Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
So rare with the defenseman, but its a good point on the goalies too.

Binnington was the first one in awhile, now right away both Samsonov & Elvis are doing the same.

Samsonov slipped my mind. I'd have him in the group with Olfosson & Suzuki.
I doubt we see another race like this for a long time. Two absolutely elite defensemen, two incredible goalies, and a forward rookie class that doesn’t have any stand-outs.

I’m just happy the Avs are a part of it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
In a Calder discussion, age is pretty irrelevant. However, Hughes seem like the better play-driver and defensive player to me so I'd probably give him the edge.

This really is an amazing year for rookie d-men. Adam Fox has been terrific as well, and let's not forget Marino in Pittsburgh. All four of them are basically top pairing d-men already.
Every time I think he has a shot at sneaking in even more interest into this year's Calder race, the other two will have a 2 or 3-point game or something. Fox has played 5:07 combined PP minutes over his last 6 games. Makar played 5:28 tonight against Washington, and 6:04 the previous game against Ottawa. Fox actually has the highest PP Points/60 of the three lol.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I agree with Elliot Friedman's pick if the voting ended today.

Winner- Hughes
2nd- Makar
3rd- Elvis

Though i dont think thats how it will play out by the end of the season because I think ELvis was just on a a hot streak add that along with the injuries to important CBJ players.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
So do we pro-rate Olofsson's season as well since many posters here are keep claiming Makar would beat Hughes if he didn't miss 10 games.

If we're going to play the "what if" game for Makar then we should do it for Olofsson too and if we do that, then Ive got Makar at 3rd place now because Olofsson would be on pace for 35+ goals and 70+ points. Also Makar fans seem to think that the 1 year age gap between Hughes and Makar isnt as relevant as the 10 missed games SO i hope i dont hear any of them complaining that Olofsson is 24 yrs old.

Reactions: Slimmy

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Speaking of Olofsson, teams should just put a permanent staff in Ornskoldsvik Sweden.

less than 40k in population, same size as Penticton BC or Wilkes- Barre Pennsylvania and it has produced players like
Sedin Twins, Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Victor Hedman etc...

whats in the water there?

NHL2004ISDABOMB

Dec 30, 2018
Quinn has a chance to widen the gap between him and Makar tomorrow against a weak Ducks team, should be fun to watch. Makar no points against LA.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Makar currently in biggest slump of his career. 3 games and counting. No one could win the calder going that long without points. /s
So you’re telling me his 90 point pace is not maintainable!?

in all seriousness, Teams are tightening up right now, it’s gonna be harder for both of them to score and put up points.

When it’s all said and done, I can see both of them having 55 to 60 points, in a dead heat.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
An apple for Q Hughes through almost 2 periods
Kid is a beast. Give him the Calder he deserves it. Makar is playing well and should be getting a pile of points but, they are not coming for him like they are for Hughes

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Kid is a beast. Give him the Calder he deserves it. Makar is playing well and should be getting a pile of points but, they are not coming for him like they are for Hughes
I like Makar a lot and think its stiill a toss up.
Two absolute stud rookie d going head to head.
Theres no way Makar or Quinn can be discounted at this point.
Makar can easily put up 4 points and take the lead.
My comment was just a running count and is not meant to discount the greatness of makar by any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: CanuckCity and Love

E D

Winger Super Squad
Feb 13, 2012
Canadia
Both have rarely gone more than 2 games without recording a point. Shows their consistency in production

Makar:
February 11 - 16 (3 games)

Hughes:
October 12 - 19 (4 games)
December 17 - 21 (3 games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad