Official Bernier/Reimer Thread 1.0 - Optimus Reim vs Mega Jon

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Neither goalie has done anything wrong, and both have been strong. I say Reimer next game and see how he does. Take it one game at a time until you can definitely say which goalie is better.

And as much as possible play Reimer against eastern teams because he is more familiar with them while playing Bernier against the western teams that he is more familiar with.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
They're going to trade Reimer, it is just a matter of when.

Bernier needs more time to prove himself before you can make that statement. Earlier this season Bernier started a third game in a row for the first time in his career - you don't want to hand him the reigns prematurely. Let him prove himself and then make a decision about what to do with Reimer because the alternative doesn't bear thinking about - trading Reimer and then Bernier not working out when facing the full workload.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Bernier needs more time to prove himself before you can make that statement. Earlier this season Bernier started a third game in a row for the first time in his career - you don't want to hand him the reigns prematurely. Let him prove himself and then make a decision about what to do with Reimer because the alternative doesn't bear thinking about - trading Reimer and then Bernier not working out when facing the full workload.

I agree with this. Keep Reimer until the draft next year and trade him. Sharing the load this year with a 45-35 or 50-30 split to help Bernier get prepared with the rigors that come with being a #1 at the NHL level.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
"opposition trying to steal a game from the leafs? call reim stoppers", this line is absolutely golden! thought i'd share it here.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
I like the thread title too. Just change the "vs." to "and". They are team mates. The Leafs need to keep both of them for us to be a success. I'd love to see both of them get 8 year contract extensions!

Last edited:

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Still havent seen remotely enough to declare Bernier #1.

One aspect Reimer has him beat on IMO is the second shot attempt. If Bernier lets out a rebound hes not nearly as good at stopping it as Reimer.

That's because Bernier barely allows a second attempt. He's very good at controlling his rebound. Something I think it's pretty important.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Leafs should not trade any goalie until the end of the season. People have to know that this is Bernier first full season as starter so consistency might be an issue. Let both have full season to prove themselves before trading one another.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Why should previous seasons matter when Bernier was clearly a back-up getting minimal playing time and Reimer was clearly the starter getting ample amounts of playing time?

Given they were drafted the same year, one got to play for a Cup calibre team while the other played for a bottom feeder and heck even if you ignore all that, one's results are still superior so far this year.

Look, I'm one who hopes we have the same scenario as last time we won the Cup: a stellar goalie combo. That said, for every negative you want to throw at Reimer, he just keeps getting the job done. At some point in time it has to be acknowledged.

wulfio*

Still havent seen remotely enough to declare Bernier #1.

One aspect Reimer has him beat on IMO is the second shot attempt. If Bernier lets out a rebound hes not nearly as good at stopping it as Reimer.

Obviously. Reimer has infinitely more experience in this category than Bernier. But stopping 80% of 10 shots > 95% of 100 shots. Hopefully you don't require me to elaborate on this.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Bernier may be more refined but Reimer just seems to win a lot. His NHL record has been pretty damn impressive so far, especially when you factor in his concussion year and how bad the Ron Wilson teams were. The man just has a knack for winning games.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Obviously. Reimer has infinitely more experience in this category than Bernier. But stopping 80% of 10 shots > 95% of 100 shots. Hopefully you don't require me to elaborate on this.

That's also an extreme example, Reimer's rebounds don't drastically increase the shot count as much as you think.

Last edited:

wulfio*

That's also an extreme example, Reimer's rebounds don't drastically increase the sot count as much as you think.

Sadly i'm required to elaborate. I'm not comparing shot count. I'm comparing 2nd chance opportunities. When Reimer is in net, there's a lot more scramble plays in front of him than when Bernier is in net.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't know how anyone can watch Bernier and still think Reimer has any significant issue with rebounds.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Sadly i'm required to elaborate. I'm not comparing shot count. I'm comparing 2nd chance opportunities. When Reimer is in net, there's a lot more scramble plays in front of him than when Bernier is in net.

Except we've still had those scramble plays in front of our net frequently even with Bernier there. The issue with this team has been the break-out and getting hemmed in the zone for long periods of time. I do believe Bernier has better rebound control and plays a more calm game but I feel like a lot of people sell Reimer short on his capabilities.

wulfio*

I don't know how anyone can watch Bernier and still think Reimer has any significant issue with rebounds.

I don't know how anyone can watch Bernier, and think Reimer doesn't have a significant issue with rebounds.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You're just turning a blind eye, because Bernie's been giving up the same rebounds.

Actually, he's been giving up more bad rebounds in recent games than Reimer usually does.

wulfio*

Except we've still had those scramble plays in front of our net even with Bernier there. The issue with this team has been the break-out and getting hemmed in the zone for long periods of time. I do believe Bernier has better rebound control and plays a more calm game but I feel like a lot of people sell Reimer short on his capabilities.

I don't remember talking about the leafs defensive game. I just said 80% of 10 is better than 95% of 100. The comment was in response to the person talking about 2nd chance shots from rebounds.

My comment still stands, and now you're diverging for who knows what purpose.

wulfio*

You're just turning a blind eye, because Bernie's been giving up the same rebounds.

Actually, he's been giving up more bad rebounds in recent games than Reimer usually does.

No, it's pretty clear when you watch Berniers game vs. Reimer what the differences are. I think your bias is getting in the way.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bernier is giving up the same rebounds, or worse.

Anyone who's being honest with themselves can see it.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
That's also an extreme example, Reimer's rebounds don't drastically increase the sot count as much as you think.

That's only because the maligned D in front doesn't get credit for the work they do in front. Reimers rebounds leads to extended shifts and results to tired legs in front that evidently can wear a team out... It's harder to play D when your goalie constantly gives up rebounds this is the main edge you get with Bernier. He's a cycle killer understanding the importance of freezing the puck keeps the team in front fresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad