning top two draft picks.

Reactions: xigon and peatmoss

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Olofsson played 4 years in Sweden
Last year in the A mostly except for an end of year call up.

Is this all that different from a player doing 2 years CHL, 3 yr ELC mainly in A or ...4 yr college player then 1 year in AHL?

What is the number of games played that if you exceed make you inelible for this year?
He's probably referring to age only as opposed to games...
Probably referring to Olofsson being a 2014 draft pick in competition for a trophy vs 2017/2018/2019 picks.

Rules are rules tho.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If Olofsson keeps this up it’s hard to see a defenceman wins it
I think Quinn Hughes gets a nominee, which makes it three years in a row a Canucks rookie was nominated for Calder

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad