Official Bernier/Reimer Thread 1.0 - Optimus Reim vs Mega Jon

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
C'mon that is such a small size sample. Before the game, Reimer sv% was .913 and in one game it sky-rocketed to .933.

See what one game can do to a goalie's sv%?

You think 7 is better? Remember, I'm the person wishing to compare results to date, not simply this season. Not really my fault neither work in Bernier's favour to date.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
You think 7 is better? Remember, I'm the person wishing to compare results to date, not simply this season. Not really my fault neither work in Bernier's favour to date.

Yes, but Bernier has played more game than Reimer has and twice the minutes. If your're going to compare stats to date at least wait till the end of the year, so we can judge both goalies equally.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, but Bernier has played more game than Reimer has and twice the minutes. If your're going to compare stats to date at least wait till the end of the year, so we can judge both goalies equally.

That's a little difficult don't you think given people said I can't look at the work in the past?

Let's see, can't look at the past....can't look at the present.....AH! I've got it, I'm supposed to have an intelligent discussion about the future, when the comment I made that people took exception to was that Reimer has produced better results TO DATE.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Bernier has a solid career for a pro as well. He posted a .927 in AHL and right now is sitting at a .917 in the NHL.

My comment was about results and there is no question which goalie has produced better results to date. All you have to look at is points percentage.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
That's a little difficult don't you think given people said I can't look at the work in the past?

Let's see, can't look at the past....can't look at the present.....AH! I've got it, I'm supposed to have an intelligent discussion about the future, when the comment I made that people took exception to was that Reimer has produced better results TO DATE.

Why the **** would that matter right now? It's like saying Bishop is better than Lundqvuist because he has produced the better results to date. Lets just wait till the end of the year before we start judging both goalies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
My comment was about results and there is no question which goalie has produced better results to date. All you have to look at is points percentage.

Points percentage is a TEAM stats, not an individual one. If that was the case, then most GM's would want Fleury over someone like Rinne.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
They're two very different goaltenders, with very different playing styles. It's more than just counting rebounds every night.

C'mon, Reimer's biggest flaw is his rebound control. Even when he tries to push rebounds to the corners they fly out in front of him often leading to a GA. Rebound control often leads to composure especially in playoff games. Reimer keeps winning though so I see what you mean.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
:laugh: This thread is hilarious.

I can't believe people are spending more time arguing for one goaltender or another than they are enjoying the fact that we have both, and they're both playing well.

Tyler Biggs*

I love the guys who say 'If it wasn't for the goaltending' the Leafs would be 4-8 like the wins should not count. If your goalies are your best players then so be it. They are supposed to stop the puck. Leafs goalies are great.. get used to it!

Tyler Biggs*

I'm not going to lie. After the first few games I was sure Bernier was going to take over this team. I still think he's the guy for the future, but if Reimer keeps putting up 37 saves every game it's going to be hard for anyone to keep that starter spot from him.

Leafs best game in the early season. Outhit the Pens 45-26...This is the team I remember from last year. Let's keep it going.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I was surprised with the Bernier trade and had argued against it when it was suggested on this board numerous times last season. I didn't have anything against Bernier, I just felt he had nothing on Reimer.

I like Reimer. I like his personality and I like his Giguere-esque style as a long time Giguere fan.

However, it was clear to me the moment the deal was announced, that Bernier was not acquired to be a back-up. Regardless of who we on this board like better, unless his play is awful it seems obvious to me that Nonis wants Bernier to be the guy.
I mean if you have a plate full of Pizza sitting in front of you, and you decide to order in Chinese food...odds are you will eat the Chinese food.

Having watched Bernier for a few games, I definitely prefer him hands down, and the reasons are not about the results of a few games. That's sort of ridiculous.
The reasons are because he is better with rebounds, a better puck handler, has better mobility, has better positioning. I don't think these were flukes for the few games he has played. I think they indicate the type of goalie he is.

Both have great attitudes, and both have the ability to battle. Both give the Leafs the best goaltending they have had since Belfour.

Now lets suppose Nonis did trade for Bernier because he had this crazy idea that he was going to be the starter. Does this mean Reimer must be traded?
I"m not so sure.
Reimer is obviously very very good, and he is cheap.
If we would need a goalie coming back I wouldn't be in too big a rush to deal him.
I think we have the best one-two punch in net in the league right now, it isn't costing much, and I see it as a good thing.
Unless some team made an offer we couldn't refuse, or Reimer starts being a problem in the locker room (which would be very out of character), I wouldn't rush to deal him at all.

So while I think Bernier was brought in to start and ultimately will, and I do prefer his game, I'm pretty happy with either in net.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Goodbye Bernier...

I hope you fetch what you cost but at $2.8 M we can't afford that much since our starter will need a raise soon.

TML 13

Oct 19, 2013
I hope you fetch what you cost but at $2.8 M we can't afford that much since our starter will need a raise soon.

Delusional. Think about it. Nonis acquires a goalie and then flips that goalie for the same assets value wise? That is a lateral move which is useless.

Penalty Kill Icing*

:facepalm:

Why don't we wait till the end of the season to find out who the starting goal tender will be.

As bad as his thinking is, you lost that right to call him out when you yourself did pretty much the same thing in last night's PGT.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
As bad as his thinking is, you lost that right to call him out when you yourself did pretty much the same thing in last night's PGT.
Oh my so one comment about his glove and now I'm calling him out. :help:

If you read my post from last night I was praising him while criticizing him at the same time.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Oh my so one comment about his glove and now I'm calling him out. :help:

If you read my post from last night I was praising him while criticizing him at the same time.

There you go. Enjoy. :cheers:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=73300775&postcount=35

Great game by the leafs!

Bolland was excellent and so was Kadri's line.

Reimer played well for a backup role. Hopefully this can increase the competitiveness between those two.

You alone felt that Reimer played a backup role.

TML 13

Oct 19, 2013
Can be. But the way both of them have played, I think it might be longer.

True, but I believe we need to at least determine who our #1 is before the postseason. Going in with two goalies who played ~40 games each is a bad idea IMO. They don't need any extra pressure to perform then they already have

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
True, but I believe we need to at least determine who our #1 is before the postseason. Going in with two goalies who played ~40 games each is a bad idea IMO. They don't need any extra pressure to perform then they already have

For sure. I guess I should have said at the end of regular season. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad