Official Bernier/Reimer Thread 1.0 - Optimus Reim vs Mega Jon

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
So many thread's are becoming derailed by this, and i like to talk about the debate as much as the next guy, but I thought if we have a thread for people to talk about it, we can keep the other threads more focused.

I'll begin with a beauty of a quote that I found

"[Toronto GM] Dave Nonis was really the only one who was seriously interested in him. Everyone else was just tire-kicking. I was shocked at the lack of real interest. He had proven himself again last season. The other reason I think people overlook Bernier is because he is small; they overlook his hockey sense, which is his best asset.

"I give Nonis a lot of credit. A week after he got the [GM] job [in Toronto], he was all over Bernier."

UPDATED STATS
Player GP GS Sv Sv% W L OT GA GAA SA SO G A PIM TOI
Reimer 8 8 242 .942 4 2 0 15 2.30 257 1 0 0 0 390:43
Bernier 12 10 372 .939 7 4 1 24 2.05 396 1 0 0 0 701:22

Last edited:

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
Neither goalie has done anything wrong, and both have been strong. I say Reimer next game and see how he does. Take it one game at a time until you can definitely say which goalie is better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They're going to trade Reimer, it is just a matter of when.

Nonis didn't trade for Bernier to have him back-up Reimer.

The problem is probably that the Leafs don't have anything in the system to back-up Bernier, so they'll have to take a goalie back in the deal.

Unless some people think 30 year old Drew MacIntyre is their future back-up?

Reimer is RFA, a perfect offersheet opportunity, offer 3.3 and a 2nd. round pick. Leafs won't want to pay their back-up that much, and there is no reason for Reimer to sign for a lowball figure.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
They're going to trade Reimer, it is just a matter of when.
no they're not

Reimer is the goalie for the Maple Leafs
has always been, was the first person to give hope in the netminder position since the longest of time
and will rise no matter who you bring in

blah blah they going to trade Reimer!
yeah sure when Ilya Brgazgalov was brought in, he'd be the allstar goalie right

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Still havent seen remotely enough to declare Bernier #1.

One aspect Reimer has him beat on IMO is the second shot attempt. If Bernier lets out a rebound hes not nearly as good at stopping it as Reimer.

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
I think Bernier can be a elite TOP 5 goalie. But both have my confidence. Sign Reimer to a 2 year $5.8 mill deal and decide which one to keep in 2 years?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'll start off by saying whoever gets us the most wins and the least losses will have my full support. But ftm I am more comfortable with Optimus. May change in the future if Bernier ends up being dominant, but I'm not all that impressed right now. But as long as both wear the maple leaf, I'll cheer my hardest for both of them.

Btw, good job hero, this topic really needed its own thread.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Somewhat off topic but:

Rask
Gustavsson
Scrivens
Reimer
Bernier

all with .930+ save percentages.

We all knew Rask was gonna put up solid numbers. Gustavsson I don't think can maintain that if he plays as many games as Howard does in Detroit and Scrivens is well...Scrivens.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I guess I'm outlier, liking Gus and Ben.

Gus needs those long, long stretches of play to be the goalie he was supposed to be.

Scrivens was less capable, but the new D system did help him out
a bit.

Penalty Kill Icing*

This thread should be renamed Altaris v/s Atomos2. Got at it. :yo:

I'll just sit on the fence on this one.

Agree with OP. Every post game thread was turning into crapping on one of the goalies (regardless of win/loss).

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Bernier all the way. He's better then Reimer, and the sooner people realise it the better.

Better puck handler.
Better rebound control.
Better glove.
Better positioning.

There's more too, but these are the most glaring.

Only thing James has on Bernier is size.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Still havent seen remotely enough to declare Bernier #1.

One aspect Reimer has him beat on IMO is the second shot attempt. If Bernier lets out a rebound hes not nearly as good at stopping it as Reimer.

Dunno about Bernier, but someone on twitter said a few days back that if Reimer keeps letting those rebounds out and still has that sv%, then he is better goalie than his save % indicate because rebounds are even tougher to contain.

Found the tweet:

Draglikepull ‏@draglikepull 18 Oct
FTR if Reimer *does* give up more rebounds than normal I think that makes his SV% even more impressive since rebounds are harder saves
Retweeted by James Mirtle

https://twitter.com/draglikepull/status/391191373388328962

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Bernier all the way. He's better then Reimer, and the sooner people realise it the better.

Better puck handler.
Better rebound control.
Better glove.
Better positioning.

.....and to date results.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
.....and to date results.

NAME GP GA GAA SA PCT SO ENG W L OTL MOI ATOI PIM G A
James Reimer 5 9 2.56 134 .933 0 0 3 0 0 211 42:15 0 0 0
Jonathan Bernier 9 20 2.34 284 .930 1 0 5 4 0 511 56:50 0 0 0

.003SV% more in less then half the minutes Bernier has played. Forgive me if i'm not impressed. He did also absolve Reimer of a loss he would of taken. But i'm not complaining. As long as they win i'll be content.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Unless either wants out, I see no reason not to run with two good goalies going forward. It's working fantastic right now. We're getting quality goaltending every night.

TML 13

Oct 19, 2013

Better puck handler.
Better rebound control.
Better glove.
Better positioning.

I honestly don't know how this is a competition. 12 games in the season and Bernier has already played 9 of them. It didn't take management long to figure out who our guy is, but some fans can't see it

TML 13

Oct 19, 2013
no they're not

Reimer is the goalie for the Maple Leafs
has always been, was the first person to give hope in the netminder position since the longest of time
and will rise no matter who you bring in

blah blah they going to trade Reimer!
yeah sure when Ilya Brgazgalov was brought in, he'd be the allstar goalie right

Yes they will. Why would Nonis trade for a backup. And of all the goalies to get he gets the one who played for our CEO's old team. Bernier trade has Leiweke's fingerprints all over it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
NAME GP GA GAA SA PCT SO ENG W L OTL MOI ATOI PIM G A
James Reimer 5 9 2.56 134 .933 0 0 3 0 0 211 42:15 0 0 0
Jonathan Bernier 9 20 2.34 284 .930 1 0 5 4 0 511 56:50 0 0 0

.003SV% more in less then half the minutes Bernier has played. Forgive me if i'm not impressed. He did also absolve Reimer of a loss he would of taken. But i'm not complaining. As long as they win i'll be content.

Try looking at the whole sample.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad